• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Series X first game to play?

reforen

the first Series X|S thing I played was Immortals Fenyx Rising, pretty good game but not a tech demo. you will love the fast load times.

Bryank75

Banned
serious breaking bad GIF

StormCell

Just acquired a Series X after months of disappointment, so out of all current games out (including backwards compatible games) would Gaf recommend playing first? Obviously something that's a tech showcase for the new console.
I also got a Series X a little over a month ago, and the first game I jumped into (with absolutely no regrets) is Forza Horizon 4. I had been away from Xbox since 360, and let me tell you that coming from PS4 this game has actually restored a large amount of my faith in the industry to make actually fun racing games. I love every aspect of Horizon 4. I love the way that it keeps introducing you to new races during your first 20 hours without making you feel overwhelmed. Particularly I'm referring to the seasons (fall, winter, spring, and summer). Holy damn is this game loads of fun! As a matter of fact, I can't wait to get back to winter for more races through the snow!

PS. For any Xbox fans who know me from the Nintendo discussions, feel free to quote me: "Holy damn is this game loads of fun!" - StormCell re: Forza Horizon 4

PSS. Other games I've played or am playing include Dragon Quest 11, Dragon Quest Builders 2, MLB The Show 21, Halo CE

Last edited:

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Gears 5, specifically the hivebusters dlc which is in game pass ultimate.
Ah man, you beat me to it. :messenger_grinning_smiling:
Gears 5 Series X and particularly Hivebusters are exceptional graphical show cases (and also a helluva lot of fun)

Edit - Oh and congratz on your new acquisition, OP.

Last edited:

sircaw

Banned
i would probably try out the new resident evil, its meant to be really good.

Last edited:

Perrott

Gold Member
D4: Dark Dreams Don't Die, Quantum Break, Project Gotham Racing 4, Grand Theft Auto IV, Fallout 3, Skate 3, Black

Last edited:
A buddy of mine just got his this weekend and I had him load up Valhalla, Hivebusters, and Resident Evil 8 so he could be impressed lol

But everyone in the thread already gave good suggestions too.

I don't know if I missed it or not, but the new Hitman game is beautiful too

GhostOfTsu

Banned
Gears 5 and Horizon 4 are the only tech showcase from MS and it's very underwhelming coming from One X and PC. Old news by now.

I say get Resident Evil 8. No exclusive match it and it's the hot new game.

RobRSG

D4: Dark Dreams Don't Die, Quantum Break, Project Gotham Racing 4, Grand Theft Auto IV, Fallout 3, Skate 3, Black
PGR4 is not a BC game.

I can recommend Resident Evil Village, The Medium, Judgment, Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 1+2, Forza Horizon 4 and Gears 5 Hivebusters.

For BC games: Ys Origin, Nier Replicant ver. 1.22, Nier Automata, Yakuza 0, Ninja Gaiden Black, Ninja Gaiden 2, Resident Evil 2 Remake.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

Ori and the will of the wisps at 4k120 or 6k60 is gorgeous with proper hdr calibration

The only proper way to calibrate HDR in Ori 2 I found was to turn it off. Its fucking crap imo, I even spoke to the devs and they were like "move the sliders to calibrate the image" after I had written pages telling them it looked like shit on any setting compared to SDR. I think it probably looks good on low contrast displays because they can't show the black level it asks for, but it sucked ass on my backlit LCD, it genuinely looked awful on default settings, even setting the contrast slider to minimum was blown out and terrible for me.

I don't know why you'd ever lose shadow detail in HDR, there should be more, and the highlights are blown out and worse than HDR. Best thing to do is turn up your display backlight to max and increase colour saturation a tiny bit if you want something similar to the HDR output but without any of the downsides I mentioned above that the HDR has.

If a game needs to have its HDR calibration sliders altered in this way and that much to look comparable to the SDR presentation that usually tells me they haven't tested it on enough display types. It must be something to do with the workflow of how they create the HDR imagery, because most games with great HDR just need you to set peak brightness and paper white and they look amazing.

I hope all games start to use the in-console HDR settings soon, like some first party PS4/5 titles do now.

Last edited:
Gears 5 and Gears 5 Hivebusters, best looking Xbox exclusive out right now and arguably the most fun.

Or if you want a next gen experience (frame rate, ray tracing, etc.) I highly recommend DMC5 Special Edition, Control Ultimate Edition or RE: Village

OT asks for tech showcases for his new Series X.

He gets a list of old games from the previous generation.

Only on Xbox©.

🥺
To be fair, the optimized X/S titles and FPS Boost are worth it, old or new.

RE:Village isn't old and technically speaking Gears 5 isn't either, out of all last gen titles, Gears 5 got the best next gen upgrades, making it feel like a brand new game IMHO

Hopefully Halo Infinite and Starfield starts a new path of Xbox Exclusives showing it's true graphical power

Mr.ODST

Gears 5 Hivebusters
Sea of Thieves (Just look at the best water in gaming)
Halo MCC for some old-school goodness especially with infinite coming out they have done an amazing job on the collection now
Tetris Effect

Then you have GamePass which just destroys your plans for completing a backlog.

Barakov

Gold Member
Just acquired a Series X after months of disappointment, so out of all current games out (including backwards compatible games) would Gaf recommend playing first? Obviously something that's a tech showcase for the new console.
This seems like a hostage situation. What are your motives you maniac?

betrayal

Banned

To be fair, the optimized X/S titles and FPS Boost are worth it, old or new.

RE:Village isn't old and technically speaking Gears 5 isn't either, out of all last gen titles, Gears 5 got the best next gen upgrades, making it feel like a brand new game IMHO

Hopefully Halo Infinite and Starfield starts a new path of Xbox Exclusives showing it's true graphical power

I have nothing against the Xbox. I've had every generation so far (I love Forza), but this generation somehow doesn't really hook me. This thread is just kind of characteristic of that, which I personally think is a shame.

I also don't understand why everyone always automatically assumes that you're either a PS fan or an Xbox fan. Rumor has it that you can definitely like both.

Top Bottom