• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill: Revelation 3D (movie sequel)

fernoca

Sorry if this old as hell, but it seems that the movie finally got a name.
With Michael J. Bassett (Solomon Kane) set to direct and write the film (what happened to Roger Avary's script?).

But, the story seems to be an adaptation from Silent Hill 3 (the game) with Heather Mason looking for her father and shocking discoveries related to her 18th birthday.

A little more info at Bloody Disgusting.

Pai Pai Master said:
Why would they skip the best one?

This. Silent hill 3 doesn't really make sense (and of course, the most shocking moment is completely neutered) without playing through 1 first....and the first silent hill movie was completely unrelated to SH1.

2 stands on its own, and is a stronger story. Consider me completely baffled.

The Take Out Bandit said:
lol @ SH2 fans

?

I'm not putting SH2 on a pedestal like it's god's gift to storytelling in gaming, but going straight to 3 when playing through 1 is essential to comprehending the story doesn't make sense.

Even making a movie out of 4 would be a better move.

I personally thought the first Silent Hill was a damn good film. Bad script, but great amtosphere/horror/gore.

I doubt this will be as good, especially in shitty 3D.

Cosmozone

Will be crap. :(
Didn't know that Solomon Kane movie and looked it up in Imdb: 6.2 (uh-oh)
3D cash in (uh-oh)
Staff changes (uh-oh)

This will hurt the reputation of the SH franchise itself.
At least Avary seems to be out, that's good.

Cosmozone said:
Didn't know that Solomon Kane movie and looked it up in Imdb: 6.2 (uh-oh)
Huh? 6.2 is pretty good on IMDB scale...

I bet they will tie this to the first movie, ala SH1/3

edit:
except
Now on the eve of her 18th birthday, plagued by horrific nightmares and the disappearance of her father,
?

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Manmademan said:
This. Silent hill 3 doesn't really make sense (and of course, the most shocking moment is completely neutered) without playing through 1 first....and the first silent hill movie was completely unrelated to SH1.
Not really. It was an adaptation/remake of SH1.

Obviously the bit with the main character looking for her father makes sense in light of the ending to the first film.

BocoDragon said:
Obviously the bit with the main character looking for her father makes sense in light of the ending to the first film.

Yeah this makes way more sense than doing a SH2 adaptation, it can tie directly into the first film.

Anyway the only thing that's bugging me is that it will be in 3D which tells me that, right off the bat, they don't get Silent Hill at all-- unless they use 3D as a tool for creating depth in hopes to add to the atmosphere, and not THINGS COMING RIGHT AT YA

We'll see.

brandonh83 said:
Yeah this makes way more sense than doing a SH2 adaptation, it can tie directly into the first film.

Anyway the only thing that's bugging me is that it will be in 3D which tells me that, right off the bat, they don't get Silent Hill at all-- unless they use 3D as a tool for creating depth in hopes to add to the atmosphere, and not THINGS COMING RIGHT AT YA

We'll see.
Watch as these people get torn apart by barbwire... WITH GORE FLYING RIGHT AT YA!

BocoDragon

brandonh83 said:

We'll see.
Yup. I mean with the whole grain filter, it's like Silent Hill was going for a 70s style italian horror flick shot on 16mm (or whatever).

The guy who said above that it would be re-purposed as a Saw style movie is probably right. :(

But at this point.. my nerd rage is dried up. Even SH the games aren't exactly purist anymore.

Radogol

Manmademan said:
Tthe first silent hill movie was completely unrelated to SH1.

As BocoDragon already noted, the movie was pretty much SH1. All they did was cut off Harry's dick and (of course!) put Pyramid Head in it.

EDIT:

Uhh, they inserted Pyramid Head into the plot.

Not into Harry's dick.

BocoDragon

I actually prefer that they're aping the more solid plots of SH1 and 3... even if they're twisted from their original versions.

SH2, dark, introspective, psychological poetry, blah blah blah... no studio would ever do that justice.

BocoDragon

brandonh83 said:
We have to be optimistic, brother.
True. No reason to hate yet.

It's just that I suspect the studio has dredged it up to make coin, and unlike the first film with its creative spearheads Avery and Gans, it really will be more like the cash-in attempts like the usual videogame movies.

BocoDragon said:
SH2, dark, introspective, psychological poetry, blah blah blah... no studio would ever do that justice.

Pretty much. I can totally see this fitting rather well with the first movie. Radha Mitchell should be turned into a villainous character like Maria or some crazy shit like that.

Another important thing will be who does the score. Jeff Danna arranged random Yamaoka music from the first film, so that was cool, but I don't see something like that happening again.

Maybe Daniel Licht (Dexter) who is scoring Silent Hill 8 should do it.

Tawney Bomb said:
Maybe I overlooked something, but are they ever going to explain the ending of the first movie, or its this one going to?

The ending to the first movie was explained during the ending of the first movie.

fernoca said:
That's not an official poster. ;)

*wipes sweat off forehead*

see how much faith I have? I actually wouldn't put it past them to the point that I thought it could have been real :lol

mollipen

brandonh83 said:

Wait, what? The ending of the first movie perfectly set up a second movie based around SH2.

Cosmozone

TheVampire said:
The first Silent Hill movie was actually pretty good, better than all the other video game movies
A while ago I would've had to agree, despite hating it for what it is and what it does. But now, how about this (haven't seen it yet):

24qogh3.jpg

Top Bottom