• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new trend seems to wait for weeks before buying a new release.

MLSabre

Pretty much my MO:

Wait until weeks, months, even years before I buy them. I got backlogs of games already, I'm in no rush to buy the latest and greatest. That and I'm in no mood for buggy releases.

Kataploom

Gold Member
I mostly play older games so this thing of getting games day 1 is actually new to me, and only for select Nintendo titles. The day the first Nintendo title comes out broken or not in perfect and optimal conditions, that day even those I'll wait and see.

To this day I'm still thinking on playing some old PS360 games I never played, since that's the gen I started getting more or less up to date with newer games.

Paulistano

I like to play finished games so if I see that a game will have tons of DLC over a period of time I don't mind waiting.

StereoVsn

It's more common and becoming standard for new games to release broken only to wait for patches weeks to months later to fix them. It just seems to pay off to wait awhile before purchasing new games because quality control is not priority for these money grubbing companies.
Yep, wait a few weeks/months and get a cheaper game with better overall experience. Just got to watch the spoilers.

Griffon

If there's a demo that runs great, then yes I wont hesitate to preorder.

RE4 did it and it was great from day one.

Exede

I have a digital only PS5 i surly wait a few weeks until the first sale happens until i buy a game. 80€s is simply to much, not willing to pay this for a game

StueyDuck

This is a new standard for me. But it's nothing to do with some sort of corporate rebellion.

My countries economy is in the shitter and we've got some bullshit corrupt tax or something on our games that make what is essentially a $60 title become a $80-90 title and that's after your regular conversion rates that we have that added $20 or so on top.

E-Cat

I only play games one generation late, it’s really cheap plus have perfect 20/20 post-mortem hindsight.

I bought too many full price games in my life. There's even been a couple where i took forever to play them that they had already decreased price in shops.

Imo, only sparingly buy new releases. Maybe the heavy hitters like a gta6 etc. Special occasion games perhaps. 99% of games go cheaper after a few months ... unless they are Nintendo first party!

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I mean why buy a game that is only worth $30 for $70? Never spend more for a acquisition then you have to. It's the 3rd rule of Acquisition. Quark from Star Trek taught me himself.

Most games will go on sale eventually unless it's Nintendo 1st Party as stated above.

Hell if you wait long enough you can buy these big name games from anywhere between $5-$30 during the big sales Steam has every year.

Interfectum

It's been like this for years. When you purchase on day one, not only do you pay the highest price, but you also receive the least refined version of the game.

VN1X

Banned
Pretty much my MO:

Wait until weeks, months, even years before I buy them. I got backlogs of games already, I'm in no rush to buy the latest and greatest. That and I'm in no mood for buggy releases.
Yup. Step outside of the mainstream hype cycle and enjoy all of the cheap, fully complete, fully featured, bug-free games instead.

Only with very select releases I'll jump on board on day one (such as Tears of the Kingdom) but otherwise, especially on PC, I have no issue waiting months or longer until the game is actually done and becomes available for a much lower price.

Last edited:

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
[/URL]

Don't f****** preorder. Problems fixed. Some dumb people will never learn.
There is ZERO reason to preorder.
Look at reviews the day before.....if good, then buy digital and download.
Buying physical?.... day of release just walk into a Target/ Wal Mart/ Best Buy and just buy it. I go to their online site at 7:00am day of release and order for pickup. Always available as the store hasn't opened yet. I pick up after work.

No reason to pre-order.

New trend?

Robin Williams What Year Is It GIF

New? Lol. This first really hit me with Dragon Age inquisition. The patch notes for that game are long. Companion banter was broken on release for instance- which if you ever played a Bioware game is a major deal.

As always "thanks for beta testing".

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Avoid the nonsense and play a more complete and feature rich game that costs way less money.

Being the first wave to play something is pretty pointless to me. Especially in this day and age where games are technical messes at launch.

reinking

Gold Member
I mostly wait these days. I used to buy games at launch and realized I was leaving too many games still in shrink wrap while they were being discounted. Between prices and bugs I am in no rush to buy every game I want to play at launch.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
Yes, there is the odd game that I will buy day 1 mostly because I love the franchise and/or trust the developers completely (Zelda, GTA, Final Fantasy, top tier PS Studios games) the rest I wait until I have a window or the urge to play them, usually I get them cheaper and fully tested :messenger_beaming:

Rat Rage

It's more common and becoming standard for new games to release broken only to wait for patches weeks to months later to fix them. It just seems to pay off to wait awhile before purchasing new games because quality control is not priority for these money grubbing companies.

So you're telling me, it's actually smart to wait a couple of weeks in order to benefit from patches (and/or price-cuts) than mindlessly buy a game at release like an idiot?

damidu

have to be an idiot with impulse controls of a toddler to buy anything on day one, honestly.
and if you do, you are part of the problem.

these leeches will never get full price from me for their unfinished shit.

Yup. I just started Cyberpunk 2077 last week and am having a great time.

Meanwhile, I've abandoned Hogwarts Legacy until they fix the texture streaming issues and Dead Space Remake is a stuttering piece of shit.

Angelcurio

With a few exeptions, like FROM titles, this is my approach as well. Whether its broken games, missing features, or countless bugs, game developers are not afraid to release half assed titles as long as they manage to hit their launch date, and simply start patching them after.

I am still waiting for A Plague Tale: Requiem to release a 60 fps patch for PS5.

Last edited:

Fredrik

Depends on the game and how hyped I am. I’m not going to wait 6 months to play Starfield but I have no trouble waiting to play Redfall and Star Wars or even FFXVI.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
New?

I play plenty of big games that end up being broken on release day, but understand that at this point that it's my own dumb fucking fault for believing it had a strong chance of being okay.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Jedi Survivor is a great example of this strategy being the best way to go. A buggy fucked up mess on launch, that will be better and cheaper in a few months.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Don't see the problem if you are getting it on PC. Steam and Epic will refund ya easily. Hell think Xbox will do the same as well.

I got my copy of the new Star Wars as a gift on steam, runs well enough for me but prob wait a while to play more of it. If I paid yeah I'd prob get a refund and wait.

Fbh

Said it in another thread but the only reason to buy games day 1 now is to show support to a dev/franchise.

The fact games continue selling so well at launch just shows how extremely strong FOMO is among gamers.

Games have to be one of the few products that like 6 months after launch are substantially cheaper AND better and yet people still mostly buy them on day 1.

I mean why buy a game that is only worth $30 for $70? Never spend more for a acquisition then you have to. It's the 3rd rule of Acquisition. Quark from Star Trek taught me himself.

Most games will go on sale eventually unless it's Nintendo 1st Party as stated above.

Hell if you wait long enough you can buy these big name games from anywhere between $5-$30 during the big sales Steam has every year.
I got Horizon Zero Dawn Complete for free in a playstation store give away!!!!

JayK47

With digital, you may as well wait. It is not going anywhere. In particular for single player games. Unless you have nothing to do, why not wait for patches and a sale? I tend to pre-order physical limited editions if I pre-order at all, which is rarely.

aries_71

New? Its been this way since console patches became a thing.

The industry is worse than ever though these days - zero point in buying on day one. Probably spells doom for the industry actually.
Nahhh… these things are pulling amazing sales numbers. Most players wouldn’t recognize a tech problem if it hit them in the head.

Freeman76

Most game reviewers/youtubers are just flakey cunts you cant trust. Thats why ACG has become one of the best reviewers, he doesnt take backhanders and isnt afraid to call out anyone on a shit product. Ppl actually are better off waiting for the gaming community for impressions nowadays.

For an example, look at Jedi Survivor review thread. Full of spineless reviews raving about a game that runs like dogshit on everything. Hardly a mention of performance issues in any of them. Those reviewers should be fucking ashamed, they arent doing their job properly and are nothing more than bottom feeders not wanting to upset the companies that send them codes.

I'm at a point where the only reviewer I watch is ACG, i dont trust any others anymore. I may not agree with his rating every time, but I know 100% he will point out any technical fuckery with no holds barred.

Laptop1991

The game industry has trained me to do this now, I'm not paying full whack for a broken product that takes a long while to fix, ever since Dishonored 2, that took 3 and a half months before it was playable, i stopped pre ordering and waited until Prey was actually released a couple of months later before buying, now nearly all pc ports are broken, all their doing is loosing sales from me, I simply don't trust them anymore, I'm loosing nothing by waiting.

Nahhh… these things are pulling amazing sales numbers. Most players wouldn’t recognize a tech problem if it hit them in the head.

Considering the completion rate of videogames under 50% for most games I think a lot of people don't really care. It's like women buying clothes at Primark they never even wear.

Lunarorbit

Last year I bought elden ring and Horizon when they first released. Aside from Spiderman 2 and factions I think I'll wait for discounts. I got gamepass now but starfield would have been a game I'd potential buy first thing if it looks good.

Famipan

You hear this from time to time but people never learn.

When hype finally strikes people forget all about that and tries to convince themselves by argues such as:
- ”it’s from a respectable company that usually delivers stable games on release”
- “I will preorder”
- ”buying on release”
- “shut up and take my money”
- ”I don’t want to be spoiled so it’s a must buy on release”

Well, then you have no need to complain about the end product.
Since I know the product I want doesn’t exist until earliest 6 months later I never buy on release.

Learn to avoid FOMO by not playing what everyone else does and getting some perspective to a title by checking if you’re still interested in it 6 months later usually helps. Games usually doesn’t disappear.

Also, some comments may be gerilla marketing

Last edited:

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Yes, but it's not a trend. At least for now. Games are selling really well in the pre-sale and on the first weekend. If someday a big game, let's say Spiderman 2, is launched and doesn't meet the million chart in the first week, this title makes sense

Don't mix "trend" with "people kinda want this"

Top Bottom