• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Should I get a Switch OLED for Zelda?

Bond007

I broke down and got it.
Figured the Zelda consoles always look the best to me and hold up in the long term. While the OLED is beautiful and im glad i got it in case i travel- its mostly a home console on my 85inch.

Im also aware of a replacement soon and figured id have the best (to me, Zelda edition) of the prior generation and hold onto this one longterm.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Do It Episode 3 GIF by Star Wars

Ulysses 31

I broke down and got it.
Figured the Zelda consoles always look the best to me and hold up in the long term. While the OLED is beautiful and im glad i got it in case i travel- its mostly a home console on my 85inch.

Im also aware of a replacement soon and figured id have the best (to me, Zelda edition) of the prior generation and hold onto this one longterm.
You should consider the NYXI Hyperion if you're gonna game a lot in handheld mode. These are even better than the Split Pad Pros from HORI since these do also have motion controls still.

a81c4b452756414a870e1ba15ccb0fcd_900x.jpeg

Gambit2483

I broke down and got it.

You might find yourself playing more in handheld with that beautiful vibrant screen. ✌️

ultrazilla

Get a PC the game runs and looks like shit on the Switch

While this take is extreme, Esppiral Esppiral speaks the truth. I owned both an OG Switch(sold on the marketplace here) and would play my backed up copy on CEMU.
I was getting over 60fps in 4k and the game looked beautiful:

The Legend of Zelda: BOTW. My rig via CEMU and my personal backed up/dumped retail copy fyi.
1kjkRKp.jpg

yPnL9nj.jpg

mwaTKGe.jpg

Once I started playing it like this, I couldn't go back to the Switch hardware for the game. It's just a huge downgrade. These games deserve more powerful hardware(TOTK looks even nicer IMO) so I'm hoping we'll finally get some
announcement at the Nintendo Live event coming this fall-September.

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
Oled is genuinely gorgeous and if you go with thr special edition Zelda Switch, it looks even better. Love the design.

While this take is extreme, Esppiral Esppiral speaks the truth. I owned both an OG Switch(sold on the marketplace here) and would play my backed up copy on CEMU.
I was getting over 60fps in 4k and the game looked beautiful:

The Legend of Zelda: BOTW. My rig via CEMU and my personal backed up/dumped retail copy fyi

Once I started playing it like this, I couldn't go back to the Switch hardware for the game. It's just a huge downgrade. These games deserve more powerful hardware(TOTK looks even nicer IMO) so I'm hoping we'll finally get some
announcement at the Nintendo Live event coming this fall-September.

This is true but the portability of the switch makes up for the low performance IMO. I would rather be able to play it in portable mode any where when I want too.

I ended up picking up the Zelda OLED just for this game, did the same thing for BOTW.

Last edited:
I just have a Switch lite and I was also debating on getting a OLED for Zelda TOTK. I don't know if I wanna spend $400 just for one game. When I could just spend $70 and play it on the lite.

Gambit2483

I just have a Switch lite and I was also debating on getting a OLED for Zelda TOTK. I don't know if I wanna spend $400 just for one game. When I could just spend $70 and play it on the lite.
Going from the Lite to the Bigger, more vibrant color rich screen of the OLED is almost like playing it on a different system. Especially if you get a chance to do tabletop mode

Last edited:

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
Oled is genuinely gorgeous and if you go with thr special edition Zelda Switch, it looks even better. Love the design.
OG Switch and SteamDeck have ugly screens

Yes its all true my friends this may be the greatest game ever

So's I'm gonna get it on Switch OLED because I'm worth it

give_me_paw_spaceballs.gif

Codes 208

If you plan on playing in handheld mode a lot, then yeah why not?

Otherwise the basic switch is perfectly serviceable

Last edited:

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
OG Switch and SteamDeck have ugly screens

Yes its all true my friends this may be the greatest game ever

So's I'm gonna get it on Switch OLED because I'm worth it

give_me_paw_spaceballs.gif
Apparently you can mod the steam deck to use an oled switch panel. Or so I have heard.

I went for it. My launch window Switch will turn into an emulation machine and I’ll benefit from a fresh battery and bigger handheld screen for those games I end up playing on the go. I’m gonna love Silksong on the OLED screen.

So's I's was getting to thinking that I maybe DESERVE to play the new Zelda with an OLED screen.

My SteamDeck and old Switch have kinda crud displays and both are in crud condition. The screens for these are for peasants.

So's anyone else getting OLED for this? but I don't want the Zelda OLED though cus it's ugly.
Just get a pair of the Nreal glasses for the Steam deck and call it a day.

Top Bottom