• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei V launches in 2021 on Nintendo Switch

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Seems like the story is straight out of Apocalypse.

Guy/????/Girl???? dies and some god grants him power/resurrects him.

I'm happy for the SET date of 2021 either way. Was expecting game to never release and more persona spam.

The Nocturne port is also a great a thing but holy shit why release that until next year? Physical or digital only?

It's very good, but like folks have said above, these games can be brutal. IV was very streamlined compared to the previous entries so I also expect V to be very approachable.
lol no these games are easy

Last edited by a moderator:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
If you've never touched a JRPG sure. Or suck at fusing/managing your demons.
Thats the thing lots of people get confuse by Demon fusion systems in SMT/Persona games and forget that buffs/debuffs and states elements are really important compare to other JRPGs out there.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Thats the thing lots of people get confuse by Demon fusion systems in SMT/Persona games and forget that buffs/debuffs and states elements are really important compare to other JRPGs out there.
But you have buffs/debuffs in almost every other modern JRPG to date though? I'm still sticking with the "they don't play JRPGs" so that when they play any (Soul Hackers/Nocturne/IV) they think it is a difficult game. Or maybe they just aren't used to not being hand held on how to beat something.

Anyway I'm hoping we get the Apocalypse gameplay on V, that is all I'm asking for. (and for them to let us level up past level 900) Also Asherah.
iE4dpAC.jpg

NanaMiku

The new trailer show the beginning of the game, similar to the previous trailer 2 years ago. But the sequence is pretty different like the girl is missing and the "death scene" is different. I wonder if Atlus restart the development from the beginning again and change some things.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Pretty crazy when the Japanese version is releasing this October. Knowing Atlus West it's a late Spring release.
They always do this for Megumi mainline games. Japan always gets em first. 5's worldwide release is a first I think.
The new trailer show the beginning of the game, similar to the previous trailer 2 years ago. But the sequence is pretty different like the girl is missing and the "death scene" is different. I wonder if Atlus restart the development from the beginning again and change some things.
I'm thinking (you) are the girl now or you two were fused.

Last edited by a moderator:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
But the MC is wearing boy uniform. We still don't know anything about the game lol. The new trailer is basically still the same as the previous trailer. Still no info about the story or the gameplay
It is a Japanese game/not the first time in the seres a girl has dressed as a boy! The story from the trailer is clear as day. He/She/??? dies and they make a deal with a demon/god to come back. Maybe.

Paltheos

lol no these games are easy

The start of 4 sure isn't. Everything in that cave is stronger than you and there's no rest.
Strange Journey is just a constant kick in the balls. Fairly difficult encounters compounded by scant save points and layered stage hazards. Mistakes in combat aren't the only thing to worry about - Wasting time around the labyrinth meant precious resources lost in your next encounter. I was anxious every time I stepped a few paces away from my last save point because I never knew what BS the game would throw at me next or how long I'd need to hold out before the next save point.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
The start of 4 sure isn't. Everything in that cave is stronger than you and there's no rest.
Strange Journey is just a constant kick in the balls. Fairly difficult encounters compounded by scant save points and layered stage hazards. Mistakes in combat aren't the only thing to worry about - Wasting time around the labyrinth meant precious resources lost in your next encounter. I was anxious every time I stepped a few paces away from my last save point because I never knew what BS the game would throw at me next or how long I'd need to hold out before the next save point.
I had no trouble with any of these games myself. Never understood how 4 was hard at the begging outside you not getting the proper demons/fusing as soon as possible. Strange Journey I can sort of understand. iF was the only game that caught me off guard but that was because it is a terrible game.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
No they're not bro. Strange Journey and Nocture both have some curveballs. If they're easy, what would you call Persona 5?
Boring.

Eh, as a teen I beat these games without any guides, or help whatsoever. I figure adult gamers that can hold a controller can beat a modern JRPG. 5 should give you guys no problem, if you have beaten a JRPG before. Weakness abuse soon.

Shaqazooloo

SMT 4 was difficult up until the minotaur after that it's fairly reasonable in my opinion, I wouldn't call the game easy per sa but it's not super difficult like some people say.

It was my first SMT game

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
SMT 4 was difficult up until the minotaur after that it's fairly reasonable in my opinion, I wouldn't call the game easy per sa but it's not super difficult like some people say.

It was my first SMT game
Yeah I never got that whole "I had trouble with one part so the entire game was too hard" argument either. You learned about weaknesses/made a well rounded team and then made the game your bitch.

Boring.

Eh, as a teen I beat these games without any guides, or help whatsoever. I figure adult gamers that can hold a controller can beat a modern JRPG. 5 should give you guys no problem, if you have beaten a JRPG before. Weakness abuse soon.

They're definitely beatable, we're still talking about RPGs here and not some bullet hell shooter that forces you to monk it up and memorize 2 hours of patterns. But they're tricky, imagine you're this youngin and you hear all about these cool PS2 games called Final Fantasy X and Nocturne. One definitely tests you more.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
They're definitely beatable, we're still talking about RPGs here and not some bullet hell shooter that forces you to monk it up and memorize 2 hours of patterns. But they're tricky, imagine you're this youngin and you hear all about these cool PS2 games called Final Fantasy X and Nocturne. One definitely tests you more.
X tests your patience more. As in your patience to not turn off your system.

Amiga

I've never played an SMT game despite being a huge persona fan. When this comes out I'll have to check it out. Hopefully it's not as difficult as the previous ones. The reputations of the earlier games scared me off from playing them.
strange thing about MegaTen games is that the spin-offs have better stories than the main franchise, Persona 3 took it to another level and got even better with P4 and P5. other spin-offs like Devil Survivor and Raidou Kuzunoha are also better IMOO.

Danjin44

strange thing about MegaTen games is that the spin-offs have better stories than the main franchise, Persona 3 took it to another level and got even better with P4 and P5. other spin-offs like Devil Survivor and Raidou Kuzunoha are also better IMOO.
I disagree, I enjoyed stories for most of mainline SMT games, it just not very character story heavy compare to Persona series.

NanaMiku

It is a Japanese game/not the first time in the seres a girl has dressed as a boy! The story from the trailer is clear as day. He/She/??? dies and they make a deal with a demon/god to come back. Maybe.
Yeah, that's true enough lol. For the basic story yeah, it's clear enough. Tokyo is destroyed (again) and we have to decide to save it or not.

Amiga

I disagree, I enjoyed stories for most of mainline SMT games, it just not very character story heavy compare to Persona series.
Not saying Main MegaTen was bad, just that the spin-offs have better stories.
How many if the games I listed have worse stories than Nocturne? IMOO even Digital Devil Saga has a better story.

Danjin44

Not saying Main MegaTen was bad, just that the spin-offs have better stories.
How many if the games I listed have worse stories than Nocturne? IMOO even Digital Devil Saga has a better story.
I actually like Nocturne's story especially their own take on which side you want to choose instead of simple Law and chaos in SMTIV.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I actually like Nocturne's story especially their own take on which side you want to choose instead of simple Law and chaos in SMTIV.
Yeah totally! Specially the part about choosing and not being tossed into whatever route the game decides to. :p

I wonder how they'll be doing it this time. Wouldn't mind to see Reasons coming back.

ps: sorry about doble post, didn't know about the time limit for editing. ^^'

Yes but how much better than all the others? better than all the Personas?
Devil Survivor is an interesting one because its story is about as SMT as it can get for a spinoff: Tokyo getting wrecked, having to pick paths which align with Law, Chaos and Neutral. (There needs to be a DeSu3, get on it Atlus!)

From my POV the main difference when it comes to storytelling in SMT and Persona (at least 4&5, which I have actually played) is that the stories of numbered SMT entries always take place and revolve around Tokyo, whilst Persona's story revolves around its characters and the location just needs to have a school to work.

Both will tackle social commentary along the way with SMT always involving the Judeo-Christian God and Lucifer whilst Persona avoids that and instead always involves the personas (Carl Jung interpretation) of its characters.

Top Bottom