• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei V launches in 2021 on Nintendo Switch

Zephir

Worldwide release? Something not even the mega hyped persona 5 did? Something tells me Nintendo stepped in personally... Or Atlus really did change but I doubt it...

Anyway, can't wait to make everybody bow to my ABSOLUTE NEUTRALITY!

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
How does SMT compares to Persona, structurally speaking?

Is it a half social sim/half dungeon crawler but with a more mature tweak?

Or something else
Well for one Demons are your party members, not powers like in Persona and there is no daily life, SMT is all about dungeon crawling.

Hudo

Gold Member
Worldwide release? Something not even the mega hyped persona 5 did? Something tells me Nintendo stepped in personally... Or Atlus really did change but I doubt it...

Anyway, can't wait to make everybody bow to my ABSOLUTE NEUTRALITY!
Well, I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo is helping out with the translation (or maybe Sega?). I guess we will now for sure when the credits roll.

Bardiche

Shin Megami Tensei V is actually coming with a 2021 simultaneous worldwide release along with a HD Remaster of Nocturne, which is not only the best JRPG but the best game ever released! It is a great time to be a Shin Megami Tensei fan!

Last edited:

Danjin44

Shin Megami Tensei V is actually coming with a 2021 simultaneous worldwide release along with a HD Remaster of Nocturne, which is not only the best JRPG but the best ever game released! It is a great time to be a Shin Megami Tensei fan!
Now Nintendo gamers don't have to complain about not getting Persona 5, because as much as I love Persona series, SMT games are just much better games, especially if you love Demons fusion, dungeon crawling and press turn combat system.

Last edited:

Danjin44

More like "Featuring Joker from the Persona 5 series* because if they can still milk that cow, they will
FkrpdSx.png

DAYUMMM

SMT III: NOCTURNE HD AND SMTV?!?

I think I'll keep my Switch now. Was getting bored with it and thought about giving to my little brother. Nope!

Danjin44

Never played SMT but I love Persona. The sooner SMT V releases, the sooner we hear about Persona 6 :messenger_savoring:
If you enjoyed the combat system and demon fusion in Persona series, I guarantee you will enjoy SMT series. I enjoyed Persona series a lot but in my opinion SMT series are much better games.

ZZZZ

Holy shit, simultaneous release? I'm probably dreaming, going to wake up in a few hours.

My god , i love Atlus.

PS4G coming to PC, SMT5 simultaneous release worldwide, this is a new era for Atlus.

How does SMT compares to Persona, structurally speaking?

Is it a half social sim/half dungeon crawler but with a more mature tweak?

Or something else

From what I played, Persona is pretty tame on themes and uses the Monsters as a secondary thing rather than the main thing.

SMT tends to touch on multiple endings based on moral choices, is quite a Hard game unless you play it on Easy Mode, and you have to really use Typing via looking at each weakness/strength. Persona kind of gave away the weaknesses.

Both games are very similar but the approaches to both games are very different. SMT (at least the portable ones), feel a bit more budget like than Persona (at least to the 5th game). SMT4A's sprites don't really move much.

I would say if you like Persona, then you should enjoy SMT but temper your expectations if you don't like the difficulty or the production values.

I would say Persona is Scooby Doo, and SMT is Scream (the films).

I actually like Devil Survivor 2 as it is very Tactical Based.

Last edited:

ZZZZ

From what I played, Persona is pretty tame on themes and uses the Monsters as a secondary thing rather than the main thing.

SMT tends to touch on multiple endings based on moral choices, is quite a Hard game unless you play it on Easy Mode, and you have to really use Typing via looking at each weakness/strength. Persona kind of gave away the weaknesses.

Both games are very similar but the approaches to both games are very different. SMT (at least the portable ones), feel a bit more budget like than Persona (at least to the 5th game). SMT4A's sprites don't really move much.

I would say if you like Persona, then you should enjoy SMT but temper your expectations if you don't like the difficulty or the production values.

I would say Persona is Scooby Doo, and SMT is Scream (the films).

I actually like Devil Survivor 2 as it is very Tactical Based.
Devil Survivor 2 is pretty good, even though it's a long game and i got tired by the end of it.

Chromata

If you enjoyed the combat system and demon fusion in Persona series, I guarantee you will enjoy SMT series. I enjoyed Persona series a lot but in my opinion SMT series are much better games.

The only thing that makes me apprehensive is that SMT looks more like a pure dungeon crawler. I love Persona because of the characters, story, art style, and mix of daily life with dungeon gameplay.

I would still like to try it because I know many people love SMT and I probably just don't know enough about it.

ZZZZ

The only thing that makes me apprehensive is that SMT looks more like a pure dungeon crawler. I love Persona because of the characters, story, art style, and mix of daily life with dungeon gameplay.

I would still like to try it because I know many people love SMT and I probably just don't know enough about it.
Yeah, SMT is more dungeon crawler, the story is pretty fuckin great though.

JTCx

Yes SMT games are more hardcore traditional rpg dungeon crawl games and usually on the more diificult side. Theres more stuff to play with in demon fusions and having different builds in their systems.

The stories are great with multiple endings but the themes are a lot darker. Theres no quirky cast of characters or slice of life stuff. Very moody games.

Chromata

Yes SMT games are more hardcore traditional rpg dungeon crawl games and usually on the more diificult side. Theres more stuff to play with in demon fusions and having different builds in their systems.

The stories are great with multiple endings but the themes are a lot darker. Theres no quirky cast of characters or slice of life stuff. Very moody games.

That does sound interesting. I might pick up the remaster then since it'll probably be cheaper and see how SMT is. If I end up liking it, I'll have SMT V to play right after :messenger_smiling:

Shouta

Digital Devil Saga or Strange Journey would be more up your alley if you're looking for more story focused games with the old-school SMT formula. Even SMT4 and SMT4: Apocalypse are good choices as well. SMT3 was kind of the last of the SMT games that really had the classic formula and had a minimalist story overall. There's a lot more going on with other titles in story and characters that might be a stronger hook.

SMTV will likely be along the lines of SMT4 and SMT4 Apocalypse so it might be a good choice when it hits but for now the ones I mentioned above are really good go tos.

Last edited:

Manji Uzuki

This is great! I always wanted to get into the series after playing Persona and Digital Devil Saga. I never saw coming a port of Nocturne

JTCx

That does sound interesting. I might pick up the remaster then since it'll probably be cheaper and see how SMT is. If I end up liking it, I'll have SMT V to play right after :messenger_smiling:
Hope you like random battles. Those will come at you in spades.

zelhawks37

The final game that was revealed at the Switch presentation event has revealed itself after so long. I expect to put in many hours/playthroughs in 5 and can't wait. Collecting demons and fusing them was such a delight in 4 and Apocolypse, but unfortunately it wasn't so great in Nocturne because you couldn't select the skills you wanted to after fusing demons, so hopefully they change it so you can in the remaster/remake.

A side note, but the music in the trailer gave off Apocolyse's OST vibes. Loved it.

GamerEDM

Banned
is this game franchise really good? Or is this one of those super niche titles? Im kinda new to nintendo but i enjoyed fire emblem for example.

JTCx

The final game that was revealed at the Switch presentation event has revealed itself after so long. I expect to put in many hours/playthroughs in 5 and can't wait. Collecting demons and fusing them was such a delight in 4 and Apocolypse, but unfortunately it wasn't so great in Nocturne because you couldn't select the skills you wanted to after fusing demons, so hopefully they change it so you can in the remaster/remake.

A side note, but the music in the trailer gave off Apocolyse's OST vibes. Loved it.
You can still have a degree of control of what skills you want in a demon in Nocturne. It all depends on the type/family the demons are in. There's the sacrificial fusion during the full moon you can also take advantage of. Also storing important/powerful abilities into Magatama's to transfer into compatible demons. Its still pretty robust.

Last edited:
is this game franchise really good? Or is this one of those super niche titles? Im kinda new to nintendo but i enjoyed fire emblem for example.
It used to be niche, the last six years or so it's gotten a lot more attention partially because of SMT IV and Persona and people shilling Nocturne. It's not a Nintendo IP but SMT has history with Nintendo. The game is the original Pokemon but it's difficult and has a dark apocalyptic setting.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.

They are good but you gotta have patience. Tons and tons and tons of random battles. Oldschool dungeon crawling where you fill out an area's map block by block. Bosses that can be trial-and-error, where your first attempt will be spent finding out what works and your second attempt will be actually trying to beat it.

I think it works well for something like switch where you can play in bed or on a couch.

Joyful

i do wonder if the being offering the protagonist his hand is the Demi-Fiend all grown up, if you pause around 53 seconds u can kinda see their face even tho its still blurry. Similar hairstyle as well.
Which would mean its related to nocturnes plot somehow, thatd be pretty rad

Last edited:
Top Bottom