• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Dreamcast - Appreciation and Emulation Thread

Smo21

Bought a Dreamcast randomly at a flee market today. They didn't have any games I want so I'm trying the local retro game store this week. So excited.

braves01

Banned
Looking to get a Dreamcast. Anything I should know about model revisions, common problems to watch out for, etc. before picking one up?

psylah

Looking to get a Dreamcast. Anything I should know about model revisions, common problems to watch out for, etc. before picking one up?

If there's any way for you to test it first, on first boot it might ask to set the date and time. Do that, unplug it and press the power button a few times to discharge any leftover power. Plug it back in and start it up, and see if it asks you to set the date and time again. If it does, the battery is dead. They can be a little bit of a pain to replace, so keep that in mind if you find one.

Fox Mulder

Bought a Dreamcast randomly at a flee market today. They didn't have any games I want so I'm trying the local retro game store this week. So excited.

I just pulled mine out again for nfl blitz and another shenmue run. Lots of great stuff on it.

BTails

If you're able to get a Revision 0 that's in good shape, go for it. I waited until I found one before I jumped on the Dreamcast.

Revision 0 has a pretty reliable disc drive, and more importantly has a metal fan and bigger/better heatsinks.

You can tell which revision the model is by looking on the bottom sticker: there's a number in a circle in the bottom right. If you can't find a Rev 0, grab a Rev 1 that says Made in Japan, it's the next best model. DO NOT grab a Rev 2, as they're made with cheaper parts, and cannot read backups.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
If you're able to get a Revision 0 that's in good shape, go for it. I waited until I found one before I jumped on the Dreamcast.

Revision 0 has a pretty reliable disc drive, and more importantly has a metal fan and bigger/better heatsinks.

You can tell which revision the model is by looking on the bottom sticker: there's a number in a circle in the bottom right. If you can't find a Rev 0, grab a Rev 1 that says Made in Japan, it's the next best model. DO NOT grab a Rev 2, as they're made with cheaper parts, and cannot read backups.

Hmmm. How do I check this stuff if i own a japanese dreamcast?

alf717

Don't have to open the console in case you are shopping around for one. Take a look at where the fan is. If it is black you have a model 1 or 2. If it is silver it is a model 0. Model 0 Dreamcast are heavier than the 1 and 2 models as well. Best of luck to you hope you can grab one. Test it out if you can. Most DCs are burned out now because of CD-R discs.

Was the price on the EU version of Shenmue 2 always as high as it is right now, or are we still just on post Shenmue 3 hype pricing?

Ugh.

Getting back into the Dreamcast now after not owning one for 10-15 years is definitely less expensive than it was then, with a few exceptions. Shenmue 1 and 2 being two of them. :(

sarcoa

Was the price on the EU version of Shenmue 2 always as high as it is right now, or are we still just on post Shenmue 3 hype pricing?
I got a complete, nice-looking PAL copy of Shenmue 2 for around $50 via eBay in April of 2015, a month or so before the Shenmue 3 news.

alf717

I got Rush 2049 in today. I love playing this racer. Always kicked myself for getting rid of it but for $20 I couldn't pass it up. Has a rather noticeable scratch on it but luckily I got a perfect rip from it. Other than that it is almost perfect.

Danneee

I'm looking to buy a region free Dreamcast but don't know if I should buy a overclocked unit or not. And will NTSC games play in 60hz on a modded PAL console (I've googled 60hz fix but could find out what that even means)?

I'm going for built in VGA in any case even though I don't have anything to connect that to, my tv only have HDMI inputs (and the usual composite/scart). I guess I could buy an upscale restaurant later on, the cheaper ones doesn't seem to be worth it from what I've read here.
And it have to be a PAL console solely because I don't want to mess with power converters.

Anything I should have in mind or any advice on this?

Tizoc

How has the emulation scene for the Dreamcast been going these past few years? Any good emulators available now for Windows 10? EDIT: I see nullDC is mentioned in the OP but any other notable ones from the past few months or years?

alf717

How has the emulation scene for the Dreamcast been going these past few years? Any good emulators available now for Windows 10? EDIT: I see nullDC is mentioned in the OP but any other notable ones from the past few months or years?

I had some luck with nullDC but I find it is mostly broken. It is neat but not worth sitting down and playing a full game. A real Dreamcast is obviously still the best way to go.

Tain

Yeah, I'd say DC emulation is rough overall. Rougher than Wii emulation, which I wouldn't consider reliable yet.

Tizoc

I had some luck with nullDC but I find it is mostly broken. It is neat but not worth sitting down and playing a full game. A real Dreamcast is obviously still the best way to go.

demul worked fine for me, it has a few hiccups but otherwise I got it to run fine so far.

BTails

Decided to continue on my 20th anniversary playthrough:

pdWFWn4.jpg

By far my favourite Resident Evil, though 1 and 4 are also far up there. This was the game that got me into the series after being a bit too young to fully enjoy the original; I think I didn't understand the concept of item management/conserving ammo.

Didn't get too far tonight, but I have a feeling I'll blow through it pretty quickly this weekend, since I know it so well. Maybe get to the Leon B scenario too.

This is my first time playing it on the Dreamcast, and the 480p models looks amazing. Shame the backgrounds are clearly upscaled from 240p. Is this the case for RE3 as well?

Teknoman

How are Crazy Taxi 2 and Outtrigger?

Edit: I need an RE refresh myself. Also I never beat 3. Speaking of lost betas with Ecco 2, anything else to download and check out in that realm?

IrishNinja

Crazy Taxi 2 doesn't get enough love - it's more madness, with a larger city and new options like picking up groups of people/mimes. music isn't as iconic, but if you've played the shit out of 1 like i have, it's totally worth going after!

Outtriger seems like a cool arena shooter that i totally need to try multiplayer on to really appreciate

NDPsycho

How are Crazy Taxi 2 and Outtrigger?

Edit: I need an RE refresh myself. Also I never beat 3. Speaking of lost betas with Ecco 2, anything else to download and check out in that realm?

Outtrigger isn't bad, but it's not as good as Quake or Unreal Tournament. If you liked those, you'd have some fun with it though. I wouldn't recommend it if you don't have the keyboard and mouse. Speaking of the mouse, I should hook it up again and play some silent scope. I loved playing that with the mouse. Loved Typing of the dead too, the DC had some great games to use with k/m.

televator

It's a port of the DC version, from what I've heard.

Technically, all versions after PS1 are ports. They all have differences though, and GC doesn't clip like all other versions. If RE3 were a straight up port of the DC version it would have a 480p option in game, but it didn't. Hence why it need to be forced.

Sonic adv 1 on steam is a port of the gc ver
Which in turn is a port of the dc ver :v
Correction: Sonic Adventure DX on Steam is a port of the 360 version, which in turn is a port of an earlier PC version, which is a port of the GC version, which is a port/upgrade of the Dreamcast original.

Yes, they ported a port of a PC port back to PC. Don't ask why.

Timu

Too many ports...

I'll just stick with the Dreamcast Sonic Adventure 1, which is funny enough my 1st Dreamcast game.

Tizoc

OK hold up between the Dreamcast and GC which system had the better versions of RE2 and 3?
EDIT: For that matter what about 18 Wheeler? Any major differences or improvements between the DC and GC versions?

Correction: Sonic Adventure DX on Steam is a port of the 360 version, which in turn is a port of an earlier PC version, which is a port of the GC version, which is a port/upgrade of the Dreamcast original.

WE GOTTA GO DEEPER!

Surta

Funny claim, but do you have any proof for it? They could have had a PC development version all along, at least since the first PC release, which they then modified and ported to the 360. That would make the Steam version not a "port" of the 360 version, but a revision of the original PC version.

BTails

OK hold up between the Dreamcast and GC which system had the better versions of RE2 and 3?

Sounds like GC might have the better port of RE3, but only if you use homebrew to force 480p, is that correct? I think I'll probably just stick with the Dreamcast release out of ease.

Top Bottom