• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shenmue 3 - TGS Trailer

lachesis

Received an email from Kickstarter regarding Shenmue 3 new trailer - mostly environment demo, in different towns.

Also Japanese voice acting from previous trailer was added:

Looks like it's coming along pretty well - far beyond I was expecting to be perfectly honest, but after Mighty Number 9, my expectation was pretty low, only to be pleasantly surprised by Blodstained - can't wait for the trial later this month!

Kazza

It's looking really good. The environments have looked gorgeous in all trailers, but the characters are looking better and better now too. The lip-sync seems better in the Japanese version.

Here is an overview of the game, via Deep Silver:
About
Shenmue changed the face of video games. The series, considered to be the father of free-roaming, open-world RPGs, returns to the fore this year with the release of Shenmue III.
Shenmue III resumes the epic storyline started by master storyteller Yu Suzuki more than 20 years ago. Suzuki, a pioneer of open-world games and immersive experiences, is set to add a bold new chapter to the sweeping tale of young martial artist Ryo Hazuki.
Soon, players will be able to resume Hazuki’s breathtaking journey.

What is Shenmue III?
Shenmue III brings to life an exciting, living-and-breathing world, one filled with thrilling locales to explore, puzzles to solve, and enemies to thwart. Players take the role of Ryo Hazuki in a story-driven and revenge-fueled adventure with a cast of incredible characters. Powered by innovative and skill-adaptable Free Battle and Special Skill systems, Shenmue III is the sequel fans have been waiting for.
Players will find Shenmue III a deeply personal experience, with rich landscapes and towns brimming with action. Shenmue III is not to be “played,” but rather “lived.” Days in Shenmue III are spent exploring, talking with unique characters, and taking part in exciting activities throughout the world. As Ryo, players grow and master their kung-fu power by training and gaining new skills, enabling them to face off against fearsome enemies.
Each game of Shenmue III, as with each person’s life, will be a unique adventure.

Who is Shenmue III for?
Shenmue III isn’t just for fans of the series. It’s for everyone.
Yu Suzuki’s newest adventure blends elements from beat-’em-ups, simulations, and RPGs, but is designed for people of all levels of skill and experience. The immersive world of Shenmue III will appeal to everyone who loves a good story, great characters, and beautiful environments.

What if I haven’t played Shenmue and Shenmue II?
Don’t worry! Shenmue III includes a special “recap digest” movie created by Yu Suzuki that retells Ryo Hazuki’s story from the beginning. Players can also speak to non-player characters they encounter to learn all about the events of the first two Shenmue games.

Key Features
  • Epic Story from the Mind of Yu Suzuki – Yu Suzuki has created some of the best video games ever made, including Space Harrier, Daytona USA, and Virtua Fighter. Now, he returns to write and direct the third installment in the beloved Shenmue series. In Shenmue III, players can expect a rich, deeply enthralling story and an unparalleled journey across China.
  • Realistic and Compelling Characters – The Shenmue series has been known for its inimitable characters, and Shenmue III continues this tradition. Players exploring Shenmue III’s vibrant world will find it populated with all manner of villagers, shopkeepers, villains, and heroes.
  • Battle SystemShenmue III offers a dramatic and challenging Battle System, one where players can upgrade Ryo Hazuki’s move set in order to defeat the toughest foes.
  • Beautiful LandscapesShenmue III lets players explore a gorgeous, charm-laden, and danger-filled China. From festive towns to dark and dank enemy lairs, Shenmue III provides players with a wealth of vistas to immerse themselves in.

Esppiral

Every time someone says this looks like a ps360 game a kitten dies.

Seriously, the environments are among the most detailed this generation, I'll say more, going by the insane detail of some of the shots seen in the video I foresee the game running like crap on PS4, and people will complain about lazy Devs instead of realising how complex the environments are, mark my words.

Last edited:

Seriously, the environments are among the most detailed this generation, I'll say more, going by the insane detail of some of the shots seen in the video I foresee the game running like crap on PS4, and people will complain about lazy Devs instead of realising how complex the environments are, mark my words.
Shenmue 3 is looking better with each new preview, which is a good sign that it will be a great installment for the franchise. It wont win new fans and it shouldn't, in my opinion.

Kazza

It seems like the game was pretty much finished around August but they wanted 3 months extra polishing time, so I expect a decent framerate, although 30 fps is prabably the best we can expect)

Shenmue 3 is looking better with each new preview, which is a good sign that it will be a great installment for the franchise. It wont win new fans and it shouldn't, in my opinion.

While the first priority is to please the hardcore kickstarter backers, I think it can still attract new fans. For example, people who like story based games, people who like fighting/martial arts games (it did start life as the Virtua Fighter RPG after all), new Yakuza fans (although I think the two series are very different), people who want to try something different. However, they need to release a trailer directly marketed at these potential fans (explaining the story etc).

Esppiral

It seems like the game was pretty much finished around August but they wanted 3 months extra polishing time, so I expect a decent framerate, although 30 fps is prabably the best we can expect)

While the first priority is to please the hardcore kickstarter backers, I think it can still attract new fans. For example, people who like story based games, people who like fighting/martial arts games (it did start life as the Virtua Fighter RPG after all), new Yakuza fans (although I think the two series are very different), people who want to try something different. However, they need to release a trailer directly marketed at these potential fans (explaining the story etc).

I thought I read somewhere that it will include a recap.

Don't feed them.

Last edited:

Kazza

I thought I read somewhere that it will include a recap.

Don't feed them.

Oh, I know they are going to include a recap with the game, but I think they should do a story trailer to attract newcomers enough to buy the game in the first place. A lot of people will be put off jumping into a story based game at game number 3. I know there are the HD ports of 1 and 2, but some people are put off by older games (I personally think they both play really well, and I didn't play Shenmue during the Dreamcast era). I'm actually really looking forward to see what they do with the recap. It would be amazing if they were to recreate scenes from the old game using the current engine.

Listen to Espirral, don't feed the obvious troll (which anyone who comes into a Shenmue thread and says it looks horrible is pretty much doing at this point). Game looks amazing, especially for a kickstarter.

kunonabi

Animations look way better than the previous versions. Faces are still terrible but I'll live I guess. I hate them retconning Shen Hua's dress too but nobody else seems to care.

Enjay

Banned
Derp Silver said:
Who is Shenmue III for?
Shenmue III isn’t just for fans of the series. It’s for everyone.
Yu Suzuki’s newest adventure blends elements from beat-’em-ups, simulations, and RPGs, but is designed for people of all levels of skill and experience. The immersive world of Shenmue III will appeal to everyone who loves a good story, great characters, and beautiful environments.
Games designed with this intention always end up being beloved by all in some other timeline.

LMJ

Looks absolutely gorgeous, and honestly far better graphically than I was expecting. I play a Shenmue game for atmosphere and writing, and it looks like I'll be getting more than I asked for which in my opinion is fantastic.

This and Yakuza are distinctly Japanese and I hope they never change :D

Top Bottom