• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadowrun Returns |OT| Never, ever cut a deal with a dragon.

Ixion090

To be honest, I am not a huge fan of Shadowrun's mixture of cyberpunk and fantasy, but I have been itching for a cyberpunk video game and this looks pretty damn good.

Any recommendations for other cyberpunk video games out there? I've played Deus Ex: HR, which was fantastic, though I still need to play the original game.

Play the original SNES Shadowrun game then. It's amazing. Also get the original Deus Ex while you're at it.

Vespene

To be honest, I am not a huge fan of Shadowrun's mixture of cyberpunk and fantasy, but I have been itching for a cyberpunk video game and this looks pretty damn good.

Any recommendations for other cyberpunk video games out there? I've played Deus Ex: HR, which was fantastic, though I still need to play the original game.

Satellite Reign.

And Syndicate Wars.

Play the original Deus Ex, and System Shock 2.
The Genesis and SNES Shadowrun games are really good, and the SegaCD release is getting a fan translation.. though it seems like it will take some time.

adj_noun

Came into this thread expecting a sequel to the FPS version.

Very disappointed its an RPG or whatever.

LevP0b7.jpg

Miletius

Why would backers change their minds about how much to donate? As a backer, I'm still getting both as part of my pledge, and I'd much rather have one campaign available as soon as it's complete rather than wait for both to be finished before playing.

I really don't see the difference. Isn't DLC the definition of a product enhancement, albeit post-relase?

It's not just about getting the product for yourself, it's about backing a project which promised certain things for all players and ending up with a different result. Plus, shadiness, and all. Also, consider that since Berlin is DLC it will most likely not be integrated into the main story.

That being said I still kept my pledge because it was small and I still think they can deliver a meaningful experience, but I think people have a right to be upset about it.

Came into this thread expecting a sequel to the FPS version.

Very disappointed its an RPG or whatever.

I wish the Shadowrun name wasn't attached to the FPS version. It was like a big WTF when I found out it wasn't an RPG.

Having said that, the FPS version was a damn good shooter. One of the most balanced out there, and it was ridiculously fun in it's prime.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Never realised. I remembered playing the shooter a lot. Game was really fun. Was hoping for another.

Clearly Im very much alone in that lol....

The shooter is an awesome game. The license, if anything, hurt it, because people got so butthurt over it being used in a FPS and ignored the fact that it was being used in a really, really well-designed and fun FPS. It deserved a lot better.

Back to this game, though, I hope it turns out alright. I'm skeptical though...

Brimstone

my reputation is Shadowruined
Never realised. I remembered playing the shooter a lot. Game was really fun. Was hoping for another.

Clearly Im very much alone in that lol....

How about more Shadowrun games in general? RPGs, FPSs, or whatever. I've seen the Star Wars universe get shooters...RPGs...racers and even a dance game.

It's only the very first thing in the OP...

Images do not load when I'm at work. Half the forum doesn't load properly when I try to browse it when I'm on my lunch break. I just came home and saw the image in the OP. I skim threads when I can, and saw this pop up and missed the release date. Is there a problem with me asking? There have been delays in the past.

This Thursday, July 25.

Thank you, I appreciate the reply. I'm super excited for this game. I loved the one on the SNES. Wakin' up in a morgue then putting in work!

cj_iwakura

Images do not load when I'm at work. Half the forum doesn't load properly when I try to browse it when I'm on my lunch break. I just came home and saw the image in the OP. I skim threads when I can, and saw this pop up and missed the release date. Is there a problem with me asking? There have been delays in the past.

Not at all, but I typed it there as well. Just making sure people read it before asking.

~Kinggi~

Banned
This is gonna be sweet. My first backed game releasing. Hopefully its decent. Art style is very nice. I already have my steam placeholder for it.

cj_iwakura

I've only ever backed two: Shadowrun and Shadowgate. I pray the latter turns out as good as it's looked so far. Heck, arguably it's coming along even better, since there hasn't been any drama like the DRM stuff plaguing SR.

Sothpaw

Really hyped for this game even though the main campaign not as ambitious as Wasteland 2 or Project Eternity.

Still, it is really cool that they spent so much time on making an editor. Really, really happy they went with the Steam workshop. It makes keeping up to date with mods so easy. In the end, it may turn out to provide more gameplay hours than the big Kickstarter RPGs because of user created content.

Xater

Really hyped for this game even though the main campaign not as ambitious as Wasteland 2 or Project Eternity.

Still, it is really cool that they spent so much time on making an editor. Really, really happy they went with the Steam workshop. It makes keeping up to date with mods so easy. In the end, it may turn out to provide more gameplay hours than the big Kickstarter RPGs because of user created content.

That's what I am hoping as well. As long as they deliver a good groundwork this could end up having nice support like Neverwinter Nights back in the day.

So, I'm an early backer (like in the hundreds)...haven't bothered with Steam...but the Shadowrun site says I get both, right? Or am I misinterpreting something?

I see all these Steam Key messages from folks, but I'm wondering what's the plan for non-Steam backers. Does anyone know when should I expect my non-Steam (DRM-free?) version? I can't seem to find any clearly stated info on this. Will I get an email/download link through Kickstarter? I don't have a Shadowrun/Hairbrained account...my only method of contact/interaction on this project was through KS, and I'd like to keep it that way...

Anyone have any idea?

So, I'm an early backer (like in the hundreds)...haven't bothered with Steam...but the Shadowrun site says I get both, right? Or am I misinterpreting something?

I see all these Steam Key messages from folks, but I'm wondering what's the plan for non-Steam backers. Does anyone know when should I expect my non-Steam (DRM-free?) version? I can't seem to find any clearly stated info on this. Will I get an email/download link through Kickstarter? I don't have a Shadowrun/Hairbrained account...my only method of contact/interaction on this project was through KS, and I'd like to keep it that way...

Anyone have any idea?

Have you received no Kickstarter emails from Harebrained over the past month?

You should've gotten your Steam key via email last week. If not, you need to email them.

Also, you can only download the DRM-free version from their website. So, you'll need to create an account.

And, why would you "like to keep it that way" in terms of never wanting to directly interact with HBS?

adj_noun

You should've gotten your Steam key via email last week. If not, you need to email them.

Yup. In case anyone (who should be getting one) hasn't received their key yet:

If you haven't received your Steam key, please email us at info@hbs-studios.com with your full name, your Kickstarter email and the level that you backed at. (And then be a little patient, we're getting through the emails as quickly as we can.) Thanks!!

re: The DRM free version for backers:

On July 25, you can also download your DRM free version of the game -- which will available from the HBS Account web site: https://account.harebrained-schemes.com/.

Game was really fun. Was hoping for another. Clearly Im very much alone in that lol....

You're not alone. It was just an issue with the Shadowrun fanbase, considering well, it really wasn't Shadowrun. It ever so slightly borrowed and used characteristics from Shadowrun, but that was it. However, I'd LOVE to see a sequel. Especially if they could do more to it to make it feel and look more like a Shadowrun game, while using the same core gameplay elements.

That being said I'm excited for Shadowrun Returns.

Have you received no Kickstarter emails from Harebrained over the past month?

Also, you can only download the DRM-free version from their website. So, you'll need to create an account.

And, why would you "like to keep it that way" in terms of never wanting to directly interact with HBS?

First, thanks for the quick response, much appreciated...

I receive the KS updates, but have never gotten an email from HB before. And, no I haven't received any Steam key. I will contact them.

As for my online account shunning, after the recent Bioware/EA account hacks and Ubisoft hacks (both of which I had), I'm trying to limit my exposure to having upteen accounts that I have to manage/worry/remember cryptic passswords for...its a personal thing, nothing nefarious I assure you :)

As for my online account shunning, after the recent Bioware/EA account hacks and Ubisoft hacks (both of which I had), I'm trying to limit my exposure to having upteen accounts that I have to manage/worry/remember cryptic passswords for...its a personal thing, nothing nefarious I assure you :)

That's fair. There was just something about your original wording that threw me off, haha.

Also, thank you, adj_noun, for the assist!

Azih

Harebrained Schemes acted in bad faith
Assuming bad faith here is incredibly unreasonable.

Is it bad faith to be constrained by legal dealings with the giant corporation that actually owns the property? That's the point you're making. Microsoft required DRM and thus the game has DRM otherwise the game wouldn't be made at all. That Harebrained was able to negotiate an exemption for Kickstarter backers is to their CREDIT and not a mark against them at all.

And it's really unwarranted to shit on them for the Berlin situation as well. Game development is hard. Take a look at the Skullgirls thread on GAF in which actual developers detailed exactly why something that looks simple from the outside is actually incredibly difficult and takes a lot of time and effort (i.e money) to accomplish. This isn't bad faith either. In fact I'd much rather that Harebrained do the sane thing by keeping a clear eyed view of how the project is going and take the appropriate steps to ensure that they can keep operating and get the game done in time to generate cash flow before they run out of money. They're not monks working for free.

Honestly there was no guarantee at all that we would get ANYTHING out of our Kickstarter pledges. Big games from publishers crash and burn all the time as do games from self funded indies and many many more have features dropped and scope reduced before release. What makes anyone think that crowd-funded games would be any different? We have to be realistic here.

That they've finished the game and are releasing it is itself a major major accomplishment. That they're fulfilling all their reward promises to boot should be praised and not derided at all.

Gurvon

Neo Member
Oh man been waiting for this beauty since I backed it and soon it will be mine to play!
Really looking forward to listening to how the soundtrack turned out since I really liked both the snes and genesis soundtracks.
Got a feeling my main character will be a street samurai, gotta love wading into the fray and blasting fools

Top Bottom