• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 7 PSVR2 vs Regular PS5 Graphics Comparison

Toreal

GT7 is one of the best PSVR2 games I tested so far, the sense of speed and control you get with VR is amazing.
Sure there are some tradeoffs to get this running in VR, but when you are immersed in racing it looks and feels great.
I would recommend GT7 to anyone with a PSVR2 to give it a try.

Klik

Played GT7 whole day yesterday and VR is really amazing but after a while it gets kinda boring since GT physics/ffb/track feel/tyre grip feel is kinda simcade.I mean its a good game but once you try sim games on PC its hard to go back to GT..

Now i think its time to buy VR for my Assetto Corsa😁

RafterXL

That's because it's flat screen capture. In the headset it uses Foveated rendering.

The amount of people assuming it looks exactly like that inside the headset VS flat capture is mine boggling

It just exposes people who have never tried VR, that's all.
You guts are crazy, the IQ in ALL the reviews and that video above are all BETTER than what you get in the actual headset.

Sure, VR is more immersive but it's not higher resolution or cleaner than what your seeing in these comparisons, it's the opposite. And don't tell me I haven't played it in VR because I just boxed it back up this morning for a return.

You guys are still doing what the previews did, which is overselling the image quality.

GHG

You guts are crazy, the IQ in ALL the reviews and that video above are all BETTER than what you get in the actual headset.

Sure, VR is more immersive but it's not higher resolution or cleaner than what your seeing in these comparisons, it's the opposite. And don't tell me I haven't played it in VR because I just boxed it back up this morning for a return.

You guys are still doing what the previews did, which is overselling the image quality.

Yeh, no.

This is the case for every single VR headset in existence - if you get your IPD correct and are in the sweet spot then the IQ will be far better than what you'll see in any video you can watch of VR footage simply due to the distance of your eyes to the screens.

If you can't get it set up correctly then all you'll end up with is a blurry mess all the time.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Yeh, no.

This is the case for every single VR headset in existence - if you get your IPD correct and are in the sweet spot then the IQ will be far better than you'll see in any video you can watch of VR footage simply due to the distance of your eyes to the screens.

If you can't get it set up correctly then all you'll end up with is a blurry mess all the time.
Yep. Even with Index or Vive, you have to take your time and find the “sweet spot,” otherwise it’s a Vaseline machine.

Most VR vets know this vs people new to it who can’t be fucked with a teeny bit of patience and tweaking.

Last edited:

Unknown?

Idontbelieveyou.gif

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Donald Trump GIF by reactionseditor

Ar¢tos

Sony needs to make a special psvr2 for media outlets that allows capture of what is rendered in the headset at real framerate instead of flat screen hdmi capture.

Last edited:

Gamerguy84

There is a lot wrong with this comparison. The game looks way sharper in VR.

1. It'd being shown on a flat 2D screen.

2. I would ask the author if this is one eye stream recording because it looks like it. VR uses two separate images and combines them.

3. VR2 has eye tracking with foveated rendering where this video doesn't. In VR2 where you are looking is where it's focused.

4. I played for hours last night and the details are amazing. The garage as well. The car looks so real like you can get in and drive away.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future

It's a bit of both. The more blurry parts of the image will be in your peripheral vision so will not look blurry. But you will be up super close to what you see in that video so it would be like playing a couple of feet from like a 65 inch TV.

This thread will not end well lol. Everyone who has played the PSVR2 version knows how much better it looks than that awful comparison, and almost everyone that didn't use the PSVR2 headset will believe that the image look softer because of a faulty capture. Great stuff trying to put PSVR2 in a bad daylight once again. Luckily we see with the real users now that the hype was justified and that the PSVR2 is absolutely mind bogglingly awesome. (Still recovering from my motion sickness after playing though, my mind is a pussy, gotta train hard).

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I was thinking of just getting it but I don't wanna splash out 525 quid at the moment, if Playstation Direct allowed PayPal Pay in 3 I might of considered it.

the thing is, even if this capture looks a bit blurrier - it's not HDR like in the headset, nor using the foveated rendering right, because you don't notice it.

The differences here are: more contrast on the PS5 version, and flat version looks sharper - both will be gone when you put the headset on, with HDR and foveated rendering.

But we can talk about the grass - it's not rendering procedural grass on the PSVR version (minor stuff), and motion blur is disabled because it's not needed.

9/10 PSVR compared to PS5 version.

It's definitely softer looking in VR. Why aren't these so called journalists saying that there is no compromise. While it wouldn't bother me too much, there is definitely compromise.

Foveated rendering based on eye-tracking.

The 2D output will show the parts of the screen outside of the viewer's fovea rendered at low resolutions that the PSVR2-wearer will not see. Everything in the PSVR2-wearer's fovea will be crystal clear.

Last edited:

Minsc

Gold Member
The biggest take I have from playing VR is it addresses my main complaint - on a TV I can barely take my eyes off the road, and the mirrors and speedometer and other details I can't focus on without losing track of the race. But in VR, it's all much easier to look in the mirror then back on the road again, and the sense of depth not present on the TV gives you a lot more information and detail than what just the flat image shows you.

It is getting to the point where the lack of VR knowledge by so many people has to be willing and deliberate. If this guy doesn't understand technology, why is he making comparison videos about technology?

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
How does it fit with glasses, anyone tried it yet? Is there enough space, does it touch the lenses? And how does the Foveated rendering work with glasses.

jm89

Good luck capturing foveated rendering.

Happy Eddie Murphy GIF by Laff

PSVR2 version is also 120hz.
Some vr enthusiasts where testing out if they could see any quality diffrence in their peripheral vision and they couldn't see any difference. They did a good job with their implementation.

The whole industry is like that. VR needs to be experienced. You can never capture how it is by showing a regular flat image.
Oh agreed. And it is hard to articulate that something that looks like THIS:

5912702e5bafe3d43f179d0a

Can feel unbelievably immersive using even janky PSVR. It doesn't matter how dumb a game's graphics are, when it literally looks and feels like you are there it is a whole different level of immersion.

Top Bottom