• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sequels with an "overglorified DLC" or "expansion pack" feel?

KellyM

Final Fantasy x 2
I love Katamari..
Gods of War 2
God of War Ragnarok
I hate to say this..cause I love this game but...Octopath Travler 2,

The EDF series probably falls into this category at times. Sure they add some features and spruce up the graphics each release, 2025 to 4.1 being the most egregious for this, as the core gameplay is the same as it was on PS2. That's fine for me tho as the gameplay loop is top-notch

Last edited:

Kumomeme

Zelda ToTK originally supposed to be an expansion/DLC so no suprise, if this is what people want to get to from this thread.

due to the immense volume, they turned it into fullfledge sequel instead. the devs itself acknowledged this from very beginning.
“When we released the DLC for Breath of the Wild, we realized that this is a great way to add more elements to the same world. But when it comes down to technical things, DLC is pretty much data—you’re adding data to a preexisting title. And so when we wanted to add bigger changes, DLC is not enough, and that’s why we thought maybe a sequel would be a good fit.- Aonuma

Schreier: Was this sequel originally planned as DLC?
Initially we were thinking of just DLC ideas, but then we had a lot of ideas and we said, “This is too many ideas, let’s just make one new game and start from scratch.”

When asked if this sequel was originally planned as DLC, Aonuma responded that “initially we were thinking of just DLC ideas, but then we had a lot of ideas and we said, ‘This is too many ideas, let’s just make one new game and start from scratch.’”

Last edited:

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
Spider-man Miles, Far Cry Primal, Zelda TotK, etc... pretty much anything that uses the same map and sells it full price ($10 more in Miles and Zelda).

Variahunter

I think that falls into a special class of games that are like Majora's Mask: a lot of the same assets, but used to build something brand new.
But it’s not brand new. It’s the same map slightly modified.

It’s like saying Majora was in the same map than OoT. It does not make sense.

There’s a difference between reusing assets (which I don’t mind at all), and reusing the same map when your game is about EXPLORATION !

Soodanim

Gold Member
But it’s not brand new. It’s the same map slightly modified.

It’s like saying Majora was in the same map than OoT. It does not make sense.

There’s a difference between reusing assets (which I don’t mind at all), and reusing the same map when your game is about EXPLORATION !
You think New Vegas is the same map as 3 but slightly modified?

I'm surprised nobody said Left 4 Dead 2. Everything that was done in that game could have just been added onto the first game in services. As evidenced by the fact that the game just takes all of the content from the first game and includes it in the second game.

That said, I love Left 4 Dead 2 and it's one of my favorite games of all time.

They are all linear, there are just more branching paths in the ones preceding 3. You kind of make circuits through the levels in 1 and 2.

Variahunter

You think New Vegas is the same map as 3 but slightly modified?
I haven't played New Vegas. Just Fallout 3 so I can't comment on this.

I think New Vegas has an entirely new map ? I just looked at Fallout 3 map and New Vegas map and they don't look the same at all.

So I don't really understand your comment here.

Soodanim

Gold Member
I haven't played New Vegas. Just Fallout 3 so I can't comment on this.

I think New Vegas has an entirely new map ? I just looked at Fallout 3 map and New Vegas map and they don't look the same at all.

So I don't really understand your comment here.
The reply chain is about Fallout

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Sonic & Knuckes, Wolfenstein: Spear of Destiny and Commander Keen Aliens Ate my Babysitter were the OGs. And Doom II a little later.

Last edited:

MLSabre

Honestly, we need more of this. This use to be the norm in the pre PS3. You would get 3-4 games in a series out of a generation. Now you're lucky to get one.
People don't appreciate what they got until they lost it forever.

Anyways, RE3R gives me the vibe of an expansion pack.

Last edited:

Gambit2483

Miles Morales was never announced or marketed as a "sequel". It was always a standalone expansion. Narrative-wise you could maybe consider it as "Spider-Man 1.5" since the events of Miles Morales lead up to the events of Spider-Man 2 (i.e. Peter and Miles officially becoming a spectacular duo)

9EOdDFC.jpg

Last edited:

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
It's really weird how we are putting sequels in a "sequel nest", and others as DLC. I mean, we have shit like this since the dawn of videogames as a whole

I mean, Ultima 1 to 4 is basically the same game. Doom 1 and 2 are basically the same game. A lot of the Mega Man games are the same, even the modern ones. Far Cry since 3 doesn't look that different. Some could argue that CoD and Battlefield are two different games. And have you ever see sports games?!

There's a lot of technical shit we don't see it, and it's ok to judge some stuff, but I think people should ask for having a good time or not. New God of War and Zelda are not that different from before, but you know they are, and people worked they ass out to release those. So it's fine to ask for more, but don't be shitty about it

Just Cause 3.

I'm playing it right now for the first time, and even though I'm having a blast, it's pretty much Just Cause 2 with a wingsuit.

Has the same terrible writing and nonsensical plot too.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
After Burner II and Galaxy Force II are the worst offenders of all time. They barely qualify as a patch.

R-Type Final 3 in recent memory.

Top Bottom