• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Dreamcast - Appreciation and Emulation Thread

nillapuddin

Anyone know if Coaster Works runs well?

coaster_works__17482.1416334989.300.300.jpg

it was a huge favorite of mine back in the day, one of the few physical DC games I still have, Id love to give it a go on my PC, but wanted to check for some first hand knowledge just incase, ty

They are catching up on a ton of pre-orders (can only fulfill so many orders a day) and will start accepting new orders after they get caught up.

Thanks! I actually contacted them using their forum and got the same response! Can't wait to get out of the rut of svideo ive been using. I can buy a SCART cable sure but might as well invest in the best VGA Combo box on the aftermarket. The coolest feature Ive been eyeing for awhile is def the VGA over SCART signals. If I understand it correctly that is.

Cogwheels

Neo Member
I've just started playing Shenmue for the first time ever, and I think I understand where all of the love comes from. Even if it sounds like Tommy Wiseau is voicing every character.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Agree with the love for Sonic Adventure. Its been cool for a few years to hate on it, but I still think its a great game and it always was.

leroidys

I'm not to knowledgeable about Japan only DC games- anything I should be looking for while I'm over here? Already picked up all the Capcom fighters for ~$20 each (SO much cheaper than US copies!) Preferably looking for things around that price range.

Honestly, I think both Adventures haven't aged particularly well, but they were significant parts of my childhood that I still have fun with on revisiting, so I still love them in spite of themselves.

Is Reicast the only emulator being currently being worked on? I'm honestly tied of having to juggle between NullDC/Demul/Chankast, and am wondering how Rei stacks against those.

Cogwheels

Neo Member
Are there any fellow UK-based Dreamcast collectors here? I'm a little torn with the direction I want to take with my DC collecting. I'm essentially thinking of selling up all of my PAL games and going NTSC only (bar exclusives like Shenmue 2, Rez etc).

Most of my retro collection is NTSC so that I can get 60hz + full screen. This is less of a worry with DC as most games have a 60hz option. Is there any other benefit to collecting NTSC over PAL other than NTSC using the superior jewel cases?

Maybe this is all just a load of hassle and I should stick to PAL.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Honestly, I think both Adventures haven't aged particularly well, but they were significant parts of my childhood that I still have fun with on revisiting, so I still love them in spite of themselves.
i agree
i played the shit out of this game when i was like 12, the music goes a long way in helping me still enjoy it, but the whole thing is really clunky. cutscenes and boss fights especially!

Spaghetti

The original Sonic Adventure has aged more favorably, IMO. Both SA games have a lot of the same problems but they seemed exacerbated in SA2.

Found a HKT-7300 online for $70. I know that's a pretty good price but what is the durability on these things? Would anyone say that playing on the official arcade stick made Dreamcast gaming more enjoyable in general?

$70 for a 15-year-old arcade stick is a splurge for me no matter the deal, but it'd be worth it if I ignites my desire to bust out the DC with regularity.

Conezays

Found a HKT-7300 online for $70. I know that's a pretty good price but what is the durability on these things? Would anyone say that playing on the official arcade stick made Dreamcast gaming more enjoyable in general?

$70 for a 15-year-old arcade stick is a splurge for me no matter the deal, but it'd be worth it if I ignites my desire to bust out the DC with regularity.

Yeah I feel like I would have to haggle the price down (local seller) if I go for it, lol. I've gotten an absurd amount of Sega stuff recently though so may have to cool it.

Yeah I feel like I would have to haggle the price down (local seller) if I go for it, lol. I've gotten an absurd amount of Sega stuff recently though so may have to cool it.

Item is shipping from Japan, so no haggling hah. I see prices hovering around $80-100, so $70 sounds reasonable to me, plus it includes a VMU. Never handled one though, so not sure if it'll greatly enhance my Dreamcast gaming for the premium

Conezays

Item is shipping from Japan, so no haggling hah. I see prices hovering around $80-100, so $70 sounds reasonable to me, plus it includes a VMU. Never handled one though, so not sure if it'll greatly enhance my Dreamcast gaming for the premium

Fair enough. Haggling was in reference to mine ($120 CDN, about $92 USD). I haven't used one either myself but have heard positive reviews from most websites, videos, etc.

Teknoman

Does the Dreamcast generally put out a darker image via S-video than say...older consoles do via RGB? My TV keeps the same settings universally, no matter the video input, but it just seems like my Dreamcast outputs a darker (contrast/brightness I guess) hued image than everything else?

Conezays

Does the Dreamcast generally put out a darker image via S-video than say...older consoles do via RGB? My TV keeps the same settings universally, no matter the video input, but it just seems like my Dreamcast outputs a darker (contrast/brightness I guess) hued image than everything else?

I'm not sure specific to Dreamcast though I have noticed some minute differences between various cables and setups I have for other systems. My RGB cables just arrived for Dreamcast (yay) and wouldn't say I notice a difference darkness wise compared to the composite cables.

fenners

I think it's time for me to clear out some of the hardware + gear that's just taking up space. Sold a bunch of Dreamcast games last year, now hardware time. Anyone know the value of a boxed PantherDC? :)

Shaneus

I think it's time for me to clear out some of the hardware + gear that's just taking up space. Sold a bunch of Dreamcast games last year, now hardware time. Anyone know the value of a boxed PantherDC? :)
Hm, that makes me wonder if my Madcatz wheel might be worth something. Shame home FFB wasn't a thing back then. Have a few keyboards and an original gun (or the Madcatz gun, one I lent to someone and never got back) kicking around somewhere too.

IrishNinja

Anyone know if Coaster Works runs well?

coaster_works__17482.1416334989.300.300.jpg

it was a huge favorite of mine back in the day, one of the few physical DC games I still have, Id love to give it a go on my PC, but wanted to check for some first hand knowledge just incase, ty

honestly ive been curious about the weirder DC stuff these days, this and 18 wheeler stay on my list haha

Time to expand the Dreamcast library, courtesy of Gamestop:

Kinda wish I had boxes for more of these, though. I expected most of these to be box-less, but still kinda expected more than just... one... and for the cheapest game of the set, at that...

(And considering Gamestop seems to consider the Dreamcast console a SNES product, I guess Illusion of Gaia there is also Dreamcast.)

nice! also wish idve been paying attention when GS dumped their DC stock, whenever that was

ShowDog

I dunno if it's just my tv (crt looks great on 240p) but DC is a mess over svideo. Incredible disappointment coming off VGA on a shitty led that I would rather get away from.

Teknoman

Yeah 240p looks awesome on the TV, but S-video Dreamcast...while not that bad, just seems darker than it should be. Using an official cable too.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Is Metropolis Street Racer still worth playing?

I know it eventually morphed into Project Gotham Racing, but maybe there's still a reason to care about MSR. I know the music is pretty rad.

D.Lo

Gah I have an annoying DC that reads games perfectly, but the switch to know the tray is closed isn't quite right.

So games play if it's just a tiny bit open, but not if closed.

Anyone have an easy fix for this? I've already tried gluing some extra plastic to the close switch, it's hard to make it right.

I might just glue the closed switch down lol.

Is Metropolis Street Racer still worth playing?

I know it eventually morphed into Project Gotham Racing, but maybe there's still a reason to care about MSR. I know the music is pretty rad.
Yeah it's pretty impressive for the DC.

ShowDog

Yeah 240p looks awesome on the TV, but S-video Dreamcast...while not that bad, just seems darker than it should be. Using an official cable too.

I think I have one of those fake retrobit svideo cables because it's just as bad as composite. Edge crawl everywhere! I'm going to check the pins when I get home.

Arcade stick finally came in from Japan. Gave it a run through Third Strike, but it kept slipping around my desk. No worries, I now have my Naomi@home setup up and running.

I need to find a smaller CRT because this Trinitron is jutting out too far into my face. Can't be good for the eyes. Might have to go the VGA route with a small monitor and the works. Anyways, glad to get the HKT-7300 in. Might end up adding some weight onto the base to make it heavier. Any other TATE game recommendations?

SKINNER!

Banned
I love how the insides of a Dreamcast is so "lego-y". Like, each component and module is independently fitted and it's all quite snug inside the plastic. I had a Dreamcast with a screwed AV port that I decided to strip for parts and my friend and I spent like 15 minutes taking part and fitting a new disc reader component onto his DC. So so easy and I was very impressed. It's just a shame there was nothing I can do about the broken AV port...that DC was a region free modded one too

Arcade stick finally came in from Japan. Gave it a run through Third Strike, but it kept slipping around my desk. No worries, I now have my Naomi@home setup up and running.

I need to find a smaller CRT because this Trinitron is jutting out too far into my face. Can't be good for the eyes. Might have to go the VGA route with a small monitor and the works. Anyways, glad to get the HKT-7300 in. Might end up adding some weight onto the base to make it heavier. Any other TATE game recommendations?

UD looks so great over VGA. Definitely recommend going that route.

KC-Slater

Nice setup! Can you add some rubber or something to the bottom to keep your stick from sliding?

The title 'Under Defeat' always makes me smirk when I hear it. It sounds broken, or mistranslated or something.

Gunbird 2 also runs in tate mode.

Top Bottom