• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei V |OT| Persona heartless version.

bronk

Banned
I'm focusing on phys and it's not great up to the point I'm at. I don't think I've seen one enemy with a weakness to it and the crit rate outside of some skills is low, magic has consistently been a bigger damage dealer so far.

I'm sticking with it though!
I GIVE NO FUCKS IM PHYSICAL ALL DAY EVERYDAY TILL I DIE.

Jsisto

Just unlocked item use for demons and just like that I feel like the entire battle system has changed dramatically! Didn't think that would be an option.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I managed to beat my first boss Hydra at level 13 on hard mode. I died 2-3 times before beating him.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

Something I don’t understand with essence, I thought I could pick a fire, ice, wind essence from demons to my character, but only 1 remains ?

Edit, never mind, figured it out.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Im 1 hr in. I like the art style. But I'd be lying if I said I was impressed so far. Everything feels sluggish, slow and without impact or weight. Menu UI is very cheap looking. Run animation is odd. Sound design of all effects is not amazing so far. Voice acting is stilted..

Not impressed with the battle gameplay balance just yet. Seems to want me to use magic to hit weaknesses every turn but no easy way to regain MP aside from random orbs laying around the map. My first demon party member dies in 1 hit from slimes.

I vowed to give this series a 2nd chance so I am pushing onward! Not that happy about save spot healing costing money either.

Sakura

Im 1 hr in. I like the art style. But I'd be lying if I said I was impressed so far. Everything feels sluggish, slow and without impact or weight. Menu UI is very cheap looking. Run animation is odd. Sound design of all effects is not amazing so far. Voice acting is stilted..

Not impressed with the battle gameplay balance just yet. Seems to want me to use magic to hit weaknesses every turn but no easy way to regain MP aside from random orbs laying around the map. My first demon party member dies in 1 hit from slimes.

I vowed to give this series a 2nd chance so I am pushing onward! Not that happy about save spot healing costing money either.
There are items to heal mp.
Also, there are upgrades you can get to make healing cheaper, to replenish HP&MP at level up, you can also get skills to replenish MP, etc.
You start the game with not a ton of options, but slowly get stronger and increase the things you can do.

Danjin44

I'm not sure I agree with that, I'm playing this game on hard and yeah even normal enemies are not pushover but that does not make it unbalance. Dont treat this game like normal JRPG that you can basically destroy every normal enemies until you reach the boss. Even weakest Demon in SMT5 can destroy you if you give them the chance, but this why most of us became fan of SMT series in the first place.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
There are items to heal mp.
Also, there are upgrades you can get to make healing cheaper, to replenish HP&MP at level up, you can also get skills to replenish MP, etc.
You start the game with not a ton of options, but slowly get stronger and increase the things you can do.
I'm not sure I agree with that, I'm playing this game on hard and yeah even normal enemies are not pushover but that does not make it unbalance. Dont treat this game like normal JRPG that you can basically destroy every normal enemies until you reach the boss. Even weakest Demon in SMT5 can destroy you if you give them the chance, but this why most of us became fan of SMT series in the first place.
Sounds good. Im leveling up pretty quickly even in the first area. Have a full party now. Im anticipating the large difficulty spikes so I've just been grinding and looking for collectibles in the first area. The exploration and jumping makes the rhythm of repeat battles more enjoyable. Music is interesting so far too.

Danjin44

Sounds good. Im leveling up pretty quickly even in the first area. Have a full party now. Im anticipating the large difficulty spikes so I've just been grinding and looking for collectibles in the first area. The exploration and jumping makes the rhythm of repeat battles more enjoyable. Music is interesting so far too.
My advice is explore the crap of the map, every item you find can be useful and can save your ass and quests can also give really good stuff. Also got to every vending machine, the items you get from it you can sell them to give nice amount of Macca.

Last edited:

killatopak

My god. My copy finally arrived. Apparently my delivery guy got lost and couldn’t find my address. Fucking hell.

I didn’t realize the steelbook copy came with a handkerchief as well.

2L7UyTC.jpg

Danjin44

Fuck the
Werewolf
I'm still not reach that part yet, I'm still exploring and doing side quests.

I just fought Anahita and I'm surprised that she uses much more Hama skills than Bufu skills.

Last edited:
I can firmly say dampeners are the way to go for boss fights. They just make them so trivial. It is going to be fun crafting super broken demons on my second play through. How do you guys feel about the affinity system? I kind of like it, but it can feel restrictive for the early and mid games. Looks like it wont mean much for late game when you have items and upgrades for them.

Danjin44

How do you guys feel about the affinity system? I kind of like it, but it can feel restrictive for the early and mid games. Looks like it wont mean much for late game when you have items and upgrades for them.
I personally like them because it means you can't just give any skill you want to every demon.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Fuck the
Werewolf
You can negate physical attacks with Oni in your party and use his taunt to make the werewolf focus on him and then use a couple items to block electric attacks and using Jack Frost is a huge bonus. Some strats I found when I beat that part.

Last edited:

JayK47

I own a Switch, but I wish this game was available on other platforms. Looks interesting and the type of game I may enjoy.

Danjin44

I own a Switch, but I wish this game was available on other platforms. Looks interesting and the type of game I may enjoy.
If you have Switch and you are interested then I don’t see any reason not get it.

Last edited:

JayK47

Well. I would need to pry the Switch out of my wife's hands first. So it would be nice if it was not exclusive to Switch.

killatopak

Got my ass handed to me by the first major boss on hard.

Then I remembered how op buffs and debuffs were. Can’t believe I wasted my time levelling up. Also those party wide barrier items are op too.

I need to rewire my brain since I recently came out of a P5R replay.

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
Do elemental attacks not cause status effects (burn, freeze, stun)? It definitely hasn't happened with the tier 1 skills.

Danjin44

Do elemental attacks not cause status effects (burn, freeze, stun)? It definitely hasn't happened with the tier 1 skills.
I dont think SMT5 has that but instead there are some (unique) skills that have a chance cause status effect.

Bkdk

THis stupid 4th big map reminds me why I should never bother with console or any close platform single player game anhymore. In PC usually I can bypass all these bullshit with trainer with functions like super jump. In consoles or close platform I am always forced to deal with whoever created all these stupidity that is ruining the otherwise decent experience, sigh.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Yeah, I know how to beat it but I just may be a bit underleveled.i alao fused that before going to bed last night. Also I'll probably fuse another similar deamon just for the heck of it but I need three more levels for that.
👍That part wiped my party once it had a chance to do critical hits. I had to grind a bit before I had a lucky run.

Nico_D

👍That part wiped my party once it had a chance to do critical hits. I had to grind a bit before I had a lucky run.

Same. Except thrice for me, I'm kinda stupid. I just kept trying with slightly different combos.

I had two resistant team members. The werewolf wiped two of them - I probably could've grinded it down with just those two, healing and doing chipping small damage, but that felt boring so now I'm doing it properly.

Danjin44

I just barely survived the battle against Nuwa, she was tough and I’m guessing we gonna fight her again later on.

Dream-Knife

Banned
I tried docked this afternoon, how a game can perform worse while docked than handheld? It's baffling.
That would explain why I'm not having any performance issues as I'm playing it handheld. I've heard others say it performs poorly, but it seems fine for me on my gen 2 switch.

Prior to getting into SMT I always thought people who said some games play better handheld were full of it. Having played Strange Journey Redux, SMT 4, SMT 4A, and Soul Hackers portably, then playing SMT 3 on PC, I have to say I enjoy these type of games much more on a handheld.

I absolutely love this game. I only just defeated the first boss (the giant snake), but this is shaping up to be a GOAT game along the tier of XC2.

Kimahri

Banned
I love how everything works but I'm getting kinda bored with thr endless amount of enemies. Battles are fun and all, but not when there's ten in a row of the exact same enemies. What am I doing wrong here? Is it supposed to be like this?

Danjin44

I love how everything works but I'm getting kinda bored with thr endless amount of enemies. Battles are fun and all, but not when there's ten in a row of the exact same enemies. What am I doing wrong here? Is it supposed to be like this?
There is no random encounter here, you can either fight or run away.

Danjin44

Yeah, but will I be okay when I meet a boss? First boss kicked my ass until i grinded a bit.
What level were you? I beat the first boss at level 13 in hard difficulty, I did zero grinding.

Last edited:

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
One thing with dumping every stat bonus into strength is that every time a demon tries to arm wrestle me in a negotiation, the bitch loses.

I'm playing on normal and it feels like I'm a bit ahead of the curve. Before fighting
Nuwa
for the first time I kept having knock down drag out fights with Jatayu. I didn't manage to beat it at the time but it pumped me up a few levels and I managed to completely body
Loup-Garou
, which it sounds like other people have had problems with.

is everyone fighting EVERY demon that appears? not gonna lie it's getting a bit tedious. i could ignore them but i'm worried i won't be strong enough for tough enemies/bosses.

say there are 4 demons visibile. each one i fight usually has 2-3 demons in the battle. do i need to fight every demon or can i just skip some of them?

Last edited:

Danjin44

is everyone fighting EVERY demon that appears? not gonna lie it's getting a bit tedious. i could ignore them but i'm worried i won't be strong enough for tough enemies/bosses.

say there are 4 demons visibile. each one i fight usually has 2-3 demons in the battle. do i need to fight every demon or can i just skip some of them?
i say fight moderately, don’t forget you also get EXP from doing side quests.

Nico_D

Nope, I'm not. I get new deamons, fight enough to get all the (best) skills for them and then push forward. Exploring a lot tho.

Buggy Loop

Nooo way. I skipped so many fights and I got the first boss on first try at normal at level 14, no grinding, just exploring and doing all side quests.

The game is pure crack honestly, I keep sleeping later than my intended hours because time flies by.

N30RYU

You should fight them in an area till you have level enough to befriend every demon you encounter

Danjin44

For me I’m even more into it than all SMT & DDS games I played in the past just for the fact I can ignore encounters if I feel like it. The random battles were a test of patience for me back then.
Yeah, like the Obelisk dungeon in Nocturne, the random encounter rate was annoyingly high.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
How does the demon compendium work? Do I have to register demons or is it done automatically? Then the only purpose is to pay macca to summon one if you want?

Mercador

I personally I have no issue with the performance so far, sure it’s not perfect but not enough to effect my enjoyment.
Me neither, I really like the game, more than I'd expected. But it runs poorly on docked, way better in handled. But it makes no sense from my point of view.

Top Bottom