• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Senua's Saga: Hellblade II

Dory16

Banned
I thought it was pretty obvious. It wasn't doing anything particularly impressive, but it was cleverly put together. Shot for shot its all standard stuff just done with a far higher polygon and texture budget than we're used to. It also uses a bunch of staging tricks that are particularly good at hiding flaws and imperfections.

Don't get me wrong, its artistically extremely good and well made. Its just not that impressive as a tech showcase, certainly compared to the sort of high-end stuff that engine vendors use to promote their wares (Unity, UE, Luminous etc.) I suspect it was put together pretty quickly liberally borrowing assets and animation rigs from the first game.
Phil wasn’t revealing any specs, so the purpose of this was to tell the specs with a trailer. It was a masterful marketing move, well tailored to the audience and it also adressed the most damaging perception about Xbox this generation, which is that they don’t own the studios capable of creating the big scale, cinematic story telling with high end graphics that their competitor has.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
To put things into perspective, this was an in engine demo for the Ps4 back in 2013

However I think that demo was more exaggerated then hellblade 2s.

I thought they did show it running on dev kit, pausing the action and moving the camera, etc...

HB2 is a step above that, not an incredibly massive one mind you, once you look at the scale of things and the quality of particle effects and lighting.

cormack12

Gold Member
This is a good buy for Microsoft. I've done the first 'boss' in Hellblade I but went back to Witcher 3. Will definitely going back to Hellblade after mopup though. Bit disappointed it's gone XSX exclusive (presumably), but at least Microsoft is showing its chops early. The atmosphere, the setting everything was just my kind of jam. If they tighten up the combat camera, this could be a really solid franchise going forward.

MilkyJoe

This one, I assume.

Pretty sure it's newer than 2 years. Though it's just a video and not a game so it clearly has less barriers than this game does to look good. This trailer looks great though "in-engine" has always been a weasel term. Plenty of "in-engine" trailers have looked way better than the final product.

...Though Hellblade is very much a third person, cinematic game, so I'm a little confused why Xbox gamers -who apparently hate those- are suddenly hyped... 🤔

Because it's not all there is... 🤷‍♀️

Esppiral

Yes getting good reviews on ign and metacritic dictates that they're "masters" of the genre because of that's the metric now, lmao.

Yes always trust your own experience/opinions about something.

Tons of 90+ rated games on those boards are trash for me.

Geki-D

Banned
Because it's not all there is... 🤷‍♀️
Of course, just the vast majority is third person walkie talkie. Hey man, I don't see a problem here; I like these "third person cinematic action games". I'm not the one bitching about it when it's on one platform but then special pleading for another. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

Dory16

Banned
Yes getting good reviews on ign and metacritic dictates that they're "masters" of the genre because of that's the metric now, lmao.
Of course not. The metric is your opinion. Look, Ninja Theory’s credentials in the industry are unquestioned. Of all the story based game creators that Microsoft acquired, NT were unanimously considered the most high profile for a reason. It’s also funny how nobody was doubting their skills when they were making Sony exclusives. Now all of a sudden, people jump on GAF to undermine their track record lol. Anyway, keep hating while I wait for Hellblade 2 day one on game pass.

Business

And it's a MUCH better game.

I'll take your word for it as I haven't played either yet (my kickstarter Shenmue III copy is still sealed...), but the presentation of both titles are in different dimensions. Tempted to pick up Hellblade on PS4 now for 15eur but at the same time my backlog is painful enough already.

VFXVeteran

Banned

That video saying it was done on the Xbox hardware is completely false. I hate seeing that. It was done on the PC. They should give credit where it's due. We don't know what the XSX can do. I asked about the PC hardware config and I didn't get a clear answer but they are using the 2080Ti. They don't have the 3080Tis yet.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Has anyone here that never heard of Heillung before totally gotten into them since this trailer released? I'm listening to them now & totally digging it. I suspect Hellblade 2 is going to do wonders for increasing their fan base.

Special thanks to Strife In a Teacup Strife In a Teacup for providing info and links to videos on this band.

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
I'll take your word for it as I haven't played either yet (my kickstarter Shenmue III copy is still sealed...), but the presentation of both titles are in different dimensions. Tempted to pick up Hellblade on PS4 now for 15eur but at the same time my backlog is painful enough already.

It's like an 8 hour game. Doesn't take much time out of your backlog.

Sacred

Just got of the phone with one of my buds at Epic. Their team is stoked about Senua's reveal (using UE4). I told them "stop trying to make it seem like XSX was used for that reveal. It was the PC." he says "we never said what hardware it was..." :messenger_tears_of_joy: So PC hardware gents. But it doesn't matter. It was in-game cinematics anyway.

You are trying really hard to disprove what Phil said, he never said it was using the official console. I don't even think the specs are finalized yet. He said they were using their new engine to take full advantage of the power of the Series X. Which means, yes in fact it could definitely look like that, if they built a PC to the projected specs.

They are obviously going to be reactive and counter anything Sony tries to do to one up them this gen, so I won't be surprised if they have 3 different boxes and see the specs on the PS5 before committing to one.

Last edited:

VFXVeteran

Banned
You are trying really hard to disprove what Phil said, he never said it was using the official console. I don't even think the specs are finalized yet. He said they were using their new engine to take full advantage of the power of the Series X.

How am I disproving Phil? I don't understand. I'm just saying that the trailer has a sentence at the beginning saying "done on the xbox hardware". And I know that it was done on the PC. I'm not saying it won't look like that on the XSX when it comes out, but of course, at 100% of the director's dream and vision is going to be the PC version. I'm not trying to take away from the XSX but we can't confirm exactly WHAT the XSX can do because we haven't seen anything stating "done on the XSX hardware". It would have been very clear for us if the sentence said, "done on a PC with hardware specs that match the XSX"

I just want to keep facts inline and not get overhyped. This happened last generation with all those demos being done on the PC but the consoles could never hit those targets and "downgrade" threads were all over the place.

Last edited:

nikolino840

How am I disproving Phil? I don't understand. I'm just saying that the trailer has a sentence at the beginning saying "done on the xbox hardware". And I know that it was done on the PC. I'm not saying it won't look like that on the XSX when it comes out, but of course, at 100% of the director's dream and vision is going to be the PC version. I'm not trying to take away from the XSX but we can't confirm exactly WHAT the XSX can do because we haven't seen anything stating "done on the XSX hardware". It would have been very clear for us if the sentence said, "done on a PC with hardware specs that match the XSX"

I just want to keep facts inline and not get overhyped. This happened last generation with all those demos being done on the PC but the consoles could never hit those targets and "downgrade" threads were all over the place.
How your friend at Epic knows ?

rofif

Banned
This isnt CGi. Already confirmed as in engine - in real time.
we've heard this a thousand times. Sure it is in-engine but it's not running real time at all. This is ground truth cgi material... Until I see someone play this at 30fps 4k with gamepad

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
we've heard this a thousand times. Sure it is in-engine but it's not running real time at all. This is ground truth cgi material... Until I see someone play this at 30fps 4k with gamepad

Jesus, dude! You might wanna fact check before you come with your arm chair developer knowledge. I already stated it was CONFIRMED in Engine- in real time. You're wrong. Take the "L" and let it be.

rofif

Banned
Jesus, dude! You might wanna fact check before you come with your arm chair developer knowledge. I already stated it was CONFIRMED in Engine- in real time. You're wrong. Take the "L" and let it be.
They can confirm whatever. Just look at it - it is not real time playable graphics. It might be their target or something but games will not look like that... especially not on launch. I mean - IT IS possible. Just look at Death Stranding. But I would hype check any statement about cgi looking trailer running in real time - We've seen that way too many times. Even the best developers lied to us
edit: I don't want to be rude but I am 30 and been playing for over 20 years... killzone, witcher3, dark souls2, watch dogs, deep down (real time but then said it was running like 5fps)... there are so many examples of this

Last edited:

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
They can confirm whatever. Just look at it - it is not real time playable graphics. It might be their target or something but games will not look like that... especially not on launch. I mean - IT IS possible. Just look at Death Stranding. But I would hype check any statement about cgi looking trailer running in real time - We've seen that way too many times. Even the best developers lied to us
edit: I don't want to be rude but I am 30 and been playing for over 20 years... killzone, witcher3, dark souls2, watch dogs, deep down (real time but then said it was running like 5fps)... there are so many examples of this
We are talking about NT though. NT gets pretty damn close or above what they represent in their games after the trailers. Hellblade is a prime example. This isnt ND, Ubisoft or Sony Santa Monica. Theres every reason in the world to believe the actual game will closely resemble what we've seen in the trailer.

You can bookmark this comment for future discussions: Most people dont truly understand that this isnt the Xbox/Microsoft of old. In fact, we have no real idea what this kind of fully backed Xbox even looks like but, we're beginning to get a pretty good idea. All the acquisitions that took place over the last couple of years will begin to make sense. And the reality of just how awesome having all these studios with virtually unlimited financial backing, creative freedom and resources means and all being exclusive to the platform will hit different early on, come next gen. I said this in another thread but, NO WAY Sony dominates next gen the way they did this gen.

Sony will do very well, We all know this. But Microsoft is going to be a force of nature next generation. Very interesting times ahead. My wallet is ready!

rofif

Banned
We are talking about NT though. NT gets pretty damn close or above what they represent in their games after the trailers. Hellblade is a prime example. This isnt ND, Ubisoft or Sony Santa Monica. Theres every reason in the world to believe the actual game will closely resemble what we've seen in the trailer.

You can bookmark this comment for future discussions: Most people dont truly understand that this isnt the Xbox/Microsoft of old. In fact, we have no real idea what this kind of fully backed Xbox even looks like but, we're beginning to get a pretty good idea. All the acquisitions that took place over the last couple of years will begin to make sense. And the reality of just how awesome having all these studios with virtually unlimited financial backing, creative freedom and resources means and all being exclusive to the platform will hit different early on, come next gen. I said this in another thread but, NO WAY Sony dominates next gen the way they did this gen.

Sony will do very well, We all know this. But Microsoft is going to be a force of nature next generation. Very interesting times ahead. My wallet is ready!
NT never failed. true that... so maybe there is a hope next gen will be mind blowing.
The only other studio that did not lied is Kojima Productions - I was 100% sure the trailers were rendered... nope - the final game is all in real time and looks just like the trailers too

Labolas

Of course not. The metric is your opinion. Look, Ninja Theory’s credentials in the industry are unquestioned. Of all the story based game creators that Microsoft acquired, NT were unanimously considered the most high profile for a reason. It’s also funny how nobody was doubting their skills when they were making Sony exclusives. Now all of a sudden, people jump on GAF to undermine their track record lol. Anyway, keep hating while I wait for Hellblade 2 day one on game pass.

Again how does that make them "masters" of the genre? Lol people have been doubting their skills since DmC. Gameplay has never been their forte, it's everything else that people praise. Their gameplay have always been mediocre since Heavenly Sword.

I wonder why the FTC doesn't crack down on companies presenting these CG trailers as 'in-engine' but it doesn't reflect the actual quality of gameplay? It seems like lying to consumers.

Has anyone here that never heard of Heillung before totally gotten into them since this trailer released? I'm listening to them now & totally digging it. I suspect Hellblade 2 is going to do wonders for increasing their fan base.

Special thanks to Strife In a Teacup Strife In a Teacup for providing info and links to videos on this band.

Don't forget they're on a US tour right now, if you're lucky enough to have them near you (I'm not, but I just saw The Hu live so there's that. And Amon Amarth was just here with Arch Enemy which I saw, so I got my Viking Metal fix for now).

Last edited:

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Don't forget they're on a US tour right now, if you're lucky enough to have them near you (I'm not, but I just saw The Hu live so there's that. And Amon Amarth was just here with Arch Enemy which I saw, so I got my Viking Metal fix for now).

I saw yesterday that they will be at the Novo by Microsoft in Jan. It's very close to the MS Theater where this game got it's "World Premier" It's a super cool smaller & more intimate venue than the Microsoft Theater, it's more like an upscale club really ---- with $20+ drinks, I saw KMFDM there several years ago and loved the venue.

I thought about going but as I'm reaching the age of ancient I'm just not really into going to concerts or clubs anymore. I got burned out on it after way too many years of partying like a rock star. Besides all my club & concert gping friends have either moved out of the 3rd world shithole LA has become or also got burnt out on the club/concert scene.

On a side note, when did Viking metal become a thing?

Dory16

Banned
Again how does that make them "masters" of the genre? Lol people have been doubting their skills since DmC. Gameplay has never been their forte, it's everything else that people praise. Their gameplay have always been mediocre since Heavenly Sword.
And again, IGN and metacritic agree to disagree. Thank you for your opinion. It saved many lives today.

On a side note, when did Viking metal become a thing?

Been a thing for a while now. I got it into it "late" I guess? with Amon Amarth. But there's a decent chunk of Viking metal bands now. Though Amon Amarth themselves state they aren't, lol.

I'm just loving all this "folk metal" as I'd call it, or folk music in general. Heilung, The Hu, Amon Amarth (in its own way), Eluveitie (Celtic metal), etc. It's having it's own kind of resurgence or maybe just a new recognition and it's awesome. At least in my mind, I'm enjoying it all quite a bit. Eluvetie just played recently somewhat close to me but I didn't find out in time, and I really wanted to see them. Most of these sorts of bands are from Europe and don't come to the US very often.

Edit: Also I should mention Bran Barr (Sidh album) and Heol Telwen (An Deiz Ruz album). Awesome Celtic metal. I'd be remiss if I didn't mention them. Both have(had) similar band members from my understanding. Awesome albums though.

Last edited:
I don't know. Can someone point out how these are graphics? Just looks like a person.

UnpleasantUnkemptKagu-size_restricted.gif
WanAstonishingCuttlefish-size_restricted.gif

Last edited:

sdrawkcab

Banned

I tried listening to them, and their music is utter trash, to me. Definitely not my cup of tea.

However, I will say though, sampling some of their music for use in other music might prove to be quite...musical.

Ravix

Probably one of the most cringy trailers I've ever seen. Given how no one cheered in the audience I imagine I'm not alone in feeling this way. I hope the actual game is nothing like it.

Phase

I stopped playing the first game because I thought the combat sucked, but maybe I'll give the game a second chance. I recently gave GOW a second chance and am actually liking it.

Top Bottom