• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill: Revelations - First look, story info

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I liked the Silent Hill movie, so I'm looking forward to this. Hopefully the cast will be smaller, the cult was not bad but it clashed a bit with the Silent Hill feel.

jett

D-Member
TheJollyCorner said:
who's Harington going to play? Vincent?

Vincent.jpg

black_13

Banned
Nice!

As a fan, the first movie was damn good to me and about as decent video game movie adaptation has happened in recent times. Wish they had gone with the 2nd games plot but 3 is good too.

anaron

Bassett has addressed what worked (lol) and what didn't in the first film and at least, *appears* to get the essense of the games a lot better than Gans did.

Beyond its audio/visual strengths, I can't believe how anyone could like the first film. It completely failed in its fundamental goal to be y'know, SCARY.

Really enjoyed the first one. Not flawless but a good game adaptation.
Hope the new one has more 'WTF!?OMG, OMG, OMG!' and 'I just shat myself' moments like the games.
And empty dog houses

Youta Mottenai said:
Really enjoyed the first one. Not flawless but a good game adaptation.
Hope the new one has more 'WTF!?OMG, OMG, OMG!' and 'I just shat myself' moments like the games.
And empty dog houses
But how do you know if it's a doghouse if there's no dog around

Davis Films announced today that the stars of the original Silent Hill movie, Radha Mitchell and Sean Bean, will reprise their roles as Rose and Christopher Da Silva, respectively, in the now-filming sequel, Silent Hill: Revelation 3D.

Deborah Kara Unger will also reprise her role as Dahlia Gillespie from the 2006 original. They join Adelaide Clemens (Wolverine) and Kit Harington (Game of Thrones) in the cast.

IjEq1.jpg

http://movies.ign.com/articles/115/1155773p1.html

G-Fex

Replicant said:
The first film fucked it up in so many ways except visuals/creature design. Let me count the ways:

1. Changing the main protagonist from Harry to some unknown chick for all-female power. It doesn't matter that the original story already have Cybill in it. But then they need to shoehorned Sean Bean just to have a male character. Well, fuck that, if you want a male character, you should have used Harry in the first place. The story was about the affection that a father has for his adopted daughter to the point that he's willing to go through Hell for her. To change that to a mother's instinct to protect her daughter is so predictable and cliche.

2. They fucked Cybill's character in so many ways it's not funny. And that ending
where she got burned in stake was nasty
and not the kind of horror I expect from Silent Hill.

3. Pyramid Head. Why the fuck do they need to include him without any reference to the kind of fear that he represents? If you need to include him, fine, but at least give some justification as to from whose fear he materializes out of.

4. Dahlia is completely changed in this story. And for no good reason too. Instead they add in some new character to serve as a villain. WTF?!

5. Lame ending which doesn't serve as a lead in for this sequel.

Because of that, I'd rather they start off fresh and forgetting DeSalva (or whatever crappy family name they came up with for the first film) family. Just start off with Harry and Heather fresh.

Are you Pheleous?

Kidding but you're absolutely right. It's what really bothered me about the movie.

legacyzero

Banned
Nice.

I'm hoping this one is better than the first.

either that, or I hope the movie really sucks, so that the game devs wont have an excuse to base anymore Silent Hill games in any way shape or form on the movie again.

I was hoping they would just do a new story in the movie without referring to the characters from the first movie (much like most of the Silent Hill games do), but I don't even know what to think of where the story is going now that they're returning.

All I can surmise thus far is that the game's story is going to be more mangled than ever (so.. Dahlia did this shit to both the Da Silva's AND the Masons??).

G-Fex

Revolutionary said:
I was hoping they would just do a new story in the movie without referring to the characters from the first movie (much like most of the Silent Hill games do), but I don't even know what to think of where the story is going now that they're returning.

All I can surmise thus far is that the game's story is going to be more mangled than ever (so.. Dahlia did this shit to both the Da Silva's AND the Masons??).

I was really hoping so too cause I hate "The Dasilvas" Awful characters.

oh well, it's a clusterfuck.

hmm shouldn't
sean bean
be the father if this is a sequel to the first film?

AbsoluteZero said:
The original Silent Hill movie is arguably the best "Videogame Movie" ever, so I'm await this one with tentative excitement.

j58sxk.jpg

G-Fex

Replicant said:
This doesn't make sense whatsoever. The girl and her DaSilva mother was trapped in Silent Hill/dead at the end. This movie's story will be one big clusterfuck. And Sean Bean's character name was not Harry.

bingo.

Should've just rebooted/made it not related to the stupid original characters of the first movie.

Replicant said:
This doesn't make sense whatsoever. The girl and her DaSilva mother was trapped in Silent Hill/dead at the end. This movie's story will be one big clusterfuck. And Sean Bean's character name was not Harry.

Or perhaps Heather gets stuck in Silent Hill and just encounters the previous people who have become trapped? Perhaps Harry is played by someone else? Perhaps there are clones? Perhaps Chris became Harry in WitSec?

At the moment, I'll assume Heather is just crossing paths with other people who have become trapped.

Lime

Replicant said:

I don't want to defend this film or anything, but you reading way too much into this. The picture could mean many things.

And you should probably lower your expectations. Here's my prediction:

• Best case scenario: Mediocre film with serviceable aspects.
  • Most likely scenario: Facepalming game-to-film adaptation with the occasional fan-service.

Replicant

Possibilities/fanwank:

1. Despite looking seemingly evil at the end of the first film, that little girl Sharon is actually nice and somehow managed to escape to the real world as a little girl and is picked up by her father, Chris. Together, they go on a witness protection and assume the alias of "Harry and Heather Mason".

Cons: There's no real reason for Chris to go on witness protection since he wasn't being hunted by anything nor did he experienced any of the horror of Silent Hill.

2. The evil "Sharon" we saw in the first film was actually the evil half (maybe the one Heather will have to fight later on in the story). The other half was reborn as a baby somewhere in Silent Hill and was found by Chris. Chris raised the girl as his own daughter, use an alias "Harry Mason" and called the girl "Heather".

Cons: The same problem as the first one. There's no real reason for Chris to go on witness protection/using a fake name.

3. The evil "Sharon" we saw in the first film was actually the evil half (maybe the one Heather will have to fight later on in the story). The other half was reborn as a baby somewhere in Silent Hill and was found by Harry (played by different actor). Harry raised the girl as his own daughter and called her "Heather".

Cons: Not much except that it decimated all of Harry's original story. Also what's the point of hiring Sean Bean in this story? To be a prop again just like in the first film?

S1kkZ

Replicant said:
and they still are trapped. who says that rose and her husband are the parents of heather? rose and her evil daughter are still trapped in silent hill and sean bean is looking for them.
heather will cross paths with rose and maybe sean bean but thats it.

Replicant

S1kkZ said:
and they still are trapped. who says that rose and her husband are the parents of heather? rose and her evil daughter are still trapped in silent hill and sean bean is looking for them.
heather will cross paths with rose and maybe sean bean but thats it.

Uhm, that scenario means there are two sets of Alessas running around. And where does Heather comes from if she wasn't Alessa in the first place? Why wasn't she targeted in the original instead of that girl, Sharon?

S1kkZ

Replicant said:
Uhm, that scenario means there are two Alessas running around. And where does Heather comes from if she wasn't Alessa in the first place?
maybe heather is not alessa in this story (rose looks the same in that pic, so not many years have passed). they changed stuff in the first one and they will change stuff again (which is not bad). if you really expect them to exactly follow the game story, you will be disappointed.

lets wait and see.

Replicant

S1kkZ said:
maybe heather is not alessa in this story (rose looks the same in that pic, so not many years have passed). they changed stuff in the first one and they will change stuff again (which is not bad). if you really expect them to exactly follow the game story, you will be disappointed.

I'm already disappointed with the first film. Being disappointed with the sequel is natural extension. Heather not being Alessa is stupid. If she's not Alessa then there's no major reason for her to get dragged in there unless she's done some evil stuff like James. In that case then don't call her Heather and dress her similarly like Heather in the game to bait the game fans.

man the first SH movie was awesome. best videogame based movie ever IMO. (not that hard to do I know)

sign me up for this shit. also silent hill was one of the first blu-rays I ever bought. <3

I'm actually kind of excited that it's being shot in 3D, they can do some really awesome atmospheric effects with fog and ash, stuff like that.

Also I don't think
Rose and Sharon died, they were just merely "trapped" in Silent Hill. I suppose it's totally alright to theorize that they died
, but not even the games really make that clear aside from the fact that
since SH3 was a direct sequel to the first game, and it had Harry and Cheryl living in a town outside of SH, that they didn't die in the first game. Pretty positive that's what's going on here, only they're stuck in Silent Hill, not dead

Ichabod

Banned
This movie must have scenes in the subway and church. By far the most unsettling/creepy/omgiwantoutofhere settings for me in SH3.

Jroderton said:
And burning people!

Let's hope not. That stuff wasn't handled very well in the first movie, despite my absolute appreciation for all the violence at the very end.

I think if I had to choose two aspects from the game to be used in the film, I would pick Valtiel and Stanley Coleman. If Michael Bassett truly knows his SH, in no way could he possibly ignore Stanley Coleman.

Also, wouldn't mind to have the film end in the same kind of church... the bowels of the church at the end of SH3 remains to this day the most amazing horror-driven location in just about anything related to the genre, period.

anaron

brandonh83 said:
Let's hope not. That stuff wasn't handled very well in the first movie, despite my absolute appreciation for all the violence at the very end.
As a fan of the games, how could you possibly like a scene that antithetical to the what the series is all about?

Mar

Really liked the first one. Here's hoping this one is just as good.

Happy to hear the Bean is in it. I love all things Bean.

anaron said:
As a fan of the games, how could you possibly like a scene that antithetical to the what the series is all about?

The games have plenty of violence and gore too. And I felt that the first movie had enough "quieter" scenes heavy on atmosphere. So when the bloodletting began in the third act, I didn't mind it.

anaron

brandonh83 said:
The games have plenty of violence and gore too. And I felt that the first movie had enough "quieter" scenes heavy on atmosphere. So when the bloodletting began in the third act, I didn't mind it.
The violence and gore in the series has never approached that level of gratuitous "HEY LOOK AT THIS."

.JayZii

Banned
That picture looks like they are heading in the right direction. The actual game story would not work well in a condensed movie form. It will be changed, so applying the game's story logic to it is a spurious argument.

I just hope this one doesn't go balls to the wall, barbed-wire tentacle rape extravaganza in the end as the first one did.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom