• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadow Tactics |OT| A worthy Commandos spiritual successor [PS4/X1 on August 1st]

"Overwhelmingly Positive" on Steam

Owners: 18,668 ±3,560, which in five days is already nearly half of the sales of their previous game (The Last Tinker, 2014 release, 39,824 ± 5,200)

This is seeming like a solid success for them.

demon arm

I played the demo and thoroughly enjoyed the first two levels. I just completed the third, and I must say, it was even better. A wonderful sense of scale, and quite a challenge, If the quality remains this high, I'll be very impressed!

Moff

thanks GAF, demo is great, fantastic gameplay and I really dig the artstyle
the setting is just not doing much for me, maybe I'll pick it up on a sale

Alric

Another convinced Demo player. After seeing this thread I downloaded the Demo on GOG and it's awesome. I'll definitely try and get it in the near future when I clear out some of my backlog.

taoofjord

Super happy the game is doing well so far. I really enjoyed the demo and loved the Commando series so I picked it up immediately. Great move on their part to launch with a demo and controller support. I think both decisions helped them quite a bit.

These missions can take a really long time. I was initially put off by the mission count but seeing as how I can put an hour and a half into one and not even be doing challenges I think it'll be more than enough.

O.DOGG

These missions can take a really long time. I was initially put off by the mission count but seeing as how I can put an hour and a half into one and not even be doing challenges I think it'll be more than enough.

Yes, the missions are very long. I've put in 14 hours according to Steam, and I'm currently up to Mission 7. There's a lot of value in that game, especially if you go back and try to get the badges or replay on harder difficulty.

THIS GAME.
It took me two and a half hours to complete the fifth mission.
But blowing up the target and his samurai with a grenade was worth it.
Killing guards is also way too much fun. I even do it when I don't have to :D

I usually kill everyone that I can, so I end up spending way above average time on each mission. Sometimes I find myself just killing my way through a place, and the I remember that there are actually objectives.

Btw, do anyone know of other ways to kill samurai than using Mugen or the pistols?

Ive been playing for about 9 hours and up to the fifth stage.

I want to go back and do a lot of the challenges but there is no way I will ever get the speed running one. There is just no way.

Phinor

Yup yup.

Fired up the demo.

Beat the first level.

Purchased the game.

That demo is selling a lot of copies and it's especially helpful because $40 price point is considered quite high in the PC market right now. You try the demo and realize the game is actually really that good and the price point starts to feel pretty fair. Demo won't do you much good if your game isn't great but when it is, it's still a great tool for promotion.

luoapp

Just curious how many missions in total
?

luoapp

13 missions. Some are quite time-consuming and require a lot of thought on how to approach them (last mission took me 3 hours).

I agree, it's sort of short if it's a full priced game. For a $40 game, its value is what I expected. Could've been a bit more though, something like the evasive targets in Hitman will be great.

Ive been playing for about 9 hours and up to the fifth stage.

I want to go back and do a lot of the challenges but there is no way I will ever get the speed running one. There is just no way.

This is about on par with me, I'm at 10 hours and at the end of the 4th mission, which is already very challenging. Maybe it's me, but this game can be pretty pretty hard at times.

Dascu

I agree it's sort of short.

I wouldn't say so. Commandos 2 had 10 missions (plus really short intermezzo's/gimmicks) and Commandos 3's campaign was pretty small as I remember.

The missions in this game are quite substantial and there's a ton of extra challenges for replay value.

I mean, personally, I got my money's worth.

Aaron D.

This is about on par with me, I'm at 10 hours and at the end of the 4th mission, which is already very challenging. Maybe it's me, but this game can be pretty pretty hard at times.

Yeah, I got stuck at the end of the 1st level in the demo. The guard patrols just eluded me.

Then I came back to it later in the day and figured out pretty quickly what I needed to be doing.

Game feels very puzzle-like in that way.

E-flux

I don't really like how the camera rotation works, it's sometimes super hard to find a good angle to view where i am going or a proper spot for the mouse to find the drop option.

I don't really like how the camera rotation works, it's sometimes super hard to find a good angle to view where i am going or a proper spot for the mouse to find the drop option.

How so? Q/E for 90º shifts, alt for gradual turning in the rare situations when it is needed pretty much covered all bases.

game does seem a bit finicky with allowing you to throw bodies from ledges tho, regardless of angle.

E-flux

How so? Q/E for 90º shifts, alt for gradual turning in the rare situations when it is needed pretty much covered all bases.

game does seem a bit finicky with allowing you to throw bodies from ledges tho, regardless of angle.

I completely forgot that you could free rotate the camera, i have been playing left handed and didn't bind the free turn anywhere and i had a bunch of trouble aiming the camera around ledges in the second mission and a few minor locations in the first mission. I need to remember to bind it as soon as i get home.

Aaron D.

Yeah, first thing I did was WASD that camera up. Put my Character selection to F1-F5, Abilities to 1-6. I believe I also mapped Use to X and Free Camera to L-Alt.

Game plays like a dream now.

The best part is, if you're playing the demo and unsure whether to buy, it saves your bindings/settings between play sessions.

Oh, and I flipped the audio dialogue to Japanese. So good.

luoapp

Yeah, first thing I did was WASD that camera up. Put my Character selection to F1-F5, Abilities to 1-6. I believe I also mapped Use to X and Free Camera to L-Alt.

The best part is, if you're playing the demo and unsure whether to buy, it saves your bindings/settings between play sessions.

I am just glad it has full controller support, a rarity in strategy game.

Sloane

Banned
I agree, it's sort of short if it's a full priced game. For a $40 game, its value is what I expected. Could've been a bit more though, something like the evasive targets in Hitman will be great.
It's about 25 hours minimum if you're quick without replaying any of the missions for badges, challenges, and whatnot. That's short?!

This game is brilliant, but I have some gripes, design wise. There's nothing inherently wrong with anything, just clashes with my own preferences.

I really would've loved the ability to play a single character with a sense of progression and arsenal customization (playing the way you prefer). The game presents itself as a stealth / tactics game, but I just feel like in reality, it ends up being a puzzle game, with each character bringing their own gimmick that's required to get through certain sections.

It reminds me of Aragami somewhat. Dressed up as a stealth-action game, but it's essentially a room clearing puzzle.

Aaron D.

I am just glad it has full controller support, a rarity in strategy game.

Agreed.

It's kind of cool that you can play it both ways...Point & Click navigation, or straight up controller-stick movement ala Diablo 3 (console ed.).

I really like the way it feels on k/m, but I'll have to remember to give the 'ol 360 pad a try at some point.

This is exactly how I would play, glad to hear your impressions.

Sloane

Banned
It reminds me of Aragami somewhat. Dressed up as a stealth-action game, but it's essentially a room clearing puzzle.
For me the closest comparison (Commandos and Desperados aside) would probably be Mark of the Ninja, which feels pretty similar despite looking like a very different game. And, yeah, it's absolutely a puzzle -- but, then again, isn't every "serious" stealth game to some degree?

luoapp

It's about 25 hours minimum if you're quick without replaying any of the missions for badges, challenges, and whatnot. That's short?!

Maybe you're right, I can see the values are definitely there. I was more from a "structural" perspective. The first 4 level are basically the introduction to the characters, ( which is where I am at now ). Then you have 8 levels plus a final. The ratio 4:9 is what makes me feel "short". I don't know, maybe compress the introduction levels to two? I was also comparing it to a full priced game, so, there is that.

Anyway, I may feel different when I finish the game. Can't wait.

Aaron D.

For me the closest comparison (Commandos and Desperados aside) would probably be Mark of the Ninja, which feels pretty similar despite looking like a very different game. And, yeah, it's absolutely a puzzle -- but, then again, isn't every "serious" stealth game to some degree?

Goddamn it, get out of my head! LOL.

True story: 5 or 10 minutes into the demo I thought, "This feels like Mark of the Ninja."

One of the major reasons I insta-bought it.

abstractify games enough and every game is a puzzle.

Yeah I've always thought of stealth games as a certain type of puzzle game. Good ones will have multiple solutions but it's usually about the planning more than the execution of it. Shadow Tactics is a pretty awesome balance where you have to plan a lot and scout a lot but it being in real time makes it so there is still the tense part where you have to do the thing.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
Had a lot of fun with the demo. In the full game, do the badges unlock anything or are they just for personal achievement? And how many levels are there? After the first level in the demo, it said I was on level 2/9, but there can't be 9 levels in the demo right...?

Had a lot of fun with the demo. In the full game, do the badges unlock anything or are they just for personal achievement? And how many levels are there? After the first level in the demo, it said I was on level 2/9, but there can't be 9 levels in the demo right...?

Their are 13 levels in the full game. This is just a guess but that 2/9 number you saw might have been the badge number on the first level, telling you that you completed 2 of the 9 badges. I haven't collected enough badges to confirm if they do anything, but so far their is no sign that they do anything other then mark off a personal achievement.

DrSlek

I've managed to do a total stealth run on mission...11, I think? The mission where
you have to kidnap Noburu's son
. I made my way to
the bathhouse
without killing or knocking out anybody, being spotted, and without using any disguise....but now I'm stuck.

I can find no way to
knock out the target
without being seen....and even if I could I can see no way of
getting him to the boat
safely either.

So I may be forced to start killing people.

Top Bottom