• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill 2 remake rated in Korea

tenor.gif

fart town usa

Gold Member
Serious question that probably deserves it's own thread;

If SH2 is one of the best games of all time, and SH went downhill when Western devs took over, and Konami have shown themselves to be incompetent. Why are people so excited for a remake of SH2 developed by Bloober Team?

Not trying to be a hater, but it just seems so completely bonkers to me. The hype doesn't make sense. Obviously this only applies to the vocal SH purists.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.

If SH2 is one of the best games of all time, and SH went downhill when Western devs took over, and Konami have shown themselves to be incompetent. Why are people so excited for a remake of SH2 developed by Bloober Team?

Not trying to be a hater, but it just seems so completely bonkers to me. The hype doesn't make sense. Obviously this only applies to the vocal SH purists.
Bloober Team are capable Devs regardless of what you think of their own games, they're not making an original or a sequel or even a reimagining of it like Shattered Memories was.
It's a straight up remake, even with the inclusion of more combat, they can't really fuck it up.
When the source material is that good, it should be a easy home run.

Last edited:

RagnarokIV

Bloober have got some good stuff - Blair Witch went under the radar but was great, Observer was good but System Redux elevates it to great.

They have a scrappy hunger to them, and this is a remake so the story is already there. They can focus on getting gameplay down.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Bloober Team are capable Devs regardless of what you think of their own games, they're not making an original or a sequel or even a reimagining of it like Shattered Memories was.
It's a straight up remake, even with the inclusion of more combat, they can't really fuck it up.
When the source material is that good, it should be a easy home run.
Yea I think Bloober is perfectly competent. It's been cool to watch them go from vaporware with Nibris on Wii to a capable studio that has a ton of potential.

It's not so much Bloober themselves with the question I posed, just that this remake kind of lumps everything that some people have raged against with SH post-Team Silent yet the hype is there in spades.

Not trying to raise a fuss, just can't help but notice it and find it interesting.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Bloober have got some good stuff - Blair Witch went under the radar but was great, Observer was good but System Redux elevates it to great.

They have a scrappy hunger to them, and this is a remake so the story is already there. They can focus on getting gameplay down.
I agree. I have many issues with The Medium and I think their story person needs to reign it in but their games are totally competent.

I'd love to see them take it to the next level. SH2 might be it.

bitbydeath

They’re not making a new game where they could go off and do their own thing which ultimately ends up being shit, they’re just colouring between the lines on an existing one.

Last edited:

mdkirby

I’d rather an observer 2 personally…sadly rutger hauer died recently which will be a big loss for the sequel if and when they make one.

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
I’d rather an observer 2 personally…sadly rutger hauer died recently which will be a big loss for the sequel if and when they make one.

Listen brother, I always liked Rutger but, it's not like his performance in the game was any good (it really felt phoned in) or that it was a big contributing factor to the game being good, they could cast/create a whole new character and things would remain the same.

Anyway, regarding Bloober team, ill say it again : they have some VERY good artists there, their art-direction is always good but...they ALWAYS fuck it up on the technical side, every game of theirs have had terribad performance with the sole exception of The medium.

It's frankly a shame, their artists are on their A game which leads to terrific atmosphere in their games but the coding part of it is always super incompetent, this is why I'm expecting absolutely nothing good out of the SH2 remake.

Fookin' Hell, out of ALL the companies out there to remake one of the most beloved titles/franchises in gaming history and Konami chose Bloober, they really don't give 2 fooks about their IPs...

mdkirby

Listen brother, I always liked Rutger but, it's not like his performance in the game was any good (it really felt phoned in) or that it was a big contributing factor to the game being good, they could cast/create a whole new character and things would remain the same.

Anyway, regarding Bloober team, ill say it again : they have some VERY good artists there, their art-direction is always good but...they ALWAYS fuck it up on the technical side, every game of theirs have had terribad performance with the sole exception of The medium.

It's frankly a shame, their artists are on their A game which leads to terrific atmosphere in their games but the coding part of it is always super incompetent, this is why I'm expecting absolutely nothing good out of the SH2 remake.

Fookin' Hell, out of ALL the companies out there to remake one of the most beloved titles/franchises in gaming history and Konami chose Bloober, they really don't give 2 fooks about their IPs...
Depends on if they keep the main character the same as to if it’s a problem (for me), which also depends on if it’s already in development. I just find it super jarring when they do switcheroos, even if it’s for good reasons. If the sequel is a new character then it’s no issue, the world they built, whilst condensed, felt like a rich lore to base on and expand. I’d love to see them handle a more open or hub like environment, like a cyberpunk deus exy detective game.

And yeah their launches are super shaky, not exactly a problem unique to blooper tho, it’s generally become a matter of if you want to play game as it’s intended and in a not broken form, play it a year or so later…when it’ll also probably be “free” on one of the subscriptions. I held off for a good 18 months+ for cyberpunk for this reason, and played what I assumed would be its best version, and I still got stiffed when they released the expansion, which is not only meant to be played interwoven into the main story, but also they completely overhauled the core mechanics. Just not sure I can sink another 100h+ replaying a game.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud

Idk why. Sh2 was always a game with great atmosphere, story and music.
But the gameplay was always terrible. Not only bad combat but keys hunting and trying out every door. It was tedious.

So remaking is only good if you want new graphics and quality of life. And blooper doesn’t know any of those. Maaaaybe graphics.

Top Bottom