• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

September 2010 NPD "Results" [Up3: Dead Rising 2, Metroid, Kingdom Hearts Numbers]

yankeehater said:
Wow at 360 almost doubling up the Wii. I would think if the PS3 also beat the Wii Sony would be shouting that from a roof top. Does anyone knoww how accurate the Chartzz numbers usually are?

Pretty damn accurate when they have the NPD figures to copy, so...

:)

Pooya

Road said:
For those wondering, NPD said the PS3 (and PSP) are up on the weekly average.

Last month, 4 weeks, 226k total for PS3 means 56.5k weekly average.

This month, 5 weeks at 56.5k means 282.5k.

Welcome to the new era of NPD of hazy mathematics and speculation.
yeah, that's what I was thinking, but again Sony should release something, waiting for PR.

Sean said:
That's a pretty steep YoY decline for the Wii. It sold 462,800 units last September and 254,000 this year.

I think it's safe to assume Sony did worse if they're refusing to release any numbers.

Based on the month over month increase comment directly from NPD, at minimum the PS3 outsold the Wii by 30k.

Weak of Sony to not provide numbers.

miladesn said:
Wii is so low, PS3 > Wii this month?

Well can't be all that great if they are not disclosing the numbers. It's down from last year but up from last month. I don't see Move doing huge numbers in the US either consider the accessories sale are down also.

Anyway, new NPD suck and boring and now we just left to speculate and people making up stuff.

gerg

markatisu said:
PS3 beats Wii and Sony says nothing? That does not seem likely

But if the PS3 is to have increased its sales week-on-week from August 2010, it would had to have sold at least ~283,000 units (as NPD reports), which is still more than these Wii figures.

ghst said:
where sony fans and creationists meet.

I'm not a creationist. I don't know where you get this idea from, but just because I don't believe that religious belief is the be-all and end-all evil in the world doesn't mean that I believe that God created the earth. Heck, I don't even believe in God, as anyone who has ever discussed the matter with me can attest.

So please kindly STFU.

markatisu

yankeehater said:
Wow at 360 almost doubling up the Wii. I would think if the PS3 also beat the Wii Sony would be shouting that from a roof top. Does anyone knoww how accurate the Chartzz numbers usually are?

Pretty accurate once they saw the NPD data and changed their guesses :lol

allan-bh

If PS3 don't surpass this poor Wii number in PS Move release month , I understand Sony not release their numbers. Is just shame.

markatisu

allan-bh said:
If PS3 don't surpass this poor Wii number in PS Move release month , I understand Sony not release their numbers. Is just shame.

even 30-50k would not be something to do summersaults on imho

Metroid charted in between multiplatform titles. Its probably a good sign.

Because Metroid Other M is awesome.

GrotesqueBeauty said:
Let this be a lesson to Sakamoto to never again try to develop Metroid with the ulterior motive of capturing "casual" audiences (which proved both silly and presumptuous on his part), and instead focus on simply producing a great game where quality speaks for itself without trying to pander to people who never have and never will give a fuck.

Ok8US.gif

allan-bh said:
We already know it did... at least assuming NPD's info about it selling more on a weekly basis is correct anyway.

Megadragon15 said:
Now that we have DS and Wii numbers, at least we know Microsoft wasn't excluding handhelds when they said they were the top selling console.

Indeed.

Just noticed this was 360's best month for hardware sales this year so far, and their 4th month this year over 400K - congrats MS.

dead rising 2 combined sold third. that's nice i guess but we have zero context beyond that. eurgh. i'm going to guess that Dead Rising 2 on the 360 would be number two if we seperate out the Madden totals, but hell, maybe all the Madden's beat it and it came seventh.

Elios83

allan-bh said:

Actually NPD said that PS3 sales are >282k and PSP sales >99k so for the first time in the generation Wii is in third place.

Jonsoncao

Banned
Road said:
For those wondering, NPD said the PS3 is up on the weekly average from last month.

Last month, 4 weeks, 226k total for PS3 means 56.5k weekly average.

This month, 5 weeks at 56.5k means 282.5k.

Welcome to the new era of NPD of hazy mathematics and speculation.

Oh, I didn't notice. Thanks.

this

gaffers should keep in mind that MOVE was out during Sept, and there were tons of commercials in either an NFL or NCAA game

GarthVaderUK said:
Indeed.

Just noticed this was 360's best month for hardware sales this year so far, and their 4th month this year over 400K - congrats MS.
and kinect still to come.

year of the 360. who would have guessed?

gerg

GarthVaderUK said:
Indeed.

Their success with the 360 relaunch has been staggering. It's really well done.

At this rate they're probably looking to outsell the Wii by a million units this holiday (at the very least). That's without factoring in the launch of Kinect (and, conversely, the launch of the red Wii bundle, presuming that it does come out in October).

seady

Not liking the combined sale of software from different sku.
Games like Spiderman and Mafia wouldn't even chart if they separate the sku.

-htownplaya- said:
So Kingdom Hearts charts in at number 6 but MGS: Peace Walker can't come chart in the top 20? :lol
we can't compare these charts to those though because they're combining software totals across platform now.

Seda

-htownplaya- said:
So Kingdom Hearts charts in at number 6 but MGS: Peace Walker can't chart in the top 20? :lol

The most recent chart combines multiplatform title sales though, so Kingdom Hearts is probably 8 or 9.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
duckroll said:
Updated DS and Wii numbers to the OP, thanks.

Wii's number are higher than expected. Seriously, other than Other M there's nothing else that really interests me. Nintendo's too busy putting their A+ lineup on the upcoming 3DS.

duckroll

plagiarize said:
we can't compare these charts to those though because they're combining software totals across platform now.

Yeah. It does seem likely that KH did better than MGS though, based on NSMB Wii's position.

Well my prediction of 360 > PS3 > Wii for October came true, and 360 should be ahead of Wii YTD at this point. So that's kind of a big deal going into the holidays. Nintendo is leaning hard on DKC, Kirby, Wii Party, Just Dance, and "Holiday Momentum". Even if Wii sales double for October, and double that in November, they would still be well short of their November 2009 total of 1.26 million.

...and that's all the analysis I can squeeze out of this thread.

So based on what was said and some math Sony actually beat the Wii this month but they say nothing? hmmm

Seems they are taking their broken YoY streak to heart.

Zoe

markatisu said:
PS3 beats Wii and Sony says nothing? That does not seem likely

More like if Sony releases the PS3 numbers, they'll also have to release the PSP numbers.

duckroll

Zoe said:
More like if Sony releases the PS3 numbers, they'll also have to release the PSP numbers.

Why would that be a problem though? It's not like there's any secret that it's doing really poorly these days. They don't even have to spin it really.

duckroll said:
Yeah. It does seem likely that KH did better than MGS though, based on NSMB Wii's position.
but again, without the numbers...

we have no idea how big the gap between 1 and 2 was this month, wii looked to have a bad month over all, so NSMB numbers could be lower than expected. KH could theoretically have lower numbers than MGS did. i mean you look at Dead Rising 2 and FIFA and MADDEN and NHL and wonder which of those skus would have been above KH.

it probably sold better, but who fucking knows :(

seady said:
Not liking the combined sale of software from different sku.
Games like Spiderman and Mafia wouldn't even chart if they separate the sku.
1. Halo Reach {X360}

Other confirmed Top 10s in SKU separation format (in order):

Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep (PSP)
Metroid: Other M (Wii)
New Super Mario Bros. Wii (Wii)

I'm guessing other definites would be Madden NFL 11 (X360), Dead Rising 2 (X360), Madden NFL 11 (PS3) and... I'm going to "guess" NHL 11 (X360), Modern Warfare 2 (X360) and pick one from either Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Wii), Dead Rising 2 (PS3) and Wii Fit Plus (Wii).

Now we just have to put them in order. :D

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Sad day. NPD releases of months-gone-by are already fading into the distant past for me, so correct me if I'm wrong*, but didn't we usually see the big three put out their monthly spin by the evening of NPD day? If so, it's pretty notable that we haven't seen any PR from them yet. No more pressure to spin, I suppose.

*If I am wrong, just ignore everything after the word "wrong" :lol

Road

The 360 has passed the Wii year-to-date if the numbers we have are true:

360 - 3.209 million
WII - 3.208 million

=P

Kusagari said:
Kingdom Hearts would still probably be in the top 10.
Madden 360/PS3 and maybe even Wii could be above it. Dead Rising on 360 and PS3. NHL on PS3 and 360, FIFA on 360 and PS3.

that'd push it out of the top ten and seems pretty plausible too. only someone with the numbers could say for sure whether it outsold all of those.

Top Bottom