• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shawn Layden: PSP ended up shifting 82.5M+

zedinen

jX1Zu80.jpg

Kacho

Damn that's a massive number. Loved my PSP. The battery on mine warped so I can't play Castlevania Dracula X anymore. :(

Yep psp was king, Even the vita was great, not sure why Sony gave up, now is the perfect time for vita 2, there is some really powerful mobile chips on the horizon, with ps plus, they could have a very exciting product.

Last edited:
Was amazing for 2005. It came out before the 360 and had graphics comparable to PS2(not on a large screen of course). Playing GTA on the go in a similar quality was awesome!

The games were crazy, I even had some UMD videos for long commutes :messenger_grinning_sweat: Feels like a continuation of the PS2 looking back now with a whole host of PS2 franchises getting fresh releases on it alongside some new PS3 series like Resistance & Motorstorm.

Unknown?

The games were crazy, I even had some UMD videos for long commutes :messenger_grinning_sweat: Feels like a continuation of the PS2 looking back now with a whole host of PS2 franchises getting fresh releases on it alongside some new PS3 series like Resistance & Motorstorm.
UMD videos were cool and when they released the Slim, I could hook it up to the TV and play it too. Ahead of its time.

El Muerto

My favorite handheld. I remember playing games on my projector using the video out feature. Homebrew scene was insane too.

Roberts

Probably my favourite Sony product. I had it a time when I travelled a lot and had a lot of free time and it was basically my main gaming machine for a year or two.

MadPanda

Banned
I remember reading about it and looking at pics on game mags at the time. I couldn't afford it but wanted it so much. I wish Sony made a new psp and not that portable thing.

Drew1440

PSP will forever be overshadowed and under-represented simply because the DS sold an absolutely ridiculous amount during the same time frame.

I think what is really crazy is that there was a time when there were a combined 230 million handheld gaming devices out there in a single generation.
I regret selling my PSPgo and Vita, softmodded those consoles were beasts. Hopefully with the Steam Deck and nextgen Switch we can see a revival of the handheld market.

Brigandier

What an amazing device this was, PSP2 needs to be a thing 😞

Playing Tekken RR Lumines Xenogears FF etc on the go and at work back then was so cool.

I never shared the same enthusiasm for the Vita after its first year.

Kokoloko85

If though some call PSP a “failure” ( Some say PS cant sell handhelds or Nintendo is the only one that can sell handhelds )
it sold more every Nintendo and Xbox machine not called Xbox 360, Gameboy, Nintendo DS, Nintendo Wii and Switch. Not bad for PSP

Buggy Loop

PSP ruled. Wish Sony made a new handheld rather than a VR headset.

Never understood how the perception is like a huge win for gameboy but PSP did AMAZING compared to any other previous competitors, and yet Sony dropped this awesome first iteration faster than a malformed baby still in the womb.

How did it go so bad for Vita?

PSYGN

Back when Sony continued innovating. That device felt ahead of its time, and when you hacked it to run all kinds of custom applications you basically got a taste of the future of apps as we know it today.

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

Incredible hardware, started my love for rhythm games (DJ Max Series). Played them like crazy. 2006-2010 was only PSP and World of Warcraft for me, nothing else.

Keihart

The portable fighting games machine so you and your homies could throw hands on the break without spilling real blood.
good times, good console.

And of course, the Monster Hunter machine so you could spend your time far from home grinding on a game instead engaging on whatever was going on

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Technically yes, but the 3DS competitor was the Vita, not the PSP.
And the Switch competitors was the PS4 and XBO
doesn't stop Nintendo fans throwing it's sales figures around in PS5 threads when the PS4 pass on the torch in the lead, we wasn't allowed to compare until it passed it's LTS after the generation was done and dusted.

Trilobit

PSP was the handheld I always craved, but couldn't motivate due to there being so few games I wanted. PSP and Vita were so much better looking than the DS consoles. I'm at least happy that we got the DS Lite, which was quite delicious, but still nothing compared to PSP.

Sony-PSP-1000-Body.jpg

Just look at that gorgeous thang! *drools*

Top Bottom