• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SEGA wants Sonic to surpass Mario in both games and movies

havoc00

In an interview posted on its website, SEGA executive director and Osamu Ohashi was asked about how Sonic will be developed in the future. That led Ohashi to mention how the goal is for the franchise to surpass Mario.

He pointed out how SEGA respects Mario, but never actually achieved the goal of surpassing him. Not only does the company want Sonic to be played worldwide, but also for the movies to do better and for Sonic to be featured at Universal Studios.

Ohashi said the following (via Google Translate):

“Simply put, I want to surpass Mario. Sonic is a game that was originally developed to compete with Mario, and it still hasn’t achieved that goal. Our goal is to catch up and surpass Mario because we respect Mario. I want people to play it all over the world, including Japan, like Mario, and I want the movie to be a bigger hit than Mario. I would like USJ to create a ‘Sonic Area’ as well. That’s our goal for those of us who love Sonic.”

T-0800

Captain America Lol GIF by mtv

MiguelItUp

It's okay to have a goal, even if it's a lofty one. But if you actually hope to accomplish said goal, you need to act on it and show that you're trying to achieve that goal....

I don't think they've done that yet. Especially when almost every Mario release does VERY well, and Sonic is consistently mediocre or worse. I will say I'm surprised the movies did as well as they did.

Holammer

Sonic is a mess when it comes to setting & tone. There's so much to discuss before one even considers the gameplay mechanics.
I think it would be for the best if they gave Nintendo a chance to work on the IP, or rather... Begged on their knees, pleading with big N to do it.

Again, this but unironically.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Sonic is a mess when it comes to setting & tone. There's so much to discuss before one even considers the gameplay mechanics.
I think it would be for the best if they gave Nintendo a chance to work on the IP, or rather... Begged on their knees, pleading with big N to do it.

Again, this but unironically.

Idea was just work off the fact that if the levels weren't engaging enough for the Sonic character, then he has speed. One of the top Mario-based IPs are Mario Kart. Speed + need to surpass Mario = Super Sonic Kart...1.

Barakov

Gold Member
In an interview posted on its website, SEGA executive director and Osamu Ohashi was asked about how Sonic will be developed in the future. That led Ohashi to mention how the goal is for the franchise to surpass Mario.

He pointed out how SEGA respects Mario, but never actually achieved the goal of surpassing him. Not only does the company want Sonic to be played worldwide, but also for the movies to do better and for Sonic to be featured at Universal Studios.

Ohashi said the following (via Google Translate):

Movies?
Owns Cristiano Ronaldo GIF

Games?
2O9SD4G.jpg

That will never happen.

MMaRsu

Banned
Sonic has been mid for a long time.

Sonic Mania is the exception and that's because it wasn't made by Sega lmao.

Im asking if Sonic 2, S3&K, Sonic Mania are mid.

Because that's what he's saying.

I agree except these three games the rest are mid.

They already won in racing genre with Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing and Transformed sequel. They can't win in the platformer genre because they always prioritise speed ahead of control, which is essential for the genre. If Sega tries they could beat Nintendo in the RPG genre with Sonic IP.

BlackTron

Yeah Sega we know. The whole point of Sonic since 1991 was to defeat Mario it's nothing new. Thanks for the update that you still haven't given up on Sonic's prime directive in 30 years of failure.

Spyxos

Gold Member
Yeah, good luck with that. How many shitty Sonic games do we have? And i am more a Sonic fan then Mario.

Bulletzen72

Hot take. I'm 50 years old and been playing videogames since 1979 and I've never played a good Sonic game. I've played a lot of them

Top Bottom