• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega confirms the acquisition of Angry Birds creator Rovio

diffusionx

Gold Member
I don't know anything about calculating acquisition value, but I think Rovio has *massively* underutilized and wasted its IP over the past 10 years. There has to be a middle ground between the oversaturation/troll-like fad and what it is now. Now, is Sega the one to figure this out, I dunno, but if they can this will be a steal price.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
They throw hundreds of millions for more mobile games, and then they throw 50$ at a random team to make a Panzer Dragoon/SoR/whatever revival. SEGA :messenger_sunglasses:
Yeah. I mean come on! At least remaster Panzer Dragoon Saga. Do you know how long I have waited for that? I know the source code is lost, but it's a fairly simple game by today's standards. It shouldnt be too difficult..

Depressingly that is true, but do you think that “peak” will return? Farmvile was worth billions at some point do you think it is worth that much now? Of course not.
Yeah I agree that peak was long ago, but still cost wise it is probably cheaper to churn out a bunch of mobile games as opposed to something like a Persona 5 - and the Persona games aren't even big budget games really. It is all very depressing and the only hope is that either mobile gaming "grows up" or dies out.

Moses85

Crazy. They invested 1/4 of their own value in this shit.

Now you know why they fucked up with the Dreamcast.

This company is leaded by idiots.

Montage Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

L*][*N*K

Banned
Yeah I agree that peak was long ago, but still cost wise it is probably cheaper to churn out a bunch of mobile games as opposed to something like a Persona 5 - and the Persona games aren't even big budget games really. It is all very depressing and the only hope is that either mobile gaming "grows up" or dies out.

It is growing up in a way, maybe not the traditional way that we are used to but games like Torchlight Infinite and Genshin Impact are actually decent ActionRPGs if you don’t get caught up in the whole community culture behind it, so maybe in a way it is growing up, no way it dies though

It is growing up in a way, maybe not the traditional way that we are used to but games like Torchlight Infinite and Genshin Impact are actually decent ActionRPGs if you don’t get caught up in the whole community culture behind it, so maybe in a way it is growing up, no way it dies though
That is a fair point, I always forget that a game like Genshin is hugely mobile.

Fat Frog

I advertised for Google Stadia
Depressingly that is true, but do you think that “peak” will return? Farmvile was worth billions at some point do you think it is worth that much now? Of course not.
I guess the 500 Rovio developers won't limit themselves to Angry Bird. They possibly will adapt Sega IPs to mobile market, Angry Birds could gain visibility with an Olympic Game cross over with Sonic on Mobile, PlayStation, Xbox. This IP could also have more efficient movie adaptations with Sega's partners (Paramount) and Sega's own excellent CG Studio (Marza Planet).

Sega has maaaany cross projects right now, i think they'll do good use of Rovio.

Now buy the Fruit Ninja guys next, smh. It's crazy to think they're sitting on a goldmine of IPs and they're spending money on this.
I don’t understand why you people don’t understand how useless those IPs are.

This purchase is a risk. But has high potential. Releasing some random SEGA classic will make them 20 million at most if super successful on consoles.

Focusing on mobile will be more profitable.

PsyEd

Well I guess AB will be a playable mini game in their like a dragon games now...there's always a phone in it.

cireza

I know the source code is lost, but it's a fairly simple game by today's standards. It shouldnt be too difficult..
I would love to see this. However I don't think that it is such a simple game though. Everything happening during battle would require a ton of work. There are a lot of animations and 3D effects. Also the fact that the dragon changes form dynamically depending on the stats. And then you have hours of cutscenes to redo.

Soltype

I don’t understand why you people don’t understand how useless those IPs are.

This purchase is a risk. But has high potential. Releasing some random SEGA classic will make them 20 million at most if super successful on consoles.

Focusing on mobile will be more profitable.
Why not have low risk, middle potential.Streets of Rage 4 was a success, and i'm sure it didn't break the bank.

Fat Frog

Yeah. I mean come on! At least remaster Panzer Dragoon Saga. Do you know how long I have waited for that? I know the source code is lost,
It's not. Type "panzer dragoon saga source code" on youtube and a panzer dragoon post mortem interview indicate it isn't anymore...
Plus, Panzer Dragoon creator said during the lockdown that he was still evaluating sequels with Groundings.
So there is still hope.

Fat Frog

Crazy. They invested 1/4 of their own value in this shit.
Now you know why they fucked up with the Dreamcast.
This company is leaded by idiots.
This is not the same company.
Sammy also did master class such as:

- Creative Assembly acquisition for only $30 million.(+ Amplitude, Two Point Studio, Relic, SI...Sega West is now one of the most solid PC publisher)

- Atlus acquisition for $140 million which is a steal (making of Sega one of the most popular J-RPG maker in Japan)

- The combination of Yakuza Studios, PSO Team, Valkyria Team, western studios+ Atlus allowed Sega to become twice Metacritic Best Publisher. Seeing this achievement and the underrated market value of the Sega Sammy group, several asian investors injected hundreds of million dollars in Sega:

The Rovio move was litteraly funded by these investors.

Don't worry for Sega-Sammy, since the Sonic Movie, they are shitting gold : Movie studios, Netflix, Paramount, Amazon, Lions Gate are all signing deals with Sega for Sonic Spin offs (Knuckles, Sonic Prime...), Segaverse adaptations (Streets of Rage, Space Channel 5, Comix Zone)

Last edited:

consoul

Despite the constant mention of Angry Birds, this has nothing to do with Angry Birds.

This is about mobile.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
You could look at it as a tactical acquisition to prevent a potential MS takeover. Because after all the noise surrounding the ABK purchase, I highly doubt regulators would look kindly upon MS taking another big mobile IP along with another famous console publisher.

MMaRsu

Banned
Lol they had a hit of a mobile game 15 years ago. They havent made anything of significance since then.

Sega messed up
So?

They still have a bunch of studios, they made a profit these past years, and have talented devs working for them.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

• 🤝 The acquisition marks Sega's move to establish a foothold in the mobile gaming market, which is lucrative but highly competitive.
  • 💼 Discussions between the two companies began in June 2022, almost a year ago, initially focusing on potential business opportunities but later evolved into acquisition talks.
  • 📈 Rovio's acquisition represents a premium of approximately 63% compared to the undisturbed share price.
  • 🌍 Sega's objective is to expand its business in the global market, learn new strengths from Rovio's high level of development and management capabilities, and achieve significant growth.
  • 📱 Rovio may be more directly involved in bringing Sega IP to mobile, rather than playing a supporting role.

Xenon

Maybe they can tap them to make a, new game for Sega

Angry Fans

You can lob crappy ports and remakes to try and take out the fans.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

During an investor Q&A answered by Sega Sammy president and vice-president Haruki Satomi and Koichi Fukazawa, the company revealed that it hopes Rovio's success with casual gamers will help Sega improve in that same department.

"...Rovio's titles have been very well received by casual gamers. They own not only Angry Birds, but also a game studio that develops hyper-casual games and thus possesses strengths that our Group does not. Once the acquisition is successfully complete, we expect to be able to obtain such expertise and capabilities."

Jinzo Prime

During an investor Q&A answered by Sega Sammy president and vice-president Haruki Satomi and Koichi Fukazawa, the company revealed that it hopes Rovio's success with casual gamers will help Sega improve in that same department.

"...Rovio's titles have been very well received by casual gamers. They own not only Angry Birds, but also a game studio that develops hyper-casual games and thus possesses strengths that our Group does not. Once the acquisition is successfully complete, we expect to be able to obtain such expertise and capabilities."
So they got Rovio for $776 million? Better deal than I thought. Rovio essentially becomes Sega Mobile, which means they don't have to spend time and money developing their own.

I think I understand why mobile game companies are worth so much, being a known brand inside the pockets of billions potential customers is something, but like was said in here earlier it's a sad state when some one hit wonder mobile company is considered worth more than Insomniac or the Ex Square people, while "developing" practically nothing but Angry Birds since a decade now and their website is solely based around that one game.
eg Zeptolab is very similar, but seemingly independant, just having done Cut the Rope for over a decade now and just that makes them probably similarly worth a ton.
Both games are actually quite fun for a short period, as Tetris or the Rubik's Cube was too, whose creators also not inventing many follow ups afterwards, but milking these with huge investments upfront instead of making a ton of possible new games with that money is sad.

Schmick

I think I understand why mobile game companies are worth so much, being a known brand inside the pockets of billions potential customers is something, but like was said in here earlier it's a sad state when some one hit wonder mobile company is considered worth more than Insomniac or the Ex Square people, while "developing" practically nothing but Angry Birds since a decade now and their website is solely based around that one game.
eg Zeptolab is very similar, but seemingly independant, just having done Cut the Rope for over a decade now and just that makes them probably similarly worth a ton.
Both games are actually quite fun for a short period, as Tetris or the Rubik's Cube was too, whose creators also not inventing many follow ups afterwards, but milking these with huge investments upfront instead of making a ton of possible new games with that money is sad.
Sorry but why does it matter when both can co exist without either interrupting the way either operate. Sure there has been some overlap with micro transactions but a developer like Insomniac will still produce the games they are known for. And I bet they are content with being where they are relative to the big mobile developers.

And you know why mobile developers are worth as much as they are, they own IP's that are worth far more because of MTX. Not to mention that these mobile game developers provide thousands of people jobs.

Lunarorbit

Oh man I forgot about this. To be nice I'll call it an interesting purchase.

This is a worthless IP right now. Maybe they can revive it some how....

Sorry but why does it matter when both can co exist without either interrupting the way either operate.
It just feels unfair, which is of course irrelevant, but mobile stuff feels also massively unproductive.
these mobile game developers provide thousands of people jobs
Sure do, but what do they actually do? Milking whales, after a bunch of people in their garages/ mom's basement did some hours of programming with an idea one of them had. And then they squeeze it for years and need a multitude of people for that. Wth? What a waste would it have been if eg Nintendo basically stopped after eg Donkey Kong. Developers play it increasingly safe, but still every now and then put some new banger out. Is there even one of those mobile empires that did a second succesful game? Or is it all about hitting gold/oil once and then built your entire existence around that one hit? Mobile has some interesting games, Cut the Rope being imho one of the very few I ever played where I have to applaud the idea, while most others are just okayish time wasters at best (Angry Birds among those, sort of following Mohrhuhnjagd). Succesful only because too many people with disposable income throwing money at their way because it is just convenient, but a super stagnant platform. Visually they caught up, games look very decent for some years, but everything is infested by leeches and I always leave disappointed when trying to find anything on the Play store.
I'd rather have those millions and billions invested in new start ups than this circle jerk of CFOs building huge corporations but not really serving any meaningful purpose other than milking it and not bringing gaming forward which they could as the practically biggest plattform. Luckily F2P, far less aggressive, is the only thing spilling over to traditional platforms so far.

Last edited:
Top Bottom