• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadow Tactics |OT| A worthy Commandos spiritual successor [PS4/X1 on August 1st]

Hope this find a decent audience on consoles. It's already a relative big success on PC (~160,000 according to Steamspy). I want them to make more Shadow Tactics games, different eras would be cool

UberTag

Hope this find a decent audience on consoles. It's already a relative big success on PC (~160,000 according to Steamspy). I want them to make more Shadow Tactics games, different eras would be cool
My preorder is en route from Amazon but I'm not optimistic about its sales fortunes given its release window and decided lack of buzz.
Even that early 89 score on Metacritic isn't getting people talking.

Just played the demo of this on PS4. I'd been keeping an eye on it on PC but had no idea it had direct control for some reason. Plays reaaaally well on PS4 so I'm definitely gonna pick it up at some point.

Sounds good to me. Will be buying tomorrow when it releases.

xrnzaaas

Yeah I ended up not waiting after all, because I'm a huge Commandos & Desperados fan. I only finished the first mission, but I already love it and I see myself spending a lot of time with this game.

The only thing that bothers me is that in the console versions they added speedrun challenges to the badges requirements. This is not a game that where I want to race against time. Oh well, I'm going to fight for the platinum I guess.

I really hope so too. This was one of my favorite games from last year, and probably one of the most well designed games I've played.

danowat

Banned

Played the demo, and it's really good.

Doesn't look that great on console, quite lo-res and a bit jaggy, and I am fairly sure it doesn't have an Pro advancements.

At £35, I think it might struggle to find much of an audience, but it's on my radar, especially if the price comes down a bit in the near future.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Wonder how this controls on PS4. Tried the PC demo but laptop was too butt to handle it.

xrnzaaas

Wonder how this controls on PS4. Tried the PC demo but laptop was too butt to handle it.

They're really good. The only think that you must get used to is that the camera doesn't automatically follow your current character. You move him with the left stick and move the camera with the right one (obviously there are also more advanced options for rotating and zooming in/out). It certainly helps that it's a game where it pays to be patient and to carefully plan your next steps.

danowat

Banned
They're really good. The only think that you must get used to is that the camera doesn't automatically follow your current character. You move him with the left stick and move the camera with the right one (obviously there are also more advanced options for rotating and zooming in/out).

I didn't check, but is there any one to change the way the RS works?

I'd prefer rotate to be RS and pan to be RS + RT, rather than the other way round as it is by default.

BeeDog

Tried the demo, and progressed in the mission up until you use the cannon to unite the characters before I decided to delete it. Really good first impression, definitely scratches that Commandos itch.

Glad to see there were tons of options in the PS4 menu, including a V-sync option to toggle between 30fps/60fps/unlimited. Played the demo at 60fps and it seemed to run perfectly fine, didn't notice any slowdowns aside from the cutscene where you use the aforementioned cannon.

Will probably pick up the game within a week or so!

I didn't check, but is there any one to change the way the RS works?

I'd prefer rotate to be RS and pan to be RS + RT, rather than the other way round as it is by default.

I had the same issue and couldnt find a way to reverse them, there are some controller options (on PC at least) that you can fiddle with.

By a couple of missions though i had got used to the controls and it wasnt an issue for the rest of the game. Well worth sticking with it.

xrnzaaas

I'm currently doing mission 3 and this is awesome. The maps look beautiful and it's not too easy (I'm playing on normal). My only complaint are (again) the badges. In mission 2 not only you must do another speedrun but also finish the level without saving.. nope ain't happening. ;)

This game kicks ass. Just finished first mission on PS4, and it's really fun. Scratches a pc style tactics itch I've had for a while. And on the PS4! And it controls great!

Planning moves for multiple characters and then executing them all at once is super satisfying.

danowat

Banned
I'm currently doing mission 3 and this is awesome. The maps look beautiful and it's not too easy (I'm playing on normal). My only complaint are (again) the badges. In mission 2 not only you must do another speedrun but also finish the level without saving.. nope ain't happening. ;)

This game kicks ass. Just finished first mission on PS4, and it's really fun. Scratches a pc style tactics itch I've had for a while. And on the PS4! And it controls great!

Planning moves for multiple characters and then executing them all at once is super satisfying.

Yeah, it's good, it's really really good, but I am sure, just like many other games, it will get overlooked by the usual console crowd.

I'll get the full game once I am finished with Children of the Zodiarcs, which incidentally is also a really really good tactics game.

Lime

This definitely would've made my top 5 of 2016 had I known and had the time to play it. I really hope it does well for the company, it's an absolute masterpiece to me.

KJRS_1993

I loved Commandos, I might have to try and make the time to try this out in the future. Hopefully the price may have come down a bit by then as well.

can you save mid mission?
Oh yeah. Quicksave is done with a single click of the touch pad and when you die you can easily load any of your last few saves. There is even a color coded timer reminding you how long it has been since your last save.It's all really well thought out.

pots555

Shipping coming only next week from Amazon. Noooo! From what they said, they did not expect so many orders and have trouble with the distributor... hopefully by I'll get it Monday...

JP

This looks fantastic, it's just not a good time for me to buy it at the moment. I'm sure I will soon though.

Does it run well on the PS4 Pro?

uceenk

seems fun, definetly will keep an eye on it

hope the console port as good as the PC

edit: woo just checked on PSN, they already released it, will try the demo

Green Yoshi

Doesn't look that great on console, quite lo-res and a bit jaggy, and I am fairly sure it doesn't have an Pro advancements.
You can play the game with 60 fps on PS4 Pro.

https://blog.eu.playstation.com/201...pyre-and-shadow-tactics-analysed/#sf100676355

I think they already announced in a German podcast that there next game will be similar to Shadow Tactics.

Finished three missions so far. Third was the best, infiltrating a mansion from the rooftops, methodically clearing out guards, striking from above like some kind of shinobi eagle.

Synergy between different character skills is great too. Oh look, a bottle of saki! *trap*

pronk420

I think they already announced in a German podcast that there next game will be similar to Shadow Tactics.

Awesome, I'd really like to see a WW1/2 game like this, or another completely different era. Japan again would be a bit too much of the same thing I think.

Hammer24

Banned
Game is amazing on console, especially at the price people need to buy it!

Three small questions / complaints:
- is there a way to change the direction of the map rotation? Feels bad to me
- is there a way to send a character to a spot without moving it all the way with the stick?
- is there a way to group several characters to move them all at once?

Like I said, small nitpicks due to controller. Game itself is a masterpiece. Maps offer so many different avenues to puzzle your way through, and are beautifully drawn.

pronk420

- is there a way to group several characters to move them all at once?

If you press up on the d-pad it goes into 'Shadow mode' or something and that lets you queue up orders for all the characters I think. You can tell them to move, attack people etc. I'm pretty sure its in the tutorial in the first level. You could probably use it to queue up movement for a single character as well.

boskee

I waited 15 years for a good Commandos/Desperados type of game. Shadow Tactics has delivered. I'm all over that game, although the control system on the PS4 feels awkward. I got used to it by the end of the second mission and can't really think of how they could've made it better, so there's that.

In any case I highly recommend this game.

xrnzaaas

Kuno-ichi's distract technique is so good it almost feels like a cheat. Especially when paired w/ samurai partner....

Yeah I think it should have a limited number of uses before the disguise stops working, but at least it doesn't work on enemy samurais and that for me made the end of the fourth mission more challenging. :)

Also I found it pretty weird yesterday that Takuma doesn't have a melee attack. Maybe it suits his character, but it makes me use him even less often during a mission (I still haven't properly "tested" his pet though).

Uhh is the pricing way off for anyone else? It's currently 599SEK (€60) here in Sweden which is frankly ridiculous. I was expecting the pricing to be more in line with steam, not twice as much.

xrnzaaas

Uhh is the pricing way off for anyone else? It's currently 599SEK (€60) here in Sweden which is frankly ridiculous. I was expecting the pricing to be more in line with steam, not twice as much.

You're talking about a retail version, right? The price of the digital version is 40€ (369SEK).

Top Bottom