• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sequels with an "overglorified DLC" or "expansion pack" feel?

I would say Tales of Xillia 2 best exemplifies this

I am not exaggurating when I say like at least 90% of the assets in that game are copy pasted from the first. Graphics look entirely the same, UIs look the same, gameplay is pretty much the same but with a DMC style bar(not complaining though since this makes it twice as fun). And the story feels more like a spin off or DLC than a proper continuation of the first, it's mostly just episodic time travel plots set in locations from the first game and feature a completely new main character who wasn't even in the first game.

EDIT: This isn't a thread trying to undermine the newest Zelda game. I don't care about TOTK, I did not buy the game and I didn't play much of BOTW either. If you like it more power to you. I just saw some threads about "expansion pack sequels"(which may have been made to undermine TOTK) which inspired this post.

Take your silly and juvenile exclusive/console wars somewhere else. I'm going to ignore the next person who accuses me of attacking TOTK.

Last edited:
Yes but that game is one of those games that are intentionally built to be DLC games, like inFAMOUS First Light. Technically it is also a spin-off, the sequel is coming later this year.
Ok ya, I guess Miles isn’t technically a sequel.
Got a bit over excited and posted without fully thinking it through, was just the first thing that immediately came to mind when I read the thread title.

TLZ

Banned
I'm playing Zelda and I can't help shake the feeling I'm playing an extension of BOTW, which I honestly feel is 3-4 years too late. The graphics aren't good. The resolution, performance and all the shimmering are bad.

BUT

I'm enjoying it as I did BOTW.

Kataploom

Gold Member
None. Sequels don't need to redo everything and look different to be a sequel, they just have to have different content... People should stop crying about it.

Many DLC and expansions fall under the sequel label as much a standalone games and the opposite is also true. Nothing wrong to be both ways.

It's the same as labeling assets reuse as "lazy"and boycott a game for to that... Damn people should really find an actual meaningful purpose in their lives lol

Hey OP, there is no one on the planet that you are gonna convince that this thread isn't just another underhanded TOTK diss.

Can't be a coincidence that we have had like 2 or 3 of these kinda threads in the last 24hrs alone.
If you want be paranoid that i'm attacking your darling game. Not my problem.

Hey, maybe I am and this comment is a cover up.

Spin Chess GIF by Feliks Tomasz Konczakowski

Tg89

Can't think of any and frankly the way people apply the concept is reductive and stupid. Game development costs a shitton of money and the idea that every sequel should reinvent the wheel just to justify a price tag is stupid. Especially in cases where the original game is incredibly well received...like you just want them to ditch something everyone liked? You don't want more of that? Stupid.

People also pick and choose aspects to justify as if assets or a UI make up the majority of dev costs lol.

Last edited:

Mr.Phoenix

If you want be paranoid that i'm attacking your darling game. Not my problem.

Hey, maybe I am and this comment is a cover up.

Spin Chess GIF by Feliks Tomasz Konczakowski
Not even a fan of the game....

All I am saying though is that it can't be a coincidence that on the day said the game is released... we have had three such identical threads.

What's even worse, is that the premise of the argument is so silly and flawed that it's impossible to see it as anything as trolling.

How about this, just to prove my point, can you name 5 direct sequels to games in the past say... 25 years that were vastly different from the game that was before them? Actually lets make that 3... point is, anyone that has been gaming and knows how games work, knows exactly what it means when a direct sequel is made.

Not even a fan of the game....

All I am saying though is that it can't be a coincidence that on the day said the game is released... we have had three such identical threads.

What's even worse, is that the premise of the argument is so silly and flawed that it's impossible to see it as anything as trolling.

How about this, just to prove my point, can you name 5 direct sequels to games in the past say... 25 years that were vastly different from the game that was before them? Actually lets make that 3... point is, anyone that has been gaming and knows how games work, knows exactly what it means when a direct sequel is made.
Yes because TOTK caused someone to make a thread about it being expansion pack sequel which in turn inspired the topic for the thread. It's like you don't understand cause and effect.

Last edited:
Can't think of any and frankly the way people apply the concept is reductive and stupid. Game development costs a shitton of money and the idea that every sequel should reinvent the wheel just to justify a price tag is stupid. Especially in cases where the original game is incredibly well received...like you just want them to ditch something everyone liked? You don't want more of that? Stupid.

People also pick and choose aspects to justify as if assets or a UI make up the majority of dev costs lol.
Why do you pretend as if there's a binary flowchart for a sequel where it has to either completely reinvent the wheel or copy/paste 90% of assets from the previous game with no inbetween?

Last edited:

SeraphJan

And people accuse me of being repetitive. At least I spread my God of War threads over a couple of months, lol.
Still hadn't get over it? Well now that there is another big title just launched yesterday, another entry might awaits you. However unlike GoW this time you will thank whoever that will close your post to save you from the feedbacks, because the alternative will be much worst.
stare-sam-jackson.gif

Last edited:
GOW Ragnorok and From games. I'm sorry my friends.

TOTK is the opposite its more differents than most sequels I played cuz they actually majorly change the gameplay.

TotK is in the same camp as GOW / Souls

The gameplay and structure aren’t majorly changed at all. ER is certainly a much bigger departure than TotK is to BoTW

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
Still hadn't get over it? Well now that there is another big title just launched yesterday, another entry might awaits you. However unlike GoW this time you will thank whoever that will close your post to save you from the feedbacks, because the alternative will be much worst.
stare-sam-jackson.gif
What, you mean Zelda? No thanks, I'm heterosexual.

For the last time, the "expansion pack sequel" inspired this thread. Which may or may not have been inspired in turn by TOTKs release. In this post I didn't mention TOTK at all I mentioned TOX2 as the example. If you like the game then more power to you but don't accuse me of attacking it. Now shoo.

Take your silly and juvenile exclusive/console wars somewhere else. I'm just going to ignore the next person who accuses me of attacking TOTK.

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

I don't mind sequels heavily based on the original if the gameplay loop is built in a way that it remains entertaining. Like for instance sequels for the latest Hitman trilogy or the Sniper Elite games sometimes feel like expansion packs, but I still enjoy them very much. I think in my case the joy comes primarily from exploring the new maps, it wouldn't work with every genre.

Mr.Phoenix

Golden Axe Beast Warrior
Fallout III
Burnout Paradise
Bomberman Zero
Banjo Kazooie nuts and bolts
Bionic Commando
Great.... so 6 games? Oh, you also forgot SF1 to SF2 also forgot legacy of Kain to legacy of Kain soul reaver... So instead of the 6 you just gave, how about we just double it and say 12 games? Or even better, let's triple it and say 18 games.

So that's 18 sequels out of how many that's been released in the past 30 years? 1000? 2000? Hope you see the point. You cannot base an argument on the exception as if it's the norm. That's just not how gaming has been. Sequs of games have generally always been very very similar to the games that come before them. Some more than others.

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
For the last time, the "expansion pack sequel" inspired this thread. Which may or may not have been inspired in turn by TOTKs release. In this post I didn't mention TOTK at all I mentioned TOX2 as the example. Now shoo.

Take your silly and juvenile exclusive/console wars somewhere else. I'm just going to ignore the next person who accuses me of attacking TOTK.
Why was it necessary to make a separate thread about it, then? Oh, what an amazing coincidence that people decided to spam these threads just in time for a release of a game that is very overtly being accused of not shaking things up enough.

soprano-get-the-fuck-outta-here.gif

And before you jump down my throat about defending my "precious game" or whatever - I don't care about Zelda. I don't even have a Switch and I don't plan on getting one either, so I literally have no horse in this race. You're either just tone deaf of deliberately trolling so whatever your motives are, don't be surprised that people call you out.

Last edited:
Top Bottom