• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV |OT| The Dark Souls of Persona

Protag

Banned
Uhhh i just started my third playthrough and i cannot select expert mode because it doesnt even show up in the difficulty settings?

Whats goin on?

Protag

Banned
You can only select it if you're doing of of the two NG+ options I believe.

I did, i selected one of them - keep level and acquired armors intact, still dont have the option. Only the three still. lvl 70 Flynn. I dont know what i did wrong but im not playing again on master so soon. ill try for neutral another time.

Shiina

I did, i selected one of them - keep level and acquired armors intact, still dont have the option. Only the three still. lvl 70 Flynn. I dont know what i did wrong but im not playing again on master so soon. ill try for neutral another time.

Oh. I think master is expert.

Jyester

Any advice for someone who's new to the series? I think I'm doing alright after five hours (just finished
Kicchigiorgi
and now back in Naraku
's fourth stratum.

My build focuses on dexterity, agility and luck, which I thought would be fun. Attacks like critical wave prove very effective. Should I put points towards strength and magic, rather than the other three?

As for fusions, when should and shouldn't I? I have to admit I'm mostly basing them on appearance so far.

Any other tips to maximize my enjoyment of the game?

Any advice for someone who's new to the series? I think I'm doing alright after five hours (just finished
Kicchigiorgi
and now back in Naraku
's fourth stratum.

My build focuses on dexterity, agility and luck, which I thought would be fun. Attacks like critical wave prove very effective. Should I put points towards strength and magic, rather than the other three?

Hell no. You're doing it right.
You want to specialize in Phys or Mag, so don't start putting anything into Mag. Str should be ignored in this game in favour of Dex, because the calculation between them for Phys skills is weird and biased towards Dex.

As for fusions, when should and shouldn't I? I have to admit I'm mostly basing them on appearance so far.

Any other tips to maximize my enjoyment of the game?

Fuse whenever a demon doesn't seem as useful anymore or when you've gotten all the skills you want off it, and aim to build a team with elemental coverage (including Phys/Gun), healing, and buffs/debuffs. Watch what they're weak to and cover those with skills when you can. It's not as hard as it sounds; fusion in this game is fairly forgiving, just make sure you reregister demons in the Compendium before you fuse them off, so you have the most up-to-date version in your records.

As for other tips, buffs/debuffs are your best friend in SMT, and following the MP Recovery app path pays off hugely. Oh yeah, and keeping an angel in your party can be pretty useful for much of the game.

And post your impressions as you play, yeah? ;)

I'm on my fifth play through right now; first time trying a Phys build in this game. I always play SMT as a magic nuke with the sole exception of Nocturne, so it feels weird.

Jyester

Thanks a lot! Yeah, I feel my approach is paying off for the most part. I finished the
fifth
level of Naraku and beat the boss there. However, I am currently at the next boss,
Medusa
, and feel a little frustrated. I beat her once, but only my demons were alive so I missed out on the XP. This happens a lot and can sometimes not be avoided once a boss unleashes a flurry of attacks. Maybe my demons will get a revive spell sooner or later, but so far it is very frustrating to have my avatar die without being able to bring him back. Don't suppose there's anything to remedy that?

As for other impressions:
- I still really like it, although the story seems a little wonky. I mean, they invented cyber bracelets,
but somehow skipped gunpowder?
I'll try not to think too much about it.
- I like the fact that there's voice acting, even though it's not very good.
- Sorta sad there is no animation at all. Feels really low budget.

At this point, I'm hoping the story really picks up. I feel that I've come to a point that it has to, considering where I'm at now. What comes next will probably influence my enjoyment of the game quite a bit.

I really need that MP recovery app. Only ten more points.

NeonZ

As for other impressions:
- I still really like it, although the story seems a little wonky. I mean, they invented cyber bracelets,
but somehow skipped gunpowder?
I'll try not to think too much about it.

There's a reason for that...

Jyester

Finally beat
Medusa
while keeping my main guy alive. Ended up spamming her with force attacks, hoping I wouldn't get one-shotted. The new location seems pretty cool, although the overworld feels a little strange. Beat a strong demon with relative ease to unlock a terminal and got 2000+ XP, while the previous boss battle netted me only 500. I ain't complaining.

I only just got to level 15. Is that low?

There's a reason for that...

Good, that's what I was hoping for :) Thanks for not giving away too much.

So I finally played it yesterday, it has been sitting on my N3DS for some time after I bought it on sale.

I love Persona games, and have several mainline SMT games like Raidou Kuzunoha vs. The Soulless Army, SMT III Nocturne and Devil Survivor, but I never played them for more than an hour.

I'm 3h30min in, still in Naraku
just completed the "Save the shi-Navarre" quest
and I really enjoy it. It's not that difficult, even if I died a few times (often by being slaughtered by demons that I could've killed easily !). Know your buffs/debuffs/preess turn system and it'll be fine.
Choosing your own stat growth is cool, same as Burroughs. Saving everywhere is great too, and the game has a few anti-frustration features such as reviving thanks to play coins.
No "Exiting dungeon" item (à la Goho-M) is a little frustrating though, I was spoiled by that kind of fast-travel feature.

I didn't like a few things though :
- The Mikado map is a little underwhelming.
- No exploration outside of dungeons.
- I expected 3D models from the demons, not sprites, ah well.
- The whole order/chaos thing and its choices are quite dichotomial.

The whole negociation with demons is funny. Except with this fucker :
cNFfoXc.png

I get it's supposed to be a trickster, but after twenty failed negociations, I don't want it anymore. I just accepted a quest to kill 5 of them, I'm going to exterminate 5 times that.

So I just encountered
the black samurai in the forest

Question :
does the previous game, Strange Journey, has any link to this one ? Should I play it before I continue SMT IV ?

cj_iwakura

Thanks !

Is it me or is the game getting rather easy once
you reach Tokyo ?
Also I just got
the whole black samurai attire, so classy

Heh, everyone feels that way. It's probably the easiest core SMT game ever, and that's saying something considering how broken I and II are.

cj_iwakura

Great translated interview with SMTIV's director, Yamai Kazuyuki(a vet of Raidou Kuzunoha, SJ, and I think Nocturne?)

http://dijeh.tumblr.com/post/117968513898/ive-seen-quotes-from-this-interview-with-the

Shin Megami Tensei IV is the first numbered title since the PS2 game Shin Megami Tensei III. First of all, please tell us about the details of its inception.
Seeing how this is the first numbered title in a decade, it’s a work bearing the fans’ big expectations, but the details of its inception are not particularly dramatic…

So blunt, all of a sudden! (laughs) No, no, there must have been something.
Oh, right, that time we went to India…well, it would be nice if I said something like that, wouldn’t it? (laughs) Putting it bluntly, it was something along the lines of ‘It’s about time we made Shin Megami Tensei’.
Before that, I had worked on Devil Summoner: Kuzunoha Raidou and had helped with Shin Megami Tensei STRANGE JOURNEY. Once those games were over, Kaneko and I had a talk and decided the time for Shin Megami Tensei IV was approaching, especially since players had been waiting for it. That’s how the project started moving.

Players have definitely been waiting for a new numbered title for a long time. The other series are interesting too, obviously, but it feels like mainline has a different weight to it.
I am grateful that there are a lot of fans who said the same thing.

Do you feel that numbered titles get a different reaction from fans?
Yes. Numerous fans reacted to it. There were also anxious voices among them…

The expectations and uneasiness brought by a mainline title. I understand it too, looking at it from the point of view of the fans.
The character designer this time is Doi and the story takes place in both the land of eastern Mikado and in Tokyo, so it obviously looks different from the previous entries. I think these parts are what made people uneasy.

I see. Speaking of which, what did you prioritise - ‘innovation’ or ‘tradition’? In Shin Megami Tensei terms, it would probably be like choosing between Law and Chaos. (laughs)
For me it was ‘innovation’. Better yet, I would say that ‘innovation is the tradition’ sounds more accurate.

How would you explain this?
Not only Shin Megami Tensei, but also Persona and Devil Summoner are series we, the staff, design by thinking we want to do something new. Not doing something that had been done before, but something more interesting. We constantly aim for innovation.

I understand. Aiming for innovation itself has become a tradition.
You are right. Take series like Kamen Rider or Super Sentai for example: they are loved by all generations, and while they do respect tradition, they are also flexible enough to change their contents and themes in response to their times. They’re firm in maintaining some constant traditions, but there are also modernised parts. That is why I think they have been able to last for 30, 40 years.
In Shin Megami Tensei’s case, the unchangeable theme is ‘an adventure in a world that changed abruptly one day’. Nevertheless, I do not think that present Tokyo as its main setting is essential.

That is why this time, along Tokyo, the country of eastern Mikado has also made its debut.
Yes, but the themes we wanted to write about were also unchanged. We approached things like various daily problems or the worries everyone has and cleverly used the tendencies that arise in such moments. There have been a lot of changes, but the basis is the same. I believe that is what we call “Megaten”.

Since I mentioned appearances, the interface has changed a lot this time. It has become really stylish.

That is something we changed because of the current trends, not because we consciously wanted it to be stylish. More specifically, this game’s interface hints at smartphones and tablets. We figured that if COMPS existed nowadays, they’d be more of the touchscreen type.

I see.

I think that in Shin Megami Tensei and Shin Megami Tensei II, the COMPS were commanded through a DOS style program because those were the trends of that time.

(Particularly of interest, on SMT going portable)

Were there any difficulties brought by the definitive decision to release the numbered title on a portable device?

We never actually felt that consoles are essential to numbered titles, especially since RPG-type games where you train your character are fit for portables.
In Megaten’s case, for example, you can try fusing your demons and go to sleep if you’re satisfied, or simply play a bit more if you want to test their strength. You can always turn it on right away and then snap it shut and put it into sleep mode. You can enjoy the games freely on portables, so I decided this together with Kaneko from the earliest stages of development.

Well, I do believe the fans are worried that moving a series developed on consoles to portables will equal with a scaling down…

I understand. However, there are parts which involved more effort than console games do and I am certain they will be pleased with the scenario length.

I would like to ask a question about the world setting next. This time two contrasting, even opposite worlds make their appearance, the country of eastern Mikado and Tokyo. Can you give us some simple explanations about each world?
I mentioned a little about it earlier, but the original draft was received from Kaneko. As you can see, Mikado is a place in the style of medieval Europe. A world with a stronghold city, with the castle at its center, similar to Can Tho.

Can Tho…sounds like you’re hiding something. (laughs)
It is a very peaceful country, yet it has the castle in its middle and a fortified city…why? Kaneko gave us this interesting idea - fortified cities are usually meant to protect the people from outside invasions, right?

Right. They are built to protect from outside enemies.
But the stronghold in Mikado is made to defend against enemies that come from the inside. In order to protect the country, there is also an organisation, the group of the Samurai. What and where are they fighting? Pay attention to this part.

I see, you will find out the truth by playing the game!
I think seeing as few spoilers as possible will make the surprise that comes while playing the game bigger. If I may add a small explanation though, there are next to no conflicts in Mikado. The people who live in this country are divided into the management class, the Luxuries, and the working class, the Casualities[sic], with the former controlling the latter. There are very few conflicts.

If you were to think about it, it would not be strange for people to start questioning the fact that they are treated differently based on their origins…
There is a reason for that in this medieval type of world: basically, the Luxuries don’t give the Casualities the necessary information. They won’t ask questions if they don’t notice anything. It is what we call ‘information control’.

They are being controlled in the true sense of the word.
Yes. Also, the symbol of the Luxuries is the ‘monastery’. Mikado is a monarchy, ruled by the king Ahazuya Mikado. In truth, the king is nothing but a figurehead, while the politics are actually managed by the Church. This was modelled after the bureaucracy system of Japanese politics.
This is nothing but my personal opinion, but Japan too would continue to work with no problems even if the Prime Minister or the Diet members changed and this could be due to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, the so-called bureaucracy. The country of eastern Mikado functions on a similar system.

Tokyo, on the other hand…
Unfortunately, I cannot say much at this stage. The situation is completely different from Mikado and demons are roaming everywhere. The people lead their lives in fear of those demons.

There is a serious contrast with the country of eastern Mikado.
There is a group there named Asura, which has a certain deal with the demons - as long as people live in the underground shopping center, they will not be attacked. The core of the story holds the answer to the contents of this deal and the reason demons are running rampant in Tokyo in the first place.

I see.
By the way, Tokyo may be full of mysteries, but as the stage of the adventure it is actually quite wide. The players who see it for the first time will definitely be surprised.

I was rather surprised indeed. By the way, another thing that surprised me were the landscapes; they looked so realistic! Did you visit the actual locations?
Of course, we visited quite a lot of them. The staff in charge with the design took a considerable number of photos. Shibuya also appears in the game, but work on the redevelopment of the train station is about to start in the real location. I’m relieved we managed to do it before construction work began.

The whole interview is worth reading, of course.

Pachimari

I just picked this up on sale on the eShop. It is super cheap currently.

It also happent to be my first Shin Megami Tensei game and I love it so far, but I'm only like 1 hour in still. Just started the final training exercise.

The only other one I have played was Persona 4 Golden which I still haven't completed but absolutely loves.

I see SMTIV is more mature in its themes and some differences I am getting used to. I like the voice work so far too.

PS: I know absolutely nothing of this game going in, other than the start up until the first boss is supposed to be the hardest part of the game.

It took me a while since I bought it over a month ago in the last sale but I finally finished SMTIV. Well, that was an ending alright. Really enjoyed the game overall.

I
PS: I know absolutely nothing of this game going in, other than the start up until the first boss is supposed to be the hardest part of the game.
Even then, when you played Persona before, you'll do fine imho.

So I am before a choice, I need help :
So I must chose to go with Jonhathan or Walter.
Thing is, I was neutral before, but chose the left door each time in the trial of Ethics.
I chose to go with Walter because Jonathan pisses me off.

Now when I ask the cynical man he says I am "hot-blooded" whereas before I was "hard to grasp of".

Now my question : are there more law/chaos questions down the line or am I locked in the chaos storyline ? (you guessed it, I'd rather be neutral).

It is a pity that the choices are so dichotomical in the game. It would've been better to have more nuance.

So I am before a choice, I need help :
So I must chose to go with Jonhathan or Walter.
Thing is, I was neutral before, but chose the left door each time in the trial of Ethics.
I chose to go with Walter because Jonathan pisses me off.

Now when I ask the cynical man he says I am "hot-blooded" whereas before I was "hard to grasp of".

Now my question : are there more law/chaos questions down the line or am I locked in the chaos storyline ? (you guessed it, I'd rather be neutral).

It is a pity that the choices are so dichotomical in the game. It would've been better to have more nuance.

Just about every choice nets you an alignment point. I'd try to answer them mostly Lawfully from now on. There's the final big one and an optional one
with the suicidal woman in Ikebukuro. Telling her you're a human nets you Law points.

Answering both of those with Law can net you +20, to offset the major choices you listed, which you earned -10 for each.

Good luck!

I have a question about the Ace Bazooka for the Dex build. Everybody says it's the best gun for a Dex build, but for example, #1 bazooka isn't better? It has more damage and the only difference is the minimum hits (1 vs 2 for the ace)

Soulhouf

I have a question about the Ace Bazooka for the Dex build. Everybody says it's the best gun for a Dex build, but for example, #1 bazooka isn't better? It has more damage and the only difference is the minimum hits (1 vs 2 for the ace)

For a dex build Ace Bazooka is unmatched because it has a 2/3 chance to do 3 or 4 hits and in the worse case scenario it hits twice, unlike #1 bazooka that has 1/2 chance to hit once or twice, which is pretty high and can be irritating at times.
Not to mention that with more hits, you have a higher chance to land a critical, which is very important.
I like the consistency of the Ace Bazooka.

For a dex build Ace Bazooka is unmatched because it has a 2/3 chance to do 3 or 4 hits and in the worse case scenario it hits twice, unlike #1 bazooka that has 1/2 chance to hit once or twice, which is pretty high and can be irritating at times.
Not to mention that with more hits, you have a higher chance to land a critical, which is very important.
I like the consistency of the Ace Bazooka.

ok thanks!

edit: I just
finished the quest with the candle
I was wondering, how far I'm from the end?

Sorry for the bump but I really need help xD
I'm at the final boss on the Law path, but I'm having difficulties.
I've read online some guides and they suggest spells like luster candy and salvation, problem is that my actual team kinda sucks and the mido doesn't suggest me demons to fuse. I'm level 71, dex build. I don't know what to do !

Nimby

Banned
You should have all those skills this late in the game.

Mahamayuri has Salvation, he's a special fusion.
I think Sleipnir is the first who learns Luster Candy.
Alice has Debilitate, also a special fusion.
Life Surge and Mana Surge increase HP and MP pools by a LOT
Doping increases your HP for the match, good for boss battles. Thoth learns this very early.

If you think you are unable to progress you should probably find some new demons, as that's likely your problem.

EDIT: Has anyone attempted an SMTI style run? MC can only attack and shoot. I thought about it for my next playthrough.

You should have all those skills this late in the game.

Mahamayuri has Salvation, he's a special fusion.
I think Sleipnir is the first who learns Luster Candy.
Alice has Debilitate, also a special fusion.
Life Surge and Mana Surge increase HP and MP pools by a LOT
Doping increases your HP for the match, good for boss battles. Thoth learns this very early.

If you think you are unable to progress you should probably find some new demons, as that's likely your problem.

EDIT: Has anyone attempted an SMTI style run? MC can only attack and shoot. I thought about it for my next playthrough.
Yes, I think I'm a little short on demons, I can't fuse Mahamayuri since I don't have the demon needed. Is there a guide or something to see what demons I need and where to find them?

Nimby

Banned
Thanks

edit: I don't know if I'll be able to do this xD For example Alice needs 4 demons, and 1 needs 2 demons (and one of these needs another 2), and the other needs 3 (and at least one that needs 2 more). It seems really time-consuming at this point xD

If you need some Macca, you can fundraise (it's an app) some demons in Tennozu. You can get there by taking a passage in Roppongi (the Shibuya region) and following a highway.

Inflicting bind on enemies then using fundraise on them nets a lot of macca. Also sell off all the healing things you don't use. And it probably wouldn't hurt to raise your level more. I think I was level 80 my first time fighting the Law boss.

If you need some Macca, you can fundraise (it's an app) some demons in Tennozu. You can get there by taking a passage in Roppongi (the Shibuya region) and following a highway.

Inflicting bind on enemies then using fundraise on them nets a lot of macca. Also sell off all the healing things you don't use. And it probably wouldn't hurt to raise your level more. I think I was level 80 my first time fighting the Law boss.

Macca to summon the demons instead of "catching" them you mean?

NeonZ

Actually, I think the best way to get Macca by end game is to just run around in Ginza's restricted areas and other late game areas (like the two shelters that only open up after you return to Tokyo) collecting relics. I guess it could be a problem if you haven't opened up Ginza's areas though.

Macca to summon the demons instead of "catching" them you mean?

Yes. If you didn't get used to saving and summoning them to get better fusions I guess it could explain why your team feels weak.

Actually, I think the best way to get Macca by end game is to just run around in Ginza's restricted areas and other late game areas (like the two shelters that only open up after you return to Tokyo) collecting relics. I guess it could be a problem if you haven't opened up Ginza's areas though.

Yes. If you didn't get used to saving and summoning them to get better fusions I guess it could explain why your team feels weak.

I've never used the save function for demons xDDD

squadr0n

How do I check what alignment im currently at? Im attempting to go for the neutral route but im not sure where my current alignment is at.

NeonZ

How do I check what alignment im currently at? Im attempting to go for the neutral route but im not sure where my current alignment is at.

SMTIV? Talk with the cynical man in any hunter association. It only works if you haven't gone to the reactor yet though. After that point, you need to keep track of it by yourself.

I'm about 3-4 hours into SMT IV and really having fun, even though it's really easy to die. My luck with negotiation is really bad; I manage to make the demon angry 90% of the time. I also miscalculate how close an enemy is and swing my sword too early/too late 90% of the time.

Quick question: Right now I'm most probably going to pick the choices that I want and see what route/ending I get based on them, but I wanted to ask, are any routes particularly harder than others?

Also, if anyone wants to share any tips for a beginner, by all means.

I'm about 3-4 hours into SMT IV and really having fun, even though it's really easy to die. My luck with negotiation is really bad; I manage to make the demon angry 90% of the time. I also miscalculate how close an enemy is and swing my sword too early/too late 90% of the time.

Quick question: Right now I'm most probably going to pick the choices that I want and see what route/ending I get based on them, but I wanted to ask, are any routes particularly harder than others?

Also, if anyone wants to share any tips for a beginner, by all means.

Nothing particularly harder, just some endings are longer so they'll have more fights and whatnot. The beginning of the game is the hardest part regardless.

Tips for a beginner; pick either a Mag or Phys build and stick with it, and if you choose Phys, dump your offensive points into Dex and ignore the Str stat. (And of course still put some into Ag and Lu).

Also buffs and debuffs are your best friend in SMT.

Nothing particularly harder, just some endings are longer so they'll have more fights and whatnot. The beginning of the game is the hardest part regardless.

Tips for a beginner; pick either a Mag or Phys build and stick with it, and if you choose Phys, dump your offensive points into Dex and ignore the Str stat. (And of course still put some into Ag and Lu).

Also buffs and debuffs are your best friend in SMT.

Got it, thanks!

Another question, related to the advice... I usually put stats in evenly in these games, would that be okay too? I don't want the game to be frustratingly hard, but I don't want to break it on my first playthrough either. Also, if I decided to do a Mag build, should I completely ignore Str and Dex? Same with Mag if I pick Phys build?

Got it, thanks!

Another question, related to the advice... I usually put stats in evenly in these games, would that be okay too? I don't want the game to be frustratingly hard, but I don't want to break it on my first playthrough either. Also, if I decided to do a Mag build, should I completely ignore Str and Dex? Same with Mag if I pick Phys build?

Even stats aren't the best but it can be workable.

If you pick a phys or mag build you stick with those stat types. You only have so many skills.

Got it, thanks!

Balanced builds tend to be less viable in SMT in general. I know that trying a balanced build in Devil Survivor Overclocked, for example, makes that game way harder than it needs to be, but I've never tried it in IV. You'll probably cripple yourself out of the superbosses with a mixed build, at least.

Whichever build you pick should completely ignore the other, yes. When I play a Mag build I end up with a Mag stat of like 200+ and Str and Dex at like 7 or whatever the default is, lol. I have a Phys file now where Mag is similarly abysmal and Dex is 200+. No problems advancing either way.

I guess I'll go with a Mag build from now on and give my points to mag, agi, and lu then. Sounds like a safer bet than what I'm doing now. Thanks you two!

Sooo after watching all the hype for SMTxFE and SMT IV Final, I decided to buy the game! :D The only spoiler I know of is that
Navarre is gonna die at some point since he's a ghost in Final.
. So excited to begin this!

Impressions:

-Awww, I feel bad for Isacchar, especially since he’s supposed to be my best friend.
-Awkward to see Navarre lol
-So all three of us had the same dream huh?
-All right, time for some gameplay…. Really liking the battle system and interface so far. -Omg this is the Demon Negotiation I always heard about! Welcome to the party Centaur!
-Oh my god I SUCK at this lol no demon joins me and I get killed everytime.
-Sweet, demon fusion! Hi old man virtual head!
-Great. Navarre is missing.
-I have a bad feeling about this… nevermind, he’s totally that hooded guy, dick.
-Walter is supposed to be like the “bad” route for this game right? Hmm.
-Alraune huh? I remember you from Persona!
-Heh, so Navarre survived along with Yuri Lowenthal.
-Quest for the breakfast…. Aww I feel so bad for Issachar, especially since MC can’t talk and we don’t know about their backstory that much. Oh noes, don’t tell me he was the one who set up the fire as a gift/surprise?! Asdfghjkl he became evil D:
-Shut up Walter, he’s my best friend an- nope he just died ;( Grrr how come everyone is so calm and normal after killing a dude?!
-Ares too OP
-Maaaaan I really loved that boss fight with the Minotaur. It made fuse demons based in magic who could get Bufu, level up, rethink strategies and use all of my debuffs/buffs on him while defeating him finally in about less than 5 minutes :D.
-Hmm that’s Kanji as Walter and Marie as Isabeau right? I kinda feel bad that also no one cared about the Minotaur.
-Wow so they don’t know what guns are? Interesting.
-Yaaay I wasn’t expecting this game to have checkpoints for dungeons, the Cerebro terminal is ready for action!
-Stephen just enabled StreetPass for me, too bad I probably won’t cross with someone with the game where I live.
-I got a Camazots by drunking him LOL
-They also don’t know what an elevator is?
-Who was that Yamasa that Medusa mentioned?
-The Unclean Ones’ country looks awesome. Wait so this is supposed to be Tokyo?! What’s up with the map now? I guess this where the game really begins heh?
-What’s up with the demons of the race Food? Hahaha.

-So the mystic script is Japanese, gotcha. Finally got all the elemental skills and Resist Fire for my Ultimate Jack Frost >:D! Wait wait wait wait NOOOOOOOO OF ALL THE FUSIONS WHERE FUSION ACCIDENT COULD HAPPEN IT HAPPENED IN THIS?! Goddamit Apis D:
Grrr, you don’t know how much I got through to fuse a Jack Frost with all the skills I wanted lol
-Oh my god poor Isabeau who got robbed LOL I don’t even have that much money!
-Wooo I managed to defeat the dragon of Lake Mikado but still can’t defeat Ares xD

Hi all,

I have a question about SMTIV. Is there a way to go from
Internal Tokyo
to
regular Tokyo
? I want to do DLC quests in order to get some exp and money, because I have to defeat Kenji. Thanks!

Hi all,

I have a question about SMTIV. Is there a way to go from
Internal Tokyo
to
regular Tokyo
? I want to do DLC quests in order to get some exp and money, because I have to defeat
Kenji
. Thanks!

Not before
Kenji
. Maybe after that depending on your alignment.

He's a tough boss, one of the ones I had to prepare for. And even then, the attacks he has that punish you when he's low on health or you start spamming reflective magic are pretty harsh. I think I made an Alice for this fight, that helped some.

You might be right! Though it's been awhile since I've played the game, and there's not an easy way to rewind to that particular segment.

I know that part of the game has some side quests of its own. It might be possible to tackle the DLC quests from there, too.

Alice is immune to the Poison/Panic/Sleep/Bind/Sick status ailments, and you can get skills like Healing Knowhow through fusion to use healing items. She can give your party a little extra breathing room.

There are probably other good demons for that battle, I don't think the AI in that one battle punishes you for reflecting magic and physical as harshly as later bosses do. You can bait him to use attacks that are absorbed with reflection magic and use Alice to keep your party going through the fight.

Top Bottom