• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sea of Stars is removing 'The Completionist' NPC from the game

ssringo

All I know is I couldn't bring myself to play the game anymore because I felt violated by his inclusion. Thank god they removed him or I would have never felt safe playing the game.

Fox Tv GIF by Bob's Burgers

DavJay

He should have taken the L and move on instead of trying to act tough and clap back. Karl latest video owned him so hard I think he should be put in prison. Behind the friendly and innocent completionist persona is a vile evil bad man that have no morals. Using his dead mom to make people take pity on him and give him money. Lies after lies after lies

I feel this is part of a larger issue with the industry. We accept major changes to games after purchase. All platforms should require significant changes to games to be opt-in, with the original release still being supported. GOG essentially does this by having a version roll-back system, and providing pre-patch full installs for download. Steam needs to add the ability to disable updates, or a version selection.

An extreme example is Overwatch. I was just thinking about it this morning. I bought that game at full price, and now I cannot play the game due to the publisher forcing everyone to migrate to Overwatch 2. Skyrim Special Edition had Creation Club content as a mandatory update, with no way to disable it, and the original Skyrim is de-listed.

edit: missed the post by nkarafo who shares my sentiments in a more eloquent manner.

This!!! There should be an outrage among gamers and journalists over this kinda thing but therein lies the problem. We collectively have just been accepting more and more bullshit from devs and publishers over the past 5-10 years and it's gotten really crazy in the last 2-3 with what they get away with.

For fucks sake look what Bungie was able to get away with for Destiny 2 and "vaulting" over $150 worth of content we paid for! We'll NEVER be able to replay the entire CAMPAIGNS of D2 and the excellent Forsaken! If that's not proof of how expendable these company's view their games and fans as then I don't know what else is ...

Or in a different aspect of gaming, look what Microsoft has pushed for with multiplayer gaming (now Sony starting go as well) in how they've changed it to promarily forced Crossplay! They do this solely for "engagement" numbers and more mtx sales. The result? Console gamers never know whether they're on a level playing field anymore because these devs don't even bother making crossplau input based. Even if it is input based, console gamers have to deal with PC cheating. This is a big deal because it shows developers don't even care about fairness in multiplayer.

If you look at user reviews and comments on message boards you see that MANY people are not happy with this but it doesnt matter, these companies don't give a fuck. Microsoft could put a stop to this at a platform level but it's been part of their agenda under Spencer to have this "gaming with anyone, anywhere, any platform" bullshit.

The latest Cod is the same on Playstation now, right? I know BF2042 essentially has forced crossplay as well so Sony has hopped on board. These are the kind of things that are ruining gaming today. They really are and people are slowly realizing it.

Raonak

Banned
Patch a game isn't cencorship™.

this is about a developer exercising their freedom™ to modify their own product as they see fit.

taizuke

One thing to consider is that Jirard did back Sea of Stars. I don't know the amount but it was enough to have him immortalised in the game and as i said earlier in this thread, he forgot to fill out the form but to his surprise the devs included him anyway. Jirard also heavily promoted the game and named it his GOTY 2023 when it released.

Is this fair? Sabotage benefited from Jirard's exposure and praise of the game, and he even promoted and donated to their kickstarter. Now, no tier would give the backer their own character like Jirard got, but he did give them money to be in the game. So, give him his money back, right?

At the end of the day, some of you will argue "it's their game, they can do whatever they want". But, i don't know. I understand their reasoning to remove Jirard but i don't agree with it.

Last edited:

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
I love Sea of Stars and have no real strong feelings for Jirard, but I don't like seeing games being altered in this way post release. While I can't say this is necessarily censorship, it is too close for comfort to that mindset. I would say just leave him in the game and don't work with him or accept is money in the future.

Kings Field

I didn’t even know who this cringelord was until yesterday. I would have played the game and not even realized he was a YouTube cuck.

Shifty1897

It's a tough situation with probably no right answer. If it was me making the call, I probably would have released a statement saying we have no comment at this time pending legal action, and if/when he is convicted of charges brought by the IRS, then announce the removal of his character from the game. Otherwise, just distance from the guy and move on.

rkofan87

Gold Member
All I know is I couldn't bring myself to play the game anymore because I felt violated by his inclusion. Thank god they removed him or I would have never felt safe playing the game.

Fox Tv GIF by Bob's Burgers's Burgers
i hope this is real post on reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee lmao

Interfectum

The industry spent 30 odd years filling his mind with crime simulators like Grand Theft Automobile and murder simulators like Mortal Combat and Call of Duty, then it waves its toys in his face “you can’t afford me, I am so much fun nya nya nya” and you have the absolute GALL to tell me the industry didn’t lead him to scam charities?
Billy Madison Shut Up GIF

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God

Dick Jones

Gold Member
The industry spent 30 odd years filling his mind with crime simulators like Grand Theft Automobile and murder simulators like Mortal Combat and Call of Duty, then it waves its toys in his face “you can’t afford me, I am so much fun nya nya nya” and you have the absolute GALL to tell me the industry didn’t lead him to scam charities?
This comment is incredible. Thank you for the post.

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member

It was just he talking dumb, but a lot of people treated him as a full on racist because that was the Trump-nazi-era

Fortunately everything was kinda moved on and he made one of the most watched videos on the internet:

I still miss his videogame reviews thou

Holy shit I might actually be having a heart attack. This shit had me rolling

"He's huffed too much flex glue now all he sees is martians"

radewagon

Is it revisionism to cancel the guy from your game? Of course it is.

Is that a problem? I dunno. Maybe? That's debatable. If it's the people that made the game, it gets a little hairier.

A group of artists made a game and they wanted it to be interpreted in a specific way. Part of that was including a youtube personality that was added to elicit a specific type of response from the player. If that youtuber then does something that interferes with the original desired response, then that moment that had been crafted has been recontextualized to now mean something else. Like it or not, even without a revisionist removal, that original moment has been revised by recent events. If we look at censorship as being negative because it erases original intent, then removing him, in this case, is kind of a wash. The original intent had already been bastardized. Is it wrong to remove something that no longer serves its original purpose and, in fact, acts as a hinderance to it? I dunno. Maybe?

All I know is that if anyone is fit to make that judgement, it's definitely the devs.

Regardless. Physical Media is important for exactly this reason. Things can change for a variety of reasons, but previous versions of a work should be available and preserved.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Is it revisionism to cancel the guy from your game? Of course it is.

Is that a problem? I dunno. Maybe? That's debatable. If it's the people that made the game, it gets a little hairier.

A group of artists made a game and they wanted it to be interpreted in a specific way. Part of that was including a youtube personality that was added to elicit a specific type of response from the player. If that youtuber then does something that interferes with the original desired response, then that moment that had been crafted has been recontextualized to now mean something else. Like it or not, even without a revisionist removal, that original moment has been revised by recent events. If we look at censorship as being negative because it erases original intent, then removing him, in this case, is kind of a wash. The original intent had already been bastardized. Is it wrong to remove something that no longer serves its original purpose and, in fact, acts as a hinderance to it? I dunno. Maybe?

All I know is that if anyone is fit to make that judgement, it's definitely the devs.

Regardless. Physical Media is important for exactly this reason. Things can change for a variety of reasons, but previous versions of a work should be available and preserved.
Physical media and their description of the version that is getting to sale

Let me explain: I had the original version of the Mega Drive and Sonic. If you play, the sounds and music are the classic tunes that we all know. In a later date, I played on a more modern Mega Drive, and didn't sound the same. Researching a little, I saw that sound chips were changed from the versions, and that kinda fucked up the music from basically every game

Another example was with Ocarina of Time, that the version 1.0 has some chanting different from the more common final(?) 1.3 version

Scotty W

Gold Member
This comment is incredible. Thank you for the post.
Thank you friend. If I may take this opportunity to hawk my stillborn warez:

Top Bottom