• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 7 PSVR2 vs Regular PS5 Graphics Comparison

Fredrik

Oh agreed. And it is hard to articulate that something that looks like THIS:

5912702e5bafe3d43f179d0a

Can feel unbelievably immersive using even janky PSVR. It doesn't matter how dumb a game's graphics are, when it literally looks and feels like you are there it is a whole different level of immersion.
Yup. I’ve had some of my coolest gaming experiences with Skyrim VR, heavily modded but still it’s a very old game now. It’s impossible to showcase how cool it is without actually letting someone try it first hand.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
wjS46S9.jpg

Fuck all these comparison vid's I'm off to try it for myself. Will update on if iv wasted £600

EDIT update from below.

So yeah, there is naturally degradation, one thing I notice is that cars in front have noticeable pop into higher quality model as I get closer to them, and there is 100% a noticeable dip in quality...

However, I am never playing GT7 regularly ever again, even with the graphical downgrades it's is just... amazing to be driving in VR, its something you can't really explain to people unless they have tried VR before, which is half the issue with getting people onboard.

Last edited:

ABnormal

It's definitely softer looking in VR. Why aren't these so called journalists saying that there is a compromise. While it wouldn't bother me too much, there is definitely compromise.
There's a fundamental flaw to comparisons between flat and PSVR2 screen resolutions: the PSVR2 image is always only one of the two eyes, which has half the number of pixels. But when viewed in the headset, our visual system fuses the two images in one single perception, and the perceived pixel density is the total number of pixels of both images.
One single PSVR2 frame will always look softer compared to one flat one, but that's not what happens looking in the headset itself.
The only things that can be analyzed are assets, lighting, textures, shaders, etc.
Also foveated rendering will make most of the image blurry. Only the person playing will see only the high quality area.

Last edited:

Markio128

I just tried the truck race at the big willow - wow! It’s a night race and the lighting is phenomenal - the glare of the other racers headlights glinting in your rear view mirror, and lighting up your dashboard, is properly smile inducing. Then the way your own headlights make the rear of the other trucks in front glow realistically. I mean, I loved it on the flat screen, but the lighting effects are so cool in VR.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
So yeah, there is naturally degradation, one thing I notice is that cars in front have noticeable pop into higher quality model as I get closer to them, and there is 100% a noticeable dip in quality...

However, I am never playing GT7 regularly ever again, even with the graphical downgrades it's is just... amazing to be driving in VR, its something you can't really explain to people unless they have tried VR before, which is half the issue with getting people onboard.

Last edited:

treemk

Banned
So yeah, there is naturally degradation, one thing I notice is that cars infront of noticeable pop into higher quality as I get closer to them, and there is 100% a noticeable dip in quality...

However, I am never playing GT7 regularly ever again, even with the graphical downgrades it's is just... amazing to he driving in VR, its something you can't really exsplain to people unless they have tried VR before, which is half the issue with getting people onboard.

This really seems like THE vr killer app. Just the quality of the product combined with driving being such a natural fit for vr. My problem is I don't even want to like it, I don't need a new habit in my life where I'm trying to resist spending hours of my day with a screen inches from my face and completely shut out from the real world. It honestly seems like picking up a new drug habit at this point.

unclbenn

whats the problem? your taking a 2k image and comparing it to a 4k image, of course its gonna look a bit blurry in a 2d side by side.

Crayon

You guts are crazy, the IQ in ALL the reviews and that video above are all BETTER than what you get in the actual headset.

Sure, VR is more immersive but it's not higher resolution or cleaner than what your seeing in these comparisons, it's the opposite. And don't tell me I haven't played it in VR because I just boxed it back up this morning for a return.

You guys are still doing what the previews did, which is overselling the image quality.

oop got another one.

You bought one to have it for a day and send it back and now you are going to tout your "experience" with it for the rest of the generation.

RafterXL

oop got another one.

You bought one to have it for a day and send it back and now you are going to tout your "experience" with it for the rest of the generation.
You're hilarious. I've owned multiple VR headsets and tried even more. You guys claimed that the complaints are from people who have never used VR and that's bullshit. Hell, the majority of complaints on /PSVR are from people who have used VR previously.

The image quality of headset was oversold, end of story.

Showing VR on any regular screen is never adequate. Especially people without any imagination get wrong ideas.
VR1 games looked very much like regular PS4 games in flat. But especially games with wider areas, depth that needed better resolution, looked PS3-like inside the headset (or also in the trophy screenshots). I would assume the difference this time might be smaller but without actually trying, I can only have a vague, maybe wrong idea.

Last edited:
Sony seem to be more and more open to multi platform engagement, so is there a chance they might loosen restrictions on PSVR?

For instance, is it even possible to one day use it on pc, or allow non PlayStation store games to run on it?

Presumably, it would be a software (firmware?) issue rather than any inherent hardware incompatibility?

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I mean it’s silly to think it will be 100% the same. Even with the rendering tricks you are still rendering each frame twice.
And with the screen being right on your eyeball .. resolution will always be an issue for that “ soft “ look.
That’s the least of VR’s problems.

Sony seem to be more and more open to multi platform engagement, so is there a chance they might loosen restrictions on PSVR?

For instance, is it even possible to one day use it on pc, or allow non PlayStation store games to run on it?

Presumably, it would be a software (firmware?) issue rather than any inherent hardware incompatibility?

Given it uses inside-out tracking it should be as simple as it is for a WMR headset with Steam VR. When I first connected up my Reverb G2 Steam automatically downloaded a WMR plugin for Steam VR and that was it, works flawlessly with anything that has WMR support, but anything that doesn't sees the controllers treated as a Vive if I recall (only game I have that does it is Borderlands 2 VR) which works well enough. All PSVR2 needs is a driver & Steam VR plugin to work on PC really

K2D

Banned
Such a great showcase for foveated rendering and 120hz 🙌

Laughing Man Lol GIF
Yes - truly a useless comparison.

They would have to do some post processing to accurately represent the vr2's capability. PSVR2 promotional team has got their work cut out for them.

Last edited:
You guts are crazy, the IQ in ALL the reviews and that video above are all BETTER than what you get in the actual headset.

Sure, VR is more immersive but it's not higher resolution or cleaner than what your seeing in these comparisons, it's the opposite. And don't tell me I haven't played it in VR because I just boxed it back up this morning for a return.

You guys are still doing what the previews did, which is overselling the image quality.
U must have never tried a Vr Headset before. Ur getting 2k screens to ur eyeballs of course it’s not gonna look as good as ur tv 😂

We are gonna need 8k screens, if u want to see a noticeable improvement, but that’s around 5 years away.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Yes - truly a useless compassion.

They would have to do some post processing to accurately represent the vr2's capability. PSVR2 promotional team has got their work cut out for them.

It's a great comparison if you've tried VR before.

danklord

Gold Member
I really like to race inside of the VR helmet and then take the headset off and watch the highlights on the tv. It provides a nice break and a chance to drink some water after intense focus.

Drizzlehell

Banned
I was blown away when I read that the game doesn't render the whole picture in the highest resolution but only the direct area that you are looking at, with all of the stuff in your peripheral vision being rendered at a noticeably lower resolution when you look at a flat recording of the gameplay but have no way of noticing it when you're playing.

That's a brilliant way to increase performance and a great way to utilize eye-tracking tech.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
and motion blur is disabled because it's not needed.
Not just because it's not needed - it's because motion blur looks incredibly awful in VR and completely destroys the presentation (sorry John - it's just facts of life).
There are a number of post-process effects that plain don't work in VR - Motion Blur and DOF are at the top of that list.

the thing is, even if this capture looks a bit blurrier
Worth pointing out that social-screen only shows like - 60% of the rendered image, so it's zoomed & cropped view as well. Ie. it's akin to having the flat-image rendered in 24:9 and then only showing the 16:9 portion stretched out.

Last edited:
Given it uses inside-out tracking it should be as simple as it is for a WMR headset with Steam VR. When I first connected up my Reverb G2 Steam automatically downloaded a WMR plugin for Steam VR and that was it, works flawlessly with anything that has WMR support, but anything that doesn't sees the controllers treated as a Vive if I recall (only game I have that does it is Borderlands 2 VR) which works well enough. All PSVR2 needs is a driver & Steam VR plugin to work on PC really
That's pretty positive, right?

K2D

Banned
It's a great comparison if you've tried VR before.
This is closer to comparing fidelity between flat GT sport and flat GT7 sans resolution, framerate and intricacies of the panels. It tells you nothing about image quality perceived with the headset on.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
This is closer to comparing fidelity between flat GT sport and flat GT7 sans resolution, framerate and intricacies of the panels. It tells you nothing about image quality perceived with the headset on.

This is true.

Not just because it's not needed - it's because motion blur looks incredibly awful in VR and completely destroys the presentation (sorry John - it's just facts of life).
There are a number of post-process effects that plain don't work in VR - Motion Blur and DOF are at the top of that list.

Worth pointing out that social-screen only shows like - 60% of the rendered image, so it's zoomed & cropped view as well. Ie. it's akin to having the flat-image rendered in 24:9 and then only showing the 16:9 portion stretched out.
Some would argue motion blur also completely destroys the presentation on a 2D screen (notably in those 60fps games).

ZoukGalaxy

It's definitely softer looking in VR. Why aren't these so called journalists saying that there is a compromise. While it wouldn't bother me too much, there is definitely compromise.
Please try it first and you will understand why any pancake screenshot of the world will never give enough credit to the view inside a VR headset. And, no, it's not like 3D.

Last edited:

Mahavastu

I would consider the chance for official support VERY small. I assume that Sony is selling the headset for a very small profit (if any) and wants to earn money selling software and maybe more PS5 consoles. If the players buy the games via Steam or Epic, there is no business case for Playstation.
You saw how much money Meta lost with their Quest2 despite selling tons of hardware. Another threat said they sold 20Mio units and still lost billions of dollars. Sony does not want that.

It should not be a technical problem: the headset is using USB-C and the eye tracking and the rest can probably done via software driver.
It is more a problem that it makes no financial sense for Sony and is rather counter productive for them.

Last edited:

Tchu-Espresso

likes mayo on everthing and can't dance
Played only a bit of the RE8 demo so far after the setup process seemingly got stuck after the eye tracking.

First home VR experience and I was legit wowed by the sense of depth and immersion. Definitely felt weak at the knees when moving but loved it (as did my wife).

I usually use glasses but get a nice sweet spot without them. Unfortunately that results in some pressure on my nose (but persist due to the nice crisp image). I feel like Sony could have tapered that corner of the lense to account for noses.

Last edited:

Minsc

Gold Member
Hard to compare I think when one system presents the image on a TV where the cars look like they're 4 or 5 inches tall, on a TV that occupies a fraction of your visible area and the other system they're sized true to life and the screen doesn't exist, but you are in the game world and can see from the floor below you to the sky above you.

I would consider the chance for official support VERY small. I assume that Sony is selling the headset for a very small profit (if any) and wants to earn money selling software and maybe more PS5 consoles. If the players buy the games via Steam or Epic, there is no business case for Playstation.
You saw how much money Meta lost with their Quest2 despite selling tons of hardware. Another threat said they sold 20Mio units and still lost billions of dollars. Sony does not want that.

It should not be a technical problem: the headset is using USB-C and the eye tracking and the rest can probably done via software driver.
It is more a problem that it makes no financial sense for Sony and is rather counter productive for them.
Do you reckon it would be possible to hack/break the software to get it running steam games etc...or it not possible without Sony being involved?

Mahavastu

Do you reckon it would be possible to hack/break the software to get it running steam games etc...or it not possible without Sony being involved?
I do not know how hard it is, but if someone really cares I guess it can be cracked.
So far most consoles were hacked, but most times years after sales of them have ended or for firmware from the stone age nobody is using anymore. If PC support is really that important for you, I would not buy the PSVR2 now, expecting/hoping to use it soon.

Last edited:
I do not know how hard it is, but if someone really cares I guess it can be cracked.
So far most consoles were hacked, but most times years after sales of them have ended or for firmware from the stone age nobody is using anymore. If PC support is really that important for you, I would not buy the PSVR2 now, expecting/hoping to use it soon.
It's not really an issue for me as I very much doubt I'll be buying PSVR2, or any VR for that matter.

I was just curious, from a technical perspective.

Top Bottom