• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seagate Partnering With PlayStation to Release Official External Hard Drives

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

The Game Drive will work on both PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 5. The officially licensed external hard drive comes in 2TB and 4TB capacities. Fans of the upcoming Horizon Forbidden West might look at snagging themselves one of the limited edition Seagate Game Drives. These new hard drives will be especially helpful since a PS5 update lets players store games on external drives.

Seagate is promoting the Game Drive's lightweight design that needs no additional power cable. Moreover, the new Game Drive utilizes a high-speed USB 3.2 Gen 1 connection and installs in under two minutes. All this makes it a portable solution for gamers on the go. Seagate has also collaborated with Sony Interactive Entertainment and Guerrilla Games to bring fans the Horizon Forbidden West limited edition Game Drive. The collectable HDD has a graphic on the exterior that shows Horizon Forbidden West's Aloy.

The new Game Drive includes a one-year limited warranty, giving players peace of mind. The 2TB model of the Game Drive retails at $92.49, and the 4TB model retails at $139.99. Fans looking to grab the Horizon Forbidden West Limited Edition Game Drive have the choice between a 2TB model for $99.99 and a 5TB model for $159.99. Seagate has big ambitions for the possibilities of gaming computer hard drives, and the company is planning on releasing 120 TB hard drives in the next decade.

3940925-seagate_gamedrive_ps_fw-se_2tb_hero-left_hi-res.jpg

Bojji

Parking the marketing propaganda “road to ps5” video to the side I still wonder if an external usb c drive could theoretically work for ps5…some of these drives have speeds up to 10gps and considering the slowest internal external drives work fine on it

10Gb/s is 2GB/s. Most games would probably work fine but that's less than half of what developers are allowed to use.

I also doubt that USB can really hold to this speed...

Last edited:

kyliethicc

Parking the marketing propaganda “road to ps5” video to the side I still wonder if an external usb c drive could theoretically work for ps5…some of these drives have speeds up to 10gps and considering the slowest internal external drives work fine on it
No

10Gb/s is 2GB/s. Most games would probably work fine but that's less than half of what developers are allowed to use.

I also doubt that USB can really hold to this speed...
10 Gb/s = 1.25 GB/s

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
Wait, so basically what the article means is that you can download games onto the new external hard drives, but to play it you need to install or transfer the downloaded game from the hard drive into the internal SSD of the ps5? Im sorry if this sounds incredibly stupid, im not much of a tech person.
you cant play PS5 games from external HDD. You can only transfer the files.

tommib

Which SSD with heatsink should I get for the PS5? With Elden Ring and GT7 around the corner, I think it’s time.

skit_data

Just bought a refurbished old 2TB Seagate drive for €50, don’t see why anyone would buy the new ones unless that USB 3.2 makes a huge difference.

Bo_Hazem

Banned

I wonder sometimes if you really have a brain or fat accumulated in your head to replace the void.

10Gbps = 1.25GB/s, and that's only the USB connection. The SSD itself is 512MB/s, or 0.5GB/s. So the maximum speed IS only 0.5GB/s. That's perfect for PS4 games, even an HDD would be fine (BC). For PS5 games it'll only be for shifting games out and in PS5 for cold storage. GET ITT?

simon cowell facepalm GIF

Last edited:

T-Cake

So what exactly is the point in this?
If you've got a slow internet connection, you can move PS5 games across to a USB HDD for future use - "cold storage". It will be quicker to copy them back to the internal SSD(s), if you want to play, than downloading them again. If you're on fibre internet, not much point at all.

You can play PS4 games from a USB HDD though so you can store all your BC games there instead of clogging up the precious SSD space.

Last edited:

night13x

So....come buy our overpriced drives with min required 1 year warranty that will prob fail after a year....k got it.

Think I will stick with my 8TB western digital easy store External that I picked up for a cool $100.

K' Dash

So what exactly is the point in this?

Cold storage so you don't have to download the games again or buy a NVME.

Been doing this with my Series X from day one, I keep the games I'm playing in the SSD and move everything else to the 4TB external drive.

The difference here is that I can play any game from past gens from the HDD, don't know if you can do that on the PS5.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
"The new Game Drive includes a one-year limited warranty, giving players peace of mind."

Wow, thanks for giving me the legal minimum warranty requirement by law 😑
In the US I don't think warranties are required. They are done for marketing purposes. Typically they have tons of outs that asshole companies use to deny service.

ethomaz

Banned
Wait, so basically what the article means is that you can download games onto the new external hard drives, but to play it you need to install or transfer the downloaded game from the hard drive into the internal SSD of the ps5? Im sorry if this sounds incredibly stupid, im not much of a tech person.
The external media is for backup only... they don't have enough speed to play PS5 games.

LavosBit

Neo Member
The last time I messed around with an external hard drive with a console was with the Wii U, and when it arbitrarily decided to roll over and die, it took all of my save data with it. It’s why I never completed Xenoblade Chronicles X.

Anyway, I guess these could be useful for people with data caps who can’t re-download things willy-nilly, but I’d rather put the money towards a more functional NVME drive.

Kilau

Consumer Seagate drives are pure garbage.
I know statistically speaking they aren't much worse but the only drives I've ever had to fail on me have been Seagates. Will never purchase anything by them again which really sucks for the Xbox situation.

lukilladog

Seagate? No thanks
I have pile of dead drives already with their logo on

Exactly, their stuff is like designed to fail. I had a 2tb and a 3tb, both lasted like 4 years but suddenly they decided to fail within 12 months of each other. My maxtor, hitachi and toshiba lasted triple that, I think only the maxtor actually started to develop issues. Seagate has no ethics.

Thirty7ven

Banned
Exactly, their stuff is like designed to fail. I had a 2tb and a 3tb, both lasted like 4 years but suddenly they decided to fail within 12 months of each other. My maxtor, hitachi and toshiba lasted triple that, I think only the maxtor actually started to develop issues. Seagate has no ethics.

I have an external sea gate 2 TB and I also thought it was dead/dying but it was the cable that needed changing.

wvnative

This is such manipulative marketing for more casual/less tech savvy gamers. I know people that will see this and think it's an expansion for PS5 storage.

SkylineRKR

You can play legacy PS4 games from external T7 just fine. Load times are identical to internal storage. I've got all my PS4 games on that and play from there.

Which SSD with heatsink should I get for the PS5? With Elden Ring and GT7 around the corner, I think it’s time.

I bought a WD Black SN850 with heatsink, 1tb. It works excellent and performs like internal.

Last edited:
What a rip. I bought a seagate 2tb currently hooked up to ps5 for ps4 games and it was less than $60.

At least you get Alloy’s handsome mug on it I guess.

SkylineRKR

Thanks, just bought it!

b7KzDer.png

Should be around 180 bucks. I wanted to wait for 150, but its with heatsink included. Its still steep for 1tb but hey, it beats juggling games or outright deleting shit.

What I like is that its actual 1tb, not some 800gb bullshit. So in total, your PS5 will have approx 1.7tb now. Which is the exact same storage my 2tb Pro had and that lasted me throughout the gen. Size of software is generally smaller now.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I wonder sometimes if you really have a brain or fat accumulated in your head to replace the void.

10Gbps = 1.25GB/s, and that's only the USB connection. The SSD itself is 512MB/s, or 0.5GB/s. So the maximum speed IS only 0.5GB/s. That's perfect for PS4 games, even an HDD would be fine (BC). For PS5 games it'll only be for shifting games out and in PS5 for cold storage. GET ITT?

simon cowell facepalm GIF
It's 2022 and some people haven't found why their internet is 8x slower than advertised

Top Bottom