• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seems to pay off to wait to buy new products these days

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Wait for reviews, speak with your wallets. Don't you buy no buggy game!
What about if know the game is going to be good? Do I really needed reviews to tell me game Armored Core VI good?

I didn’t buy Spider Man 2 because even without reviews i know exactly what to expect for those type of games.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

991d58d31c76c30d4480c3f730dcd5f77d89e891.gif
I mean yeah, but that's an exception to the general state of things.

StereoVsn

What about if know the game is going to be good? Do I really needed reviews to tell me game Armored Core VI good?

I didn’t buy Spider Man 2 because even without reviews i know exactly what to expect for those type of games.
A very good but extremely buggy game? Reportedly buggiest game Sony has released in years?

Shifty1897

You do you I guess, but reviews always come out before release (if they don't, that's a red flag), so you really don't miss out on anything by waiting for reviews.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
You do you I guess, but reviews always come out before release (if they don't, that's a red flag), so you really don't miss out on anything by waiting for reviews.
I played games long enough to know what I enjoy and what I dont, I mean for upcoming game like Unicorn Overlord I dont need reviews because Vanillaware rarely disappoints me.

Then there are games like Diablo IV or COD that never going to touch because I dont enjoy that type of games.....maybe because of my limited taste but thanks to that I'm happy with most of the games I buy.

ssringo

Steam refunds means I don't need to wait. If a game has obvious problems I don't want to deal with then I get my money back get credit on my account and spend the money on something else. I might take another look at a problem game down the line during a sale if I don't have anything else I'm interested in but that's not a guarantee.

NanaMiku

If it's a Japanese title you're usually good on day one, but if it's a Western release you're fucked.
Reminded me of this recent blunder on Gundam Metaverse. They used the plastic model master files for the Gunpla in the game.

F8vO_JFbcAIAf0h.jpg:large

Bamco spent 130 million USD for this metaverse project

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
I mean shit, this was always true. Remember the Xbox 360? if you got that before the 2010-2011 slim edition you basically got a temporary gaming product as itd eventually fall to the RROD. Same for PS3 and YLOD to a lesser extent.

the original Iphone didn't even have a store, iirc. and it costed 500 dollars!!

Windows XP at launch was nothing compared to the behemoth it'd become in later years.

Street Fighter 2 was nothing compared to champion edition, which was nothing compared to Street Fighter 2 Turbo, which was nothing compared to Super Street Fighter 2, which was nothing compared to SSF2 Turbo, so on so forth.

Early tech is always mid. wait a year or two for the ultimate version of the product! You miss out on the initial hype, but if the game is worthy of said hype it'll blow you away years after the fact

Last edited:

IAmRei

It seems like plenty of early adopters of games and tech are now taking it in the rear these days. It's a shame but it is beneficial to wait a couple of months or longer when new products come out. Let's look at a few things recently as an example

AAA titles are releasing with bugs and glitches. They often get fixed with patches but months down the road.

Nee iphone reporting battery issues

Mets quest 3 users reporting issues with the official battery strap. First party accessories like said strap are grossly overpriced.

My switch lite I purchased 2 years ago has horrible stick drift. Still hasn't been fixed but an example of a modern day screw job.

Also my Quest 2 controllers also has stick drift

Quality control just seems like a thing of the past.
2 years is long and also can led yo many situation. If the product is 1 - 3 months old i can relate, but 2 years is kinda long these days.

Dazraell

I try to avoid playing newest games at launch exactly because of this. They're often having tons of bugs and bad optimisation. So with waiting I get a cheaper, more polished and often definitive version with quality of life improvements original release didn't had

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
It's not like a rule

Most games are with launch problems because their publishers just want the release date. It's a shitty thing, but some companies still do justice. I mean, Spiderman 2 was launched other day with a good development, and basically every Nintendo game ever doesn't problems either

Smartphones since ever, with every company, have battery problems. Not good, but can blame one on this too

Drifting is mostly showing problems this gen. Wasn't a problem back in the day, so maybe the production line is screwing up on something, not the gaming companies per se

BlackTron

No, it doesn't make any sense. I'm struggling to think of anything I bought day one over the last decade (or more) that wasn't Mario or Zelda.

Hudo

Nintendo's game releases are pretty solid at launch. I was astonished how robust Tears of the Kingdom was with all the potential bullshit that could happen with the physics stuff.

Top Bottom