• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sigma Star Saga pushed to August?! Face punching penalties!

Hopefully to coincide with the release of the GBA Service Pack 3.

Spiffy new SSS site!

02.jpg

It's also good to see Nintendo's own propaganda rag is riding asses about getting a publisher for Shantae Advanced. ROCK ON SHANTAE!

Next week - belly dancers. :q

hooo

boooy
The fact that it's coming out in itself is great. Shantae was a really great game for what it was and I can't wait for their new stuff. It's nice to see smaller western devs like Wayforward, Orbital and Sucker Punch doing well in genres that are fps's, racing games, or a bucket full of blood and boobs.

jarrod

Banned
Looks okay, but I'm still iffy on merging a top down ARPG with a horizontal shooter. I'd much rather be getting Shantae 2 than this.

WayForward's lost a bit of luster though with Orbital Media coming out of nowhere and blowing me away. Racing Gears Advance is fucking fantastic and all their upcoming games look equally as good.

jarrod said:
Looks okay, but I'm still iffy on merging a top down ARPG with a horizontal shooter. I'd much rather be getting Shantae 2 than this.

WayForward's lost a bit of luster though with Orbital Media coming out of nowhere and blowing me away. Racing Gears Advance is fucking fantastic and all their upcoming games look equally as good.

Ditto for me jarrod. Combining two genres in an interesting way is great, but there's no gameplay guarantee yet. Is Shantae 2 actually back on track now?

And for Orbital, well, I won't get into that, but I see IGN has posted a text + screens preview of Scurge. Looking pretty good...

jarrod

Banned
Yeah, it's not like Shanate was a game design masterpiece or anything... the shooting bits in SSS look pretty crap too. I think I'd prefer the game being 100% top down ARPG really.

Shanate 2 is finished afaik, but no publisher has stepped up for GBA. Some are interested in a DS version though, so that's likely where it'll end up imo.

blahness

jarrod said:
Looks okay, but I'm still iffy on merging a top down ARPG with a horizontal shooter.

They merged a ARPG with a vertical shooter in The Guardian Legend for NES and that worked out great. *shrugs*

jarrod

Banned
blahness said:
They merged a ARPG with a vertical shooter in The Guardian Legend for NES and that worked out great. *shrugs*
Yeah, but that was Complie. They could shit in my mouth and I'd probably love it.

Baron

I sensed the Guardian Legend G-Signal had been alit.

I pour a 40 for my fallen comrades at Compile.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
jarrod said:
Yeah, but that was Complie. They could shit in my mouth and I'd probably love it.

:lol

I showed my best friend The Guardian Legend for the first time the other day, and he thought it was amazing. My brother is still an unbeliever and he doesn't think it's that good :p

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
jarrod said:

I have faith in Wayforward. They've been given shit licenses and actually created some decent/enjoyable games out of them on Gameboy Color, which is not an easy task to do and makes their games really stand out from the sea of crappy licensed titles that were released on that system.

I'm looking forward to SSS since it's their first (published) Gameboy Advance offering, and I've only seen what they can do on 8-bit; the jump to GBA should be pretty impressive in comparison. I'd LOVE to see them start working with the DS or PSP, and yes, Shantae Advance needs to happen. How about NINTENDO picks it up and releases it with the GB Micro?

Shantae Advanced will happen.

I HAVE FAITH!

Not to mention some Namco / SSS staffers are dropping hints about it on the SSS message board. It's possible Namco may well publish Shantae Advanced. I won't get my hopes up, but if SSS does well - anything can happen.

The Take Out Bandit said:

I HAVE FAITH!

Not to mention some Namco / SSS staffers are dropping hints about it on the SSS message board. It's possible Namco may well publish Shantae Advanced. I won't get my hopes up, but if SSS does well - anything can happen.

I hope that's the case. I'm thinking someone has the rights to it now, even Nintendo Power dropped a comment about Shantae in a side bar and said that it should be picked up for release, and that's Nintendo's official mag.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
I support this thread and Shantae Advanced.

I checked out the video for SSS and it looks allright. I wasn't too impressed but hell it could turn out great. The important thing is that Wayforward isn't out of business and continues to make more games (same for Orbital).

Hopefully to coincide with the release of the GBA Service Pack 3.
:lol

M3wThr33

Banned
SSS was really boring and repetitive.
Basically if I failed to attack an enemy correctly I ended up in a short corridor on a ship shooting for a bit. It felt like I was wasting my time and not getting anywhere, not to mention the character controls felt very clunky and the sprite itself was really oversized.

Sergenth

SSS was really boring and repetitive.
Basically if I failed to attack an enemy correctly I ended up in a short corridor on a ship shooting for a bit. It felt like I was wasting my time and not getting anywhere...

I could say the same thing about any encounter with an enemy in Baten Kaitos. Initially, the game doesn't impress and the battles are all about getting an ass-whooping or endurong strung-out battles against foes that you should be able to beat quickly... until a grip is gotten on the card battle system (combos, deck building, forcing treasure by raising combo %, etc). Then it's a fine and worthwhile specimen of RPG.

My question is, can overworld enemies be more easily skipped ala Paper Mario, when they become "easier" to beat due to level and power-ups.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
Wow my Guardian Legend brothers are many!

God I wan't a sequel to that game so damn bad I will kill several Nintendog Puppies for it without remorse.

The End

Shaheed79 said:
Wow my Guardian Legend brothers are many!

God I wan't a sequel to that game so damn bad I will kill several Nintendog Puppies for it without remorse.

Well, Compile is out of business, but some of their people made their way to 8ing/Raizing, and some of them appear to have been picked up by Cave to work on Ibara.

It appears that the rights for all of Compile's stuff except for Puyo Puyo belong to Aiky

http://www.aiky.biz/

Oh hell yeah!

story_char.jpg

Newer trailer is available at Gametrailers.com.

I'll remain optimistic until this game disappoints for sure. I'm a sucker for genre hybrids. You figure with all the pissing and moaning over the lack of new, and original games, people would be a bit more optimistic about this one as well. Ah well - whatever. I'll be paying for Matt Bozon's Taco Bell dinner come August. :p

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Indeed it was. Amazing overworld graphics and animations, all things considered. I wish the shooter sequences were as vibrant and lush looking.

My god that trailer is fucking sweet.

Yeah - I'm afraid the GAF Loonies are losing their grip. There should be cries of "2D GOODNESS" all around.

Hell, Mrs. Sea Manky was commenting - "This game is old" while I was watching the trailer over Chateau de Manky. It's so old school, it's mistaken for an SNES game. :p

And just for good measure. . .

story_char.jpg
story_char.jpg
story_char.jpg

Gotta love minimal coverage! :D

Syckx

I HAVE FAITH!

It's being moved to the DS.

It's being moved to the DS.

Matt Bozon has stated himself that the GBA still has the larger installed base, and that it's likely to remain on the GBA.

If they can't find a publisher for it on the GBA, what makes you think they'll magically find one on the NintenD00DS? :/

Syckx

Well it is unfortunate for your suppostition that I know Matt and Mark Bozon as well as the rest of WayForward. I live in Valencia, Ca by the way.

Tellaerin

Syckx said:
Well it is unfortunate for your suppostition that I know Matt and Mark Bozon as well as the rest of WayForward. I live in Valencia, Ca by the way.

Just for the record, that's the sort of thing you should have mentioned in your first post, rather than making what looked like an unsubstantiated declaration, then getting peevish because someone questioned you about it afterwards. Do you take everything you hear on messageboards as fact? How was he supposed to realize that you're friendly with the Bozons if you don't speak up? :p

lexy

Tellaerin said:
Just for the record, that's the sort of thing you should have mentioned in your first post, rather than making what looked like an unsubstantiated declaration, then getting peevish because someone questioned you about it afterwards. Do you take everything you hear on messageboards as fact? How was he supposed to realize that you're friendly with the Bozons if you don't speak up? :p

To Syckx's credit, you really have no reason to believe him now either.

Tellaerin

loxy said:
To Syckx's credit, you really have no reason to believe him now either.

Point, but I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt under the circumstances, and I'm sure that many other people here would do the same. In order for that to happen, though, the person doing the posting really needs to mention the source of the information at the outset, not just toss off unsubstantiated statements as if they're fact and then get prickly when someone questions the information.

Syckx

I just offered a statement and s/he seemed to mock it -- what with the ":/" and all. I merely responded in kind.

I have a casual relationship with a lot of the WatForward guys. I also know they are doing a Ninja Turtle plug-and-play. I asked about Shantae Advance prior to E3 and Matt said it most likely would surface on the DS in a largely unchanged form save for some touchscreen options. There is still no publisher, though.

EDIT: I understand you think I should have listed my credentials but it was just a quick reply and I really didn't think it through.

Hey cool.

Best I can do is nag him through e-mail, and the last time I inquired he said it's still on track for the GBA. This was back in April.

That's another thing I enjoy about Wayforward - Matt actually responds to my psycho e-mails. :p

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
The DS doesn't need a sloppy GBA->DS "adaptation". Leave Shantae Advanced on the GBA or buried. I'd take either, actually. :)

Got the water boiling now, anyhow. . .

If Wayforward moves Shantae to the NintenD00DS for no other reason than tilting at windmills with no real design justification (Rationalizing it by letting players access menus with a stylus instead of a D-Pad is bad decision making); which sounds like most of the NintenD00DS library - as much as a fan as I am, I will not be buying it. >:|

Now if they took my suggestion and incorporated a Gitaroo Man like rhythm game in which you traced the beat with the stylus - you'd be on to some hot shit right there.

jgkspsx

If Wayforward moves Shantae to the NintenD00DS for no other reason than tilting at windmills with no real design justification which sounds like most of the NintenD00DS library - as much as a fan as I am, I will not be buying it. >:|
A longer system (and thus sales) lifespan? A userbase composed mostly of early adopters that's more aware of games?

I really don't understand this kind of thinking. If a DS game is $30, and a GBA game is $30... who does it hurt to release on DS?

MrDaravon

Posting just to say that Guardian Legend is fucking awesome, and I'm glad I finally found people who had at least heard of the game.

who does it hurt to release on DS?

The larger installed userbase of the GBA.

It's a simple matter of numbers, and I really don't know what sort of Meme Materialization Ray™ Nintendo used to hoodwink people into falling for the NintenD00DS, but it makes absolutely no good god damn sense for a developer to tack on a useless feature and release it as a NintenD00DS game.

Then again I should be wary - Wayforward did add a dance to Shantae just for the GBA, IIRC.

Anyhow - GBA Service Pack 3 + Shantae Advanced = BIG SALES ALL AROUND! Don't fuck me over Wayforward, or there will be Hell to pay. Der blerd and der titties.

Top Bottom