• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey The Official Thread of Minion and Demonica

spiritfox

You can get demon sources again, but it has a very rare drop rate (less than 10% IIRC). You are better off trying to get the skills in from another demon source.

Yaweee

I'm at the last boss of the Chaos path.

Is what I'm reading true? The boss' Requiem attack (full-party instant death) has a chance to go through even if you have Null Expel, Null Curse, and Tetraja active? And all of the armor that covers the Curse stat leaves me weak to Lightning, which means I'd get one-shot by the boss' other skills.

It doesn't help that I picked the wrong choice during the Fafnir quest and got a worthless sword instead of a spectacularly awesome Ring or Armor that helps tremendously on the fight.

I found a cheap solo leveling trick in the last dungeon. Armor Vest and the Stone Gun (or something like that, it's weak as hell but has Rock Shot), alone, in H7F, Sanctuary B. Rock Shot is completely broken and has a 80% instant kill shot against pretty much everything except bosses, fiends, and things NU to guns, while Armor Vest makes you resistance to almost everything that matters (sans Elec, which is why you don't solo grind where there are Elec enemies). From 67~80, it is four fights per level, and only 3~4 turns per fight. After that, soloing Trumpeters with Enemy Search is good for another level per kill.

botticus

Hoping someone can give me some help with this ex-mission in Fornax.
Alice clearly has more HP than her summon counterpart, but does anyone know how much? I got her for about 1000 before I was insta-killed, just trying to figure out if I have a shot or if I should give up while I'm not annoyed.

Yaweee said:
Is what I'm reading true? The boss' Requiem attack (full-party instant death) has a chance to go through even if you have Null Expel, Null Curse, and Tetraja active? And all of the armor that covers the Curse stat leaves me weak to Lightning, which means I'd get one-shot by the boss' other skills.

yes, it's true - &, after several tries, it's why i just passed on it. hope you're luckier than me:) ...

Lard

Banned
icarus-daedelus said:
Holy mother of God Eridanus was ridiculous. I am at Grus now, stuck on the stupid boss here. Is it bad that Chaos
kill all humans... must kill all humans...
is my alignment?

Well you're in for a tough fight with (big spoiler)
Commander Gore
ahead.

I finally got out of Sector E. God damn at that maze. And I also had problems with
Ouroboros.
It took forever but I finally took that bastard down. Onto Sector F.

Aselith

Just finished the game today with neutral alignment. Man, what a great game! I really enjoyed it and am already going for a second helping. I managed the last fight with a single scouting death. In case anyone is interested, here is my
Mem Aleph
killing crew:

Form 1:

Lady Xi Wangmu Lvl 79-

Skills:
Invitation
Fleeting Rain
Repel Gun
Mediarahan
Tetrakarn
Resist Phys

Awesome healer and a classy lady.

Password:
dMFww$ogA0mr3Rnq
biEBLdoga636C6$F

Dragon Huang Long Lvl 79-

Skills:
Megidolaon
Victory Cry
Retaliate
Phys Amp
Occult Flash
Madness Crush

Badass fighter AND magic user. Great all arounder with awesome resistances.

Password:
8#DzY9NqGyrnSCij
p8c3HQUnraA$taMN

Kishin Thor Lvl 77-

Skills
Elec Amp
Life Surge
Debilitate
Maziodyne
Void Mind
Madness Crush

The Thunder God himself. Huge lifepool and absolutely devastating damage.

Password:
JTe+#euFiEo04X4H
LxXYPM#k3bwOMexi

Form 2:

I only switched one guy which was Thor subbed for Hachiman

Deity Hachiman lvl 77-

Skills:
Maziodyne
Judgement
Tetrakarn
Life Surge
Megidolaon
Void Mind

High damage caster with solid resistances.

Password:
z0eiHDaJB49qcOyh
dq+8jK5A5WP3cPaG

Basically, the strategy was to queue up Mediarahan at the beginning of every round thus negating the huge damage that happened. Then I would Madness Crush with Thor and Huang Long which did extreme damage (typically 600 to 800 or more per round together.) The main character defended every round except when he dished out the mana items (I believe I used 3 Great Chakra and 2 Chakara Pots for the full battle.) When the form changed, the boss was reflecting physical damage so I switch to Hachiman and did Megidolaon with Huang and Hachi for the rest of the fight until he became vulnerable to physical for whatever reason and I moved Thor back in.

Yaweee said:
I'm at the last boss of the Chaos path.

I think my strategy from Neutral path would work for you. Doing defend causes your weaknesses to be negated thus you wouldn't be vulnerable to lightning on your main character. With that, you can wear curse resistant armor and still be free of the worry about lightning weakness.

Hyunkel6

Doublethink said:
I finally got out of Sector E. God damn at that maze. And I also had problems with
Ouroboros.
It took forever but I finally took that bastard down.
Onto Sector F.
What was your strategy? I can barely offset her regeneration. Main char is using fire along with another demon, 1 demon is buffing and another healing.

Hyunkel6 said:
What was your strategy? I can barely offset her regeneration. Main char is using fire along with another demon, 1 demon is buffing and another healing.
I had two demons using Agi and Agilao respectively to trigger demon co-op, while my main character ran items and threw the occasional heavy damage elemental attack, and the last demon was the cure-meister. It was a real war of attrition, but I wouldn't say it was especially difficult as opposed to a bit lengthy.

Hyunkel6 said:
I honestly think I just lucked out since she barely used her big attacks.

Otherwise, try to make sure your entire party has physical resistance. I also had three members of my party with a fire skill and the last one was either lowering Ouroboros's defense or raising the party's agility. I found that Bead Chains were essential.

When i beat the boss earlier on Neutral path:

Put aside any demons weak to elec. Get some wind elemental (+gun for MC) & buff/debuff spells. Demons that reflect physical/electric attacks are a bonus
. Nothing too specific outside that, as i managed to beat her on the 2nd attempt.

If you haven't already, grab a Vivian from Sector E (either on SW Level 1/2 or TOP). Level it up to grab its source, which includes Luster Candy (Atk/Def/Agl buff).

Lard

Banned
I'm playing on the Chaos path.

She's the last boss and she has repeatedly killed me with her motherfucking cheap ass Requiem spell.

I'm seriously fucking tired of dying right at the end.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Xater said:
I think I have reached my limit with this game. I loved the beginning and now I am bruned out. When a cool dungeon RPG turns into a mapping game I lose interest. I guess I am really no longer into dungeon crawling.
Same. I'm in Sector E and I'm getting very close to saying "fuck this game" when I loved it at first.

Also I'm somehow still on neutral, though I somehow assumed I would end up lawful pretty quickly when I started.

Yaweee

Finally beat the Chaos Path. The last boss wasn't that bad with full +3/-3 buffs/debuffs, appropriate demons, Dragon Ring/Armor, and being level 84. I still think it is really, really dumb how the Requiem attack is handled, essentially requiring you to keep full buffs and get lucky.

Overall, the game is one of the best SMT games to make it to the US, easily up there with Nocturne, P4, and Devil Survivor. But I really like dungeon crawlers in general.

Manaka

Beat the neutral path last week (level 73) - the last fight was a pain (considering my low level).
Had to come up with a real defensive strategy depending on luck which really only worked well that one time (probably died around 25 times )

Reading some comments how the game turns tedious towards the end I was pleasantly surprised how much I actually enjoyed the endgame.

I've gained access to
Sector H
, and I think I'm finally over my worst fusion logjam all game. For whatever reason, my active roster of 12 demons couldn't fuse into much of anything useful from level 55 to 61. I wasn't in dire straits - my core lineup's effectiveness was one of the reasons I was unwilling to take bad fusion deals just to get things moving again - but I was frustrated thinking about how many demons I must have been missing in that range. Now I can relax, fuse away, and recruit a whole new sector's worth of ingredients.

Is it bad that the only medal I've earned is the beginner's?

demonkaze

Still at the end of Eridanus, although I haven't played it in a while. I loved this game at the start but this sector has really killed my enjoyment of the game, please tell me it gets better again after this place.

Also, any tips on beating the last boss of this sector, the second form.

Shinjitsu

Banned
Amazon just delivered this lovely game to me today, about 5 hours in now. Can't stop playing, this is really my first dive into a SMT game and I'm absolutely hooked.

If I'm loving the demon fusing and dungeon crawling in this, should I pick up Persona 1 on psn and Devil Survivor for DS? Any other recommendations would be great(keep in mind all I have with me are my PSP Go, DS and my laptop for gaming, consoles are in the US and its going to be a while tell I ship them here)

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Beat the game yesterday, main character at Lv99, Law ending.

Fantastic, awesome game, but man did I not like the Law path. Damn my "Always play as Law on first playthrough" rule. I should have played as Neutral.

Echoes

Is this remotely close to Persona PSP?

I just played an hour of it and, my god I hated it. AWFUL music, and pretty much a basic battle system that didn't grab my attention at all.

Is this (and Devil Survivor) much different than Persona?

Aeana

Shinjitsu said:
Amazon just delivered this lovely game to me today, about 5 hours in now. Can't stop playing, this is really my first dive into a SMT game and I'm absolutely hooked.

If I'm loving the demon fusing and dungeon crawling in this, should I pick up Persona 1 on psn and Devil Survivor for DS? Any other recommendations would be great(keep in mind all I have with me are my PSP Go, DS and my laptop for gaming, consoles are in the US and its going to be a while tell I ship them here)
Both games are absolutely worth playing, though they are also different from Strange Journey in various ways (Devil Survivor, especially, being a strategy RPG, so no dungeon crawling). The fusion (and skill crack system) in Devil Survivor is especially awesome, though.

Echoes said:
Is this remotely close to Persona PSP?

I just played an hour of it and, my god I hated it. AWFUL music, and pretty much a basic battle system that didn't grab my attention at all.

Is this (and Devil Survivor) much different than Persona?

Well, SJ is a first-person dungeon crawler like Persona PSP. The music is a completely different style, though, and the battle system is quite different as well. It's fairly basic still, but not in the same ways. I would say that it's different enough from Persona PSP that you should still give it a shot, unless the first-person dungeons were a real turn-off. As for Devil Survivor, it's very different, being a strategy RPG.

mollipen

Echoes said:

Wait. Wait wait. If you can't get down with Persona, that I can totally understand. The game can be kind of rough when compared to today's RPGs, and if you didn't play and appreciate it back in its time, you might have serious trouble appreciating it now.

But saying the music is awful?!? I just... WAT.

Shinjitsu

Banned
Aeana said:
Both games are absolutely worth playing, though they are also different from Strange Journey in various ways (Devil Survivor, especially, being a strategy RPG, so no dungeon crawling). The fusion (and skill crack system) in Devil Survivor is especially awesome, though.

Well, SJ is a first-person dungeon crawler like Persona PSP. The music is a completely different style, though, and the battle system is quite different as well. It's fairly basic still, but not in the same ways. I would say that it's different enough from Persona PSP that you should still give it a shot, unless the first-person dungeons were a real turn-off. As for Devil Survivor, it's very different, being a strategy RPG.

Awesome, both games sound like they will be quite enjoyable, I kinda feel a bit dumb for not playing these games earlier now. It's been quite a while since I've sunk my teeth into a good JRP, I kinda forgot how good they can actually be.

Dresden

Shinjitsu said:
Awesome, both games sound like they will be quite enjoyable, I kinda feel a bit dumb for not playing these games earlier now. It's been quite a while since I've sunk my teeth into a good JRP, I kinda forgot how good they can actually be.
Be sure to grab Persona 3 Portable for your PSP in Summer. :p

Echoes

shidoshi said:
Wait. Wait wait. If you can't get down with Persona, that I can totally understand. The game can be kind of rough when compared to today's RPGs, and if you didn't play and appreciate it back in its time, you might have serious trouble appreciating it now.

But saying the music is awful?!? I just... WAT.
I hate J-pop with a burning passion. I listened to about 22 tracks from the OST on my way to work, and nothing was remotely interesting. It just... sucked.

Same reason why I quit P3 & 4.

Shinjitsu

Banned
Echoes said:
I hate J-pop with a burning passion. I listened to about 22 tracks from the OST on my way to work, and nothing was remotely interesting. It just... sucked.

Same reason why I quit P3 & 4.

After hearing countless hours of K-pop, J-pop no longer bothers me in the least, so I guess im set for these games.:lol

Echoes

Dresden said:
Whoa there.
A game's soundtrack is crucial to my gaming experience. Of course, we all love good music, but for example I wouldn't play Mega Man 2 if it was on mute, and that's one of my favorite games ever.

Tried several times, but I can't take the annoying songs more than 3 to 4 hours. The worst I have ever listened to.

Aeana

Echoes said:
A game's soundtrack is crucial to my gaming experience. Of course, we all love good music, but for example I wouldn't play Mega Man 2 if it was on mute, and that's one of my favorite games ever.

Tried several times, but I can't take the annoying songs more than 3 to 4 hours. The worst I have ever listened to.
Well, Strange Journey's music sounds like this, so nothing like the newer Persona games.

Shinjitsu

Banned
Wow, In love with actually having to use items and shit as I dig deeper into these dungeons.

Might sound stupid, but a game like this kinda feels like the "survival horror" of rpgs for me, minus the horror.=P

Cep

Banned
Shinjitsu said:
Wow, In love with actually having to use items and shit as I dig deeper into these dungeons.

Might sound stupid, but a game like this kinda feels like the "survival horror" of rpgs for me, minus the horror.=P

Good dungeon crawlers usually feel this way.

mollipen

viewtifulsub said:
Compared to the original soundtrack, it was.

I played the original Persona with the original music plenty back in the day. Both soundtracks are great.

It's also a serious shame when you let music keep you from playing excellent games.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Just started the game. Now I'm worried after reading about the alignment system. Heard one play through of the game takes 80-99 hours.

Being nice in the game and the actual entity of Law in SMT feel like two exact different things :lol

RoboManus

Neo Member
I finished my first play through, it was 51 hours or so.

I loved this game, the difficulty, the music, and how it just throws you in there and lets you do your own thing. It's definitely one of my best RPG experiences this year. I wanted more so I bought SMT Nocturne!

This is my first SMT game and daaaamn it kicks my butt. I just beat Mitra with a lot of luck I would say. I'm not really sure what I'm doing but it got me so far. I just go around and fuse demons up to highest levels I can. Haven't used any demons sources (no idea why am afraid I'll use them on something worthless)

Echoes

charlequin said:
notsureifserious.jpg
I'm serious. It's so good and as one of the commenters said "it's like an epic boss battle". Really liking it.

I know the Persona series has such great tracks here and there, but I can't handle J-pop at all (which is there, a lot). I don't hate the series; I bought P3 and P4 because I thought they were good games and I want to like them. Maybe they weren't for me (or I didn't give them a chance because my job sorta suck with console games), but the art-style is so freaking awesome. The presentation as well; Persona PSP has such a great-looking feel to it in the menu and when you level up.

Hyunkel6

Stuck on
Oroboros 2nd form
in sector E. I thought it would be easy this time around since she does not regenerate anymore, but she has that cheap special move (wave of death or something) that's killing 1-2 of my demons in 1 shot.

Himuro said:
Oh demon negotiation how I've missed you.

I start a battle...

*demon approaches in a formal manner*

Demon: Hey human! You gotta get me out of here, I don't belong in this place.

*the demon eyes you with eagerness*

> Become my demon
> Get outta here

I choose "become my demon"

Demon: Hahahha! Fell for it, you stupid human!

*demon attacks!*

Mi amor <3

I had an Apsaras asking me if she could use me to destress, and then she hurt me until I was left with 1HP, and then she said she was feeling better already, and then she left the battle.

I had another female demon ask me to come closer so I could smell her perfume, and when I did I got hurt, and then she remarked 'oh, I forgot it's poison to humans.'

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Just got to the second area of the game. Man this reminds me so much of the main SMT series, my ass got owned how many times trying to start out in the second level. Playing FFXIII with the restart option at the end of each battle and then playing this is completely different :lol

Feels good though when you start beating enemies that were giving you a hard time. I could barely beat each of the mosaic'd demons. The whole alignment system is confusing me though.

I'm assuming that each area of the game
are places that show the actions humans are taking that will lead to the world being destroyed. There was a battlefield battlefield (War), Red Light District (lust / debauchery), I believe a Mall shows up later (Greed and Materialism).

Ourobolus

Banned
I need to get back to finishing this game. Almost done with Eridanus, but then got sidetracked by a few other games. I'll play this one on the go, and then Nocturne when I'm stuck at home. :lol

Akainu

Question. Is it actually possible to reacquire a already used demon source? The text in the game makes it sound like it just hard to do so or you might get some technology to make them later. But I keeping reading it completely impossible.

Yaweee

Akainu said:
Question. Is it actually possible to reacquire a already used demon source? The text in the game makes it sound like it just hard to do so or you might get some technology to make them later. But I keeping reading it completely impossible.

Initial information from JP players was wrong. It is definitely possible through the same method as usual, just with a greatly reduced % change of earning one.

Shinjitsu

Banned
Akainu said:

From gamefaqs, seems to be pretty accurate in my experience:

"The formula for demon sources is 2(current level - base level). So say you have a level 3 Okiku Mushi. You are about to level it up to 10. Now the difference here is 7 levels. That means that when you level it up again, it has a 14% chance of getting a demon source. 2 x (10-3)"

SmZA

I'm currently being frustrated/annoyed by Delphinus. Not so much the invisible passages, but the animation you're forced through every damn time you enter one.

I like the sub-apps that allow me to reduce the encounter rate; sometimes I just want to get through the dungeon without a battle starting every five seconds.

Does anyone else think the alignment/battle system is a critical design flaw in this game? It sounds good on paper: make sure all your demons are on the same side and you get extra damage. Thing is, you get so much advantage doing this that you'd be stupid NOT to do it, so you end up wanting only a third of the demons available. Right now my demon portfolio is nearly full but fusing them will only give me blue or red results; no white to match my MC.

I'm in the unusual position of playing SMT:SJ and Nocturne for the first time, at the same time. I like a lot of things about SJ, such as the story, the setting, the music and (especially) the portability. Overall, however, Nocturne wins.

Top Bottom