• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega suggests it could become the latest publisher to raise game prices to $70

lyan

I can see Total War and Football Manager priced at $70 (most probably forgot they also publish them).

DeVeAn

I mean are we really surprised? Of course no one wants to pay more. I’m more surprised they held out this long.

Nydius

Always love these threads when people whine about $70 games, all while $70 dollar games are setting sales records.

Until Sony raised the price to $70 in 2020, the cost of games hadn't increased from the $60 price point in fourteen years. Before that, they hadn't increased from the $50 price point for ten years. Name any other entertainment industry whose price remained the same for such long stretches without increases. You can't. They have all increased while offering fewer features. Movie prices are higher, music prices (both physical CD and digital MP3/FLAC) are higher, subscription services have increased the total cost of access to media. In the same time span we went from DVD to Blu-Ray to HD Blu-Ray to digital movie purchases, each one increasing in price.

You all bitch and moan but are going to buy the games regardless.

Gamers think they are immune to inflation.

A Big Mac costs double what it did in 2005 but lord forbid the heckin gamerinos go up by 15%.
Not just inflation but also the basic cost of doing business.

The cost of creating games has become astronomically high. There was an article back in 2012 that stated the total development budget, including marketing, for Mass Effect 3 was $40M. CDPR has stated it cost them a total of $316M to make Cyberpunk 2077. The development budget for Hogwarts Legacy was $150M. The cost of making games has tripled, but asking an extra $10 for them (when literally everything else in the world is increasing in price) is somehow a bridge too far...

Last edited:

EDMIX

Good luck with that. No one is going to pay $70 for Yakuza and most of the other shit they put out. Maybe Atlus games like Persona because of the loyal fanbase but that's it.

yea.....so Ima pay $70 for a Yakuza game day 1 lol

Will buy the next Yakuza day 1, next Persona day 1 etc.

People have exaggerated that $10 price jump, ijdgaf lol Sega, Square, Ubisoft etc they will all go to that $70 price tag when they start to roll out next gen only titles, it makes no sense not to and I'm surprised anyone is still making a news thing out of this. Did some of you really fucking think we'd go what, 20 plus years with the exact same price point?

Astral Dog

Their games aren't exactly AAA. I don't think it works to ask higher prices for their portfolio. Sonic Frontiers I think started to take off when discounted.
They discounted Frontiers mere two weeks after release, so im not sure exactly what is their sales strategy, any $70 game SEGA releases will drop like a rock

And i believe Sonic Frontiers would have sold very well without a price drop during the holidays

GHG

1280x720.jpg

When then script isn't scripting.

Embarrassing.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
I'll pay 100 bucks for a remake of Panzer Dragoon Saga..

Mr Moose

Because Sony was complicit in that decision:

"When the PlayStation 5 and next-gen Xbox consoles arrive this November, the next-gen version of "NBA 2K21" will cost $70 — a precedent-shattering shift in the price model that the games industry has used for console games for more than 10 years.

"$69.99 may be the new standard pricing for next gen titles," NPD Group video games analyst Mat Piscatella said of the announcement.

That change was seemingly confirmed by Sony on September 16 when the company announced a $70 price ceiling for PS5 games.

"Our own Worldwide Studios titles will be priced from US$49.99 to US$69.99 on PS5," Sony Interactive Entertainment CEO and president Jim Ryan said on the PlayStation Blog.

Facts over feelings eh?
Thanks, MicroSoft, for charging $70 for Redfall.

Edgelord79

Gold Member
Not sure what the big deal is ultimately. Everything has gone up in price. Either save up or pick and choose the games you will buy on Day 1 better.

You don’t have to pay $70 either. Most of the time there are other choices instead of posting full price.

I was pretty sure the first company to raise the price to $70 was Enix, then Square. I'd gladly pay $70 for ActRaiser and Final Fantasy II again. But no thanks, Sega (or Sony or Nintendo). It can just wait on my wishlist, and I'll probably never actually buy, though I don't blame them for trying.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Because Sony was complicit in that decision:

"When the PlayStation 5 and next-gen Xbox consoles arrive this November, the next-gen version of "NBA 2K21" will cost $70 — a precedent-shattering shift in the price model that the games industry has used for console games for more than 10 years.

"$69.99 may be the new standard pricing for next gen titles," NPD Group video games analyst Mat Piscatella said of the announcement.

That change was seemingly confirmed by Sony on September 16 when the company announced a $70 price ceiling for PS5 games.

"Our own Worldwide Studios titles will be priced from US$49.99 to US$69.99 on PS5," Sony Interactive Entertainment CEO and president Jim Ryan said on the PlayStation Blog.

Facts over feelings eh?
....you do realize this whole debate started because of some acting like Sony started this.....right? Are you even reading what you're quoting?

Lets try this: replace Sony with MS in this debate...and tell me if you'll still try to argue this the same way.

Thanks, MicroSoft, for charging $70 for Redfall.
Exactly, lol.

Last edited:
Top Bottom