• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SEGA wants Sonic to surpass Mario in both games and movies

Doom85

Even if the games were better, the Mario IP is too iconic for Sonic to surpass it in sales anytime soon. The Sonic movies, while not perfect, were still much better than the Mario movie which relied way too much on fanservice and not enough on good humor or clever moments (the animation was good, I’ll give it that). Jim Carrey as Robotnik and Idris Elba as Knuckles alone were far better than anything in the Mario movie. But the latter made a ton more money, because hey, brand recognition.

Impotaku

Considering most Sonic games tend to be shit instead of a hit they need to actually take a step back and see why exactly mario games are so highly rated over their games and why they seem to be unable to do the character justice. The problem with sonic is he is built around speed & very little else which makes platforming the worst genre to try and fit him into, while just holding right and jumping every so often as sonic blazes past everything in a blur looks cool it makes for a bland experience. If he slows down to actually do complicated platforming he becomes clunky & slow to control this was the problem in the older games. In 3D it tends to be worse a lot of the games rely on homing attacks & set bits where you aim at a ziprail/boost pad to auto run parts of the level outside of those the amount of janky control you have to suffer with is something you almost never find in a 3D mario. None of the 3D games have even remotely come close to any of the 3D mario games.

Think sega should let nintendo have a crack at actually making a proper platform game with sonic & see how theyt manage it.

Last edited:

Jinzo Prime

It's good to be ambitious. I like Mario and Sonic and I want both to be good, but Sega is going to have to treat Sonic like a Golden Goose, the same way Nintendo does to Mario.

Ozzie666

A little late for that, maybe Sega should have treated Sonic better for the last 30 years. Sonic gameplay unfortunately doesn't translate as well as the methodical Mario platforming. I'm thinking of older gamers who grew up on the NES/SNES. The power of good quality 2D mario, is incredible in this day and age. The new Sonic 2D games, Mania for example are pretty good.

Mario has never been close to death, Sonic has been close.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world

TIL in 1992 Sonic the hedgehog was more recognizable than Mario and , Mickey Mouse.​

SEGA had my generation Mario meant nothing to me growing up. SEGA fucked up so bad

Astral Dog

Sonic was never good
There are Sonic games that are genuinely good,not just fun but good quality.i liked the Advance trilogy,,Rush series,Frontier,Generations ,Mania...

The series has potential its just that its so uneven when it went 3D it got a reputation for being average or trash,Mario is consistently good, Sonic has good ideas but it falls short.

They keep trying though, i give them credit for that in general the series has been recovering since the movie

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Never gonna happen. Ship for that sailed long ago.

Now if you want to entertain surpassing Xenoblade franchise with let’s say, Skies of Arcadia 2… then we can talk.

Well, I'd say they already succeeded at the movie part. Games, though?

Alicia Silverstone Reaction GIF by moodman

Kataploom

Gold Member
This reminds me Kishimoto Masashi (Naruto) wanting to surpass Oda Eiichiro (One Piece)... The man got his manga finished, a sequel started and other manga cancelled and he's still far from breathing the same air than him. Sometimes you just gotta land in reality.

Shut0wen

In over 20 years sonic team still to this day have not made the combat in sonic fun or even on par with mario, adventurws 1 and 2 had good combat for its time but sadly its dog shit, especially when compared with mario64s

Holammer

Was going to post the same, they missed that boat in 90s when didn't make a sonic game for 5 years.
Judging by interviews with Ken Penders (of all people), it seems Sega never had any long term plans for the franchise or even expect it to be one. They licensed that shit to anyone, Archie Comics, Fleetway & Shogakukan did their own takes on the material without any oversight or planning from Sega.

Sega had the professionalism of Lightning Fast VCR Repair and did not care as long as they got paid. Eventually the figured out there was something to the character and there's been one embarrassment after another since.

Xenon

Sonic still has the better movie and It's 2D games completely trash mario games as far as graphic design is concerned. I do understand that mario games offer a lot a different things to do in them. But the way I look at it, it's kinda like a playground with huge assortment of different equipment with sparse shrubbery in a field of wood chips. Compared to a playground with less equipment but expertly crafted landscaping throuthout. It's never really been a contest of where I want to spend my time. I would bring up music but that would be cruel. Just as 3D has been to Sonic =(

Last edited:

Alcibiades

Hard to think this is possible in the near or medium-term future, but Sonic is already a mega franchise. I've noticed a ton of merchandise around Sonic in the last 15 years or so, and of course the games still sell OK. The movies have done alright too.

I get why people would laugh at the comparison, but I respect Sega and the passion this guy seems to have to competing with Mario.

EDIT: And for all the hate it got, I downloaded Sonic Boom on Wii U a few years ago and had a good time with it despite all the flaws. It's a nice game to do co-op.

Last edited:

Hero_Select

TIL in 1992 Sonic the hedgehog was more recognizable than Mario and , Mickey Mouse.​

SEGA had my generation Mario meant nothing to me growing up. SEGA fucked up so bad

Was going to post the same, they missed that boat in 90s when didn't make a sonic game for 5 years.

"In 1992, according to Sega of America marketing director Al Nilsen, Sonic was found to be more recognizable than Mickey Mouse in the six-to eleven-year-old demographic, based on the character's respective Q Scores, although this claim could not be confirmed by Q Score developer Marketing Evaluations, Inc."

lol.

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper
Tell me why they are bad/mid platformers with some good arguments then
The need for speed constantly works against the platforming.

For the 2D ones there's not enough screen space to see what's ahead.
For the 3D ones they have to put Sonic on rails for it to work.
Haven't played the open world one.

And tell me which platformers do it better
It's funny, but infinite runners manage to get it right. It works because it's on rails and you're not responsible for accelerating the character, only strafing and jumping on most games. Simple but effective.

Mario games are better platformers, hands down.
Specially because they're focusing on making one thing work and work really well, and not two things at the same time.

Now I need to know your favorite Persona 5 waifu. Makoto Niijima?
Right on the money.
It just felt kinda wrong to go with the doc. Someone that was the same age as the main character was more suitable I think.

e1abc456e011cee2360216d222fda0fc.jpg

MMaRsu

Banned
The need for speed constantly works against the platforming.
Thats not the case in any of the games I mentioned but ok
Doubt youve played them really

The old Sonic games werent about 'the need for speed'. They were pretty deliberate.

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
It’s good to have goals? 🤷‍♂️

But unless they drastically change the core gameplay of sonic it will never be close to Mario.

MMaRsu

Banned
Aaaaaaand that's why I don't bother replying any more

Peace Out Goodbye GIF by NETFLIX
Just admit you havent played Sonic 2, S&K3, Mania.

Because clearly, your opinion is wrong. Those games arent all about the need for speed. And if you've ever played them you would agree.

A snarky comment with a gif isnt going to make you superior all of a sudden, you just come across a cunt

How is a level like this all about speed? It isnt, there are various sections of deliberate platforming.

And that guy is still playing it faster than I ever did.

Last edited:

Thabass

You better get Christian Whitehead to lead Sonic games immediately if you even want to come close to beating Mario. Stop rushing Sonic games and releasing mediocre (at best!) Sonic games to achieve that feat.

Last edited:

Scotty W

Gold Member
It simply cannot be done. Sonic’s problems are at the level of the DNA.

Sonic is only fun when fast. There is room in Mario’s DNA to do Sonic fast. There is no room in Sonic’s DNA to do Mario slow-and-mid.

MMaRsu

Banned
It simply cannot be done. Sonic’s problems are at the level of the DNA.

Sonic is only fun when fast. There is room in Mario’s DNA to do Sonic fast. There is no room in Sonic’s DNA to do Mario slow-and-mid.

I seriously feel like people just havent played any of the good ones, this is simply untrue.

cireza

Considering most Sonic games tend to be shit instead of a hit they need to actually take a step back and see why exactly mario games are so highly rated over their games and why they seem to be unable to do the character justice. The problem with sonic is he is built around speed & very little else which makes platforming the worst genre to try and fit him into, while just holding right and jumping every so often as sonic blazes past everything in a blur looks cool it makes for a bland experience. If he slows down to actually do complicated platforming he becomes clunky & slow to control this was the problem in the older games. In 3D it tends to be worse a lot of the games rely on homing attacks & set bits where you aim at a ziprail/boost pad to auto run parts of the level outside of those the amount of janky control you have to suffer with is something you almost never find in a 3D mario. None of the 3D games have even remotely come close to any of the 3D mario games.

Think sega should let nintendo have a crack at actually making a proper platform game with sonic & see how theyt manage it.
These typical complaints about platforming and speed don't apply to recent games. Frontiers is certainly not a great game, but it controls extremely well. Speed has been largely reduced, especially in cyberspace stages. Lost World also had excellent controls.

Recent 2D games control fine as well.

They need to get decent level designers again.

Last edited:

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
"In 1992, according to Sega of America marketing director Al Nilsen, Sonic was found to be more recognizable than Mickey Mouse in the six-to eleven-year-old demographic, based on the character's respective Q Scores, although this claim could not be confirmed by Q Score developer Marketing Evaluations, Inc."

lol.

I was a kid back then 99.9% sure this is true. Sonic was "it" for my age group I also have a memory of it being said on the news.

OuterLimits

I felt like I had been transported back in time to my teenage years in the 1990s while reading that. Good to see Sega is still delusional 30 years later.

I seriously feel like people just havent played any of the good ones, this is simply untrue.

sonic can have platforming too I dont think anybody discuss that but its not that notorious in the series, at the time there were plenty of platforming games(as was the norm in the era) and lot of them where way better than the platforming levels in sonic, in my opinion an example is sparkster/rocket knight series, it has way better platforming than sonic's platform levels and they were very fun, sonic was more known because its speed and style of levels way bigger than any other game and really fast and fun was incredible, its style was so unique at the time no game could do something similar let alone as good as sonic, but the problem is it doesnt translate too well for 3d as slow platforming games like mario

Last edited:
Top Bottom