• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadowrun Returns |OT| Never, ever cut a deal with a dragon.

DiscoJer

Got a key from Harebrained -- can I register it now with Steam? I keep getting that the registration server is unavailable. I guess it doesn't matter much since release is tomorrow, but still...

You should be able to, I registered mine when I got my key last week.

Maybe the server is just down? (Yay, DRM)

adj_noun

Brimstone

my reputation is Shadowruined
Nah that game could have been anything. Call that stuff something different and there is nothing uniquely Shadowrun about it. That game was a failure from inception. Most people who like Shadowrun did not want a MP shooter and MP shooter fans apparently didn't want it either.

The FPS was an offical MLG game. To get such a good high quality game should make a true Shadowrun happy. To think that Shadowrun should only be represented as a strick rpg is small minded. The general concept of J.R.R. Tolkien mixed with Neuromancer are there. Fantasy races, magic spells, cyber-technology are represented.. A manabolt spell wouldn't work...it is sort of like when a book gets made into a film...some changes need to be made.

I think it's great Shadowrun is selling on Steam. I'm guessing 5 year deal between Microsoft and Jordan Weisman hasn't been renewed? With 5th edition of Shadowrun rpg comming out and the sucess of the kickstarter the Shadowrun license has got to be more expensive.

Great news about the writing quality, that's fine by me. As an avid adventure gamer, I really think this will be the big appeal for me. The fucking art is beautiful as well. Can't WAIT to see what the community will do. I predict this game will live a long life full of fantastic mods.

~Kinggi~

Banned
With Gianna Sisters, Kentucky Route Zero and Chivalry they were already had a good record. For the record I have a soft spot for LSL even though it's a fairly mediocre game.

I didnt know Knetucky Route was a kickstarter.

Holy shit my mind is blown. Was funded in 2011 for 8503$ with 205 backers. What the hell. Did they get picked up by a pub or something?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I just realized this is coming out and I'm a bit interested.

I've been hearing it's somewhat short though?

Nobody who has played through it has spoken about the length. People are assuming a certain length based on the dev time, budget and studio history. They could very well be correct, but they are assumptions.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
It's probably fairly short if the narrative is 'well written.'

How many lengthy well written narratives exist in games?

T

TrueMenace

Unconfirmed Member
Why are people worried about the length of the developer's story Dead Man's Switch?

You do know there will be a lot campaigns on Steam Workshop that are much longer.

~Kinggi~

Banned
I honestly have such low standards for kickstarter projects i feel like 12 hours is an impressive length. There might come a day where we expect a lot from a KS game but im not feeling that. Ironically they might end up more exceptional because of the pressure to deliver to the fans that invested more than usual.

Zeliard

I'll take quality over quantity.

Ditto, and good pacing is a significant part of narrative quality. That's not to say a relatively lengthier game can't be well-written (Planescape: Torment), but that's comparatively more difficult to execute properly, and its rarity demonstrates that.

A shorter, leaner narrative is more likely not to suffer any unintentional lulls and misfires.

vinicius

Neo Member
from eurogamer's review:
Progression is achieved through karma, though points now seem to be awarded more in line with the actual Buddhist concept. In the early games, karma was handed out for kills and domination in battle. Now, you're more likely to gain upgrades by helping out your fellow lowlifes in the slums - retrieving blankets for the homeless, rescuing hapless young men from brutal torture, and so on.
This inevitably reduces your options when it comes to how you choose to present your character - there are colder, more ruthless dialogue options and you can skip optional objectives, but it's always clear that in doing so you miss out on useful stuff. Given the morally murky nature of Shadowrun's world, gently forcing the player to wear a white hat feels a little strange.

Whaaat. I hope the community campaings fair better in this aspect.

Nah that game could have been anything. Call that stuff something different and there is nothing uniquely Shadowrun about it. That game was a failure from inception. Most people who like Shadowrun did not want a MP shooter and MP shooter fans apparently didn't want it either.

No offense to you in particular. But this is the attitude that confounds me. It was a really awesome shooter, as as a Shadowrun AND FPS fan, it was exactly what I would have wanted.

That game is so severely unappreciated.

To get such a good high quality game should make a true Shadowrun happy.

Exactly. The game was shit on because of the genre. Nothing more. As a shooter it had some really great ideas, and they were actually pulled off well. It's a shame. It really, really needed more maps.

Coiote

Happy about the quality writing mention on Eurogamer's review. A good story is the most important thing in a RPG. Despite being good in the gameplay portion, a bad story can wreck any rpg.

Lime

Last Baron did some excellent Custom Steam icons for this game:

Shadowrun Returns

iT9DWatEhNXy8.png
iczqGSEK5C6BI.png
iz4yBns3VG1wJ.png

ib09fwcPJK3TEp.png
ibufzZpoD4xjnp.png

Top Bottom