• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Dreamcast - Appreciation and Emulation Thread

kunonabi

word from home is all my games have arrived.

this is going to be one awesome july with Treasure Strike, Power Stone, Giant Gram 2000, Mobile Suit Gundam EFF vs. Zeon & DX, and hopefully PSO2.

I'm even more motivated to get my backlog done before going home.

what's the word on crazy taxi2? i have the first and love it but never felt like getting the sequel.

Replaying F355 Challenge again, still incredibly hard now, even compared to Forza 4 and GT5. This was THE game that taught me how to race properly, no room for errors.

Gotta beat my lap record on Monza and have inputted the codes to unlock Motegi, Sepang, Fiorano etc.

IrishNinja

^looks legit-ish? i thought you needed the box to convert the signal or something, i mean it does VGA native but there's a board in mine for some reason anyway

canocha

Finally managed to get a copy of PSO v2 for a decent price!

£8.50 + postage.

Will post pictures as soon as it arrives!

MKUltra

Does anyone know the best way to repair/resurface Dreamcast games? I bought Shenmue 1/2 on eBay a few years ago and when I finished Shenmue I tried to play Shenmue 2 but disc 1 gives me a disc read error.

IrishNinja

huh, guess i lucked out with my shenmue 2...wait if you didn't get audio on disc 4, how'd you hear the song in guilin cave?

canocha

Tech Romancer arrived!

lU5Vh9G.jpg

No CD scratches and includes both manuals!

I need to turn my DC on this week!

Teknoman

Is Tech Romancer pretty fun to play 1 player? I know its a fighting game and all that, but I dont think anyone I know would jump in on that.

EDIT: That VGA+audio looks like a pretty cool alternative.

We just did an episode of the, "Back in my Play" podcast on Shenmue and the Dreamcast that you guys will appreciate:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=67355646&postcount=159

Would love to hear your stories about the game.

I was just looking for that thread!

IrishNinja

The thing is, my copy was perfect when I first got it. Then it wore out as time went on. So no, you didn't luck out. Just you wait. :p

It's half the reason I need Shenmue I+II HD. DC hw is fickle and Shenmue II discs even more fickle.

well, my first copy had sound. i'm using a new copy bought during my dreamcast revival.

oh god i was gonna replay later this year too, now im kinda scared to find out
wait is this a common thing or did your disc rot or something?

Dave Long

Banned
Geez, I might have the largest collection of DC games on here it seems & I sold/traded in half the games way back.
Possibly... Mine's a little bigger than the one in your post.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=54126777&postcount=242

Did this arrive yet? Any impressions?
I own Napple Tale. It takes a little while to get going, but the platforming is great. It also has a phenomenal soundtrack and looks fantastic. Highly recommended.

kunonabi

oh god i was gonna replay later this year too, now im kinda scared to find out
wait is this a common thing or did your disc rot or something?

i don't think it's rot just a bad copy really.

Geez, I might have the largest collection of DC games on here it seems & I sold/traded in half the games way back.

i've sold everything but two games and i've rebuilt my collection up to 103 titles. main thing holding my collection back is i don't buy any shmups since i just can't afford to collect them.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Did this arrive yet? Any impressions?

Looking to boost my J-DC collection, and I'd love to hear what you think.
It came a little while ago, but I haven't gotten around to putting more than half an hour into it so far. I plan on sticking around for the long haul though. And unlike my previous attempts at text-heavy J-games, I'm going to see if I can just brute force my way through this one without a guide.

Not much "game" to it in the little introductory bit I've played, but it at least makes me feel like a pretty little princess so far.

kunonabi

Figured I'd post my recent DC pick ups since I'm putting them up for the July pick up thread.

I was worried the SC5 head phones were in bad condition since they were really yellow in pictures but they turned out just fine.

kunonabi

Add me to the club:

Hadn't planned on buying but I got a good deal on it so I went for it. It's in really good condition too.

Should be my last Dreamcast purchase till I manage to scrounge up the funds for Segagaga. I am tempted to pick up Fighting Vipers 2 and Crazy Taxi 2 at some point though.

anyone get crashes with Nulldc sometimes? i've been trying to play shenmue 1. It will run fine and then 30 mins later just CTD. No error or anything. It's a pain in this game cause it can be a long time between saves.

I'm using v1.0.4 and tried redownloading it a few times but it just keeps crashing at random times. Is there any other good emulators out there?

anyone get crashes with Nulldc sometimes? i've been trying to play shenmue 1. It will run fine and then 30 mins later just CTD. No error or anything. It's a pain in this game cause it can be a long time between saves.

I'm using v1.0.4 and tried redownloading it a few times but it just keeps crashing at random times. Is there any other good emulators out there?

This is why I still have my DC, emulators aren't good enough and bios issues are a pain in the neck.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
I've always thought it was a little weird how a console with a cult status like the Dreamcast has such a shitty emulation scene.

You'd think there'd be a bunch of folks who want to get it nailed by now.

Fox Mulder

The thing is, my copy was perfect when I first got it. Then it wore out as time went on. So no, you didn't luck out. Just you wait. :p

It's half the reason I need Shenmue I+II HD. DC hw is fickle and Shenmue II discs even more fickle.

I imported Shenmue 2 back in the day, but the shitty case broke during shipping and the discs were scratched all to hell. Never did get to play it.

It led to my hatred of bubble envelopes.

canocha

Finally PSO v2 arrived and Tomb Raider Chronicles too.

BEve8vs.jpg

Tomb Raider its the first copy sold in Portugal (not that it makes any difference in a not so good game).

Now i need to get Skies of Arcadia and Grandia 2.

sky

This thread's making me so nostalgic. I have 2 dreamcasts and a box of games that's been sitting untouched for years... shameful. I remember when the system was dying, stores were selling off games for really cheap, and I bought a whole bunch. Fond memories... I can almost hear the excessively loud disc loading now...

Edit: found these so far... not a bad start I think :)
I think sf3 might have been one of the first games I'd ever imported. Dat hype...

h0xfWtj.jpg

Teknoman

Found JGR, House of the Dead 2, and PSO v1.0 at a thrift store today for like 1.50 each. They were kinda scratched though, so hopefully they work, or will work after taking them to be buffed or whatever.

kunonabi

Well my DC apparently already had a PSO game registered to it so playing that is out since don't have the key. Now I have to buy the ass expensive web browser in order to do the shenmue save conversion. Looks like it will be awhile before I can make any real use of the internet connection.

Dave Long

Banned
Back in the day i played both back to back!

So good!
Same here, though to be honest, I also never finished them because I was in the midst of having my three children at that time! I adored Grandia for the combat and Skies for the characters, setting and story. Both are so strong!

Today I would recommend the Gamecube re-release for Skies, but I still think the best way to play Grandia II is on the original Dreamcast.

kunonabi

My web browser showed up but it's useless since it won't connect to anything but the homepage that no longer exists. Ended up converting my save data with some vmu program instead. Played some Treasure Strike and a ton of Power Stone on Saturday. Games still hold up although I don't look forward to having to play through Treasure Strike 3 times to unlock everything for multiplayer.

mattp

can anyone help me out?
i've got a pal copy of shenmue(i live in the us and have a us dreamcast), and apparently almost every pal release supports 60hz vga mode, including shenmue, and yet when i boot the dreamcast after the sega logo and loading screen it get a message saying to connect a 50hz display and that the game only works in 50hz :(

edit: i'm using a vga box

edit 2: lol so if i hit A it dismisses the error and the game works fine. uh, problem solved?

Top Bottom