• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seems to pay off to wait to buy new products these days

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
It seems like plenty of early adopters of games and tech are now taking it in the rear these days. It's a shame but it is beneficial to wait a couple of months or longer when new products come out. Let's look at a few things recently as an example

AAA titles are releasing with bugs and glitches. They often get fixed with patches but months down the road.

Nee iphone reporting battery issues

Mets quest 3 users reporting issues with the official battery strap. First party accessories like said strap are grossly overpriced.

My switch lite I purchased 2 years ago has horrible stick drift. Still hasn't been fixed but an example of a modern day screw job.

Also my Quest 2 controllers also has stick drift

Quality control just seems like a thing of the past.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
Games are not as simple as they used to be.
991d58d31c76c30d4480c3f730dcd5f77d89e891.gif

Kurotri

Stopped preordering a while ago. I beat the shit out of my FOMO. Everyone's playing Spiderman 2 but I'm here still trying to beat Lies of P. Also I'm never getting consoles at launch ever again.

Last edited:
I think that here in Europe getting either a PS5 or an XSX day 1 was the best gaming buy one could make since the prices have only gone up lmao.

So nah, I've been enjoying my €500 console for the past 3 years while others have been waiting for sales or newer revisions.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

What if taking it in the rear is a good thing to me?

I'm in heaven getting effed in the a all day with these derivative modern releases and PC ports!

To be clear I don't like getting effed in the a and this was a joke.

Mithos

I think that here in Europe getting either a PS5 or an XSX day 1 was the best gaming buy one could make since the prices have only gone up lmao.

So nah, I've been enjoying my €500 console for the past 3 years while others have been waiting for sales or newer revisions.
If I could have gotten a PS5 for €500 (from my country) I'd own one, but WHEN it actually was available for €500 you had to bot or live on the stores to snatch one, NOW it's €630 but available so... waiting game still going on...

Last edited:

Kuranghi

1000%, I decided to buy my PS5 on a whim the day before and I've had great fun playing all the missed/backburneres PS4 games in glorious 4K and/or 60fupps.

There haven't been hardly any proper PS5 exclusives I've been into but they are starting to come now with Spiderman 2 (Horizon 2 I consider made for PS5 and the full package is compromised heavily on PS4).

If PC gaming wasn't so expensive and generally fucked since 2020 I would probably be annoyed but then I'd have a new PC and be playing games there in lieu so 6 and two 3s really.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
I’ve made the decision after this year ends that 2024 and on is I don’t buy a game at release . 6 months later is the real release date.

I’ll try to get through most of 2024 hitting up MP only games, visiting games I didn’t finish, etc.

I’ll of course make exceptions for say Elden ring DLC, or a game that everyone praises without issues here for the first week.

This year burned me bad with lords of the fallen and MK1.

Bernardougf

Gold Member
It seems like plenty of early adopters of games and tech are now taking it in the rear these days. It's a shame but it is beneficial to wait a couple of months or longer when new products come out. Let's look at a few things recently as an example

AAA titles are releasing with bugs and glitches. They often get fixed with patches but months down the road.

Mets quest 3 users reporting issues with the official battery strap. First party accessories like said strap are grossly overpriced.

My switch lite I purchased 2 years ago has horrible stick drift. Still hasn't been fixed but an example of a modern day screw job.

Yes .... ps6 Ill wait at least 1 to 2 years to buy .... and then start through the back catalog ... games became better (better optimized, with new content) and cheaper with time so.. this seems like the new optimal strategy for those who can wait

Last edited:

brian0057

Banned
It's objectively the best choice when buying games (or anything, really).
Even if I had fuck you money, I'd still wait before I pull the trigger.

As for games, I agree that it pays off to be /r/patientgamers since in the end you get a more polished product than at release and usually cheaper as well. Well, except Nintendo first party titles as those hardly go on sale 😛.

I'd actually like to one-up the OP and say it's pretty pathetic if you're a grown man and you don't have enough self control to hold your next purchase in until you're not getting fucked by the industry with poor quality and performance for double the price.

manfestival

Agreed with the OP. Seems like the rise of GaaS has really increased the lower quality product on release number substantially sadly.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

What will make you feel better is that 99% of those issues were caught by Testers… but still shipped.

pachura

Also: dead pixels, mura, blooming, misaligned lens, vignetting, battery charging problems...

I'm going to wait a bit, hoping they'll improve their QA

Last edited:

drotahorror

Stopped preordering a while ago. I beat the shit out of my FOMO. Everyone's playing Spiderman 2 but I'm here still trying to beat Lies of P. Also I'm never getting consoles at launch ever again.
Uhh LoP just came out a couple months ago?

Did you really wait that long to get the complete bug free, discounted version?

It really depends. I usually wait, but some games are best experienced early. I have no regrets playing Elden Ring, ToTK, etc. on release day. Most of the time it's a better deal and experience to hold off though.

SHA

Emulators and older games, delaying building a pc rig is unreasonable "you get more choices with mouse and keyboards, it's not bad, seriously, works for everyone ", or wait for Nvidia's answer to recently released underperformed games, probably something like rtx 4030 ti super that solves most recent problems.

Last edited:

tr1p1ex

stick drift not a day one thing. also in Nintendo's case free to repair if you send it in at least with NOA.

games? Definitely the case with so many developers. I really only trust Nintendo these days to have a polished game day 1.

Last edited:

BootsLoader

Banned

I’m most cases, products in EU don’t have so many issues as in US. I don’t understand why. Are they selling different products in EU? Are US people beta testers or something?

Top Bottom