• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shawn Layden: PSP ended up shifting 82.5M+

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
I think I ended up buying three of them. Launch, the second one that I think was silver and a third, but maybe I never did get that third one. I know I at least bought two.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
What a console! Deffo owned a day one OG and then got the slim. Amazing little thing. Still have my day one 3G Vita but wish I had my PSP

RayBoy

I have two
A 2000 and a Street.

Awesome handeld with an awesome catalog.

-Outrun 2006
-Virtua Tennis 3
-Peace Walker
-TWO Wipeout Games
-TWO God of War Games
-TWO Ace Combat Games
-TWO GTA Games
-Patapon Saga
-LocoRoco Saga
-Medievil
-Syphon Filter
-Soul Calibur
-Tekken
-Killzone
-Darkstalkers
-Resistance
------
------
------
------

Awesome console.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Competition is too heavy for a Sony handheld.

Times are different now than when the Vita came out. Switch is massively popular and Switch 2 could very well be even bigger. Sony would get a bunch of ports of 3rd party stuff that would make it desirable without their first party lifting a finger. Stuff like Octopath and Disgaea are just better suited for handhelds IMO. Then you sprinkle in a few first party games a year. This kind of seems to be their strategy with PSVR2. Most of the PSVR2 games are Quest 2 ports.

SpiceRacz

I have fond memories of playing Lumines for hours. Put on some headphones and you could find yourself in a trance with that game.

I bought my PSP off Craigslist after work on the Friday after launch. The dude rolled up on a motorcycle and opened a backpack with like 3 or 4 PSPs (in box). It was probably stolen, but I only paid $100 for it. No regrets.

Gojiira

This and the Vita really were the best handhelds with CFW, fuck if they just supported Vita better we could have had Vita 2 by now 😩

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I'm honestly a little stunned that it sold that well. I thought the number would've been a lot lower.

The PSP was a system I wanted to like a lot more than I actually did. The hardware was amazing when it launched (godawful d-pad notwithstanding), but the games tried too hard to be console quality and suffered from the controls. Honestly, I think the PSP cemented my feelings about not liking portable gaming more than anything else.

Sony last officially reported 76.4 million for PSP at the end of FY7. It sold an extra 500k in it's final 3 fiscal years then, i had it at 82 million and will have to make some minor adjustments.

RanqTPz.png

EDIT: Made adjustments, remarkably PSP is the second best selling handheld "only" console if you don't consider the Gameboy original and Gameboy Color as the same console.

4i2RPl6.png

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
You had a classic PS1 emulator without the piracy. The Sony as we know today, wants to do what Nintendo is doing and shove what you use to buy onto a paywall. It’s not going to be the biggest thing in tech, but it’s a middle finger to people who know what they bought back then versus what they’re selling now.

If they can give me access to Wild Arms 2 on PS5 because they see that I bought the game years ago. Why can’t they just let it all be BC?

Edgelord79

Gold Member
Hardware was great but I seem to recall the software attach rate was terrible due to piracy and home brew. Especially towards the end.
Having a ps1.5 in your hands was unreal.
Piracy most likely removed all of Sony’s desire to support handhelds.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Liked the PSP despite NDS having more games.

I dunno but it felt like the PSP games translated well more in the future compared to the NDS games. Like it's easier to see PSP ports to HD than say... the NDS games.

sinnergy

PSP was a great handheld . Ridge racer and wipeout games were amazing . You had Megaman Remakes, god of war games, it was a great machine .

Last edited:

Davevil

The stock PSP was a wonderful portable system, but the hacked PSP was a masterpiece that is still unsurpassed today

It's hard to believe that the PSP outsold the SNES and Jaguar combined.

What a beast

LOL

Ok prolly a joke post. But incase not, the Jaguar sold like 150,000 units. 😆

Very odd thing to bring up if trying to paint something in a positive light.

A better point of comparison and something more flattering toward PSP would be to say that its sales matched and slightly outsold the GBA. Which is indeed a huge milestone.

Last edited:
Reactions: TLZ
Sony had a great thing going with the PSP and then they shot both feet off with the Vita. Sigh.

Well, maybe if the Portal ends up being successful enough, Sony will get the bright idea of releasing a handheld console again someday. Preferably with a normal storage format for once.

phant0m

Peak Sony. That said, a Vita with CFW is incredible today for playing your PSP backups today. They make Vita cart -> SD Card adapters too.

Plus dat OLED.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Not checking, but wonder how many posts in this thread before someone takes this as a sign that "Sony should totally do a new dedicated handheld".

Ozzie666

Not checking, but wonder how many posts in this thread before someone takes this as a sign that "Sony should totally do a new dedicated handheld".

That ship has sailed, they messed up with handhelds (Vita) as much as Microsoft messed up with the xbone, key to the digital library and ecosystem chains.
Much as I'd love Sony to try again.

Unknown?

I still don't get how they not only screwed Vita at launch with its pricing and proprietary memory cards, but doubled down on it and left it for dead two years later.
What do you mean pricing? $250 was praised when announced because everyone thought $300 or more. It also was the same price as the weaker 3DS. Nintendo had to take a big hit to drop the price.

Proprietary memory cards sucked but they did standard on PSP and people used those to hack it.

Havoc2049

Great system. I still have mine and all the games and movies I bought for it. My most played games were actually Phantasy Star Portable and Phantasy Star Portable 2.

Dane

What do you mean pricing? $250 was praised when announced because everyone thought $300 or more. It also was the same price as the weaker 3DS. Nintendo had to take a big hit to drop the price.

Proprietary memory cards sucked but they did standard on PSP and people used those to hack it.
What I remember back then is that people didn't like the price, it was just a less worse reception than 3DS in that regard, but Nintendo then slashed to 170$ six months later because sales were tepid.

And PSP even with all the piracy day zero it sold 82 million units, the issue with piracy while easier, it that also ran games better on Memory Stick than on the UMD which Sony was betting to be a huge format outside of games. The 3DS could use SD cards and came packed with a 2GB one.

Last edited:

Bluecondor

I actually still use my PSP, every day this week when I go to Panera or Dunkin to grade papers for an hour or two. It plays .MP3 files, so I still like it as an MP3 player.

I bought mine in 2005. It hasn't been able to play game/movie "disks" for many years, but it still works.

Back when Sony continued innovating. That device felt ahead of its time, and when you hacked it to run all kinds of custom applications you basically got a taste of the future of apps as we know it today.
PS5 has quite a lot of stuff that the others don't do (the SSD was ahead of its time in 2020, haptics, triggers, VR2, etc) i really don't get the criticism here.

That said, PSP was probably my favorite MP3 player. It was not just a console for me. That thing could play anything kinda like the PS3.

Unpopular opinion but as i grow older, i realize my favorite Playstation period was between 2004 and 2008. PSP and PS3 was a great combo and it was Sony at its most adventurous.

CamHostage

I mean, just put the PSP back out there, as a "PlayStation Legacy Player".

A device for PSP and PS1 games. Put a modern screen on it for clarity and battery life. Perhaps even modify it and put the Vita chipset or a current mobile chip into a PSP-type shell (but go back to XMB interface) plus stick on a second nub and a back button on there (ideally with a different analog sensor powering the nub/stick) so that it looks like a PSP but can do more when needed. Most importantly, put the library back on PSN. Sell classic games on a classic device. Don't get too fancy with much new, just put the games back on the market.

I'd get that. It makes more sense to get that then the frustrating, incomplete, half-measure portable concept they have going with PlayStation Portal.

TVexperto

I just crammed out my old PSP...last savegame 2008. How time flies, it still an incredible machine. Cant wait to replay GTA Vice City Stories... I just wish I can fix the stick drift somehow

I will never forget when I got this as a christmas gift from my dad(it was used and bought on ebay by him) ... i was so astounded by how such a small device could produce such "graphics" (today they are laughable but back then it felt unreal).

Last edited:
Top Bottom