• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sea Of Thieves on PS5: 120 FPS, supports Crossplay, More than 250 Trophies including Platinum

Because it was up to Rare where they ported it for the health of the game. Saddling it with a previous gen console isn't for the health of the game.

The suits don't care about the "health of the game". $ talks. As I said in my previous post, just business.

The game can easily run on the Switch

It can't lol

The number of player characters in that vast open world, would chug the living daylights (unable to even maintain a playable 30 FPS) out of that shit tier CPU on the 2017 Tegra, let alone scene complexity of SoT.

It's the same reason why Hi-Fi Rush isn't on PS4/Xbox One.

Last edited:

NickFire

I‘ve been interested in this one. 120 option makes me even more interested. I like the option in COD and still amazed we can get that on consoles. We’ve come a long way since Ataris.

It runs on a launch Xbox One still. It could.

The launch Xbox One would, still, categorically shit on the Switch hardware perf like no tomorrow.

Just because the Switch could barely run KCD, Witcher 3, Doom Eternal and a bunch of other singleplayer games etc, at visual settings that give you eye cancer, doesn't mean it works for every game.

Open world GaaS games that have drop-in/drop out human player characters, for co-op or competitive MP, often rely on heavy CPU utilisation in real-time and those tasks cannot be offloaded to the GPU.

"Just drop the internal rendering resolution bro" which seem to be a popular handwave among proponents of Switch ports, doesn't work everytime. It's not how any of this works in game dev.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
I‘ve been interested in this one. 120 option makes me even more interested. I like the option in COD and still amazed we can get that on consoles. We’ve come a long way since Ataris.

It’s a great game, but really quite old. It’s time has come and gone. Perhaps the PS5 release will populate the servers again, but I can’t imagine a hame this old will generate much in sales, but I could be wrong.

ManaByte

It’s a great game, but really quite old. It’s time has come and gone. Perhaps the PS5 release will populate the servers again, but I can’t imagine a hame this old will generate much in sales, but I could be wrong.

The servers are still populated and the game has been growing. They have 30 million players now before the PS5 release.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
The servers are still populated and the game has been growing. They have 30 million players now before the PS5 release.

Shocking to me, given that whenever I jump into a game the last 2 years, the servers are dead, with a sprinkling of trolling kids.

ManaByte

Shocking to me, given that whenever I jump into a game the last 2 years, the servers are dead, with a sprinkling of trolling kids.

Each server is it's own instance with a maximum of 5 ships. When you spawn in you're purposely started away from another ship.

Havoc2049

According to Active Player.io, in March of 2024, Sea of Thieves averaged 617,546 unique players per day and had a total of 2,287,206 unique players for the month.

Top Bottom