• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Should I get DOA 5 or 6?

Which one

Votes: 15 50.0%

Votes: 15 50.0%

• Total voters

Banned
both of them have free 2 play versions out I'm pretty sure... so get them, play them... decide.

not that DOA evolved much since DOA3... so honestly I don't think you'll see much of a difference other than graphics

JordanN

Banned
Both games are free to play.

DOA6 obviously looks better but the new characters do nothing for me. I thought DOA5 was more interesting at release, especially since they did overhauled the artstyle.

Last edited:

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
DOA5 Last Round has a huge chunk of DLC whereas to my knowledge DOA6 doesn’t really have an equivalent.

I think it’s still missing a lot of costumes though. The point really is that I felt like I got a full video game with DOA5:LR.

Last edited:

brap

Banned
Speak with your wallet. Don't support the game with the more glutinous amount of DLC.

DOA5 has $1,117.34 worth of DLC on sale. DOA6, on the other hand, shows much more restraint at $879.89. Based on these figures, go with DOA6.
I'm not a coomer though so I don't care about the kawaii desu ne onigiri nipple pastie costumes or even costumes in general.

DOA5 Last Round has a huge chunk of DLC whereas to my knowledge DOA6 doesn’t really have an equivalent.

I think it’s still missing a lot of costumes though. The point really is that I felt like I got a full video game with DOA5:LR.
DOA 5 has 1085 listings on the ps store. 6 has 61 lol damn.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I’d go with 6 now. You can get the disc for around $20 or go the free to play route to try it out. 6 had its flaws but I got a good 50 hours playtime out of it and I rarely play fighters.

Dante83

Banned
They are both really stale games outside of sex appeal. Even the graphics, which was the biggest wow factor of these games back in the original xbox era, doesn't look that great these days. DOA6 doesn't look that much better than last gen DOA5 to be honest. The series is just not as exciting as it used to be. If you are looking for a solid 3d fighter with good gameplay, graphics, music, large roster of characters and great presentation, tekken 7 is the biggest bang for your buck IMO.

Last edited:
I recommend getting both because they have their differences. I don’t care what anyone says, both DOA5 and DOA6 are the best playing Dead or Alive games.

Both are very good, unique and underrated fighters. I think most people who hate the games never really took the time out to truly understand the mechanics. DOA6 has better graphics and imo plays slightly better, but since DOA5:LR is older, it has more content like characters and costumes. Try out the free Core fighter versions on the PSN store to see if you like it. Yeah, the DLC is ridiculous, but in all honesty, most fighters nowadays have too much or overpriced DLC in general.

Of course there’s Tekken 7, but I think the DOA games are different experiences from Tekken and it reminds me more of Virtua Fighter. Then again, it isn’t like there are many choices with 3D fighters, so the pickings are diminutive unfortunately.

Last edited:

xion4360

why do you need anyone's input when you can play both for free right now? search dead or alive core fighters on the store

Last edited:

killatopak

Gold Member
I think I preferred DOA5 just because it had more content right out of the gate with last round. If ever DOA6 has a definitive edition, I’ll go back to that.

They’re both pretty good fighters that are unfortunately not well known as a good fighting game because most people just know it for T&A.

Matt_Fox

I'll always go out to bat for Dead Or Alive and fighting games in general.

They remain one of the most 'gamey' of genres - blue skies, bombastic sound effects, cheesy fighter declarations, and fast frantic arcade gameplay.

These are the foundations our hobby was built upon and should be celebrated!!! :messenger_grinning: :messenger_grinning: :messenger_grinning: :messenger_grinning:

yNyAgnP.jpg

SkylineRKR

DoA has kind of gone to shit after 3. I could still tolerate 4, which was fun around 360 launch.

But 5 and 6 are equally terrible imo. Download the free to play versions.

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
Man, Dead or Alive was my shit in the Dreamcast and original X-Box era. I fucking loved 2, 3 and the Ultimate. I even put a ton of time into DOA Xtreme Beach Volleyball.

That opening CG to DOA 2 Ultimate set to Dream On was so good. Team Ninja just havent been the same since Itagaki left :(

teezzy

Banned
I hate SC. I do plan on getting Tekken 7 sometime.

I have DoA 5 on Xbox 360... bought it pre-owned on a whim. It's okay.

Tekken 7 though. Hot damn. Tekken and SC clown other 3d fighters imho fwiw (which isn't much lol)

Isa

I know I'm probably in the minority on this, but I feel that Tekken and Soul Caliber handle comparatively to DoA like Unreal to Quake. That is to say for me they feel super sluggish and slow, waiting for animations to play out. Granted I don't hate the games, but when I'm in the mood for a fighter I want that quick instant action that I can cancel out of moves with super slick animations. I think they're all pretty good mechanically, and DoA will always be my baby, with 5 having more base content over 6 but 6 has some neat new mechanics and physics based on materials.

I am a whale for DoA so be advised it is costly. Though that doesn't seem to be a problem for you. I like the new character Tamaki, I love sexy more mature ladies in anime. DoA5:LR you can move the PS4 controller to watch the girls's assets jiggle about. Soul Caliber you can create custom characters. There are a few pretty ladies in each of the games as well so at least that tradition keeps on giving. I've also been casually playing Granblue Fantasy Versus. It also suffers from more dlc but at least there are more stages coming out too because good god I hate it when there only a few places to visit. Then there are a few 2D niche fighters one can mess about with.

Imagine you're probably playing them for single player at this point, and am a casual like myself when it comes to fighters (just guessing here).

If you still got a 360 that does back compat, I suggest you check out DOA 3 instead. That one felt the most fun for me to play even today. Something about the speed and the movement just feels better, more grounded, more like a kung fu movie. With it's more gamey physics and sped up pace, DOA 5/6 feel like some kind of crazed anime battle that I barely have control over. Sense of impact has also diminished. It's dated now, but I prefer the more natural aesthetics as well of 3.

Comparison:

Ascend

Depends on what type of player you are.
DOA5LR is the more complete game. It has more content, more characters, and yes, even better gameplay.
The only reason to go for DOA6 is because it is more active online, since many players simply moved to the next installment. DOA6 is also more casual friendly.

DO5 :
- more characters, including Mai Shiranui and some of the cast from Virtua Fighter
- better gameplay
- better arts
- more options
- way less expensive
- payable on PS3, PS4, PSVITA

Top Bottom