• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scorn - Reviews Thread

Topher

Gold Member
Take a shot everytime Game Pass is drop in the review thread:
sf6CpGS.gif

And the award for most appropriate avatar in a thread ever goes to....

835914.jpg

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Take a shot everytime Game Pass is drop in the review thread:
sf6CpGS.gif

Its a relevant detail unless you think cost and value for money shouldn't be a factor in reviews.

Upfront a lot of us were skeptical that there was going to be enough content and variety to justify the visuals, and it seems like that's actually a pretty valid complaint. That the positive reviews seem to uniformly deprecate that as a concern strikes me as being a little unusual. Especially when the art-work is so brazenly derivative.

I do wonder and I posted this elsewhere, whether people give up on games too easily because they tried them on GamePass and didn't have to spend money on them outside of the subscription cost that they've already paid.
Maybe... but I can tell you that I've given up on games that I've paid for (terrible habit) but then again it might be a "me" problem and my amazing ability to lose interest very quickly. My wonder is if a 6 gets a pass since "at least it was free," not saying that Scorn is a 6 but I personally have been more "kind" to something "free" since it was free. I've enjoyed mediocre meals because they were free, but I didn't pay for it so I'm okay with it. If I'd have paid for it, I'd be disappointed. The illusion of "free" is very powerful.

Topher

Gold Member
Its a relevant detail unless you think cost and value for money shouldn't be a factor in reviews.

Game Pass should not be a factor in a review when the game is available for sale outside of Game Pass. Regardless, a review is already highly subjective so adding another layer of subjectivity based on value isn't doing the reader any favors, imo.

Reviews seem to be VERY mixed. From 2/10 to 10/10. Skill Up said the game has various problems but he still highly recommends it which is pretty weird.
His review just popped up on my YT and it's a "strongly recommend." Nothing of what I've seen of Scorn got me to excited, but my tastes usually align with Skill Up's so it'll be interesting to see what his reasoning. If it makes sense in the video, then I'll be sacrificing some bandwidth to Scorn.

jaysius

Banned
Gamespot review:

• Combat quickly becomes a main focus and is immensely frustrating
  • Automatic saves and game-breaking bugs can force full level restarts, wiping out hours of progress

Those things are truly frightening, almost worth waiting for a patch, but these kind of games rarely get it.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Game Pass should not be a factor in a review when the game is available for sale outside of Game Pass. Regardless, a review is already highly subjective so adding another layer of subjectivity based on value isn't doing the reader any favors, imo.

I disagree because this is pretty good example of a situation where Gamepass is a major positive versus traditional distribution in terms of it being worth the user's time and money.

This is a short, single-player only game with limited replayability but has high production-values and artistic virtues. Its an archetypal "once and done" experience, especially as it doesn't offer much in terms of what is traditionally considered "fun" in a video-game.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Gamespot review:

• Combat quickly becomes a main focus and is immensely frustrating
  • Automatic saves and game-breaking bugs can force full level restarts, wiping out hours of progress

Those things are truly frightening, almost worth waiting for a patch, but these kind of games rarely get it.
GIF by iHeartRadio

There is no way this game is a 1. I can see lowest a 3 or 4 if that's your opinion, but a 1 or even a 2?

That should be reserved for total unplayable and broken trash.
I take this back.

OsirisBlack

Banned
There is no way this game is a 1. I can see lowest a 3 or 4 if that's your opinion, but a 1 or even a 2?

That should be reserved for total unplayable and broken trash.
So the game is absolutely Gorgeous but has less/worse gameplay than the Order 1886.

So the same people that complained about that game will be in here complaining about this game, or at least should.

On PC, no hard errors or crashes yet after the first hour.

Last edited:

Beechos

Wow this game is pretty bad and boring so far. Very ambigious as to what is going on or what to do, the controls also suck. I think i was spot on comparing it to agony.

They should make this a vr rollercoster/sightseeing game, thatll put the environment and artstyle to much better use.

Last edited:
I'll give it an honest run but seriously nobody was expecting this to be game of the year.

Crackdown 3 was a "piece of shit" and I had a blast playing it.

The difference with Scorn is I don't expect it to be all that fun. It looks like it has stiff controls, and the pacing looks to be slow as hell.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
So the game is absolutely Gorgeous but has less/worse gameplay than the Order 1886.

So the same people that complained about that game will be in here complaining about this game, or at least should.

On PC, no hard errors or crashes yet after the first hour.

Just the first 30 minute has more puzzles and involved game play than The Order did, to be honest :messenger_beaming:

OsirisBlack

Banned
I think I'm going to power through this but it is dead ass the most boring game I have played since ....... maybe king Arthur on floppy disc. A reviewer said it's only 4-5 hours to beat so ill buckle down after work. The comparison is appropriate though, both have amazing graphics for their time and atmosphere. I am a huge Giger fan a lot of my sci-fi is inspired by some of his lesser-seen artwork, had my eye on this for a while. Kind of a let down. I'm holding out hope for the Calisto Protocol though (please be good)

About the Gif LMAO yep.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
So, it's not good?

If it's got bugs I'm out but I'm interested in a slow methodical creep fest. I mean I'll try it myself but interested in hearing what people playing it think.

adamsapple

So, it's not good?

If it's got bugs I'm out but I'm interested in a slow methodical creep fest. I mean I'll try it myself but interested in hearing what people playing it think.

If you're a game pass sub, there's no hesitation like over paying for a 4~ hour game. Give it a shot and if you don't like it you have a lot of other things to choose from.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Yes and so is peoples time. If my feeling is that I wouldn't pay for something then I probably shouldn't be wasting my time playing it.

That's just me though.

True but being objective about it, if you already subscribe because there is stuff on there already that you would buy otherwise... something like this is a straight freebie.

I dunno honestly. On one hand I think its good that the devs get paid and more people will give it a shot, but on the other I despair at the way its just going to be disposable "filler" content for likely a far greater number of people, and the tone it sets for gaming as a whole.

adamsapple

Yes and so is peoples time. If my feeling is that I wouldn't pay for something then I probably shouldn't be wasting my time playing it.

That's just me though.

Of course, I would never ask people to play x game just because it is easier to access for them, if it doesn't seem appealing to them.

But there is something to be said that the game being on day 1 on a convenient sub service of your choice makes the barrier to entry a lot easier, or at least gives you the opportunity to sample it via something like Xcloud before you even decide to download it.

There are definitely conveniences to it for a gamers benefit.

Last edited:

GHG

True but being objective about it, if you already subscribe because there is stuff on there already that you would buy otherwise... something like this is a straight freebie.

I dunno honestly. On one hand I think its good that the devs get paid and more people will give it a shot, but on the other I despair at the way its just going to be disposable "filler" content for likely a far greater number of people, and the tone it sets for gaming as a whole.

But that's my point, the idea that people see it as free is an incorrect one - you are paying for the subscription and your way of giving feedback on the service is via what you spend time playing. Your time is a vital part of this equation, more so than most people realise.

Spending an inordinate amount of time on games you don't enjoy just because they are included in your subscription verging on the sunk cost fallacy. Nevermind the fact that it also sends the wrong message.

Not talking about this game in particular by the way because I think it looks pretty interesting on the face of it. But in general I think it's more important than ever that people are actually more strict with their time when it comes to engaging with subscription services.

Of course, I would never ask people to play x game just because it is easier to access for them, if it doesn't seem appealing to them.

But there is something to be said that the game being on day 1 on a convenient sub service of your choice makes the barrier to entry a lot easier, or at least gives you the opportunity to sample it via something like Xcloud before you even decide to download it.

There are definitely conveniences to it for a gamers benefit.

You trying to sell me on cloud gaming now?

Scheming Jim Carrey GIF

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?

That's just me though.

That's the feeling that led me to cancelling my Gamefly subscription way back when. I was spending all my free time playing the likes of Bujingai instead of games I was truly interested in. I do think services like Gamepass are a little different as you don't have the "pressure" of managing a queue to get your next game. I look at Gamepass as a nice demo service as I can count on one hand how many games I've finished from the offering.

As far as mentioning Game Pass in a review, I think it's useful information to have when mentioning platforms but shouldn't factor into the review otherwise. Then again, I think reviews are largely worthless these days thanks in part to service like Gamepass.

Reactions: GHG

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
Tried it for a bit after going in blind, didn't know it was one of those silent, horror puzzle games, not really my jam; looks interesting though, uninstalled.

DragonNCM

Solid 3/10 from me.......damn bad combat design, checkpoints are so bad desighned.....game is a real slugfest, puzzles are bad balanced......only graphic is good.
Good thing is game is on GP.

Last edited:
Top Bottom