• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Simpsons Tapped Out |OT| Push Notification

Alright fellow tapped outers, ill be on vacation for a few weeks so please don't unfriend me when you see I havent logged in for a while (enkida571)

Javier

Level 54 update now available. Includes
Ruth Powers for regular and Laura Powers for Premium.
Also a great gag with the game's first
fake-out quest.

UberTag

I've got to say that the writing and joke material that kicked off this Soccer-themed event has been top-shelf.
I've found myself laughing multiple times already whereas I barely chuckled at any of the Sideshow Bob gags.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Looks like you can rush a player upgrade by spending 0 donuts if you're only short of the amount needed by a few amateur bucks. I wonder if they'll patch that.

UberTag

Tap Ball event calendar time... start hording those foam fingers.

tap-ball-2015-act-one-calendar-day-2.png

Feel free to add me (gaTrebU) if you haven't done so yet.

GeeTeeCee

Tap Ball event calendar time... start hording those foam fingers.

tap-ball-2015-act-one-calendar-day-2.png

Feel free to add me (gaTrebU) if you haven't done so yet.

I started just under a day late so it's no surprise I'm already behind schedule. Haven't managed to win a single match against other players yet. At least the Tap Ball mechanic doesn't appear to be the primary way to gather resources, so I can safely focus on the daily missions instead. I kind of wish the event was shorter, the month long events become a bit of a slog by the end.

AleeN634

Hot tip: If you're a little short on upgrading a player check the donut cost, when you're close enough it will cost 0 donuts to complete the upgrade.

Leependi

So my phone keeps loading up a new game when I log in instead of my actual world. Is this some weird server issue or have I lost everything?

krae_man

After playing this game for two years I am now finally tapped out.

In the beginning when there wasn't an event, Maintaining my town only took 5 minutes twice a day to get all my taps in, then that slowly started growing to the point now where it takes a good 30 minutes to tap everything and that's not including extra time during events. It became too much.

I haven't played in over 3 weeks and I don't miss it.

UberTag

In the beginning when there wasn't an event, Maintaining my town only took 5 minutes twice a day to get all my taps in, then that slowly started growing to the point now where it takes a good 30 minutes to tap everything and that's not including extra time during events. It became too much.

Congrats on conquering that Tapped Out addiction, krae_man. You're an inspiration to the rest of us.

Hellers

I was starting to lose my addiction about a month ago. Then I went on holiday for 2 weeks with no internet and came back to a football event (I hate football). I just couldn't be bothered. It also seems to have cured my other daily games addiction too.

Also I changed my EA password last week and now I can't login. Final nail in the addiction. I'm free!

What? A Futurama game? FUCK

TeddyBoy

I'm in the same boat Krae, I haven't played the game since the football update began and I've not missed it.

I spent real money on donuts and enjoyed building my Springfield up, but after a while it became too difficult to manage the massive city it became. There was too much to do and since I've started working I can't really afford to give 30 minutes a day to something I don't enjoy that much :(

The Futurama game may tempt me back but I know I should stay away.

Won

Yeah, as someone who doesn't engage in other games like this, I keep wondering if there is some design rule that forbids adding some tool to make things more manageable again.

The whole thing misses it's purpose as a time waster at this point.

Personally I don't touch it between events and try to keep things at a minimum during events. This one at least seems to be easy, while the whole Bob thing was just stupid.

JoeM86

Yeah I don't bother setting my characters for 24 hour tasks/tapping all the buildings now as that takes the better part of half an hour.

UberTag

It's rather unfortunate that a good number of people are "tapping out" on Tapped Out during this event as I actually consider the writing for this one to be quite strong.

Of course, that has nothing to do with how tedious things can get. I've also dialed down the number of times I log in outside of events. I don't mind grinding during events because I've got a bunch of stuff to tap anyhow. I've almost completely unlocked all of the recently added land squares and then I'll be back to scrounging up dough for the Krusty Burger Oil Rig and the Sit-N-Rotate again.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
They really need to add a "Tap All Buildings" option or something.

I'm surprised they haven't offered a "set all characters to 12 hour tasks" or "tap all completed buildings/characters" option yet. Would seem like an easy way to get people to spend donuts for those conveniences.

Hellers

If I could make a one off payment to get access to those two features I'd still be playing. And if I could actually get my password working of course.

Entropia

No One Remembers
I've been playing a bit more lately, though that just might be because I've had more free time. I really only focus on events/quests, I can't be bothered to send all my townspeople on their tasks.

They really need to add a "Tap All Buildings" option or something.

Family Guy just implemented it. Only for max level players. Sooo jealous that this hasn't come to Tapped Out yet.

I'm like Krae, it takes me 30+ minutes to collect everything and set everyone on tasks. I didn't enjoy Tap Ball, either. Just not into the sports theme.

krae_man

How long have they been doing this cookie Kwan West Side thing?

I decided to open the game to see whats new and its shit tons. New level, new FP item, a pile of new buildings, a crap load of new land and this new rich part of town on the other side of the mountains.

fisheyes

How long have they been doing this cookie Kwan West Side thing?

I decided to open the game to see whats new and its shit tons. New level, new FP item, a pile of new buildings, a crap load of new land and this new rich part of town on the other side of the mountains.

Oh man, where have you been? It's been there for like... An hour haha.

Really liking how you can seemingly move everything from regular Springfield up there and vice versa. Once I've got all the land unlocked my town might be hit with a massive rebuild I think.

Edit: actually level 55 and the FP prize came out late last week I think.

krae_man

This is so slow with 30 second tasks to start and you can't even stop doing then 30 second tasks once you buy everything that takes that currency because it becomes a consumable to generate the next currency you need.

Im up to scrolls or whatever now which take 8 minutes. But I've progressed too fast because my real estate value is nowhere near high enough to unlock most of the jobs yet.

krae_man

Okay, I've done pretty much everything I can while waiting for the first quest to finish.

It was a couple hours of straight grinding but hopefully it will pay dividends later.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
So what's up with the towels/mats or whatever they are? There doesn't seem to be any way to increase storage early on, yet stuff that you need to unlock with them for a quest already requires 5 more than you can carry.

krae_man

So what's up with the towels/mats or whatever they are? There doesn't seem to be any way to increase storage early on, yet stuff that you need to unlock with them for a quest already requires 5 more than you can carry.

Unlocking extra characters that can earn them increases your maximum storage.

fisheyes

You need to get to a certain Property value (was it 12M or something?) to unlock somebody's job at the gym, which then increases storage. I grinded out a bunch of condos using the furniture, etc to get me there. I think it's just a way of stopping you from speeding through. I imagine you'll hit the same wall with the pills and the awards statues when soon too.

UberTag

This new update really wants you to be playing it all the time eh?? :p
I don't see why that's necessary. It's not a limited time event or anything.
No harm in taking your time with it.
If you go ham on the update and unlock everything, Tapped Out will just revert back to being boring again.

Entropia

No One Remembers
If you go ham on the update and unlock everything, Tapped Out will just revert back to being boring again.

Oh, it's not a timed thing? Good.

Hellers

I agree but with a slight issue. I think the numbers and timings are wrong. Chairs take 30 seconds to generate and you'll end up needing a huge amount. Coffee takes 2 minutes and once you start upgrading buildings you need a huge amount. tablets are 5 mins, yoga mats 8 and pills 12 minutes. Given the amount of stuff there is to do and the average two to three times daily playstyle of the average player I can't see how this is designed well. Unless you're tapping lots and lots you're going to take months and months just to even start to make a dent.

My normal playstyle is tap everything on a morning and then again on an evening with 8 hour jobs during the day and 12 hour jobs overnight. If I try to fit that playstyle into Springfield Heights it doesn't work.

I do like the update. I'm certainly finding it more visually appealing than Krustyland and it's nice to have to without a load screen but if anything it's worse than the events for expecting you to play constantly. Yes it has the benefit of being a permanent addition to the game meaning no rush but if I try to factor it in to my regular playstyle I'm not going to progress at anything close to the speed I used to. You end up with a lot of springfielders doing very short jobs and needing to do them constantly.

Example. One of the early quests is to unlock the first beach piece. That needs 100 chairs. If you sit and do it all in one sitting it's not too bad (Otto bug aside). If you try to get those 100 through regular gameplay you'd be lucky if it only took weeks. Multiply that by the rest of the stuff you need and you can see what I mean.

I've said this before about Simpsons and Family Guy. These games should be (And indeed originally were) designed around small and short play sessions a few times a day. Otherwise they penalise people who work for a living. Instead they've gone down this route of thinking they have more chances of getting your money they more they make you play.

I'm playing a lot at the moment just to see how far I can push it but I can very easily see me giving up on it soon. It's just too much of a time investment. Just look at how many items you need to do the upgrades for the buildings. Then notice you can have 10 of each building. I can see what they're trying to do. They're wanting to do something like Krustyland but that will provide a long term thing to do. Something that will take ages. I just think the design is off. It ties up too many characters and because short jobs don't fit with normal playstyles it kinda breaks things.

*Edit* Forgot to make my point
The key thing with this sort of thing is you have to let the player feel like they're progressing. It's why people get bored when they feel they're running on the spot. If it ends up taking you weeks just to do one condo upgrade it's not going to work and people will drift off.

fisheyes

I agree but with a slight issue. I think the numbers and timings are wrong. Chairs take 30 seconds to generate and you'll end up needing a huge amount. Coffee takes 2 minutes and once you start upgrading buildings you need a huge amount. tablets are 5 mins, yoga mats 8 and pills 12 minutes. Given the amount of stuff there is to do and the average two to three times daily playstyle of the average player I can't see how this is designed well. Unless you're tapping lots and lots you're going to take months and months just to even start to make a dent.

My normal playstyle is tap everything on a morning and then again on an evening with 8 hour jobs during the day and 12 hour jobs overnight. If I try to fit that playstyle into Springfield Heights it doesn't work.

I do like the update. I'm certainly finding it more visually appealing than Krustyland and it's nice to have to without a load screen but if anything it's worse than the events for expecting you to play constantly. Yes it has the benefit of being a permanent addition to the game meaning no rush but if I try to factor it in to my regular playstyle I'm not going to progress at anything close to the speed I used to. You end up with a lot of springfielders doing very short jobs and needing to do them constantly.

Example. One of the early quests is to unlock the first beach piece. That needs 100 chairs. If you sit and do it all in one sitting it's not too bad (Otto bug aside). If you try to get those 100 through regular gameplay you'd be lucky if it only took weeks. Multiply that by the rest of the stuff you need and you can see what I mean.

I've said this before about Simpsons and Family Guy. These games should be (And indeed originally were) designed around small and short play sessions a few times a day. Otherwise they penalise people who work for a living. Instead they've gone down this route of thinking they have more chances of getting your money they more they make you play.

I'm playing a lot at the moment just to see how far I can push it but I can very easily see me giving up on it soon. It's just too much of a time investment. Just look at how many items you need to do the upgrades for the buildings. Then notice you can have 10 of each building. I can see what they're trying to do. They're wanting to do something like Krustyland but that will provide a long term thing to do. Something that will take ages. I just think the design is off. It ties up too many characters and because short jobs don't fit with normal playstyles it kinda breaks things.

*Edit* Forgot to make my point
The key thing with this sort of thing is you have to let the player feel like they're progressing. It's why people get bored when they feel they're running on the spot. If it ends up taking you weeks just to do one condo upgrade it's not going to work and people will drift off.

The thing is though that it's not exactly a game that demands your full attention - give yourself a half hour or so a night while watching tv and you can make a fair dent in it all each night. It's less time consuming, and less concentration needed, than working through your friends list.

Admittedly I'm on holiday at the moment, so I'm probably not the best person to ask, but I made plenty of progress yesterday while watching episodes of Community.

I like the addition, personally.

Hellers

Don`t get me wrong. I like it a lot. I just think the way the timers are being structured in the game for these updates could be better

Top Bottom