• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega confirms the acquisition of Angry Birds creator Rovio

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member

Ft5VZIQX0AEgXmo

feynoob

Mobile makes more money.
Console is okish, but doesn't print out a lot of money.
With Japan being interested more in mobile games, it makes sense for Sega to invest in this market.
Plus Sega toys will get angry birds as merchandise.

Last edited:

PanzerCute

They throw hundreds of millions for more mobile games, and then they throw 50$ at a random team to make a Panzer Dragoon/SoR/whatever revival. SEGA :messenger_sunglasses:
They throw 0 money on these, they are just licencing the IP, so it is just free cash for them.

I honestly don't understand this purchase, can't they just make an Angry Birds clone with Sonic Characters on a weekend with Unity?
Acquiring a lot of talent for mobile. It's not just about Angry Birds. They didn't aqcquire the IP. It's the studio. Angry Birds isn't even their biggest draw for this.

L*][*N*K

Banned
Acquiring a lot of talent for mobile. It's not just about Angry Birds. They didn't aqcquire the IP. It's the studio. Angry Birds isn't even their biggest draw for this.

I understand that, I just don't see that it was worth over 700 million that they could have invested in Persona 5 spinoffs

nikolino840

Mobile makes more money.
Console is okish, but doesn't print out a lot of money.
With Japan being interested more in mobile games, it makes sense for Sega to invest in this market.
Plus Sega toys will get angry birds as merchandise.
Mobile and nft..there's a lot of project in jp with nft

Zones

I think it's a sad day to the people who say 'talent wins', because just look at the incredible protfolio and talent of Square Enix's western division compared to Rovio, and that division had to sell for about third of Rovio.

I think it's a sad day to the people who say 'talent wins', because just look at the incredible protfolio and talent of Square Enix's western division compared to Rovio, and that division had to sell for about third of Rovio.
Square-Enix games were flopping and were expensive as hell to make. The latest Tomb Raider, Guardians of the Galaxy, etc...
These mobile games aren't nearly as expensive and print a lot more money.

Zones

Square-Enix games were flopping and were expensive as hell to make. The latest Tomb Raider, Guardians of the Galaxy, etc...
These mobile games aren't nearly as expensive and print a lot more money.
That was exactly my point.

Tomb Raider, GOTG, and Deus Ex are downright excellent games with so much passion and talent poured into them, and yet super simplistic 'has-been' mobile games from the likes of Rovio can still demand three times the price of Square Enix's entire western division.

I only meant to say that this reality is rather bleak and quite unfortunate...

Davevil

Rovio has a lot of valuable expertise and experience launching successful mobile brands in the US/EU in particular. They've also been very successful in creating cross media franchises.
Rovio has been irrelevant for about ten years
In the cross media franchise Sega was able to carve out its successful niche with the two Sonic films

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
And Sony got Insomniac for what? 300M?

I don't understand what Rovio has of that kind of value over the next 10 years. Yeah Angry Birds was a hit, it got merchandised and spun off to all hell, but who cares now? Who will care in 5 years? This isn't Minecraft, the fad is already over.

Fat Frog

I advertised for Google Stadia
Well, under that circumstance (30% cheaper than the rumoured $1 billion deal), i change my mind.

I think it's now an OK deal and i guess with the tremendous inflation it's better to invest than saving (loosing...)money.

Last edited:

Spyxos

And Sony got Insomniac for what? 300M?

I don't understand what Rovio has of that kind of value over the next 10 years. Yeah Angry Birds was a hit, it got merchandised and spun off to all hell, but who cares now? Who will care in 5 years? This isn't Minecraft, the fad is already over.
The movies were relatively successful and you sell a lot of toys with them.

Fbh

Sega is like:
"No Skyler... I'm the one who acquires"

Anyway seems like a waste of money for on a one hit wonder studio or declining popularity

GHound

Hope they had some ideas to increase the overall profitability going in or this will be a money pit for a long time.

Last edited:
Top Bottom