• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Dreamcast - Appreciation and Emulation Thread

IrishNinja

upqnotq.jpg

$20 on craigslist...so glad i held out & keep an eye on sega listings! finally get to play this one right after all these years, can't wait. still gotta find the extra japanese disc & another pair one day, but feels good man

Ruze789

I loved my Dreamcast, it's the only system I regret selling. I think I got $50 for the system, 2 controllers, and a pile of games- the guy at the counter asked if I really wanted to 'sell my soul for $50.' At the time I didn't see myself going backwards in generations, but now... yeah. I think I'll have to rebuy it all.

Trivia: The pirate/backup version of Skies of Arcadia is actually quite an impressive feat. It uses a special custom utility to decompress data on the fly from disk so everything from the original GDROMs can fit on much smaller CDs. There's some hiccups in loading but it's pretty amazing.

(I own the original US NTSC release, BTW. Essential for VGA.)

canocha

I loved my Dreamcast, it's the only system I regret selling. I think I got $50 for the system, 2 controllers, and a pile of games- the guy at the counter asked if I really wanted to 'sell my soul for $50.' At the time I didn't see myself going backwards in generations, but now... yeah. I think I'll have to rebuy it all.

Join the club!

I did the same, but now i have everything i sold!

I still can't believe i sold Skies of Arcadia, Shenmue and Shenmue 2 for 15€ each ... i die a little when i think about it!

I sold my Genesis/32X, Saturn, Dreamcast, and Xbox collections to be able to buy engagement and wedding rings.

So what I have I've built back from nothing since 2010.

Beckx

My Dreamcast has a new home - plus I got copies of Street Fighter II X for Matching Service and Soul Calibur.

VGA output makes everything look so good. Soul Calibur still amazes me in many ways, so hard to believe it's so old. Wish I'd tried VGA back when I originally owned these.

My Dreamcast has a new home - plus I got copies of Street Fighter II X for Matching Service and Soul Calibur.

VGA output makes everything look so good. Soul Calibur still amazes me in many ways, so hard to believe it's so old. Wish I'd tried VGA back when I originally owned these.

Soul Calibur 1 was the first console game I ever played in progressive scan. Jaw-dropping was not the word. A stunner.

'Grats on Super SFII X. People still say it's the best home port of Super Turbo.

Ruze789

Join the club!

I did the same, but now i have everything i sold!

I still can't believe i sold Skies of Arcadia, Shenmue and Shenmue 2 for 15€ each ... i die a little when i think about it!

I sold my Genesis/32X, Saturn, Dreamcast, and Xbox collections to be able to buy engagement and wedding rings.

So what I have I've built back from nothing since 2010.

Well then I think I'll have to rebuild my DC collection too! I'll start looking at my local flea market, there's usually a few people selling older systems and games.

upqnotq.jpg

$20 on craigslist...so glad i held out & keep an eye on sega listings! finally get to play this one right after all these years, can't wait. still gotta find the extra japanese disc & another pair one day, but feels good man
As glad as I am for you, I can't help but notice...

demondog_0ourz.jpg

Wait what? The light gun is region locked???

Yes, Sega of America was afraid about bad press after the Columbine massacre, so they opted to not release the official gun in US, leaving MadCatz to produce a worst one.

And they remove the compatible of the official one from the software, I guess that was part of the deal with the 3rd party manufacters. So it is not the gun that is region-locked but rather the software that does not allow its use. I guess if you use a PAL ou NTSC-J disc in your US machine it will work, but I never tried it.

Chojin

Wait what? The light gun is region locked???

I think there are a few graphical glitches (shadows i think)

herm.. thats the same issue I was getting on the PC version aside from the videos looking like horrible crap if they played at all (was horrible for some spells). In the PC version shadows would be a cone covering up the playable characters. Well that was on my old PC from 2005. Wonder if I installed it now, probably would have worse compatability issues.

I'll give it a go when I get home on NullDC.

canocha

I took the liberty to try it :)

bqGATNI.jpg

bhPaPDU.jpg

The shadows are almost fixed (a few white lines, but not covering the characters)... couldn't get to a video with a spell.. NullDC crashed (alt+tabed too much)!

Using nullDC-r150.

Chojin

I took the liberty to try it :)

The shadows are almost fixed (a few white lines, but not covering the characters)... couldn't get to a video with a spell.. NullDC crashed (alt+tabed too much)!

Using nullDC-r150.

Looks promising. The crash was from Alt+Tab and not a video spell?

Seik

Banned
Yeah, i was in the first forest! (no spells yet)

edit: Grandia 2 has one of the best combat systems ever!! It's just fantastic!

True that, my friend.

Grandia 2 is fantastic. This and Skies of Arcadia both are legendary RPGs for the DC.

kunonabi

How much did street fighter run you? I haven't been able to find a reasonably priced copy in ages.

God I loved this system!

I bought it at launch back in 99.

I wish Sega had stayed in the hardware biz and Microsoft had never entered it. Iy would've been A LOT better for the quality of the industry.

Sega made better games when they had their own hardware. They have dimished so greatly they aren't even a shadow of their former selves. Shame!

Saw a picture yesterday looking up sega games. There was a Daytona 2001 arcade cabinet. Was this ever officially released, or likely a home made project? If I can track down the picture again, I will post it.

Foxix Von

Does anyone have any impressions of the Madcatz Dreampad? I've already got a set of 4 controllers but I was just playing some Pod Racer and I always forget that the stick on the official controller severely hurts my left thumb. I'm looking for any good alternative to make playing some of these games... actually bearable haha.

Aaron

Does anyone have any impressions of the Madcatz Dreampad? I've already got a set of 4 controllers but I was just playing some Pod Racer and I always forget that the stick on the official controller severely hurts my left thumb. I'm looking for any good alternative to make playing some of these games... actually bearable haha.
Get an adapter and use a dual shock instead.

Foxix Von

First i've heard of the official pad being painful...did Hori make any DC pads?

I think it's because the top kind of wiggles on the pads. I think I end up applying a bunch of extra pressure to try and keep it from wiggling, the angle just fits my hand strangely and it doesn't help that the analogue is very tall. It's a bad combo and after a few minutes of play my thumb starts to ache. I tend to prefer small controllers despite having moderately sized hands.

For whatever reason this doesn't happen to me on xbox controllers.

canocha

I had one.. its a piece of crap!

The rubber on the stick gets sticky and eventually falls off, the d-pad is awfull too.

Foxix Von

It was this piece of crap:

madcatz.jpg

(not my picture)

Even those blue handles were sticky as hell!

Ah, thanks, that's what I thought. I did a little reading on them and the gray ones seemed to be universally panned as being shit on a cord. I guess they made some changes to the later when they started making colored variants and people seemed to like those models. At the very least they removed the rubber grip from the d-pad, I think. God that thing is ugly though. Does the joystick rotate at all?

canocha

The stick had one thing better compared to the original DC pads, it did not collapse (i don't know if this was a common thing to happen).

But the rest...

RpgN

Recently I managed to complete Headhunter and Ecco the Dolphin on the dreamcast. I haven't touched the dreamcast in a while but it felt good again. Suddenly I find out games like Rent a Hero number 1 and Napple Tale exist, thinking that I had most essential dreamcast games. Those are ordered and will hopefully be around within 2 weeks. The gift that is the dreamcast keeps on giving and it feels good.

Top Bottom