• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sea Of Thieves on PS5: 120 FPS, supports Crossplay, More than 250 Trophies including Platinum

Draugoth

Gold Member
The official Sea of Thieves website has confirmed in a Q&A regarding the upcoming PS5 release that the game will run at 120 FPS for Sony’s console, matching the Xbox Series X version of the pirate adventurer. Furthermore, Cross-Play is also officially confirmed, but you can turn it off if you want.

Sea of Thieves on PlayStation 5 is optimised to run at 60 FPS in 4K resolution, with an additional performance mode available for supported TVs allowing for 120Hz refresh rates at 1080p resolution. This has parity with the Xbox Series X experience.

owB2Kq4.jpg

Last edited:
This game is borderline mind blowing in native 4K, 60fps, HDR on PC. That's all I'll ever need out of my games.

60fps is perfect. It feels great on my eyes unlike 3f0fps. And it allows me to blast the graphics to Ultra.

//DEVIL//

I am confused. isn't the same for Xbox series X ? aren't both consoles about the same performance?

why is this news ?

just for the drama from some sad users ?

Last edited:

Danknugz

another highly touted IP that's to me is just another boring ass game i never played and probably never will despite being free for like 8 years

ManaByte

Is there a reason why this game is not launching on PS4 too, like Pentiment, when an Xbox One version is already available?
Pretty sure Rare has data showing that the majority of players have upgraded by now on the Xbox side. No reason to force PS players to not play it on a SSD. Loading on a normal HDD in battle when you need to respawn fast is suicide.

Pretty sure Rare has data showing that the majority of players have upgraded by now on the Xbox side. No reason to force PS players to not play it on a SSD. Loading on a normal HDD in battle when you need to respawn fast is suicide.

I'm talking about Microsoft, not specifically Rare, on the business side of things.

120 million (or more) installed base, millions of whom haven't yet upgraded, and are a significant portion of Playstation MAU's even today.

The whole initiative of these 4 1st party games being ported to PS and Switch are unit sales + revenue/profit. Not because it chugs on a HDD vs SSD. Satya and the BoD, don't give a crap.

ManaByte

I'm talking about Microsoft, not specifically Rare, on the business side of things.

120 million (or more) installed base, millions of whom haven't yet upgraded, and are a significant portion of Playstation MAU's even today.

The whole initiative of these 4 1st party games being ported to PS and Switch are unit sales + revenue/profit. Not because it chugs on a HDD vs SSD. Satya and the BoD, don't give a crap.

Because it was up to Rare where they ported it for the health of the game. Saddling it with a previous gen console isn't for the health of the game.

The game can easily run on the Switch, but they didn't port it there and are saving it for the Switch 2.

Kupfer

Could someone please explain the game to me?
Is there a storyline?
What kinds of quests are there?
Do you just wander around aimlessly and search for PoIs to loot?
Can you level up?
Does additional game content cost money?
What is the gameplay loop like?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Is there a storyline?
Can you level up?

Yes.

Is there a storyline?
Can you level up?
Start with Tall Tales. They are somewhat story focused and will ease you into mechanics.

If you are still enjoying it then look into how to become a pirate legend.

Try to get some friends to play. And prepare for more experienced players to loot your stuff at beginning.

And don’t expect any handholding whatsoever.

ManaByte

Sandbox Pirate MMO.

Is there a storyline?

Yes, but it's not a cinematic over the shoulder single-player narrative with big set piece cut scenes. The storyline is told through Tall Tales and over seasons of content. There are also Pirates of the Caribbean and Monkey Island Tall Tales.

Each trading company has different types of voyages. Merchants are finding or delivering cargo, Gold Hoarders are digging up treasure or unlocking treasure vaults, Order of Souls are high-seas Ghostbusters hunting skeleton captains for their skulls. Then there are sea forts and skeleton forts, ship fleet battles, and a whole lot of other voyages. There's never not something to do.

You can or you can do a voyage which is basically a quest.

Can you level up?

You can level 1-100 with each trading company. Once you hit level 100 you unlock a cosmetic ring and then can reset your progress back to level 1 and level up to 100 again (like CoD Prestige used to work) for another ring. Once you hit level 50 with three of the trading companies you unlock the endgame Athena's Fortune trading company for Pirate Legends that you can also level 1-100 in. There are also two PVP specific factions for the opt-in PVP (Hourglass) mode. Reaching max level in each unlock a specific curse that changes your appearance (Ether a Ghost or Skeleton).

No. There's a seasonal battle pass with a free tier and a paid tier that unlocks cosmetics. The battle pass is $10 for the paid tier, it gets you that much back in Ancient Coins (the shop currency) and it unlocks a ship set that will later sell in the shop for about $40.

It's whatever you want it to be.

King Dazzar

Its looking like a great port. Good to see so far these are all being done really well. Not my thing, but happy to see it coming over nonetheless.

Kerotan

MS getting everything right for the playstation players.

With PSSR on PS5 Pro this could be 4k 120fps or close to it.

Top Bottom