• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Senua's Saga: Hellblade II

GymWolf

Gold Member
Do we know if the video is cg or real time cutscene?

If is the latter, very impressive for a launch title.

Life

Super awkward watching CG lip syncing. She looked like an android. Would have been better just watching her stare into the camera, with blood and tears slowly flowing.

Pantz

Really addictive trailer.
Hope this means that next-gen faces will look good again. Seems like many devs had trouble with faces this gen.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Really addictive trailer.
Hope this means that next-gen faces will look good again. Seems like many devs had trouble with faces this gen.
Hard disagree, last gen was exceptional for faces...

Look at detroit or death stranding or even the first senua game.

Last edited:

Pantz

Hard disagree, last gen was exceptional for faces...

Look at detroit or death stranding or even the first senua game.

Agree, more talking about the ones who struggled with making good ones. Control, Andromeda, Shenmue III, etc.
I don't know what I'm talking about, just hope next-gen magically makes it easier for those who struggle.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Agree, more talking about the ones who struggled with making good ones. Control, Andromeda, Shenmue III, etc.
I don't know what I'm talking about, just hope next-gen magically makes it easier for those who struggle.
Control has some ugly faces but some very good one, look at the janitor.

I think that who can't make good faces is more for lack of talent not power or money.

First senua game has a little budget and some of the best faces ever.

I like how detailed her face is. Her teeth and gums just seem to be on a different level, visually, from what we'd normally see. The landscape shots show a richness that I assume comes from volumetric lighting and other technical things I don't actually know a fucking thing about. The shot of the villagers holding torches show off convincing lighting and more of that "thick air" feeling that games usually can't achieve.

The lighting in that scene is clearly using raytracing too, beyond anything a current gen console could achieve.

Next gen is going to be wild. I'm confident Halo will be a new benchmark in real-time visuals based off of what we've seen from the engine presentations.

By the way, all of the orig Hellblades cutscenes were real time (except on Switch lol), so i dont see any reason why that would be different on the XSX.

Yeah. And this trailer is real time in-engine.

Scope looks to be far larger than the original as well.

I'm going to assume for nownow that it's also 4K 60fps like all other XGS titles, as well.

-Troid-

Banned
The first game was good, but had some flaws. A sequel that can improve on the first will definitely be on my list.

Stuart360

Yeah. And this trailer is real time in-engine.

Scope looks to be far larger than the original as well.

I'm going to assume for nownow that it's also 4K 60fps like all other XGS titles, as well.
Hopefully but with graphics like that, i wouldnt be surprised if its 30fps. It is a launch game afterall.
If it is 4k/60, then DAMN!.

Last edited:

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
Kinda looked like an actor that is trying way too hard to act INTENSE. Vidya games look good now though, damn.

Last edited:
It looks amazing like all Ninja Theory games usually look. The Problem is that the first game was a walking simulator that wasn't fun to play.

Ar¢tos

I hate in-engine trailers. For all we know it could be running on a dual rtx 2080 sli (although it doesn't look like it) .
Give us in-game footage on actual final hardware or devkit!

Stuart360

Is this a walking sim or is that a platform-dependent variable?
larryhagman_1898023b.jpg

Fbh

First one was great so I'm looking forward to this. Hopefully they expand on the gameplay a bit, the combat was OK but the "puzzles" grew tiresome after a while.

Vawn

Banned
These days Need more imagination to choose a name.

PS5?... XSEX?????

Nintendo Switch at least is more original xD

PlayStation has the perfect naming scheme. There is never confusion about what it is.

Xbox could obviously not use that as always being PlayStation minus one is not good for marketing.

cucuchu

This alone has me sold on the next Xbox. Fucking pumped and that trailer was metal as hell. Interesting direction to take things after the original Hellblade, given the ending...

With a larger budget, Ninja Theory should be able to pull off something even more insane with Hellblade 2. I think its interesting that they chose the word Saga for the title. In my mind that implies that this game will be larger in scope than the original.

Well played team Xbox. Now I gotta start saving for two consoles next year.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Banned
PlayStation has the perfect naming scheme. There is never confusion about what it is.

Xbox could obviously not use that as always being PlayStation minus one is not good for marketing.

Would people "REALLY" care about that though?

But about this trailer, I'm so excited that we finally get to see what next-gen will offer. But how do you guys know this is a launch game?

Yes, let's pretend Sony won this generation because of simpler naming and not 10 other factors. :messenger_smirking:

VFXVeteran

Banned
Using UE4 engine. All in-game cinematics. Performance capture on the face was incredible. Looks like photogrammetry is in place (ala Battlefront 2 and Modern Warfare). They always had an incredible fire shader. Not sure why no one yet has copied it.

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
Using UE4 engine. All in-game cinematics. Performance capture on the face was incredible. Looks like photogrammetry is in place (ala Battlefront 2 and Modern Warfare). They always had an incredible fire shader. Not sure why no one yet has copied it.
god that fuckin sounds hot
Man, I keep rewatching that trailer and staring at that facial detail. Those teeth and lips...
Could you tell me more about your professional impression? :)

cucuchu

Going back to the specific content of the trailer, is that the rot from the first game on her face? Could this be Senua with the rot entirely consuming her?

VFXVeteran

Banned
god that fuckin sounds hot
Man, I keep rewatching that trailer and staring at that facial detail. Those teeth and lips...
Could you tell me more about your professional impression? :)

That was it from just looking at the vid. I'd need to see gameplay though.

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
Going back to the specific content of the trailer, is that the rot from the first game on her face? Could this be Senua with the rot entirely consuming her?
I don't think so, just make-up. You can also see that her chest and upper arms are clear, 1:40.
But oh my god I'm getting EMOTIONAL just seeing that SHEER DETAIL on her face holy FUCK

cucuchu

I don't think so, just make-up. You can also see that her chest and upper arms are clear, 1:40.
But oh my god I'm getting EMOTIONAL just seeing that SHEER DETAIL on her face holy FUCK

Its insane the level of detail!

But yeah good catch with her chest and upper arms. I was just thinking the black under her mouth looks almost like she had a nice hefty vomit of the rot.

VFXVeteran

Banned
I wonder how they are doing that volume smoke in the volcanos in the background. Guys, those look like true 3D volume ray-marched smoke. I can notice it a mile away as I worked on several ray-marching volume smoke before. The self shadowing and lighting indicates no animated texture. I'm guessing the only thing I've seen that's this close to ray-marched smoke is Batman AK. Ironically, that used Nvidia's FX software tookit which used true volume ray-marching for the smoke on the batmobile. Again an UE4 game.

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
I wonder how they are doing that volume smoke in the volcanos in the background. Guys, those look like true 3D volume ray-marched smoke. I can notice it a mile away as I worked on several ray-marching volume smoke before. The self shadowing and lighting indicates no animated texture. I'm guessing the only thing I've seen that's this close to ray-marched smoke is Batman AK. Ironically, that used Nvidia's FX software tookit which used true volume ray-marching for the smoke on the batmobile. Again an UE4 game.
Wasn't Arkham Knight UE3?
It's a drop-dead fine-lookin' game, they musta decked that kit out, huh

(Also, I tested those Nvidia effects on & off--literally not a single dropped frame. Zero performance loss. Unreal. How. It's such an upgrade.)

Top Bottom