• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sea of Stars is removing 'The Completionist' NPC from the game

Draugoth

Gold Member
Announced in their Discord Server

ErNyWYH.jpg

sea-of-stars-mirth-guide-header.jpg

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Seriously. I guess it guarantees at least 1 shill video and if they have a huge audience it could be worth it. It just feels lame to me. Like imagine fuckin Markiplier popping up in a Tarantino movie.
I already dont like the idea putting Hollywood celebrities in video games let alone youtubers. I personally find it super cringy and just takes me out of the experience.

Last edited:
Having him in the game isn't "speech" so how is removing him censorship?

Is content being changed or removed for reasons related to subjective moral, political, or religious values? If yes, that's censorship.

This particular case is actually pretty debatable though, especially with the developer specifically saying "it is not our place to pass judgement." No one is leading the cause to protect scam charities here, so it's not a subjective moral disagreement. It's more a matter of some people wanting to see more evidence and for him to have his day in court. That's not exactly a moral judgement, so this isn't exactly censorship.

I guess I agree with you that this isn't censorship, but I have a different way that I reached that conclusion.

HL3.exe

After that terrible explanation, good. This guy needs to come up with a better excuse, or just shut up and show the paperwork.

I'm not a big fan of canceling, but companies should be free to independently decide how to conduct such situations.

Winter John

Gold Member
The thing I hate about assholes like this guy is their bullshit encourages other assholes to get up on their soapboxes and brag about why they don’t give nothing to help others out. Like they ever did in the first place. This fuckin scumbag should be dragged. He’s a fuckin lowlife. That doesn’t mean the rest of us shouldn’t be helping out in whatever ways we can. You don’t hafta donate cash. You can donate your skills. You can help a charity out in ways that reward you and them. It doesn’t hafta be a one way street. I work in the local soup kitchen a couple of times a month. It ain’t much but it helps them and it makes me feel good doing something that benefits our community. All I’m saying is you don’t hafta spend money you don’t have or make some big sacrifice to help people in your area. Go find a local charity your interested in and give them a hand.

BossLackey

Gold Member
Deleting a part of a digital product people have already bought falls in the domain of censorship. I wrote nothing about speech.

The complete (hah!) edition of this game is now the physical unpatched version.

It's a very strange world we're living in when it comes to digital media. It used to be when something shipped, regardless of format, that was that. It stayed that way.

Now creators are able to do stuff like this and it's very strange.

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
The thing I hate about assholes like this guy is their bullshit encourages other assholes to get up on their soapboxes and brag about why they don’t give nothing to help others out. Like they ever did in the first place. This fuckin scumbag should be dragged. He’s a fuckin lowlife. That doesn’t mean the rest of us shouldn’t be helping out in whatever ways we can. You don’t hafta donate cash. You can donate your skills. You can help a charity out in ways that reward you and them. It doesn’t hafta be a one way street. I work in the local soup kitchen a couple of times a month. It ain’t much but it helps them and it makes me feel good doing something that benefits our community. All I’m saying is you don’t hafta spend money you don’t have or make some big sacrifice to help people in your area. Go find a local charity your interested in and give them a hand.
A man after my own heart. Hats off to ya gent.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Is content being changed or removed for reasons related to subjective moral, political, or religious values? If yes, that's censorship.

This particular case is actually pretty debatable though, especially with the developer specifically saying "it is not our place to pass judgement." No one is leading the cause to protect scam charities here, so it's not a subjective moral disagreement. It's more a matter of some people wanting to see more evidence and for him to have his day in court. That's not exactly a moral judgement, so this isn't exactly censorship.

I guess I agree with you that this isn't censorship, but I have a different way that I reached that conclusion.
it's not "censorship" because it is the devs removing this character from their own game. I assume that you believe that people should have some control over their own artistic works, and that is all this is. Plus, Jirard didn't have a speech platform in the game - he was literally a character speaking lines that were written by the devs. He is not being silenced.

Censorship would be YouTube removing him from the platform.

Last edited:
The thing I hate about assholes like this guy is their bullshit encourages other assholes to get up on their soapboxes and brag about why they don’t give nothing to help others out.
I think their gripe is more with people pretending to be nice in front of a camera but then being shitty behind it. I agree with the rest of your rant though.

Geomancer86

Neo Member
The right way to solve this, instead of just sweeping the issue under the rug and patching the guy out, should be adding gameplay/quests related, and have the player donating to the NPC something and the NPC not doing the promised stuff, pile on the laughs and make the issue clear for everyone out of the loop, the guy is a thief.

taizuke

If Jirard's response wasn't so atrocious, I don't think they would have done this.

But his attitude towards being called out and doubling down on lies made the situation worse.

I agree.

Anyway, i think this news is going to hit Jirard hard. Being in the game was extremely special to him. Not only did he loved their previous game, but Sabotage's choice of genres and inspiration for their games resonated with him too. Seeing himself in the game was super emotional given that he kickstarted the game but forgot (i know) to fill out the form to be immortalized as a statue in the game as a thank you to the backers. It's funny cause he says he always forgets to do that stuff...

A part of me thinks this news could possibly make him stop doing youtube altogether. After all, this is a developer he loves and fully respects. To see them do this is going to devastate him.

Last edited:

Portugeezer

I agree.

Anyway, i think this news is going to hit Jirard hard. Being in the game was extremely special to him. Not only did he loved their previous game, but Sabotage's choice of genres and inspiration for their games resonated with him too. Seeing himself in the game was super emotional given that he kickstarted the game but forgot (i know) to fill out the form to be immortalized as a statue in the game as a thank you to the backers. It's funny cause he says he always forgets to do that stuff...

A part of me thinks this news could possibly make him stop doing youtube altogether. After all, this is a developer he loves and fully respects. To see them do this is going to devastate him.
I think if he just makes the style of videos he's known for, he'll get by for sure, despite having lost some subscribers.

But in the short term it might take the passion of it out of him.

ByWatterson

Err, it's their game. That's not censorship.

That's editing.

ckaneo

The correct move for Jirad was to say I'm sorry, my accountants/family fucked up, and then donate around 700k to 1 Million dollars to charity.

Donating only 600K isnt enough because while it's close to the number on the books, we know the books werent any good. And getting mad at being exposed isnt going to make the problem go away. Now they are gonna at your neck. And if you sue them the books will come out which is what they wanted lol.

Err, it's their game. That's not censorship.

That's editing.
No once it's shipped that should be it unless it's new content or fixes. Imagine they do this to a whole quest because some thin skinned special identity/interest group throws a hissy fit on x/Twitter or what not. I can see that shit coming. Don't change the past as it's part of the product.

I don't even know who this is or the situation, I'm just very very much against revisionist history and depersoning /cancel culture bs.

Last edited:

Scotty W

Gold Member
Bro .. the industry didn't lead him to scam charities.

The industry spent 30 odd years filling his mind with crime simulators like Grand Theft Automobile and murder simulators like Mortal Combat and Call of Duty, then it waves its toys in his face “you can’t afford me, I am so much fun nya nya nya” and you have the absolute GALL to tell me the industry didn’t lead him to scam charities?

reinking

Gold Member
The industry spent 30 odd years filling his mind with crime simulators like Grand Theft Automobile and murder simulators like Mortal Combat and Call of Duty, then it waves its toys in his face “you can’t afford me, I am so much fun nya nya nya” and you have the absolute GALL to tell me the industry didn’t lead him to scam charities?
You forgot this. /s

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

tumblr_mm1hem04Tm1s7gnr1o1_400.gif

it's not "censorship" because it is the devs removing this character from their own game. I assume that you believe that people should have some control over their own artistic works, and that is all this is. Plus, Jirard didn't have a speech platform in the game - he was literally a character speaking lines that were written by the devs. He is not being silenced.

Censorship would be YouTube removing him from the platform.
Again, I don't think the situation with Jirard was censorship, for the reasons I mentioned above.

But I can think of a situation where someone was removed from a game because they said something that offended people. They "didn't have a speech platform in the game," and were "literally a character speaking lines that were written by the devs." and they were "not being silenced."

Nevertheless, I would argue that removing him from the game was an act of censorship, because the change was made because of his speech, and based on morality, politics, or religion. And really, that's just a more detailed list of reasons, and you can probably stop at morality. Politics and religion are just variations of wanting to remove content based on morality.

That's not the case with Jirard. With Jirard we're getting into semantics a bit, and I could make an argument for either, but I don't really see it as censorship.

Top Bottom