• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadow Tactics |OT| A worthy Commandos spiritual successor [PS4/X1 on August 1st]

xrnzaaas

I'm looking at the Xbox Store for Sweden. It launched at 449SEK (€45) and then the price was raised to 599SEK (€60).

Oh, okay, I was talking about the PS4 version. I have no idea why they raised the price on the Xbox.

Just checked on the Polish Xbox store, it's still the equivalent of 45€ (which is 5 more than the PS4 version).

Hammer24

Banned
If you press up on the d-pad it goes into 'Shadow mode' or something and that lets you queue up orders for all the characters I think. You can tell them to move, attack people etc. I'm pretty sure its in the tutorial in the first level. You could probably use it to queue up movement for a single character as well.

Sure, you could set up waypoints and execute them. But that beats the purpose of simply grouping and moving everyone at the same time.

Mission 5 is super fun but i got my first bug 1.5 hrs into it and almost restarted. If yabu gets stuck, scare him or the lady next to the gong. After the ? Phase they will start their normal routines

Hammer24

Banned
Found a way to group! But don't know yet, if this only works in the mission where you rescue the civilians:
Hold RB to show the character selection screen, press X. All characters move together!

xrnzaaas

Just finished mission 6, it was awesome. I love night missions and it's even better that they've added the light sources mechanic which makes things tougher. On the other hand triple assassinations make the game a lot easier especially since the entire patrol usually reacts to strange sounds even if only one person was in range of an ability.

Just finished mission 6, it was awesome. I love night missions and it's even better that they've added the light sources mechanic which makes things tougher. On the other hand triple assassinations make the game a lot easier especially since the entire patrol usually reacts to strange sounds even if only one person was in range of an ability.
I always just imagined that the alerted person is telling the others to come with him, instead of being stupid and going alone

xrnzaaas

Yeah that's a good thing imo. I also like how some guards go into alerted state if their colleagues are missing from their posts although it's not as extreme as in Desperados.

Found a way to group! But don't know yet, if this only works in the mission where you rescue the civilians:
Hold RB to show the character selection screen, press X. All characters move together!
Yes it works it's strange they didn't cover that in any of the tutorials. I imagine it'll be impossible to beat a lot of speedruns without it.

MayMay

Banned
This game is so stupidly good, I really hope they'll make another one of those in a western setting. I miss Desperados.

Doombear

This game is so stupidly good, I really hope they'll make another one of those in a western setting. I miss Desperados.

Agreed. I am loving every minute of it. Just finished the 7th Mission. It took me 3 hours. Yep. I know that is waaaaaaay too long. I killed them all though. Every single enemy. It had to be done.

xrnzaaas

Imo the beginning of mission 7 was tougher imo. Eliminating the enemies from the fields can be a pain in the ass, because you're not "invisible" there and you can also generate extra noise.

The first part of mission 8 was also something else, because I didn't realize that
eliminating an officer immediately clears the surrounding area of enemies
Instead I was eliminating enemies one by one very slowly and trying to find another person that's more alone than the others. ;)

UrbanRats

Played the first level in the demo on PS4, it was incredibly fun, i'll get it on PC for sure.

EDIT: Anyone else has a problem with downsampling in this game? I put it in 4K, but it looks just 1200p (my native res) anyway.
Seeing as this is Unity, and Layers of Fear gave me the same issue (also Unity) i wonder if it's a common problem, or just a coincidence.

I googled but can't find anything on it, people seem to downsample without issue.

pots555

Well, it's tough all right but I'm loving it. The music, setting, characters and gameplay are great. I have troubles getting used to the camera but I am getting more confortable the more I play.

Been pretty interested since seeing ACGs review. On my Amazon wish list but can't justify the money right now. Some good impressions here though.

Rizific

i cant believe i missed this game when it released on pc. only found out about it during the "games in august" thread. i started the game last week and have been hooked since. controls take getting used to thats for sure. im thinking im towards the end already and i dont want it to end. its been the perfect game to fill in the space until mario rabbids and xcom2 dlc arrives.

xrnzaaas

Just finished level 10...
RIP Mugen, a bold move to take away an important character with very useful abilities

xrnzaaas

Either one of them would be awesome, but I admit I prefer the Wild West setting and also Desperados had more likeable and unique characters. :)

Lime

Played the first level in the demo on PS4, it was incredibly fun, i'll get it on PC for sure.

EDIT: Anyone else has a problem with downsampling in this game? I put it in 4K, but it looks just 1200p (my native res) anyway.
Seeing as this is Unity, and Layers of Fear gave me the same issue (also Unity) i wonder if it's a common problem, or just a coincidence.

I googled but can't find anything on it, people seem to downsample without issue.

You have to set your monitor to the desired resolution and then make sure that Windows isn't set to a zoom in - i.e. it needs to be 100 % and not the default 200 %

xrnzaaas

I just got to the 12th mission and I have a small question for those who played it - can
Masaru
wake up during this mission or can I just leave him somewhere without worrying about that?

One thing I don't like in this game is that you can't tie people up like in Desperados so I usually end up killing everybody or throw unconscious bodies off the cliff or into the water. ;)

I just got to the 12th mission and I have a small question for those who played it - can
Masaru
wake up during this mission or can I just leave him somewhere without worrying about that?

He never wakes up. Feel free to just drop him, use your whole squad and then pick him up when you need him.

Edit: wait, i'm thinking of another mission. I'm actually not sure!

TheKeyPit

Banned
The original Commandos was one of the first games that I played on my first PC back then.

I'll keep an eye out for this one.

xrnzaaas

He never wakes up. Feel free to just drop him, use your whole squad and then pick him up when you need him.

Edit: wait, i'm thinking of another mission. I'm actually not sure!

He doesn't wake up in the twelfth mission, I just tried that. In the previous mission I didn't test it so I had to rely on one character less after I've organized the abduction too soon. ;)

In other news the beginning of the final mission has a nice difficulty spike. I felt like there was the only one available path up to the moment when all the characters reunite.

xrnzaaas

So I've finished the game (the final level was the only one that took me over 3 hours :D). It was really awesome, but I feel like it could've used maybe another 2 missions. Thankfully there weren't any poorly designed missions in the game so I had fun throughout the entire thing. I also ended up really liking the shadow mode and it's pretty surprising for me, because I was ignoring a similar mode in Desperados for most of the time. I will definitely support the dev whatever they do next. :)

Lime

Thought you meant this (exclusive to Germany)

ShadowTactics-PCGames-Unboxing-xInhalte7-pc-games.jpg

http://www.mediamarkt.de/de/product/_shadow-tactics-collector-s-edition-strategie-pc-2188105.html

xrnzaaas

You didn't. But take your time to enjoy every little detail (and to take out every single character if that's your thing ;)) since there are "only" 13 missions in the game (Desperados had almost twice as many and even though some of them were short it still was a longer game overall).

Doombear

So I've finished the game (the final level was the only one that took me over 3 hours :D). It was really awesome, but I feel like it could've used maybe another 2 missions. Thankfully there weren't any poorly designed missions in the game so I had fun throughout the entire thing. I also ended up really liking the shadow mode and it's pretty surprising for me, because I was ignoring a similar mode in Desperados for most of the time. I will definitely support the dev whatever they do next. :)

Yeah me too! I am not even to the final mission yet (just got to Mission 9) but I am already dreading finishing it =P. There are plenty of badges and challenges I can go back for, but for me at least that is less compelling and exciting than experiencing each mission for the first time. I would absolutely pay for a pack of DLC missions or something like that. I know I am going to be left wanting more when it is all said and done. I am LOVING this game.

Having never played Commandos or Desperados either, I would buy a remake of those in a heartbeat.

TheKeyPit

Banned
What's up with the VSYNC setting on consoles? Off, 30 or 60? What offers the best performance?

You didn't. But take your time to enjoy every little detail (and to take out every single character if that's your thing ;)) since there are "only" 13 missions in the game (Desperados had almost twice as many and even though some of them were short it still was a longer game overall).
I'll do.

Seventy5

This game is fantastic. Daedalic sent me a free code on Twitter when I complained about Valhalla Hills on PS4 being broken, and I'm seriously going to buy it on my Xbone just to support Mimimi. I missed out on Commandos back I the day and now I'm kicking myself. Such a fun, tactical game, I hope it starts a trend.

[NaK]

Im glad I saw this thread, because I love Commandos but had completely missed this game.
Downloaded the demo and fell in love right away :)
The controls on PS4 is a bit janky at times, but overall, it's a fantastic Commandos clone.

I talked some of my friends at work into buying it aswell, and we've been discussing tactics and solutions every day since. Just like old times. Fantastic stuff.

Prithee Be Careful

Industry Professional
Just got to Mount Tsuru Prison and damn... the story and writing is really impressive for this sort of game. Between this and the incredible gameplay, it's my current frontrunner for Game of the Year.

Pulling off the multiple 'Shadow Mode' kills is just about the most satisfying thing I've done in a game all year.

pots555

This game is not easy. Just spent 2 hours on one level. I thought I would not make it, but really careful planning helped a lot. I must learn to better use the map and check out line of sights much more!

xrnzaaas

2 hours per level is pretty normal. You can even spend 3 hours or more if you'll make it your mission to eliminate absolutely every opponent on the map :)
and eliminating enemies like the samurai can be very problematic

pots555

2 hours per level is pretty normal. You can even spend 3 hours or more if you'll make it your mission to eliminate absolutely every opponent on the map :)
and eliminating enemies like the samurai can be very problematic

Tell me about it! Those later levels are huge and involve a lot more tactics than in the beginning. On a side note, the environments are just beautiful.

wouwie

That demo sold me on the game. I don't have much experience with these type of games (as a kid, i remember the Commandos games being very popular) but this demo was fun. Production values weren't bad either and the whole thing feels polished. Also, it's cool that you can play with japanese voices but unfortunately any NPC dialogue isn't subtitled so it's not a real option if you don't understand japanese. The japanese voices would have made it feel more authentic.

I'm definately picking this up at some point in the future.

Top Bottom