• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

September 2010 NPD "Results" [Up3: Dead Rising 2, Metroid, Kingdom Hearts Numbers]

Snuggler said:
We're talking about Dead Rising 2 here, which you just proved that you haven't played. You clearly have not seen the light, so really I just feel sorry for you.
I've seen AI improvements, yes, but I still don't want to grind for 20 hours killing zombies to get to an appropriate level before starting the missions. The story mode is still awful.
chubigans said:
I will destroy you
Are you trying to take my quote out of context? Period fail.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
TheOddOne said:
NPD group:
yJIcr.gif
:lol

B-Rad Lascelle said:
So if NPD numbers get leaked elsewhere on the 'Net but GAF talks about them or calls attention to them, GAF gets sued and not the leakers?

Makes sense to me.
They have altered the deal. Pray they don't alter it further.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
B-Rad Lascelle said:
So if NPD numbers get leaked elsewhere on the 'Net but GAF talks about them or calls attention to them, GAF gets sued and not the leakers?

Makes sense to me.

If we're talking about copyrighted material, technically under the DMCA I guess GAF could absolve itself of responsibility until a leak was brought to the admin's attention. But like I say, this mightn't stop NPD stirring up sh-t that the administration simply may not want to deal with. It could be messy. I ain't a lawyer though, but I would guess this is why the admin wants to steer clear.

NullPointer said:
Incidentally, this also speaks volumes about why games journalism will forever remain crooked and corrupt.

And I'm not saying this as a GAF thing. But I imagine the threat of lawyers keeps IGN, GameStop and everyone from daring to do anything more than regurgitate press releases.

Unlike every other form of media on the planet.

1-D_FTW

NullPointer said:

To what? It's worthless as is. Mine as well put a bullet in its corpse and call it official.

EDIT: Unless you're talking about leaks. But we know those will be as abundant as scans are. NPD is dead on neogaf.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Dammit, I feel that Halo Reach didn't have the impact it could have. Considering the 360 userbase duplicated in the last 3 years, Halo Reach could have sold more in this period of time. Maybe the saturation of the userbase with Halo games and products combined with the growing populatiry of other FPS and the lack of "next gen" appeal were factors that contributed for the slight decrease in sales potential. Halo Reach coud still end up outselling Halo 3, but this is certainly not what I expected.

What did MW2 sold on the 360 during its first 3 weeks?

Boney

Banned
godhandiscen said:
Dammit, I feel that Halo Reach didn't have the impact it could have. Considering the 360 userbase duplicated in the last 3 years, Halo Reach could have sold more in this period of time. Maybe the saturation of the userbase with Halo games and products combined with the growing populatiry of other FPS and the lack of "next gen" appeal were factors that contributed for the slight decrease in sales potential. Halo Reach coud still end up outselling Halo 3, but this is certainly not what I expected.

A million copies more in it's opening month. Just 360.

Haunted

Firewire said:
Doesn't 3.3 million sound a bit low for N.A.?
It just surpassed the US LTD of every single PS3 game.

edit: actually, I think MW2 PS3 could be ahead, I think it's at 3.5 million or somesuch.

Firewire said:
Damn that's impressive. Sorry if I came off like I was trolling or something, for some reason I always thought Halo titles sold like 5 million in the first month. But if it's up there with the rest of them then wow, she hit it out of the park.
No SKU does 5 million in one month in one territory.

UraMallas

gofreak said:
I would guess a little thing called lawyers. NPD knows all about neogaf now, there's no such thing as flying under the radar. And even if NPD didn't have a strong case, they could mire the administration in legal hassle anyway.
Even IF true it still makes me want to bail on these threads.

2n88lue.jpg

godhandiscen said:

September vs. November. Could you imagine what a God of War III or Super Mario Galaxy 2 would've sold in November instead of March and May? Same with Halo 3 and Halo Reach. Holiday boost counts for something that's why Activision takes advantage of it.

godhandiscen

Jonsoncao said:
Yah

MW2 360 sold 4.2m in its opening month

Well, its official, Halo is not top dog anymore. Hopefully Halo 4 recovers the spot for the franchise.

Darth Tigris said:
September vs. November. Could you imagine what a God of War III or Super Mario Galaxy 2 would've sold in November instead of March and May? Same with Halo 3 and Halo Reach. Holiday boost counts for something that's why Activision takes advantage of it.
Interesting... this certainly affects my conclusion.

godhandiscen said:
So MW2 sold over 4M during its first month in the 360 by itself?

November 2009 NPD:

# Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (Xbox 360) / Infinity Ward, Activision / 4.20 million
# Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (PS3) / Infinity Ward, Activision / 1.87 million

godhandiscen said:
Well, its official, Halo is not top dog anymore. Hopefully Halo 4 recovers the spot for the franchise.

Halo Reach is Halo 4. The franchise may as well not even exist now that Bungie is off of it.

B-Rad Lascelle said:

Makes sense to me.

That is total nonsense. All people would have to do is put out aproximate numbers and not exact ones, those scumbags at NPD wouldnt have a leg to stand on. Sites like GAF should be doing everything in their power now to get these numbers out and wipe NPD off the Earth.

GAF NPD threads without the real NPDs is like a Snickers without the nuts. You still get a Mars bar (which is nice enough) but it just isn't as substantial.

Jonsoncao

Banned
godhandiscen said:
MW2 brought many casual gamers into the shooter genre, I thought this fact alone would make Reach's first month better than Halo 3

oh well...:(

yankeehater said:
Sites like GAF should be doing everything in their power now to get these numbers out and wipe NPD off the Earth.

So, um, if NPD were wiped off the Earth, then we'd get the NPD numbers from where exactly?

godhandiscen

Sho_Nuff82 said:

November 2009 NPD:

Halo Reach is Halo 4. The franchise may as well not even exist now that Bungie is off of it.
No, Halo Reach is a full fledged game, but it is not Halo 4. Halo 4 will certainly have a different perception in the minds of people. I know a lot of people who think Reach is just a new campaign like ODST.

Psychotext said:
Wouldn't that leave us with no numbers? :lol

Edit - Damn you Robotnik!
yankeehater assumes that with no NPD everything in the world would be sunshine and lollipops. Nielsen would take over and provide sales data just like they do for everything else and wouldn't charge 120K a year per subscription for it.

Personally, I think his rage is misguided. He should direct it towards something more deserving like Kotick or bank CEOs that embezzle money or the Red Sox.

Mama Robotnik said:
So, um, if NPD were wiped off the Earth, then we'd get the NPD numbers from where exactly?

I just assume some other group would step in. I dont know, I just hate that they are hurting the industry and getting away with it.

godhandiscen said:
No, Halo Reach is a full fledged game, but it is not Halo 4. Halo 4 will certainly have a different perception in the minds of people. I know a lot of people who think Reach is just a new campaign like ODST.

O.D.S.T. and Reach while fun games made me realize I prefer playing Halo single player as the Master Chief.

Top Bottom