• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill: Revelation 3D (movie sequel)

jett

D-Member
brandonh83 said:
Like I said I hope Mitchell plays a dark Silent Hill version of Rose, that would be fucking awesome and she has the talent to pull it off. She could be the villain or something. Or Pyramid Head can remove his helmet and it is revealed to be Rose!

Audiences would shit themselves.
SH fans would kill themselves.

They should just pretend that shit movie never existed.

Avary ended up in prison. As a result i'd imagine that it makes it difficult for him to do any required rewrites that the new director might desire.

not remotely surprised that Avary manslaughtering someone and going to prison has lead to a new writer being brought in.

amusingly, i like to pretend that SH6 is based on Roger Avary based on the trailers so far.

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
Jocchan said:
It's speculation based on
the lines said during In Water, the scenes of James carrying her body, and Rebirth showing her body being somewhere in Silent Hill. The only location that makes all three make sense, even though you don't actually see it, is the trunk of James' car.
Oh no, I assumed
Mary was in the trunk of his car as well.
. Disappeared made it sound like you could actually
see her as if the trunk of his car was open.
which was why I asked him to point out where in the video you were able to see it. I guess I misread or misunderstood his post.

Lime

If only they would get Wally Pfister to head the cinematography I wouldn't care about the god-awful directing, 3D-implementation and tacky writing (my predictions).

Nevertheless, I would be thrilled if they could nail the visual aesthetics of SH3. It is still to this day the most beautiful SH game both in a technical and an artistic sense.

RomanticHeroX said:
Awesome, now they can reach out and slap me with the exposition!

:lol Post of the thread.

The exposition in the first film made me facepalm through my fucking skull. For a SH adaptation to be true to the good instalments in the series exposition should be kept to a minimum.

G-Fex

jett said:
They should just pretend that shit movie never existed.

I liked the movie but I think they should just forget about the first one and do another story. So it looks like they will with this one.

Mr_Zombie

shidoshi said:
Well, let's be fair here though: they're never going to go directly with the storyline of the games, and instead probably use them as a general basis. (...) For the second movie, they could have combined the element of "husband gets letter from wife that he lost a few years ago" + guilt husband feels over the loss of his wife.

But the point is SH2's main theme isn't "husband is looking for his dead/lost wife" but rather the "guilt and redemption". The entire game is build around that - people you meet, locations you visit, monsters you fight with. You could change characters into anyone and the overall story would still work; but if you remove the
murder/sin
everything will fall apart. It's like making an adaptation of Dostoyevsky's "Crime and Punishment" and removing the part where Raskolnikov murders the pawnbroker; yeah, the movie would still be about poor student living in St. Petersburg, but the point of the story would be totally missed.

And about those revelations concerning the new movie... This will not turn good. I can't see how they can make a movie based on Silent Hill 3 after all the alternations they did to SH1 story in the first movie.

Lime

Press release:

Details slipped a few days ago that the sequel to Silent Hill was finally moving forward with a director. Today, Shock has received an official press release with more details on Silent Hill: Revelation 3D.

Fresh off their $270M+ box office sensation Resident Evil: Afterlife 3D, producers Samuel Hadida and Don Carmody have re-teamed to create Silent Hill: Revelation 3D, which is currently in pre-production. Silent Hill: Revelation 3D will also reunite Davis Films producer Hadida with Michael J. Bassett (Deathwatch, Solomon Kane), who will direct the 3D film on location this winter in the Toronto area. International sales are being handled by Lionsgate at the upcoming AFM.

Silent Hill: Revelation 3D, based on the acclaimed survival horror videogame franchise by KONAMI , is a sequel to Hadida and Carmody’s earlier collaboration, Christophe Gans’ Silent Hill. For years, Heather Mason and her father have been on the run, always one step ahead of dangerous forces that she doesn’t fully understand. Now on the eve of her 18th birthday, plagued by terrifying nightmares and the disappearance of her father, Heather discovers she's not who she thinks she is. The revelation leads her deeper into a demonic world that threatens to trap her in Silent Hill forever.

Hadida said: “We have high expectations for this continuation of the franchise with our reunited Silent Hill production team. Michael was our natural choice to write and direct. He understands the genre, is passionate about the Silent Hill franchise, and will bring his considerable action picture skills to a fresh and thrilling insight of the Silent Hill 3D world.”

Hadida noted further, “We are especially excited about our renewed collaboration with KONAMI. KONAMI’S sustained success with the seven video games published to date is unique testament to the ongoing appeal of this property”.

Carmody added: “Resident Evil: Afterlife 3D, Paranormal Activity 2, and Saw 3D show that global audiences have a continued thirst for the horror action genre. Silent Hill, like Resident Evil before it, is a beloved videogame, now becomes a successful film franchise that both encompasses and transcends the game world.”

“We are pleased to partner with Samuel and Don again to bring a new Silent Hill experience to the silver screen.” Said Careen Yapp, Vice President of KONAMI . Just as the franchise has evolved, we’re confident Silent Hill Revelation 3D will bring a new Silent Hill story that is both frightening and engaging. Their sensitivity to our loyal, avid, global community of fans will make for an amazing 3D experience!”

Hadida and Carmody most recently produced Resident Evil: Afterlife 3D starring Milla Jovovich, Ali Larter, and Wentworth Miller. Past collaborations include Resident Evil: Apocalypse.

Robert E. Howard’s Solomon Kane marked screenwriter and director Michael J. Bassett’s last feature film. He made his debut with Deathwatch, an atmospheric horror movie set in the trenches of World War I which starred Jamie Bell and Andy Serkis.

If I am reading the bolded correctly, that the production team of the first one is returning to producing this film, I have better hopes of this being visually consistent with the first film and/or the games. The visual aesthetic of the film was very impressive (it being a video game adaptation), so maybe this reunited production team will deliver the same level of quality.

Ellis Kim

Banned
...Its gonna be weird seeing as how they're trying to adapt the third game more directly than the amalgamation of Silent Hill-isms that is the first film, especially since they're now making Harry Mason canon to the film's universe.

I'm worried for the story, but I'm optimistic about the atmosphere. I'll be pleasantly surprised if the film actually has any sort of symbolic cohesiveness that the first film lacked (and threw Pyramid Head under the bus with it).

I look forward to seeing Robbie the Rabbit, though.

I always thought that beginning of SH2 went like:
James killed her wife, putting her into the trunk, fabricating the letter, driving to the toilet thing, looked himself in the mirror and the game begins

Or something like that. Doesn't James say that he has "no reason to open the trunk" anyway? :p

UrbanRats

PetriP-TNT said:
I always thought that beginning of SH2 went like:
James killed her wife, putting her into the trunk, fabricating the letter, driving to the toilet thing, looked himself in the mirror and the game begins

Or something like that. Doesn't James say that he has "no reason to open the trunk" anyway? :p
Could be, the only thing is:
Laura, imaginary or real?' Cause Eddie and Angela are real(i guess) but Maria isn't, so.. but Maria doesn't interact with anyone except James, while Laura interact with Eddie.
Also, Maria told us about seeing Laura run out from the Indian Runner(bowling place) but we never actually see her interact with the child.

On the other hand, in the "Born from a wish" extra chapter, Maria interact with the guy behind the door, IIRC.
So Laura might aswell be born from a "wish".

UrbanRats said:
Laura, imaginary or real?' Cause Eddie and Angela are real(i guess) but Maria isn't, so.. but Maria doesn't interact with anyone except James, while Laura interact with Eddie.
Also, Maria told us about seeing Laura run out from the Indian Runner(bowling place) but we never actually see her interact with the child.

On the other hand, in the "Born from a wish" extra chapter, Maria interact with the guy behind the door, IIRC.

Laura seemed pretty real from the "leave" ending, but then again I guess Maria did too. The older and surprisingly even more cynical I get, the more I come to believe that "in water" is the true canon ending. All of the others are just delusional fulfillment. Maria ending to satisfy his sexual deviancy, leave ending to redeem himself, especially delusional is the "rebirth" ending where it's implied that he actually resurrects Mary. Silent Hill doesn't give you what you want; ever.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
theinfinityissue said:
Laura seemed pretty real from the "leave" ending, but then again I guess Maria did too. The older and surprisingly even more cynical I get, the more I come to believe that "in water" is the true canon ending. All of the others are just delusional fulfillment. Maria ending to satisfy his sexual deviancy, leave ending to redeem himself, especially delusional is the "rebirth" ending where it's implied that he actually resurrects Mary. Silent Hill doesn't give you what you want; ever.
Unless you're Walter Sullivan. But even then, some Henry motherfucker shows up and tries to ruin your plan.

UrbanRats said:

Pretty sure Laura's real. She knows everything the Laura from Mary's letter knows, and there's no reason she couldn't be present. Plus, Eddie's the one to take her to town, so if she was created by the town, she didn't formulate within the town itself(note that hasn't stopped some certain other supernatural things from happening outside the town's borders)

As much as I wanted to see Silent Hill 2 adapted, the way the first one ended they would have screwed it up.

I think this film could hold truer to the games and it can include the backstory of Silent Hill 1 (game) while Heather is finding out who she really is. This has the potential to be good, and I'd rather have the first and second movies be unrelated.

TheJollyCorner said:
I got the
21 Sacraments
ending... which was awesome. :lol

That was the first ending I got too. Like SH2, it was depressing as hell.

Honestly, it's the "bad" endings that seem to fit the series the best.

I loved SH3's ending with
Heather pointing the gun at Douglas, then saying "gotcha!"
So good. :lol

randomwab

I wish I still had a link to the interview with Christophe Gans from when the first film came out where he said he really wanted to adapt the second game, but for fear of people not understanding why the town was like this and why all this was happening, he adapted the first game instead. Then he butchered the first game's story and never explained why the town allowed Alessa to run wild. Good job, Gans.

However, aside from the horrible story and dialogue, the first film looked and sounded fantastic. I guess if the same production team is on this one, that's at least something.

S1kkZ

randomwab said:
I wish I still had a link to the interview with Christophe Gans from when the first film came out where he said he really wanted to adapt the second game, but for fear of people not understanding why the town was like this and why all this was happening, he adapted the first game instead. Then he butchered the first game's story and never explained why the town allowed Alessa to run wild. Good job, Gans.
the studio butchered the story, not gans. the original version was 3 hours long and the father/husband was not in the movie (only at the beginning). the studio was worried that no male lead character was present and that the film was way too long and complicated. so they cut down the film and filmed additional scenes with sean bean.

too bad the orignal cut was never released.

Monocle

I'm pretty fond of the first film, mostly because it nails Silent Hill's atmosphere and tone and uses music from the games to great effect. Its major weakness is the ending, that stupid CG-driven orgy of violence. The originally planned finale in which five Pyramid Heads slaughter the cult members would have been vastly better.

I look forward to this sequel. It's tremendously good news that the production team from the original film is returning, because now, even if every other aspect of Revelation sucks, it's virtually guaranteed to look beautiful.

Lard

Banned
Monocle said:
I'm pretty fond of the first film, mostly because it nails Silent Hill's atmosphere and tone and uses music from the games to great effect. Its major weakness is the ending, that stupid CG-driven orgy of violence. The originally planned finale in which five Pyramid Heads slaughter the cult members would have been vastly better.

Details please

fernoca

Though, the mention of "favorite enemies from the first movie coming back" seems to imply that the Nurses and Red Pyramid will return in this sequel, since those were the favorites from the first movie.

Now I have no problem with that, since both looked and were cool in the movie (loved the scene with the Nurses); but I know some of the hardcore fans of the series will be really pissed off if they see Pyramid in this movie because of he being added just for the sake of adding a cool enemy; instead of story purposes.

At the same time, both at least on looks were added for a reason in the first movie.
The Nurses looked "sexy" because it was the body Alessa kinda wished for her, after being burned alive. Plus them protecting the entrance to ther room, since she spent the rest of her life i na hospital, the nurses became the mother figure and teh kind of woman she wished she was. Pyramid was shown as "a little sexy" (naked from behind) since it was supposed to represent sexuality and male attraction; something that Alessa was never going to know. (or at least that's what they said in some old interviews)

So if handled with care, it may be cool. We'll see.

Lard said:
Details please
Those are most of the detais actually.
The original ending had 6 Pyramids, each carrying different weapons and killing all the cult members; as a reference to Dante's Inferno. Was changed because of budgetary reasons.

I did liked the new -barb wires/rape- ending, because it was too violent; which I didn't expected from the movie. So it was a little shocking, but nice too. :lol

Monocle

Lard said:
Details please
Well, turns out I was wrong about the number of Pyramid Heads. There were going to be six of them.

Wikipedia said:
As well, Gans stated that his original vision of the film's finale revolved around six Red Pyramids appearing inside the church, each carrying a different weapon, and slaughtering the cult members in reference to Dante's Inferno.[7] When budgetary constraints prevented this ending from being filmed, he created the new ending that revolved around the barbed wire slaying of the cult by Alessa, which was inspired by the erotic anime Legend of the Overfiend.[7]
Source is a French interview with director Christophe Gans, though I seem to recall finding out about the original ending from a different source. It might have been mentioned in passing in one of the bonus features on the Silent Hill DVD.

Edit: Wow, beaten like an anemic redhead in a Russian prison.

S1kkZ said:
the studio butchered the story, not gans. the original version was 3 hours long and the father/husband was not in the movie (only at the beginning). the studio was worried that no male lead character was present and that the film was way too long and complicated. so they cut down the film and filmed additional scenes with sean bean.

too bad the orignal cut was never released.
I still hope to see the original cut one day.

the Sean Bean parts were some of my favorite scenes in the film, so that's an addition I actually liked.

What ever happened to the heavily-extended Blu-Ray version that both Gans and Avery talked about shortly after the original DVD/BD release?

Also, was it ever explained why Yamaoka isn't listed for music credits during the end? They just list the guy that remastered/remixed (sometimes barely noticeable- i.e. Laura Plays the Piano) existing Yamaoka tracks. That kinda pissed me off when I first saw that in the theater.

Shit, Silent Hill 3 hopefully could be made into a good movie. The game was my 2nd favorite, as Silent Hill 2 was my first. I'm hoping it can creep me out like how the first movie did.

I liked the first one a lot when I first saw it, but can't get myself to sit through it again. It just feels boring and stupid now, somehow. Strange, really.

Top Bottom