• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill: Revelation 3D (movie sequel)

The casting of Heather will be crucial. She had a shitload of baggage in the game, so it'll be important to capture that.

Oh, and if they have to keep the
oral abortion
scene.

shidoshi said:
Wait, what? The ending of the first movie perfectly set up a second movie based around SH2.

Not at all.

In Silent Hill 2, James fake-gets a letter from his dead wife that he killed telling him to come to Silent Hill so that he can repent for his sins. Oh come on, that's what the letter really meant.

In the first Silent Hill movie, Christopher's wife and daughter basically get trapped in Silent Hill. If the sequel followed Christopher going to Silent Hill to free them or whatever, how in the world could that possibly mirror the events of Silent Hill 2? Chris didn't kill them nor did he do anything in the first film to answer for. He's nothing like James and the story is nothing like SH2.

brandonh83 said:
Not at all.

In Silent Hill 2, James fake-gets a letter from his dead wife that he killed telling him to come to Silent Hill so that he can repent for his sins. Oh come on, that's what the letter really meant.

The creepy part is that
Mary was in his car trunk
; the first thing you see when leaving the bathroom.

In fact, I'd say the ending of the film doesn't even entirely set up Silent Hill 3's story, since
it ends with the daughter effectively permanently possessed, the mother trapped in the mist world with said daughter, and the father alone
. :I

mollipen

brandonh83 said:
Not at all.

In the first Silent Hill movie, Christopher's wife and daughter basically get trapped in Silent Hill. If the sequel followed Christopher going to Silent Hill to free them or whatever, how in the world could that possibly mirror the events of Silent Hill 2? Chris didn't kill them nor did he do anything in the first film to answer for. He's nothing like James and the story is nothing like SH2.

Well, let's be fair here though: they're never going to go directly with the storyline of the games, and instead probably use them as a general basis. The exacts weren't anywhere close to the same, but the first still had the basic premise of "parent searching for child in creepy town who child has connection with."

For the second movie, they could have combined the element of "husband gets letter from wife that he lost a few years ago" + guilt husband feels over the loss of his wife. Yes, not the exacts of SH2, but close enough to have a similar feel in storyline compared to what Hollywood would do with the basic elements of the game.

From the few pieces we've now supposedly heard about this actual second film, doesn't sound to me like it'd connect to the first movie at all. (Not that is has to, but seeing the ending of the first totally had me feeling like we'd be getting a sequel with a SH2-esque slant to it.)

shidoshi said:
For the second movie, they could have combined the element of "husband gets letter from wife that he lost a few years ago" + guilt husband feels over the loss of his wife. Yes, not the exacts of SH2, but close enough to have a similar feel in storyline compared to what Hollywood would do with the basic elements of the game.
In the sense that there'd be a husband who lost his wife, yes. That's about the extent to which it'd have anything in common with Silent Hill 2.

Sotha Sil

Well I didn't watch the Silent Hill movie because the whole "lulz a father wouldn't care about his daughter that much, let's cast a woman instead" thing was quite the turn-off, but now I'm intrigued.

TheJollyCorner said:
...what in the 5 cocks is this?????????

It's basically evident if you believe In Water to be the real conclusion. Silent Hill 4 all but confirms SH2's ending (if you inspect a painting of Toluca Lake) in that regard, so it's putting two and two together.
James fabricated the letter, took Mary's body (remember the images of him carrying her?) and packed it up, drove to Silent Hill, started his journey, and ended it in Toluca Lake when he realized what he'd done.

"We spent the whole day there, just the two of us, staring at the water..."

teiresias

BocoDragon said:
Not really. It was an adaptation/remake of SH1.

Obviously the bit with the main character looking for her father makes sense in light of the ending to the first film.
How does that make sense considering the ending of the first movie? The daughter is essentially possessed (or is the demon Alessa in a differ ent form) living with her wacked out mother on her dark world version of the house. Why would she want to look for her father? Is the character in the synopsis even in the first movie?

thought deathwatch was pretty awesome, so i guess i'll give this guy a chance. i like 3D movies, but the thing that has me worried about it being used here is that often 3D movies don't have classic cinematic shots/angles/scenes because of being done with 3D in mind. hopefully this will at least be middle of the road.

as far as story goes, i'm surprised that heather hasn't changed genders, and that they are saying she's looking for her father instead of mother due to the butchering and shatting upon that was done to the SH1 story in the first movie. im glad avery and gans will have nothing to do with this film. that doesn't mean it will rock or not suck, but at least there's a chance for the source material to be respected a little more (regardless of konami's blessing of the retardation in the gans film)

i could go on and on with my hate for the first movie and my love for the game series, and how protective i am of it, but i won't. i really want to give this new movie a chance, but there's a lot to be done between now and it's release, so he has plenty of time to dash my hopes.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Looking forward to it, I loved 3.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
First movie was fine to me on its own, the let-me-explain-everything ending was a dumb though. Should have been a quieter movie, without the cult. Would have worked better.

teiresias said:
How does that make sense considering the ending of the first movie? The daughter is essentially possessed (or is the demon Alessa in a differ ent form) living with her wacked out mother on her dark world version of the house. Why would she want to look for her father? Is the character in the synopsis even in the first movie?

I'm thinking if they want to do a sequel, they could say Alessa basically "took" her mother with her and are both stuck in the other world for good, but the daughter lived on, somewhere, under another name. Probably having no memory of what happened, and she starts looking for her father when she grows up.

Ether_Snake said:
First movie was fine to me on its own, the let-me-explain-everything ending was a dumb though. Should have been a quieter movie, without the cult. Would have worked better.

I did enjoy the allusion to the Otherworld at the end. I remember being in the theater and people around me said, what the fuck? when the credits rolled. :lol

Gans got that much right.

Sotha Sil said:
Well I didn't watch the Silent Hill movie because the whole "lulz a father wouldn't care about his daughter that much, let's cast a woman instead" thing was quite the turn-off, but now I'm intrigued.
Before the movie turned out to have a horrendous third act, I actually thought it was sort of cool that (apparently) only women could make it into the Otherworld, and was hoping for some interesting and provocative psychosexual themes like Silent Hill 2 and 3 had.

Sigh.

Not based on Silent Hill 2?

No Avary script?

3D?

9jdowm.gif

Will there be fetus eating, which in turn gives birth to God that you then have to kill? Silent Hill 3 is my most played through game ever--four times.

mollipen

badcrumble said:
In the sense that there'd be a husband who lost his wife, yes. That's about the extent to which it'd have anything in common with Silent Hill 2.

And that's enough. Like I said, you have to expect they're going to totally re-write the storylines for the movie anyhow, so I wouldn't put any expectation on their being any deep connection to the original game storyline.

fernoca

Plus if there's a twist or connection to the first film, is not like they are going to reveal it now. The movie hasn't started filming yet. They just found a distributor, so now next step seems to be casting.

RyanDG

Sotha Sil said:

It wasn't that a father wouldn't care about his daughter as much but that the character of Harry overall seemed more feminine to the director/writer.

I think when Roger Avary and Nickolas Boukhrief and I started to work on the project we assumed, because we are all fans of the game, that we would start writing with Harry Mason as our lead.

It quickly became clear however Harry never acted like a masculine character. He was constantly dizzy, fainting, talking to himself, screaming and in fact was very vulnerable. We didn't want to betray the nature of the game by changing the character's feelings and motivations, so we felt it was better to change to a female protagonist and retain all those important qualities. I don't want people to think that I have been "politically correct" because we changed Harry into Rose. There is no political correctness in Silent Hill.

It's important to mention that we were conscious that allowing the Gamers to have to face a new character would help in the transition from Silent Hill the Game to Silent Hill the Movie.

Now I don't necessarily agree with their decision - but for a horror film, I can see the argument being made to make the character even more vulnerable by the femininity. With that said, if this was the only major thematic thing that was changed in the film, it still could've succeeded as a movie. However, the film went off a deep end in far more concerning qualities.

Instro

Huh, I just watched the first movie last night and had been wondering about a sequel, perfect timing. The first SH movie actually wasnt half bad, probably the best video game adaption I've seen. The atmosphere and special effects were great, and they nailed the monster design. I had some problems with it, but overall surprisingly enjoyable.

Replicant

I'd rather they completely forget the 1st film and just reboot the whole thing with this film. Let's pretend that this film has nothing to do with the first one.

After all, they call her Heather Mason. "Mason" is not the family name of the family in the first film.

jett

D-Member
First movie was frankly, awful. I don't have high hopes for this one. I don't know why are they even bothering. Franchise is on life support.

Oh, and the actress they get to play Heather is extremely relevant to my interests. Extremely... relevant.

In all honesty, Silent Hill is the only series (well besides Chrono Trigger) to hit me in a spot where I gave it a life pass. I'll try anything set in that world, and I'll go into with more of an open mind then I go into a lot of things with. Hell, I even finished Shattered Memories, and it wasn't a game. We've got this.. thing, the new title (sh8 is it?), a bizarre phone call to James Sunderland, and I'm excited. Cautiously.

Goldrush

I loved the first movie, but never really liked the fact that they felt the need to loosely "adapt" the story of the video games. The game series already broaden the mythology to a point where the movie don't need to be tied down to anything.

Sotha Sil

RyanDG said:
It wasn't that a father wouldn't care about his daughter as much but that the character of Harry overall seemed more feminine to the director/writer.

Which is fucking stupid.

I Push Fat Kids said:
Hellraiser V is the best Silent Hill movie.

Heh, in a way, that's exactly true.

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
That's what I thought. I've beaten this game way too many times to count so when he said that, I went all, "WUH." I agree with his story analysis though.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Manmademan said:
?

I'm not putting SH2 on a pedestal like it's god's gift to storytelling in gaming, but going straight to 3 when playing through 1 is essential to comprehending the story doesn't make sense.

Even making a movie out of 4 would be a better move.

Damn! I was thinking of playing 3 after I finish my play-through of 2 but I've never played 1. What should I do? I dont want to play 1 too. (dont have all that much time).
Please suggest. Any video that I could watch or anything that I should read to be fine with the story of 3?

UrbanRats

Jangaroo said:
That's what I thought. I've beaten this game way too many times to count so when he said that, I went all, "WUH." I agree with his story analysis though.
IIRC, that's fan speculation, based on some of the lines from the
in water
ending.
But i might be wrong.

Also, it could be the connection
between the metaphoric Mary, in some endings, and the actual body in the Rebirth, ending.
And another clue, is that in SH4, James' father, have something write down in his apartment, regarding his son and his son's wife not coming back from SH, or something like this.
But it's just speculation anyway..

EDIT: Oh, didn't see Disappeared's post.

I Push Fat Kids said:
Hellraiser V is the best Silent Hill movie.
Even though I am a fan of the first film (captures the feel very well I thought) I would agree with your comment, I really liked Hellraiser: Inferno and can see exactly what you mean.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Jangaroo said:
It's speculation based on
the lines said during In Water, the scenes of James carrying her body, and Rebirth showing her body being somewhere in Silent Hill. The only location that makes all three make sense, even though you don't actually see it, is the trunk of James' car.

I'm sure it will suck, but I am curious to know if they're going to attempt to recreate some of the scenes and imagery from the game such as Heather climbing the ladder in the alternate hospital.

disappeared said:
The creepy part is that
Mary was in his car trunk
; the first thing you see when leaving the bathroom.

Uhh...what version of SH2 do you have? Because I want it.

MNC

Isn't it logical. Doesn't SH3 follow up to SH1 so the story is... logical for the next movie?

beje

Banned
disappeared said:
No screenplay could do Silent Hill 2 justice. It is scientifically impossible.

At least they would be able to fix Angela and make a teenage-looking actress play her. I remember having to see the making-off DVD to realise she was actually 17 more or less. I thought she was like 30-something because she was motion-captured and dubbed by a 40-something woman.

beje said:
At least they would be able to fix Angela and make a teenage-looking actress play her. I remember having to see the making-off DVD to realise she was actually 17 more or less. I thought she was like 30-something because she was motion-captured and dubbed by a 40-something woman.

I think that was the point.

John Harker said:
Here's hoping for Radha Mitchell and Sean Bean!

Like I said I hope Mitchell plays a dark Silent Hill version of Rose, that would be fucking awesome and she has the talent to pull it off. She could be the villain or something. Or Pyramid Head can remove his helmet and it is revealed to be Rose!

Audiences would shit themselves.
SH fans would kill themselves.

Top Bottom