• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei V: Vengeance |OT| Join Qadištu familyyyyy and together, we will ”bang” the very gods!

On which platform will you be picking up the game?

• Total voters

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Apparently it was actual buffs like Attack Up X2 etc

TYBuLet.jpeg
It great buff skill but it cost lot of SP, but you can increase your affinity towards support skill it would cost less.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I skipped the Switch version, because I wanted to get the game on a console that could handle it. It wasn't worth the wait.

They should not have turned SMT into another generic open-world game. The environments have no personality, the pacing is a mess, and progression is unsatisfying. SMT5 isn't a bad game, but 12ish hours in, I'm pretty convinced that it's bottom tier SMT. Open-world design once again demonstrates why it is the absolute worst trend to happen to gaming. I'm tempted to kick this to the curb and just replay Nocturne again, since I've yet to play the HD version.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I skipped the Switch version, because I wanted to get the game on a console that could handle it. It wasn't worth the wait.

They should not have turned SMT into another generic open-world game. The environments have no personality, the pacing is a mess, and progression is unsatisfying. SMT5 isn't a bad game, but 12ish hours in, I'm pretty convinced that it's bottom tier SMT. Open-world design once again demonstrates why it is the absolute worst trend to happen to gaming. I'm tempted to kick this to the curb and just replay Nocturne again, since I've yet to play the HD version.

I think the idea is less to make it an “open world” and more to have you feel like you are actually traversing Tokyo ala the Map by actively moving through the map in real time. Instead of going to a point on the map and entering a mini zone/dungeon. I do feel like this could have worked more if there was more dungeons to explore and alternate areas to go to. Maybe entering buildings and the like, instead of almost all of them being destroyed.

sigmaZ

Gold Member
Impressions after about 6 hours. I bought it on launch, but had to finish my re-playthrough of P5R, so I only started a couple of days ago.

I gotta say I am disappointed by the bareboneness of the experience. My problem is not that there is basically no story or character motivation, I sort of expected this to be a lot more basic than Personas in this regard.
The Vengeance path isn't going to win any rewards, but it's decent enough to drive the gameplay and occasionally make you think about stuff.

But the lack of style or, I don't know how to express it, quality of presentation, is really strange to me.
Lack of style? I mean, lack of the Persona style for sure. That's gonna come down to personal preference in the end, but I find the post 2 Persona's to be a bit overstylized at times in contrast with how dull the actual gameplay and plot action is. Personally, I prefer the post-apocalyptic dark atmosphere of despair, but if you don't, yeah this isn't for you.

I just finished P3R and then P5R back to back. Both have so much more style, I even want to say more soul, although this is probably not true and is only a question of the allocated budget.
Basic things, like menu art, in SMT5 they look like some sort of a placeholder that was not replaced before releasing the game.
Your MC dies - no cutscene, no question for battle replay, no anything, you are just kicked back to main menu.
I can get an argument for more substance, but stylistically, like I said it's just a preference thing. The menu is highly functional which is what matters to me most.
The MC dying does have a cutscene, but going back to the main menu is the old-school DNA I previously mentioned. I think it's annoying when you cannot save anywhere, but now that you can, I don't find it to be that big of a deal.

The music is also not my cup of tea, I honestly want to turn off the battle music completely, it's so grating to my ears. Especially after P5, where I could listen to "you never see it comiiiiing" forever and not get tired of it.
Odd. I find the soundtrack to be fantastic and I love how chaotic it is at types to represent the themes of the games. Persona music is more like jam music to me. The OST in SMTV feels more crafted as videogame music. Plus, you're in a demon world. I don't want to hear Lotus Juice Englishing all over every track. I want synth and guitars. I'm sure Persona 6 will have more of that for you.

That said, I do like the gameplay, all the demon's innate abilities look really cool and I can see there is ton of customizability and experimentation of the party setup.

It just feel like I am playing a low budget demake version of a great game and I so wish it had the presentation level of Personas.
Sounds like you just want Persona, which is fine, but there's a reason they have separated from each other. I would just wait for Metaphor as that is likely to much closer to the modern Persona experience.

Danny Dudekisser

I think the idea is less to make it an “open world” and more to have you feel like you are actually traversing Tokyo ala the Map by actively moving through the map in real time. Instead of going to a point on the map and entering a mini zone/dungeon. I do feel like this could have worked more if there was more dungeons to explore and alternate areas to go to. Maybe entering buildings and the like, instead of almost all of them being destroyed.

It just doesn't work, though - if they wanted me to feel like I'm exploring post-apocalyptic Tokyo, there needs to be some sort of... I dunno, landmark or any sort of point of interest on the map? This is just copy-pasted sludge.

It's really emblematic of my chief complaint with most open-world game designs, which is: all they offer you is the *illusion* of exploration. SMT V offers precisely 0 additional nuance over the traditional games -- you just have to cover more ground to do the same things. Like having to scale destroyed buildings to get treasure instead of just putting the thing on the ground like a sane designer. But on the downside, now it's also too easy to avoid enemies, so you have to awkwardly seek them out to gain xp... but if you go back to explore other parts of the map, enemies are too weak to give you any meaningful amount of xp, so fighting is just a waste of time... which makes backtracking or any sort of longer-term exploration pointless, other than to force yourself to engage with the too-large map.

It is absolute amateur hour design.

Naked Lunch

Im so far removed from modern gaming that I couldn't even place exactly wasn't clicking with me. But your post explained it perfectly - its that super gross open world level design.

Such a shame too because the core SMT series doesn't release very often.
I basically avoided reading any info on this game for years and waited for it to leave Switch, but V is average at best - Im so bummed.

Of what I played so far, Nocturne runs circles around V - I would just much rather replay that.

acidagfc

The Vengeance path isn't going to win any rewards, but it's decent enough to drive the gameplay and occasionally make you think about stuff.

Sounds like you just want Persona, which is fine, but there's a reason they have separated from each other. I would just wait for Metaphor as that is likely to much closer to the modern Persona experience.
I completely agree that this primarily a style preference and I am really looking forward to Metaphor.

The game being designed for low res Switch screen might also be a serious limiting factor design-wise. IMO, it does not look great blown up to 55" TV. I guess I should have stuck with Steamdeck in handheld mode.

Also, I just got to the first boss fight and when you die to that, there is suddenly a cutscene. Dying in the openworld is an almost immediate cut to main menu.

Would you say the Vengeance path is better for a single playthrough?
I don't expect any of the confidants\schoollife stuff from Personas (frankly I am tired of it after 2 games in a row), but is it maybe more interesting than the original?

Last edited:

sigmaZ

Gold Member
I completely agree that this primarily a style preference and I am really looking forward to Metaphor.

The game being designed for low res Switch screen might also be a serious limiting factor design-wise. IMO, it does not look great blown up to 55" TV. I guess I should have stuck with Steamdeck in handheld mode.

Also, I just got to the first boss fight and when you die to that, there is suddenly a cutscene. Dying in the openworld is an almost immediate cut to main menu.

Would you say the Vengeance path is better for a single playthrough?
I don't expect any of the confidants\schoollife stuff from Personas (frankly I am tired of it after 2 games in a row), but is it maybe more interesting than the original?
Oh, you were playing the original path? Ok, then I understand your complaints more. I never finished the original path, like you I started it on release and put it down because it felt so bare bones and there were other games I was playing at the time.
This time around I started with Vengeance and even though the start is very similar a lot of little things stuck better. The enemies look a lot cooler and there's a lot more story bits in between everything. Like I said, it's not an amazing story or anything, but thematically it's quite cool.

semiconscious

Gold Member
Dude, I love these edgy and frankly hilarious interactions that Nahobino has with some of these demons. 😂 The new Demon Haunt is such a great addition to SMTVV!

GRB-_HuXoAAZNWA
it's very impressive, & adds so much life to the game. i especially love the miman comments...

another game that has the same immense amount/variety of quirky, funny npc commentary as this game is animal crossing: wild world. between your homies, the village regulars/guests, the bottle/bulletin board messages, & the letters from mom? all crammed onto that little cart? 15 years on, i still visit my town every day for a few minutes, &, once in a great while, i'll hear/read something i'd swear i've never heard/read before. pretty sure that the incredibly clever localization crew that worked on it was having even more fun than anyone who's played it...

Pretty early on in the new Daat zone but man, it’s incredibly unnerving in a way that’s hard to describe. I feel like it has this biblical, Garden of Eden aesthetic going on paired with music that brings to mind cosmic horror. I love it.

The SMTVV OST is a certified banger for sure! I've even added some of its tracks to my video game OST rotation.

This one is my favorite battle music by far. Hypes me every time it plays!

Also, love this upbeat battle music for the DLC, Konohana Sakuya:

And this track is dope as well, I think you first hear it when you first encounter Poison Gas Man.

LMAO there's nothing open world about these zones, you move in a linear fashion from point A to point B following quest markers. The structure of the areas is like any other outdoor environment dungeon in every JRPG ever

If you think this somehow has less personality than the bland environments of Nocturne then I think you need to get your eyes checked

Jsisto

Anyone that played the original find that they’re mixing things up a bit this time? Try as I might, I’ve pretty much ended up using nearly all the same demons. I feel like there’s such a big need to focus primarily on raw magic damage for the first big chunk of the game. A lot of the support/debuff and physical attackers in the early game kind of get a bad deal IMO. Especially on hard mode.

Last edited:

sigmaZ

Gold Member
The SMTVV OST is a certified banger for sure! I've even added some of its tracks to my video game OST rotation.

This one is my favorite battle music by far. Hypes me every time it plays!

Also, love this upbeat battle music for the DLC, Konohana Sakuya:

And this track is dope as well, I think you first hear it when you first encounter Poison Gas Man.

I love the standard boss battle song. Just really cool melody, rhythm, and cool sound on the lead

My favorite is the world map song though. I love that dark ethereal stuff. It's why I love the Persona 1 soundtrack so much. And that friggin bass...

Danny Dudekisser

LMAO there's nothing open world about these zones, you move in a linear fashion from point A to point B following quest markers. The structure of the areas is like any other outdoor environment dungeon in every JRPG ever

If you think this somehow has less personality than the bland environments of Nocturne then I think you need to get your eyes checked

I mean... if these areas aren't open-world, then what is? What even constitutes open-world at that point? The existence of quest markers doesn't make something linear - practically every game has that.

I also don't know how you arrive at the conclusion that Nocturne's environments are comparatively bland. I'm 20 hours into SMTV and it's pretty safe to say that almost the overwhelming majority of the game has been a lot of sandy vista with some random rubble scattered all over the place. Things changed a bit for the better in the back half of the second area, but... even that was pretty bog standard. I don't think that's unfair to say - there isn't a lot of variation, and there's basically a single tileset that gets reused for an entire, huge map. Nocturne, on the other hand, had many more, smaller areas and tried way harder with the art direction:
ps4-smt-nocturne-remaster-screenshots-2.jpg

2-SMT3-0423.jpg

screenshot.shin-megami-tensei-nocturne.512x384.2014-05-07.4.jpg

shin-megami-tensei-iii-2-1.jpg

13-SMT3-4113.jpg

It did a hell of a lot more to riff on the post-apocalyptic urban setting at just about any point in the game than SMT V has attempted in my entire playtime so far. SMTIV and IV A did a much better job too - while they didn't go as artsy, they committed to the cyberpunk riff and were really successful with it.

It also doesn't help that unlike SMT III and IV/IV A, SMT V's OST is mostly amelodic nothingness that conveys no mood whatsoever in the game's areas. There are some good tracks in the game, but they're few and far between and generally not the music that accompanies the actual exploration segments.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
So I beat the castle now I’m in the largest da’at area yet to get to the empyrean.

I was like level 54 or 55 and beat the castle easy. Now everything is 60,64, and 72. Wtf at the level spike jump?

Is this the last area for the game? I can see myself losing 6-10 hours here easy.

Metnut

Game didn’t feel open world to me. My favorite part of the game was the exploration. Plot was a waste of time but atmosphere, music, exploration were all a blast. 8/10 game IMO

acidagfc

It has certainly grown on me. I restrarted in Vengeance mode and got further in.

Made it to the second open area.
Fuck that demon chick in the underground with Mamudo +3 always critting without anyone in the party having a weakness to dark. I replayed this battle like 15 times. Next boss was a joke compared to her.

The music is apparently way better when the sound goes to headphones. I have to set my soundbar to low volume when playing, so all of music just turns into noise. But in headphones it is great.

I like the darker themes compared to Personas, although I wish they'd went with adult protags for a change. School stories are so done for my taste.

Interested to see where the plot goes.

Says im at 90% completion on Canon of Vengeance on the PS5 dashboard, that doesn't seem right.. Just turned 61 and I'm definitely not in the final area.

Top Bottom